No fans in this season all but confirmed - Thursday and Europa now crucial

We're Rangers Football Club and we're approaching a decade without a trophy.

I'm usually on your side of the argument regarding this but given there will be no games to attend, no away games and our squad is stretched already I think I would take the hit this year.

Just this year mind.

Not qualifying doesn't guarantee a better league campaign though. In the same way qualifying doesn't mean we'll definitely be weaker in the league.

That's something which is basically impossible to measure, so it has to be considered a flawed argument in that case.

As an additional income stream into the club.

Make no mistake no fans through gates will have huge implications for every club, ours included.

It’s vital we qualify for the Europa League groups now or I think we may see sales to balance things out. That may happen anyway tbh.

absolutely agree. Survival first then we look at league positions.

Our squad deferred their wages during the lockdown. Not sure why they should take a cut though, not like it's their fault lockdown happened!

Yes, we may not have made it, but that's always a loss for us under any circumstances. We haven't even came close to breaking even overall even with European money. Our squad wage bill keeps getting higher. It should be seen as key if we don't want to end up weaker than we are.

I'm willing to bet we'll be worse off without that gate money. I'll be happy if I'm wrong.
The gate money you mention should A. never be factored into budgeting as its not guaranteed and B. was always going to be impossible this year with the format of the tournament so the club will have known this since the outset of the season.

As for the deferral, its hardly some great sacrifice IMO, a gesture yes, but ultimately they all got their money, just a bit later

It’s a no from me all focus most be on domestic competitions.

Europa is just an added distraction and excuse for the head in the sand brigade.

I don't recall this when I was younger. It's a modern phenomenon where supporters want to lose in order to concentrate on a particular trophy. There was a time when we wanted to win every game.

Last season, our League form was fine running in conjunction with European participation.

The Europa is important financially to the Club and also to our standing - it attracts players. I'm not sure why some are so keen to dismiss it.

Should we just give up on the League and Scottish Cups as well?

There were many posters recently saying they don't care about Thursday or the EL this season - madness.

We need every penny of revenue we can. Thursday is huge - and always has been.

Not qualifying doesn't guarantee a better league campaign though. In the same way qualifying doesn't mean we'll definitely be weaker in the league.

That's something which is basically impossible to measure, so it has to be considered a flawed argument in that case.
Well that's fairly obvious.

It's a preference based on the hope that more time and emphasis on preparing for domestic games will help us get over the line.

I think you maybe right and if we lose Thursday or in the play off then I can see 2 out the door with maybe 2 loans to replace. 1st and foremost the club needs to be financially stable over anything else at the present time. The board have really backed the plying side for a few years now with next to no money coming in for sales that needs to change whether we like it or not.
I guess few have the foggiest what the ramifications are going to be if this happens or that doesn’t.
Absolutely no point in getting or knickers in a twist about anything just now, either way.
I just don’t see a single argument that can’t be rebuked.

Well that's fairly obvious.

It's a preference based on the hope that more time and emphasis on preparing for domestic games will help us get over the line.

And if it doesn't, what is the next suggestion?

It's an amalgam of issues, though some want to believe it is just the one thing and when that changes, all will be solved.

It's an amalgam of issues, though some want to believe it is just the one thing and when that changes, all will be solved.
People are being intentionally obtuse here.

It's a simple hope that with less games and travel it might be beneficial to the players and improve domestic performance.

It's hardly absolute lunacy is it?

I hope we qualify but if we don't I will console myself with the opportunity to have more time in the training pitch for what is a big domestic season.

From a purely fan experience perspective we're not missing out on the games or the trips away either.

The amount of people still saying they don't care about European football this year is bewildering.

Football and Rangers need to worry about going forward whether it be fucking 10 or 11 IAR. We can't just write off a major revenue stream. So short sighted.

Exactly. Say we win the league, what will we do to plan for the next season when we look at the finances and we have millions missing from Europe?

We lose about £1.5m per Euro home game without fans.
It’s not nearly as catastrophic to fail this season.
In fact, I won’t be too downbeat should it happen.

The league is huge.

People are being intentionally obtuse here.

It's a simple hope that with less games and travel it might be beneficial to the players and improve domestic performance.

It's hardly absolute lunacy is it?

I hope we qualify but if we don't I will console myself with the opportunity to have more time in the training pitch for what is a big domestic season.

From a purely fan experience perspective we're not missing out on the games or the trips away either.

'Train in Glasgow, not Dubai and that will stop the mid-season rot'. 'Drop out of the Europa and that means improved domestic performances.'

It's not lunacy but it's not a given.

For me it's about the quality of personnel and improving our game - and that comes from participating at the highest level. Our players will learn more from games.

As an aside, I fear a few will get their wish on Thursday.

'Train in Glasgow, not Dubai and that will stop the mid-season rot'. 'Drop out of the Europa and that means improved domestic performances.'

It's not lunacy but it's not a given.

For me it's about the quality of personnel and improving our game - and that comes from participating at the highest level. Our players will learn more from games.

As an aside, I fear a few will get their wish on Thursday.
It's certainly not my wish.

