Nnamdi Ofoborh

coopsleftboot

Saw the name in the Winter Transfer Rumours thread, almost forgotten about him! Appreciate he's been held back because of a heart condition, so searched for an update on his current condition, but couldn't find anything meaningful. Anyone any idea what's going on with him?

Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery, strikes me as another Gerrard cheap punt just because he was English and his club were in the EPL similar to Simpson from the same club. Couldn't get near the bench for Bournemouth and could barely get a game for Wycombe, but he's signed anyway.

Maybe he will end up being a player, but I'd be surprised.

Last edited:
Think Gerrard said he was doing a pre season, not sure if that was him just trying to kill the question and give the lad some privacy though.

I’m 80% certain I seen him in one of the training photos.

Pretty sure it was a virus that caused it, hopefully that means he will be back if not towards the end of this season but for the start of next.

Ideally get a pre season in.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery, strikes me as another Gerrard punt just because he was English and his club were in the EPL similar to Simpson from the same club. Couldn't get near the bench for Bournemouth and could barely get a game for Wycombe, but he's signed anyway.

I believe he was in the Wycombe team initially but got injured.

Id agree that his signing seems like a low risk cheap punt.

Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery, strikes me as another Gerrard punt just because he was English and his club were in the EPL similar to Simpson from the same club. Couldn't get near the bench for Bournemouth and could barely get a game for Wycombe, but he's signed anyway.

Maybe he will end up being a player, but I'd be surprised.
A injury problem was found at his second Wycombe spell. They decided it was better for his career to sit it out and recover for his move.

Think we need to give the lad whatever time our medical team say is needed and then see where he gets to.

He is a punt so we need to wait and see.

The lad's health is all that truly matters and I hope he's now nearing full health.

That said, I didn't see a time where he dislodged any of our midfielders and I still don't. Just as I don't see Simpson doing so at Centre Half. Felt at the time like low risk signings with barely any experience between them and would take a hell of a lot of luck for them to ever be good enough. With Simpson, I think that's confirmed, still hope this lad proves me wrong.

Can see him being another Matt Crooks.

Doesn't play for an age due to injury (illness in Nmandi's case) then will get swallowed up when he eventually recovers. And back in the Championship or League One within a year.

It's possible we'll sell a midfielder so Namdi could be a useful squad member at least, if he gets fit. All the best to him.

The lad's health is all that truly matters and I hope he's now nearing full health.

That said, I didn't see a time where he dislodged any of our midfielders and I still don't. Just as I don't see Simpson doing so at Centre Half. Felt at the time like low risk signings with barely any experience between them and would take a hell of a lot of luck for them to ever be good enough. With Simpson, I think that's confirmed, still hope this lad proves me wrong.
This exactly.

The main thing is the lad is ok.

He was live on Twitch recently and was asked about it.

He explained in a way that he was ready to be selected, everything looked good but they wanted to monitor him over a long period as it was a serious issue.

I suspect he's doing some sort of training and we're monitoring his heart regularly.

Saw the name in the Winter Transfer Rumours thread, almost forgotten about him! Appreciate he's been held back because of a heart condition, so searched for an update on his current condition, but couldn't find anything meaningful. Anyone any idea what's going on with him?
You've answered your own question

The Bournemouth fans rated him higher.

My mate's a Wycombe fan and they all loved him in his first spell there. That was at League 1 level though. He never repeated it in the Championship but Wycombe were struggling then and clearly his health wasn't the best at that point either.

It does have a bit of the Matt Crooks type signings about it.

Hopefully he can come along and prove himself but I don't see him suddenly becoming another Joe Aribo if we're looking at other League 1 level players for comparison.

I hope he is better than Simpson

PaLC.gif

My mate's a Wycombe fan and they all loved him in his first spell there. That was at League 1 level though. He never repeated it in the Championship but Wycombe were struggling then and clearly his health wasn't the best at that point either.

It does have a bit of the Matt Crooks type signings about it.

Hopefully he can come along and prove himself but I don't see him suddenly becoming another Joe Aribo if we're looking at other League 1 level players for comparison.
Yeah he isn’t an Aribo style player and not been playing at the level JA had before joining . Very much an opportunity / project that the club are looking at here . Always interesting .

Doesn't play for an age due to injury (illness in Nmandi's case) then will get swallowed up when he eventually recovers. And back in the Championship or League One within a year.

You forgot to add "...where he will look like a star because the standard and demands are so much lower, and we'll have to hear about it every 3 months until he retires." B-D

Hopefully he makes a full recovery, but I’ll be surprised if he is ever anything other than a squad player for us.

I think the negativity on this forum that comes when anyone mentions this lad’s name is just ridiculous.

Firstly he didn’t play for Wycombe at the end of his loan spell because he was injured. He was good for them and started every game when fit.

Who knows, this guy could end up being a really good player in GVB’s team. We now seem to be playing with one deeper anchor in midfield and this lad might be cut out for that role.

He’s also versatile and can fill in at CB. Guys like Fuchs at Dundee Hibs and Baningime at Hearts have caught the eye playing that role. Let’s give our player a bit of time to get fit and hopefully get a chance in the cup to show us what he can do. I had high expectations of him before his cardiovascular issues over the summer.

the way Crooks career is going we should hold onto the lad if thats a comparison

Possibly just stating the obvious here - but shouldn't our medical team have picked up on the illness before giving him a contract?

There’s no negative posts on this thread other than one person saying he doesn’t think he’ll play for us, which might be correct
Well there’s a guy inaccurately claiming he couldn’t get a game for Wycombe which is not true since he had injury problems there and it is negative in general to just write the guy off. It may well be the case that he never plays for us. Personally I don’t think that sort of negativity does any good when discussing him. Boy may have thought his entire career could be at risk when the issue was first identified and I’m sure he’s desperate to get a chance to play.

Gutted for him.
I hope he will be safe at some point and get some minutes, a better player than Simpson I hope.

I'm sure I heard somewhere that it can take a year for players to get back playing after something like this is found.

Goldson was out from Feb until December2017 so not far off a year. We likely wont see him this season I imagine or at all, he might just move back down south in the summer for a nominal fee, unless Gio and his team see something special which would be good too.

Crooks is doing quite well in the Championship now, which I'm glad to see. We bought him in a package with Windass, who did make a contribution before we sold him. I don't know whether one in two is a good return for these sort of pints or not.

Back