No catholics before Mojo

gorbalsbear

Official Ticketer
This old myth being trotted out again, Clarke stated before souness Rangers didn't sign Catholics, then changed it to high profile Catholics, I didnt realise Catholics games in an order of importance, Keevins then said the same, does anyone have a list of the Catholics to have played for Rangers, I know there is one doing the rounds.

This old myth being trotted out again, Clarke stated before souness Rangers didn't sign Catholics, then changed it to high profile Catholics, I didnt realise Catholics games in an order of importance, Keevins then said the same, does anyone have a list of the Catholics to have played for Rangers, I know there is one doing the rounds.
You don’t need a list mate as they already know but choose to play games.

Look let’s be sensible about this. We signed RCs for years then things changed after the war. We became more of Unionist/Protestant club in our recruitment. For over 50 years we almost no RC players, no point in denying it.
We changed that policy with the signing of MJ and for over 30 years we have employed an inclusive signing policy. The real rub is that Keevins and his ilk still harp on about things over 30 years ago.
Interesting that Ateltico Bilbao still operate a racist recruitment policy and no one in Spain or Europe bats an eye.

Which club was founded on religious affiliation ?

Certainly wasn't ours so we didn't introduce any division in to Scottish football.

What say you Clarke & Keevins.

I think Clarke has been on the sauce too much with his mate who was charged with drink driving

Last edited:
Look let’s be sensible about this. We signed RCs for years then things changed after the war. We became more of Unionist/Protestant club in our recruitment. For over 50 years we almost no RC players, no point in denying it.
We changed that policy with the signing of MJ and for over 30 years we have employed an inclusive signing policy. The real rub is that Keevins and his ilk still harp on about things over 30 years ago.
Interesting that Ateltico Bilbao still operate a racist recruitment policy and no one in Spain or Europe bats an eye.
He's still lying though isn't he? John Spencer was playing at the time clarke was too and it was public knowledge spenny was an rc

Sick of listening to that.

Heard it 13 years ago by a bitter twisted wee man who was a fair weathered scum supporter.

When I mentioned John Spencer he didn't even acknowledge it and focused in how MOJO was the first real Catholic.

If you can't see through that. It's mental.

Can't deny it,50 years out of nearly 150 years probably not great but not as bad as some make out and the fact any really great catholic player has their heads and hearts set in actually playing for the team set up especially for them.

The club is known for its cantera policy of bringing young Basque players through the ranks, as well as recruiting players from other Basque clubs like Joseba Etxeberria and Javi Martínez. Athletic's official policy is signing professional players native to or trained in football in the greater Basque Country, which includes Biscay, Gipuzkoa, Álava and Navarre(in Spain); and Labourd, Soule and Lower Navarre (in France).[4] Since 1912, Athletic has played exclusively with players meeting its own criteria to be deemed as Basque, and has been one of the most successful teams in La Liga. This can be seen as a unique case in European football;[5] it has gained Athletic both admirers and critics. The club has been praised for promoting home grown players and club loyalty. The Basque rule does not apply to coaching staff however, with several examples of non-Basque managers both from Spain and abroad having coached the first team.

Sick of listening to that.

Heard it 13 years ago by a bitter twisted wee man who was a fair weathered scum supporter.

When I mentioned John Spencer he didn't even acknowledge it and focused in how MOJO was the first real Catholic.

If you can't see through that. It's mental.
Remember being told Spencer got bullied like hell for signing for us while in school

Will need to look out that information

Catholics who signed for Rangers before Johnston include, before the end of World War I:

Pat Lafferty(1886)
Tom Dunbar (1891–1892)
J Tutty (1899–1900)
Archie Kyle (1904–1908)
Willie Kivlichan (1906–1907)
Colin Mainds (1906–1907)
Tom Murray (1907–1908)
William Brown (1912)
Joe Donnachie (circa.1914–1918)
John Jackson (1917)
Thereafter, Catholic players prior to Mo Johnston's signing include:
Laurie Blyth (1951–1952)
Don Kitchenbrand (1955–1956)
Hugh O'Neill (1976)
John Spencer (1985–1992)

He's still lying though isn't he? John Spencer was playing at the time clarke was too and it was public knowledge spenny was an rc
John spencer was signed I remember the front page of the record with him signing and and the press all turned up at a match he was playing in for his rc school

Remember being told our Italian players weren't the right type of Catholic and we still had the same old problems?

