No fans could be the best thing to ever happen to us

Warburton said it. Many players have alluded to it as well. It's quite clearly a tactic other managers have used against us: Take the sting out the game, time waste, frustrate the support and get them on their own players' backs. That's why you have opposition keepers taking their time after, like, 7 minutes. McInnes and Clarke executed it perfectly on more than one occasion.

Ibrox on the big occasion is right up there in terms of atmosphere. For your run of the mill SPFL game, it's easily one of the worst.

Heard about the away teams tactic plenty of times, just not Rangers managers saying they have specific training sessions for a negative home crowd.

I heard someone on Radio 5 yesterday say that there has been a trend of more unexpected away wins in behind closed doors games.

Not sure of the stat’s or how you would back that up as it’s difficult to absolutely define ‘unexpected’ but it does chime with your point OP.

Warburton said it. Many players have alluded to it as well. It's quite clearly a tactic other managers have used against us: Take the sting out the game, time waste, frustrate the support and get them on their own players' backs. That's why you have opposition keepers taking their time after, like, 7 minutes. McInnes and Clarke executed it perfectly on more than one occasion.

Ibrox on the big occasion is right up there in terms of atmosphere. For your run of the mill SPFL game, it's easily one of the worst.

We can be the best and worst supporters in the world!

50k fans at Ibrox willing the team on to score is an advantage , not an empty stadium.

Not always. A nervous Ibrox after 20 minutes of not scoring artificially ramps up the pressure of the players massively, which can effect the players negatively.

Our team is comfortably able to beat every team in our league. One of the main reasons they don't is when they are not comfortable. I agree they should be able to cope with the pressure of Ibrox, but it is a disadvantage that no other team has on them.

Take the mhedia coverage for example. Even if we take their '10 in a row' narrative they are so keen to push. This year should be all about Celtic. The pressure on them to hold it together. Not to slip up as they put the final pair of cards on their massive house of cards that could fall at any second. Tp ruin 9 years work in the making and a pipe dream their fans have been singing about for most of the last decade.

But no. Its all about how Rangers must stop it. How rangers will feel a pressure like never before. How Gerrard will go if he doesn't stop it. Etc etc etc.

'10 in a row' has nothing to do with us. We were out the league for half of it for a start, and paying next to no attention to the SPL in our absence. Yet some of our more fragile fans buy into this narrative inexplicably, despite how clearly tainted the whole thing is. Unless the mhedia pretends that every (even any!) other club has a chance to win the league and should be pressing to stop 10iar (not just us) , then they can hardly glorify the 'achievment' when they are basically admitting that for 4 years when we wernt in the league they simply had to turn up.

I say this as I feel it can be the only place the negativity from some of us originates. Otherwise, why would we not be happy with a hard fought win at Pittodrie. And if we can't celebrate a win like that here, can we really be trusted at Ibrox yet?

The fans will return. But I feel the players will get a short term confidence boost in our absence.

50k fans at Ibrox willing the team on to score is an advantage , not an empty stadium.
It may well be but, on the evidence so far, we seem, as a team, to be able to play in empty stadiai. Having watched the EPL matches recently it’s been apparent that some teams are better at adapting to this than others.

Not always. A nervous Ibrox after 20 minutes of not scoring artificially ramps up the pressure of the players massively, which can effect the players negatively.

Our team is comfortably able to beat every team in our league. One of the main reasons they don't is when they are not comfortable. I agree they should be able to cope with the pressure of Ibrox, but it is a disadvantage that no other team has on them.

Take the mhedia coverage for example. Even if we take their '10 in a row' narrative they are so keen to push. This year should be all about Celtic. The pressure on them to hold it together. Not to slip up as they put the final pair of cards on their massive house of cards that could fall at any second. Tp ruin 9 years work in the making and a pipe dream their fans have been singing about for most of the last decade.

But no. Its all about how Rangers must stop it. How Rangers will feel a pressure like never before. How Gerrard will go if he doesn't stop it. Etc etc etc.

