No catholics before Mojo

John spencer was signed I remember the front page of the record with him signing and and the press all turned up at a match he was playing in for his rc school
I remember this now you say it, what has got even more bizarre and that I stupidly never connected with was Clarke and Spencer played together at Chelsea.... Is that bizarre or what? did wee spenny tell him he wasnt high profile?

Nobody cares apart from them and they start their pish at a young age. Catholic schools need shut down absolute breading holes for bigotry and that’s just some of the teachers.

exactly no more club 1872 they have done their part board has to come out and fight the good fight

The story of the Catholics we had playing for us is well told on here, Rangers fans know the Mojo story is false. The fans saying it won't pick up any listeners. The club must be correcting these lies.

I wouldn't mind seeing a list of high profile Scottish Catholics who were traumatised because Rangers didn't sign them, I'm going to imagine that's an even shorter list than the ones we actually did sign, another nonsense argument used as a stick to beat us with as the reality doesn't suit the argument
Even after Johnston, John Collins had the opportunity to sign for us, he'd have been a fantastic player for us as well but due to family pressures he signed for Celtic, he left them with one Scottish cup medal and captained them to the Tennents 6's, I'm proud of our history and the players that represented us.

This old myth being trotted out again, Clarke stated before souness Rangers didn't sign Catholics, then changed it to high profile Catholics, I didnt realise Catholics games in an order of importance, Keevins then said the same, does anyone have a list of the Catholics to have played for Rangers, I know there is one doing the rounds.

Does it really matter...we know the truth and don't need to justify our signing policy to anyone...

This old myth being trotted out again, Clarke stated before souness Rangers didn't sign Catholics, then changed it to high profile Catholics, I didnt realise Catholics games in an order of importance, Keevins then said the same, does anyone have a list of the Catholics to have played for Rangers, I know there is one doing the rounds.
we had a catholic who played for us ,left to help start up cellic then came back
i think
edit: i think he may have played for them for a while after they had been created to help becae the didnt have enough players for a while

Can't deny it,50 years out of nearly 150 years probably not great but not as bad as some make out and the fact any really great catholic player has their heads and hearts set in actually playing for the team set up especially for them.
There were 3 Irish/Roman catholic clubs set up in the main Scottish industry centres at the time, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee. These clubs wanted to specifically represent the Irish kafflick community. Why would a club like Rangers or indeed any other ambitious club be interested in employng the 3rd or 4th best player from around 16% of the local community?

The Maurice Johnson signing and the significance of it cannot be underestimated because it absolutely destroyed a generation of that lot. It was the biggest slap in the face you could ever hope to give your rivals and it still stings them to this day. That's why they keep referencing it, not because of his religion, not because he was or wasn't the first RC to sign for us...you know what? They don't even care about that, what they can't accept is that we humiliated them and stole 'wan ae there aen" from right under their noses and then subsequently didn't give them a look in for the title for the next decade.

The references to MoJo's religion, or indeed anyone's religion when it comes to Rangers is simply them trying to paint us in a bad light but the truth is that it's not us who have the problem with anyone of any religion signing for us, it's, it's non Rangers fans and in particular, Celtic fans who do.

What has been brushed over (or swept under the carpet) was that there was never a non catholic member of the board either at Ce^*ic or Pacific Shelf. There never seems to be much, or anything made of this. But then as we know, its a one way street.

Look let’s be sensible about this. We signed RCs for years then things changed after the war. We became more of Unionist/Protestant club in our recruitment. For over 50 years we almost no RC players, no point in denying it.
We changed that policy with the signing of MJ and for over 30 years we have employed an inclusive signing policy. The real rub is that Keevins and his ilk still harp on about things over 30 years ago.
Interesting that Ateltico Bilbao still operate a racist recruitment policy and no one in Spain or Europe bats an eye.

Agree with this. I can't be doing with the revisionist shite on here suggesting we were signing catholics all the time. We did pretty much have a no catholic policy for years. Who care's, get over it. It's been different for the past 30 years, and the only folk it held back was ourselves.

Look let’s be sensible about this. We signed RCs for years then things changed after the war. We became more of Unionist/Protestant club in our recruitment. For over 50 years we almost no RC players, no point in denying it.
We changed that policy with the signing of MJ and for over 30 years we have employed an inclusive signing policy. The real rub is that Keevins and his ilk still harp on about things over 30 years ago.
Interesting that Ateltico Bilbao still operate a racist recruitment policy and no one in Spain or Europe bats an eye.
No RC's for over fifty years after the war?

John Spencer is a Catholic, a Catholic who was a Rangers player for a decade (82-92).

You my friend are talking shite.

Agree with this. I can't be doing with the revisionist shite on here suggesting we were signing catholics all the time. We did pretty much have a no catholic policy for years. Who care's, get over it. It's been different for the past 30 years, and the only folk it held back was ourselves.
The truth of it as well was the overwhelming majority of the support were very comfortable indeed with the policy of not signing rc’s.

The truth of it as well was the overwhelming majority of the support were very comfortable indeed with the policy of not signing rc’s.

I know. But we've got folk on here making excuses. Like we had a catholic player 130 years ago. We did not sign catholic players for years, and if we did it was extremely rare where we probably didn't know their religion or their religion wasn't commonly known to everyone else. Just accept it and move on.

But if we can't bring up Catholics we signed before the war they have equally no right to bring up events from 30 years ago.

Back