Catholics who signed for Rangers before Johnston include, before the end of World War I: Pat Lafferty (1886), Tom Dunbar (1891–1892), J Tutty (1899–1900), Archie Kyle (1904–1908), Willie Kivlichan (1906–1907), Colin Mainds (1906–1907), Tom Murray (1907–1908), William Brown (1912), Joe Donnachie (circa.1914–1918) and John Jackson (1917). Thereafter, Catholic players prior to Mo Johnston's signing include: Laurie Blyth (1951–1952), Don Kitchenbrand (1955–1956), Hugh O'Neill (1976), John Spencer (1985–1992)

Remember being told Spencer got bullied like hell for signing for us while in school

Remember he played a match for his rc school on the Saturday the story broke and the vermin of the Scottish press turned up at the match he was playing in,putting further pressure on a schoolboy

https://fourladshadadream.blog/2019...arrival-of-maurice-johnstone-a-lie-dismissed/

Rangers never signed a Catholic before the arrival of Maurice Johnston? A lie dismissed
Steven Clifford Uncategorized January 18, 20192 Minutes
It has been open season on our football club for a long time and one of the many lies or accusations is that as a club we refused to sign players of a catholic faith. A lie often told is, that up until the signing of Maurice Johnston in 1989, Rangers never signed anyone of Catholic faith
What I will simply do here is answer that question with the facts, did Rangers sign a Catholic before Maurice Johnston’s arrival in 1989?
Those with agendas wish to kick us at every turn and this is one of the favourite lies told
It has long since annoyed me that this has never been formally challenged by the club but such is with these things, once a lie is told often enough it is passed along as fact. Perhaps the clubs view, of giving the lie credence by challenging it, has merit but we will quickly look at our history and dispel it easily
Rangers football club is a club founded by four young lads for the love of our game. Moses McNeil, his brother Peter, Peter Campbell and William McBeath first met in early 1872 to form the greatest club in the land and it was then our journey begun
From our very first game in Fleshers Haugh to becoming the worlds most decorated football club. The only thing these four lads wanted was to play football
So a quick look through our history shows in undeniable fact that our club has signed Catholics and that any myth or lies that our club is built on a ‘sectarian signing policy’ is exactly that, a lie and is very easily dismissed
Those players include –
Pat Lafferty 1886, Tom Dunbar 1891, Jay Tutty 1899, Archie Kyle 1904, Willie Kivlichan 1906, Colin Mainds 1906, Tom Murray 1907, William Brown 1912, Joe Donnachie 1914, John Jackson 1917.
These are players only known openly in history, as religion was not as openly discussed as it is now, as being of the Catholic faith. However even at a glance quite a few players who were openly practicing Catholic and easily dispels the myth peddled by those with an agenda
Moving on there is many more examples of players who starred for our club prior to the arrival of Maurice and these included –
Laurie Blyth 1951, Don Kitchenbrand 1955, Hugh O’Neil 1976, John Spencer 1985 (Just three years before Johnstone’s arrival!)
Of course since Johnston’s signing and the scrutiny of the media, introduction of social media the knowledge of players faiths is more open and discussed. In many ways the only issues and problems caused, seem to be by media and supporters of clubs outwith our own
Players openly practice their faith in a Rangers jersey and it has not an issue inside Ibrox, the only people making it that way have nothing to do with the club. The recent coverage players such as Jon Daly has received only go to prove that
The truth is always available and next time someone spouts rubbish about our club you can tell them how wrong they are
This isn’t an apology for our culture or an attempt to distort history, it simply answers the question
The history of our club is a beautiful and wonderful thing, four young lads founding one of the biggest clubs in the world for the love of football only
They had a dream and now we are living it
Thanks to our friends RangersHistory, @RangersFACTS on twitter, who helped to research this short article
⚪

Don't forget the fact they were programmed to go nowhere near us and if they did join up like Mojo, vilified so much, leaving the country to continue life after football was a wise decision.