'10 in a row' has nothing to do with us. We were out the league for half of it for a start, and paying next to no attention to the SPL in our absence. Yet some of our more fragile fans buy into this narrative inexplicably, despite how clearly tainted the whole thing is. Unless the mhedia pretends that every (even any!) other club has a chance to win the league and should be pressing to stop 10iar (not just us) , then they can hardly glorify the 'achievment' when they are basically admitting that for 4 years when we wernt in the league they simply had to turn up.

I say this as I feel it can be the only place the negativity from some of us originates. Otherwise, why would we not be happy with a hard fought win at Pittodrie. And if we can't celebrate a win like that here, can we really be trusted at Ibrox yet?

The fans will return. But I feel the players will get a short term confidence boost in our absence.
I think the point you make in your fifth paragraph is very relevan.

These premiership clubs, all of them feed off the hatred their fans have for us. We are seen are the conduit for unionism in Scotland and are hated for it by away fans across the country. Up until the considine Red Card, I saw nowhere near the passion from their players that we normally do and that will definitely help us moving forward, I even believe it will help us at home with the home crowd not getting frustrated.

It will work against us in Europe however.

The bile thrown at our players from opposition stands (& occasionally our own) is a significant factor. They are only human beings. Not to mention assaults and objects being thrown at them.

Have to disagree OP.

I find that there are a host of people on here who have a really skewed, negative and paranoid view on football up here in general whilst also complaining about sanitisation and modernisation of football.

They want no away fans at Ibrox, meanwhile want majority Rangers fans at most away grounds and complain (rightly) of cut allocations.

The abuse given to players can be OTT and fans bring issues sure but they bring the atmosphere to the matches which is a massive part of football. I've so many great memories being part of it, and hate not being able to attend.

If it is a benefit for Rangers to play with no fans what does that tell you :oops:

Have you ever been to Ibrox?
Yes every home game for many years and I support the team without verbal abusing the players. I’ve watched countless games where our support had given us an advantage. My point is willing / supporting the team on. I didn’t say just 50k of fans in the stadium. I hope the verbal abusers of our players have learned something over lockdown and actually stay away.

Thinking about today's great win at Aberdeen & can't help but think back to 12 months ago.

The 2-1 win at Rugby Park and the absolute shambles of an artificial, media driven fallout that followed.

The media will do anything to deflect, deny and sour any type of positive result we get. With no fans being at the game it just didn't give them the opportunity to do so.

I also noticed a notable change in the style of game today. There was no pressure on Madden to book Rangers players, there was no extra noise around Morelos, it just felt like 2 football teams up against each other & the better team winning.

The frenzy that these clubs work themselves up into whenever Rangers come to town just wasn't there today, and honestly it seemed to help simplify things for us.

Show up, play better football than them and take the 3 points. There's no extra nonsense and circus around the occasion and long may it continue. I think as long as it stays the same as it was today the players will be able to focus on just winning games, and secretly it could be a blessing in disguise for us.

I agree, the extra lift the home teams get from their fans due to their hatred for us is no longer there with games BCD.

It’ll be interesting to see how it pans out at Ibrox. I’m hoping that teams will come out more against us seeing as there is no home fans to frustrate by sitting back in the hope that our fans turn on the team.

The lack of a pantomime feel to everything Morelos does is definitely true. He committed 3 or 4 Fouls today. On another day with fans he might get booked.
100% spot on. Most of morelos bookings or reds are down to crowd pressure esp away from home

I had a similar thought myself at one point. Although it will work both ways sadly when we have no fans at Ibrox. I definitely believe Morelos would have seen at least one card yesterday had all the rabid sheep been in the pen screaming for action every time he had a tackle. We just need to stay professional in every game and show our quality and we should see off all put in front of us.

Thinking about today's great win at Aberdeen & can't help but think back to 12 months ago.

The 2-1 win at Rugby Park and the absolute shambles of an artificial, media driven fallout that followed.

The media will do anything to deflect, deny and sour any type of positive result we get. With no fans being at the game it just didn't give them the opportunity to do so.

