No crowds in stadia means less yellow and red cards issued this seaon ?

Good question. Without a shadow of a doubt our discipline has been really good this season but I'm not sure if that's due to a high level of confidence or something else.

Obviously we will never have any tangible evidence. However, I would say it's incredibly likely that the lack of crowds would have some (possibly significant) behaviour affects on both the refs AND the players.

In general, most games I'm seeing have more or less the same level of intensity as before but there will be the odd occasion where a rash challenge would have been made partly due to crowd goading or the intensity at a particular high point.

Similarly, refs MUST note the intensity or otherwise of the crowd when making some disciplinary decisions.

Obviously we will never have any tangible evidence. However, I would say it's incredibly likely that the lack of crowds would have some (possibly significant) behaviour affects on both the refs AND the players.

In general, most games I'm seeing have more or less the same level of intensity as before but there will be the odd occasion where a rash challenge would have been made partly due to crowd goading or the intensity at a particular high point.

Similarly, refs MUST note the intensity or otherwise of the crowd when making some disciplinary decisions.

I reckon there could be a clear disparity in yellow and red cards for all clubs in comparison to prior seasons with crowds in attendance. The stats geeks will be all over it. lol

Without any evidence I’d say we are getting a better deal this season. Without the baying mob of hatred at every away ground we visit, we are being refereed more fairly. It’ll be yet another source of Timmy discomfort and only a matter of time before it’s served up as an excuse for the gap.

Players seem to be on their feet a lot quicker after fouls have been given , playing to the galleries by rolling around on the deck is definitely not happening as much as it did before,

Apart from crowds influencing refs it could be that players are no longer inclined to put that extra 10% into challenges.

It is an interesting question OP has posed & I wonder if anyone will investigate

Back