Nikola Katic

If one of them are sold, then we'll definitely be signing another central defender.

Niko was back up before his injury, so he's certainly not going straight into the team as a replacement for one of them, after recovering from a major injury.

Our defence has progressed massively since Niko was last involved.
Our defence has progressed massively since Niko was last involved, correct. The improvement Goldson has made cannot be underestimated. He was very ropey at the start and now he is probably our most consistent performer. If the gaffer can get that out of Niko then we will have a very good defender on our hands as he has all the physical attributes to be a top defender.

Every player we bring in has development potential and Niko is no different. It may take a little longer but SG is a big Katic fan.

If the club believes Niko is a long term option then I'd expect once he is fit he'll be loaned out. He'll need game time though after that injury. I think the way Rangers operate now he'll get the time he needs.

The club also has Balogun on an option but given his age and the fact he also needs his game time managed I'd be surprised if he got more than another year if that.

I think Edmundson could also be out on loan for the year next season if the Balogun option is taken unless the club feels the Covid breach cannot be forgiven.

Clearly, Simpson is one for the future - a 4 1/2 year deal.

We might need to stave off some interest in the summer for Goldson and Helander but I think both will want a crack at the Champions league personally.

I see our centre back setup like this next season: Goldson, Helander, Simpson and Balogun with Niko and George out on loan for the season giving King the option to be the fifth guy in and around the first-team squad.

Goldson may well be sold if he doesn't sign an extension. would love to see Niko get a few games and a medal. he deserves one

Our defence has progressed massively since Niko was last involved, correct. The improvement Goldson has made cannot be underestimated. He was very ropey at the start and now he is probably our most consistent performer. If the gaffer can get that out of Niko then we will have a very good defender on our hands as he has all the physical attributes to be a top defender.

Every player we bring in has development potential and Niko is no different. It may take a little longer but SG is a big Katic fan.

I agree mate and I'm a big Katic fan myself.

However, he's not going to be ready to start for us at the beginning of next season and he'll need regular football more than anything else.

A 6 month loan would be best for all parties imo.

If the club believes Niko is a long term option then I'd expect once he is fit he'll be loaned out. He'll need game time though after that injury. I think the way Rangers operate now he'll get the time he needs.

The club also has Balogun on an option but given his age and the fact he also needs his game time managed I'd be surprised if he got more than another year if that.

I think Edmundson could also be out on loan for the year next season if the Balogun option is taken unless the club feels the Covid breach cannot be forgiven.

Clearly, Simpson is one for the future - a 4 1/2 year deal.

We might need to stave off some interest in the summer for Goldson and Helander but I think both will want a crack at the Champions league personally.

I see our centre back setup like this next season: Goldson, Helander, Simpson and Balogun with Niko and George out on loan for the season giving King the option to be the fifth guy in and around the first-team squad.

Unless King has a growth spurt, he's unfortunately going to be too small for a central defender.

Thought it was interesting that he made his 1st team debut at right back and seemed to be on the bench as full back cover last Sunday.

A big fan of Katic, possibly the best siege/warrior type of defender we have. In most games we don't need that type however, I think he has a lot of attributes and could be moulded by Gerrard and his coaching staff into a first class player for Rangers.

I hope he stays. And plays. His aerial presence is brilliant.
mans I’ll never forget his glorious winner at the piggery.
Based on nothing except instinct, I can see Helander moving before Niko being honest.
I thought that when we bought Simpson. If we can get our money back on Fil, I would see that as a win win.

Unless King has a growth spurt, he's unfortunately going to be too small for a central defender.

Thought it was interesting that he made his 1st team debut at right back and seemed to be on the bench as full back cover last Sunday.

No offence but that is a Scottish mentality thing.

Ayala, Baresi, Cannavaro, Córdoba, Mascherano, were under 5 foot 9, Puyol, De Boer, Koeman, Beckenbaur, Moore were all under 6 foot.

I think both Gough at Dundee Utd, and Craig Moore for us, made their debuts at right back, Ajer has for both them and at Kilmarnock. A lot of centre halves get a run out at full back during their development. Less pressure, less chance of losing a goal from a mistake out wide than centre of your defence.

Katic won't be involved next season he won't have played for a year so it would be best for him to go out on loan and go get a run of games for the season. After that then he might put himself back in the fold.

No offence but that is a Scottish mentality thing.

Ayala, Baresi, Cannavaro, Córdoba, Mascherano, were under 5 foot 9, Puyol, De Boer, Koeman, Beckenbaur, Moore were all under 6 foot.

I think both Gough at Dundee Utd, and Craig Moore for us, made their debuts at right back, Ajer has for both them and at Kilmarnock. A lot of centre halves get a run out at full back during their development. Less pressure, less chance of losing a goal from a mistake out wide than centre of your defence.

All true mate, but it's not just the Scottish way, it's also the Gerrard way.

When there was talk of whether Ross McCrorie was a better central defender or holding midfielder, Gerrard said he didn't have the height or physique to play central defence regularly.

McCrorie is 6ft, so probably slightly taller than King, at the moment.

That's interesting about King. I might be thinking of another academy player then, there was a youngster who played either earlier this season or late last. He was a big strong lad and did not do himself any harm on his appearance. Since they've updated the website I've not found an easy way of getting info regarding the academy.

I know we have better defenders but he's my boy Masons fave CB so I defo hope he's here for 56.

Love the way folk write Katic off with the rough edges stuff etc. Of course he’s got rough edges. Never seen a CH at his age that didn’t. That’s where coaches earn their wages. Katic could and hopefully will have a big role to play with us. Get him fit and training alongside Goldson, Helander and the staff and I still reckon we could have a player who will do well for us and move for more than decent profit.