I also noticed a notable change in the style of game today. There was no pressure on Madden to book Rangers players, there was no extra noise around Morelos, it just felt like 2 football teams up against each other & the better team winning.

The frenzy that these clubs work themselves up into whenever Rangers come to town just wasn't there today, and honestly it seemed to help simplify things for us.

Show up, play better football than them and take the 3 points. There's no extra nonsense and circus around the occasion and long may it continue. I think as long as it stays the same as it was today the players will be able to focus on just winning games, and secretly it could be a blessing in disguise for us.

Which is exactly why the mentally challengeds are so desperate for their screaming hoards to be allowed back in to the pedodome.

Gives the more nervy players time to bed in a bit more easily I suppose, down side is, the might actually freeze first time back in front of 50k crowds.

You're correct mate up until about half an hour, or even earlier if we haven't scored, then the moaners start to get on the players backs.
Hopefully our moaners have learned something over lockdown and stay away but I doubt it. however when we have 50k of fans backing the team or as I said willing the team to score then it’s a clear advantage. E.g recently Braga. I agree the moaners spoil that often.

I think the OP has a fair point. Unfortunately it also highlights the fact that we have players that aren’t winners. They bottled it on so many occasions so the no fans situation may suit their playing style but that’s another story.

Should have been a piss easy decision to give a foul, penalty, at the end of the game, ref ignored it as that is what Madden does.

Take the point about the way the game was played and no crowd helping our players, Ibrox can also be tough place to play when off form or low on confidence.....but it would be mental to believe it will put an end to cheating offcials no idea where people get that from.

Could be a combination of the added workload of having to compete in the Europa League midweek and Gerrard's reluctance to rest his favourites. They maybe just ran out of steam.

That's true, they did run out of steam and for me, that simply came down to not having a strong enough squad. From july just about every game we played the strongest possible team had to start. We basically played a full season in 5 months.

What has to be remembered at the games, the players arent going out of their way to ruin your day. They have bad days like everyone else. Away teams know this fine well and know if we're not in front after about 15 mins, the crowd starts turning and they've done their job.

We all want to be back, and there is no doubt football isn't anywhere near as good without the fans. The sooner we are back the better, i can't wait.

The advantage yesterday was the ref wasn't put under pressure to book Alfie wvery time he touched the ball, and the last 10 or 15 minutes they would have had their inbred support roaring them on and that extra bit of adrenaline can kick in to push them on.

I do think it worked slightly to our advantage yesterday, but would obviously prefer we were all allowed back in.

If and when the fans return to Ibrox and bearing in mind what’s at stake this season then I would fully expect them to crank up the noise and also if players make a mistake, which let’s face it all players and teams do, instead of complaining get right behind the player and the team. Players and fans together will give us every chance of winning the league this year. Cmon the Gers.

I take it anybody who believes that having no fans in helps us won't ever go to another Rangers game, as that would be a disadvantage to us?

It may suit any players that are bottlers and can't handle a playing in front of a hostile crowd but id expect more from a Rangers player.

There is an old saying, football is nothing without fans. Certainly there was a calmer approach to the game yesterday but the game needs a return to having crowds back or the interest will be diluted somewhat. Personally I find that games in empty grounds are like friendly or training games.

I mentioned this last week, and I agree with you.
Some players love a crowd of both sides to stimulate them.
Others … just don’t.I don’t think it’s any secret that we have some in our ranks who can’t handle the pressure, and expectation, of playing in front of 50,000.And that’s our own fans!
The last two seasons have unfortunately proven this.
Sorry, but I would gladly see the status quo continue if it meant us playing and winning consistently.
If professional footballers can't be inspired or motivated to play in front of 50000 then tbh they shouldn't be in the game.

Yes, but there's a very clear difference between playing in front of 50k fans who are cheering you on and inspiring you to playing in front of 50k fans, many of whom will turn on you after 15 minutes when it's still 0-0.
I get that but pro players at a club size of Rangers should understand the expectation of the support. Getting stick in such circumstances is beyond the pale but players should rise above it all, although players are not all like for like.