Sectarianism is a disease that mob revel in and a disease too many in the media use as a tool of the trade to keep themselves relevant and in a job. The usual suspects, we all know who, are scumbags.

Just use that and the default is.

He's naw a real one.

It took years to understand that logic but here is my conclusion of a real RC:

From West of Scotland
Supports the scum
Loves a sing along with the Wolftones
Loves the IRA
Believes in the north becoming the free state
Has allegencies to the ETA, Hamas
Doesn't think bombs are wrong
Hates the crown but loves the half crown
Wears Ireland tops having never been there
Hates Scotland and UK

Now after years of trying to define a real RC that is my conclusion. Tell me I am wrong.

Two of the most popular players in the last thirty years Jorg Albertz and Nacho Novo were both RCs and not one Rangers fan bothered. I couldn’t care less what Alfredo Morelos is and I daresay I’m not alone but somehow we’re portrayed as raging bigots almost on a daily basis.

We don't need to deny anything. We signed catholics. It doesn't matter how many.

The other side of the coin is how many catholics wouldn't or even worse couldn't sign for us due to their beliefs or fears of retribution from their own?

Remember when John Daly went on radio Scotland and talked about getting hate mail and messages and they rubbed their hands in glee as they thought he would say it came for rangers supporters instead John stumped them by saying that he got nothing but support from the rangers supporters and the people most upset were Celtic supporting Irish rc’s.
That was another stick they used when we were signing rc’s that we wouldn’t sign an Irish rc and he wouldn’t be accepted by the support.as with most things in life they were wrong

It's only ever non-Rangers fans who have a problem with us signing RCs. No one in the media or unfortunately our club has the stones to go public and highlight this but it's 100% true.

I couldn’t care less what Alfredo morelos is

Thought never entered my mind til you posted that and it's left again right after.

I'm a loyalist/unionist and bitter with it but I couldn't give a friar tuck what morelos is either. He's a cracking striker rattling in goals for Rangers. He could come from mars for all the fcks I give.

The only people who seem to care aren't actually fans of the club he plays for.

Steve Clarke played alongside John Spencer at Chelsea.
Roman Catholic John Spencer previous club was Rangers.

These grief-merchants would claim that signing the pope and making him captain would be an insufficiently high-profile signing.

Does anyone in this day and age really care what religion a Rangers player is ?
All that matters is he is a decent player :D

Rcs did not want to sign sams as most Protestant parents and siblings sis not want sign for Them

Clarke is a big a bigot as I am !

They couldn't accept at the time that we had made a massive statement with the signing of wee Mo and there are many of them that had grown up seeing Rangers pish all over them for years.

Their hatred for us is deep and we must step up and play sensibly here.

They will implode.

They did not expect a rookie manager to be still in the hunt at this point in the league and us still being in the cup puts pressure on them for their treble treble. They can't handle it.

They are trying to sicken wee Alfie to make him leave hoping that it will affect us.

They can't accept that our rookie manager is tying them up in knots at press conferences and they don't know how to get under his skin.

Their abuse scandal will rock them to their core when it happens.

We need to be clever and direct with our statements going forward and put them under immense pressure.

All this "No high profile Catholics before MoJo," nonsense is fucking laughable from the imbeciles.

Do they really think we'd rather sign Diddy Catholic players over talented ones?

Fucking eejits.

Back