That's interesting about King. I might be thinking of another academy player then, there was a youngster who played either earlier this season or late last. He was a big strong lad and did not do himself any harm on his appearance. Since they've updated the website I've not found an easy way of getting info regarding the academy.

Lewis Mayo, who's currently on loan at Dunfermline perhaps?

I think a 6 month loan to get him playing games and back up to speed, then assess in January if we want to bring him back or keep him on loan.

Love the big man, he's got a future with us and has time to develop.

I would love big niko to get at least a few mins this season. Gutted that the big man won’t get a winners medal in such a big season. Hopefully he has spent his year on the sidelines studying the game and will come back a much stronger player.

He's ahead of Simpson for me. An injury to Goldson or Helander and we'll need him big time.

He's not though.
He will be out for at least a full year, after a very serious injury.
He'll be in no position to cover for Goldson or Helander for a long time yet.

Simpson is ahead of Niko, as things stand.

Things may well look different next Xmas.

My interpretation of the CD players is Simpson is in early under assessment as to exactly what his capabilities are right now and what they could be . And developing an awareness of our defensive system and his role .

Goldson has been impressive this season his passing has improved immensely from the previous seasons and many people claim he is the leader in driving communications and defensive policy . He does of course have weaknesses but that’s every player on the planet so ideally he will continue to work on those .

Helander too has become reliable and dependable and while we like to use a rotation to protect him from injuries he is very much a starter and the staff seem to have belief in him . He too can improve most notably his passing seems to be down on what it was initially so he can do it but I feel he has to improve further again and I’m pretty sure he can .

Balogun was the short term signing but I feel he has been an impressive and yes dependable defender for us and will get an extension and be here for our CL attempt. Good passer on his rhs but when having to play on the other he has the same issue as NK eg and no doubt CG would have the same playing off his left . This suggests to me he would not be an ideal starter on lhs CD . He is still quickest with best acceleration / deceleration / footwork of them all and for me that explains why SG likes him so much . Looking at his career he has had gaffs in him where he gets caught in overplay and danger mode which has caused heartache , but I have to say we have avoided that this season so well done LB. Another plus is we now know he has flexibility in playing RB when we are short so another advantage for him as I don’t believe the others are capable at fullback .

Katic is a guy I like and as a player too . Bigger and stronger and more commanding than all the others we have . Some people say his attacking of the ball is also a weakness I’d say that’s something that’s relatively simple to resolve and control and curb . So often he has had to play on the lhs CD and this has been a genuine limitation and strain for his distribution . Were he to play on the rhs Id say we would see a real improvement straight away . He does sometimes get a bit urgent and impetuous in enegaging opponents rather than working as part of the defensive unit . A major plus for Niko is his aerial conviction both defensively and offensively eg I don’t think that st mirren winner in LC is allowed to invade our danger zone if he is on the park as he power attacks those.

where this leaves next season imo is Katic & Simpson will go on loan , Edmundson will be traded out , and imo another left sided CD will come in . of course if any of the CG FH LB leave then they too will be replaced but we will end up with two rights and two lefts imo .

Last edited:
He's ahead of Simpson for me. An injury to Goldson or Helander and we'll need him big time.
I think he may be ahead in terms of where you, I and many other fans would rate him (based on only the 30 mins we've seen of Simpson).

However, this is a serious injury he's recovering from and there's still no guarantees he's fit to play when pre-season comes around. He's going to need time to come back. It's so unfortunate for the lad but football can be cruel. I think he'll go on loan once he's able to play because I think Rangers rate him for the long term.

Based on what, exactly? 30 mins?
He's not though.
He will be out for at least a full year, after a very serious injury.
He'll be in no position to cover for Goldson or Helander for a long time yet.

Simpson is ahead of Niko, as things stand.

Things may well look different next Xmas.
I think he may be ahead in terms of where you, I and many other fans would rate him (based on only the 30 mins we've seen of Simpson).

However, this is a serious injury he's recovering from and there's still no guarantees he's fit to play when pre-season comes around. He's going to need time to come back. It's so unfortunate for the lad but football can be cruel. I think he'll go on loan once he's able to play because I think Rangers rate him for the long term.

I should gave clarified - I was meaning next season. With a pre-season behind him I'd be having Katic ahead of Simpson.

we're a much better team than the team he featured in even if it's just a case of more tactically sound. I have faith that he can step up though.

I think the boy has a big future with rangers, age is on his side to have a long career with rangers.

I recall how many people on this Forum were writing off Borna. Patience proved to be the wiser virtue and he eventually put things together and became a mainstay of Rangers probate league-winning side. I'm convinced that Katic, whilst still raw in some respects, does have the potential to siucceed at Ibrox.

He has the physical attributes to cope with the Scottish game and poses a legitimate goal-threat in the box with his heading ability. He has age on his side, and with patience and perhaps some additional specialized coaching - from, say, a Richard Gough - Katie could well become a mainstay in the team.

Gerrard wouldnt have given Niko the contract extension he gave him, if he didnt believe he was a player with a big future for us.

Its important he isnt rushed back, knee ligament injuries are incredibly delicate, let the lad take his time. Even if next season he needs loan time, who cares? He will be here for years yet, which is one of the reasons Gerrard has brought him along as slowly as he has done. We need to be patient with Niko next year as a support too. That type of injury can still mentally affect a player, a long time after the physical damage has healed. Weve got some great options at CB just now anyway.

Just give him a chance to be there for 55-day if possible - to celebrate fully with his team mates and (virtually) with us. He played his part getting us back with a great attitude and some important performances; highlight for me being a goal at sharkheid

Next year... he can and will improve and can be a great CB for us. Maybe after a loan spell. Be positive guys!

Back