I get that but pro players at a club size of Rangers should understand the expectation of the support. Getting stick in such circumstances is beyond the pale but players should rise above it all, although players are not all like for like.

I think we are quite unique in the sense that our home fans can be very unforgiving when the games are tough against the SPL minnows. It comes with the expectation and pressures of supporting a club of our size but it also causes a really toxic atmosphere at times.

Let’s take yesterday as a possible scenario: 1-0 up at Pittodrie and their Sheep fans bleating at the ref for everything. And to go by the match thread, some Bears with brown stuff running down their legs. Sometimes in some certain situations our crowd can transmit anxiety to our players as much as they can inspire them. I don’t think that can be argued.

Would it be an advantage to continue BCD, well.... there are situations equally that a crowd drives the team onwards and upwards too - so it evens itself out. We all know the results that the crowd have directly helped towards, far too many to mention as well.

I suppose in summary, some of our fans are very quick to jump on players mistakes and take their anxiety out vocally. We all know the curmudgeon who sits near them...... that’s not saying everyone needs to be a happy clapper either. Perspective.

It definitely helps us with no crowd at the games, people moaning at every misplaced pass particularly at Ibrox , and then the frothing hordes at away grounds screaming for a booking every time there is a foul, Morelos can’t go near any opposition player away from home as he gets booked for the most pedantic minor offence.

I said the same to my mates in the pub yesterday, the first 15 minutes when we were just playing it along the back and middle without doing anything because Aberdeen didn’t want anything to do with getting out their half or wanting the ball.

Sadly if that’s at Ibrox the crowd demand the players to try something and lose patience.

Away from home it might help without the influence of fans on decisions the referee makes.

But its part and parcel of being a football the passion from the fans, it would’ve been a struggle for a ticket yesterday but even to see and hear our travelling away support acknowledging the win would’ve been amazing for everyone.

I think we are quite unique in the sense that our home fans can be very unforgiving when the games are tough against the SPL minnows. It comes with the expectation and pressures of supporting a club of our size but it also causes a really toxic atmosphere at times.
It can be toxic at times but even though we may be playing a bottom table team the support should know that it isn't always easy to break teams down early on but in saying that our players should have it within them to cope with the negativity from the support

It probably negates home advantage a bit. You can already see that refs won't be swayed in the same way that are by home fans baying for blood every time a Rangers player so much as looks at the ball. When was the last time we came away from Pittodrie without a booking?

I hear what the OP and others are saying about certain aspects of the circus when we come to town but these are totally false circumstances we are in just now and if we somehow benefit from them fair enough but it is the inability of our team to kill teams off most of the time that makes these away fixtures close. Facing hostile atmospheres and leaving with the spoils is what Rangers are all about over the years and while the Ibrox crowd can be tough at times it is in the team's power to improve that by facing the challenge head on. I want crowds back in grounds as soon as possible and for them to dread us coming to town because we whip their arses. If folk are seriously thinking it's good to keep playing BCD longer term to make it easier for us then the game's a bogey.

Totally agree with the OP. It makes every single a game a totally level playing field, and for me that can only benefit the team.

People are missing the point saying the players should be able to play under fan pressure. If no fans benefits the team, I can’t see why anyone would be bothered by that.

The defeat to Hamilton at Ibrox last year was a good example of how the crowd can work against you.

We had been on a poor run and the crowd really turned on the team that night, which was in some respects understandable.

I think there are a few characters in our team who struggle in that type of environment, whereby if they make a mistake and the crowd is on their back the heads go down. I actually think Tav is one of the biggest examples of this.

The main factor that will be as damning as it sounds is that the players will play better without the fans at home particularly because it is a poisonous, negative place to play 8/10 games.
Moans and groans is all that can be heard at Ibrox minus the UB (thank f*ck for them or it would be a morgue).
It just gets worse each season, particularly around me in CF4.

Couldn't agree more mate .

Back