No EPL cash to buy Old Firm Players?

HiHi Bear

Gers and celtc probably were expecting to sell their strikers in the summer but the situation has changed big time!
Can’t see smaller EPL clubs forking out big amounts when they are hurting (see Burnley)!

There is no money in football right now. No clubs, even the superclubs are in the position to spend on transfer fees. Wages are a big issue

An interesting summer ahead for sure.

From our perspective, those with contracts ending will go but I’m not sure I can see anyone come or go. We may need to deal with what we’ve got until there’s normality and some more money in the game again.

For teams who have a business model where player sales are needed to cover the wage bill (The Beggars) this will represent a problem.

The oil clubs (Man City, Chelsea and PSG etc.) are the only ones who will be able to spend. But with the oil price so low maybe even they will have to cut budgets.

The oil clubs (Man City, Chelsea and PSG etc.) are the only ones who will be able to spend. But with the oil price so low maybe even they will have to cut budgets.

Have you seen the price of oil? They won’t be spending anything.

That’s been my thought when reading transfer gossip pages. Will/can clubs spend big?

might bring some sanity back to football

The forecast is that EPL clubs will lose £50m-£100m each. Given that many of them spend that much in a single transfer window I’m sure they will cope.

The forecast is that EPL clubs will lose £50m-£100m each. Given that many of them spend that much in a single transfer window I’m sure they will cope.

How will the 421 players cope should there salaries only be a fraction.

Will be a huge shift I think and the bubble may burst on a few after this horrible situation.

I can’t understand why the EPL don’t borrow to offset the unforeseen losses and reduce the overall annual prize money by the cost of the loan over 5 or so years

Unless the big clubs are sweet and maybe happy to ditch the Burnley, Brighton & Bournemouths of their League.

How will the 421 players cope should there salaries only be a fraction.

Will be a huge shift I think and the bubble may burst on a few after this horrible situation.

The player side of things can be ‘managed’ - from a clubs perspective - and the players will have to suck it up. You don’t renew contracts for players who’s deal expires, you make others available for transfer at reduced fees, you trim your squad size, even by just 5 players, and recruit any new guys on the basis of those reduced fees on offer and at a lower salary. In the EPL you could easily knock an 8 figure sum off the salary budget, at many clubs, if necessary.

I can’t understand why the EPL don’t borrow to offset the unforeseen losses and reduce the overall annual prize money by the cost of the loan over 5 or so years

Unless the big clubs are sweet and maybe happy to ditch the Burnley, Brighton & Bournemouths of their League.

That’s actually quite a good idea.

I’d imagine (sadly) that The EPL will have its pick of the Serie A / la Liga players who’ll be desperate to get out of Italy and Spain.

God knows what’s going to happen over there, it is hell on earth just now.

This literally broke my heart:

The transfer window might not even open let alone slam shut. No jetting in for crunch talks or thrashing out a deal. Will be certainly strange.

The EPL clubs are putting some of their staff on furlough.

It will be an utter disgrace if they attempt, or are allowed, to buy big money players in August.
The FA should not allow this and the Government should not allow it.

Who would lend them the money?

Perfect time for the EPL to restructure their league and allow us and the manks to join english football , a sweetner for the likes of SKY ect , english teams are losing money hand over fist , give the TV companies what they want and they might just back down a bit over TV money

Perfect time for the EPL to restructure their league and allow us and the manks to join english football , a sweetner for the likes of SKY ect , english teams are losing money hand over fist , give the TV companies what they want and they might just back down a bit over TV money

Wonder what the entry fee (as mentioned in past) would possibly be in the current environment.

I can see transfer fees being reduced but also there may be limited movement until borders open up so maybe not many foreign players coming to these shores this year.

Should they open the window now so clubs struggling could sell a player to survive?

or alternatively if a club goes into furnlough(sp) should they be barred from signing anyone in the next window? Heard this question asked on talkSPORT but had to turn off radio before hearing answer

The thing is the mentally challengeds business model is built around big money transfers out. They were banking on edouard going for big money. That 60m wage bill is going to bite them hard now I'll tell you.

They will come out this alot worse than us.

Should they open the window now so clubs struggling could sell a player to survive?

or alternatively if a club goes into furnlough(sp) should they be barred from signing anyone in the next window? Heard this question asked on talkSPORT but had to turn off radio before hearing answer

Who's going to give a new player let's say a 2 year deal when we don't know if the first 6months of that deal will be spent not playing.

No clubs will buy anyone till we are playing again.

There is no money in football right now. No clubs, even the superclubs are in the position to spend on transfer fees. Wages are a big issue

An interesting summer ahead for sure.

From our perspective, those with contracts ending will go but I’m not sure I can see anyone come or go. We may need to deal with what we’ve got until there’s normality and some more money in the game again.

For teams who have a business model where player sales are needed to cover the wage bill (The Beggars) this will represent a problem.
Yeah the tramps will be bleeding badly with a 60 million a year wage bill.

Who's going to give a new player let's say a 2 year deal when we don't know if the first 6months of that deal will be spent not playing.

No clubs will buy anyone till we are playing again.
If it’s a player they fancy but can get cheaper if selling club is struggling

As much as that appeals is that at the expense of my club Leeds, Forest,Wednesday & Derby?

The thing is the mentally challengeds business model is built around big money transfers out. They were banking on edouard going for big money. That 60m wage bill is going to bite them hard now I'll tell you.

saved me typing that out totally agree mate this will hurt them big time

As much as that appeals is that at the expense of my club Leeds, Forest,Wednesday & Derby?
This may sound bad but if it ever happened i couldnt give a f**k about leeds,forest,Wednesday,derby ;) if it suits rangers and its at expense of other clubs in championship then tough shit

Certainly hope so ;)
However we can't be complacent as we will not be getting as much for Alfie if he goes!

No danger will Liverpool or Spurs get away with forking our when they’ve used government funding

All depends whether Uefa relax their FFP rules for a season or 2. If not then the clubs won't be able to make many big signings for a couple of seasons

This may sound bad but if it ever happened i couldnt give a f**k about leeds,forest,Wednesday,derby ;) if it suits rangers and its at expense of other clubs in championship then tough shit

I’d love Rangers in the EPL but they would have to earn the right, they can have leeds’s Place in the championship for next year.

Way to early to know what will happen to transfers. There may be lots of free’s if clubs go bust. And very few transfers if the EPL lose some of the Sky money. It’s all unknown right now.

If this crisis is a leveller - then RFC could be in a good relative position.

Our revenue streams from fans will recover - perhaps there will be some bargains when some of the tv dependant EPL /Championship clubs go pop ?

Have u seen the price of oil? It’s prices from 5 decades ago
It is. Yet petrol is still over £1 a litre, the oil companies still make huge markups, they just don’t sell as much.
That said, every club will be tightening their belt. Wouldn’t surprise me if the transfer window was pushed back, can’t see how it can possibly open until things get back to normal.

Back