The amount of people still saying they don't care about European football this year is bewildering.

Football and Rangers need to worry about going forward whether it be fucking 10 or 11 IAR. We can't just write off a major revenue stream. So short sighted.
For me it’s small club mentality.we view ourselves as a big club and outwith our own country nobody cares who wins our league.you get noticed as a big club in other countries by what you do in Europe

I'm waiting on Doncaster declaring Celtic League Champions next week
After this latest announcement there will already be talks going on between the SPFL and mentally challengeds how they can manipulate when to call the the league.If ...they get their noses in front.Especially around Christmas time or the turn of the year.
That is why every game is crucial.Every point is crucial.

As an additional income stream into the club.

Make no mistake no fans through gates will have huge implications for every club, ours included.

It’s vital we qualify for the Europa League groups now or I think we may see sales to balance things out. That may happen anyway tbh.
Don’t care about Europe , it’s a bonus , I want the league

I forecasted at the beginning of this that lots of football clubs would go to the wall and nothing has changed my mind.
We will survive but if it goes into next season then things may look very different for us.
The upside is the chance of getting out of Scotland will be increased significantly as lots of English clubs will also go under and itvmay well be that opportunities present themselves.
That's why I think, that if we do sell morelos and it's a big if, then I doubt we'll see the club spend that money on new players.

We dont know when this is all going to end and we wont be in difficulty like other clubs, but we cant be reckless with our finances.

After Sunday's result I think it's worth taking the hit to focus on the league. Nothing else comes close to being as important this season.

We had one day to prepare for that game, a light training session on Saturday.

If we get beat on Thursday either one or two of Kent, Morelos or Barisic will be away before the window shuts that’s the harsh reality of losing £10-15 million plus in income.

We ran at a loss last season getting to the last 16 how big will that be with no Europa income and no fans potentially this season?

Soft loans can’t go on forever which means the squad being weakened and no chance of winning the league even with fewer games than the nonce.

I've seen folk argue that the costs of running a match day vs losses occured due to no fans might well be minimal, this season anyway.
The home europa group games are lucrative to Rangers.

400 grand is the cost of a home game. Domestically its probably small profit but for Europe its decent cash.

The home europa group games are lucrative to Rangers.

400 grand is the cost of a home game. Domestically its probably small profit but for Europe its decent cash.

Aye, sorry I meant the argument about games costing less than the money list was about league games only. I don't even know if that's true.

I also don’t believe it’s ‘crucial’ in any way. That suggests we’re in trouble if we don’t make it, and that’s certainly not the case.

Unlike previous years, we have a kit deal where we actually make money, MyGers money, STs already sold out - I can’t see it being a massive problem.

I stand the opinion that unless we improve the squad with 3-5 first team quality players (probably on the back of Morelos going), then we don’t have the squad to cope with European football and also be successful at home as the last two seasons have shown.

I’ve said it before I genuinely believe European football is pointless this year

It should have been postponed for a year

Domestic football could follow a similar path to the shambles we had last year.

I’ve said it before I genuinely believe European football is pointless this year

It should have been postponed for a year

Domestic football could follow a similar path to the shambles we had last year.

As much as I have enjoyed the Europa games it does seem crazy teams crossing all over Europe in and out of different countries when the public will be lucky to get to a shop.

I genuinely don't think it will have any affect on us and them

Season ticket money all in

What are we missing out on additionally from match days? Hospitality and catering?

But no

Police costs
Staff costs
Maintenance costs

Us and them are the 2 lucky ones here imo

What are we missing out on additionally from match days? Hospitality and catering?

But no

Police costs
Staff costs
Maintenance costs

Connections of that lot are in the media every single day bleating about no fans getting in their stadium so there’s clearly an effect on them with the current situation

The power crazy freak in downing street is talking about bringing in the army to assist the cops. The games a bogey.
You mean Boris. The abuse the government takes in these unprecedented times is very unfair. The opposition/other parties who’ve no experience of this type of situation should be working along side the Conservative & Unionist party to get us through all this. The petty squabbling and lies sicken me.

The world is a shite place at the moment but I’ve my health & family around me, i would dearly love to be on a flight up for a game but I’ve resided myself to the fact it’s probably not happening this season, what i will find really sad is that if this is the season for 55 there won’t be a packed Ibrox to help celebrate it, but by f@ck I’ll have a shin dig in the house, where ever we are, follow we will.

The Rangers fans not bothering about getting beat on Thursday will be the same Rangers fans calling the team and manager bottlers on Thursday night.
We need to be in the Europa if we want to be back were we belong.

What, collapsing mid-season due to fatigue again?

Will it? Thats a genuine question by the way. Obviously our money will be down in terms of catering etc but we still have the ST money and won't have to pay the costs of opening Ibrox for match days.

Plus we also have the money from MyGers and merchandise which we didn't have last season.

If we qualify for the Europa League group stages then we won't win the league. We don't have the squad to play Thursday - Sunday.
Ok so let's say we dont get into Ibrox this season. will fans be prepared to pay again in june for a season ticket for next season. after paying for this and never seen a ball kicked.money from Europe could be more important this season than ever before

I can’t see that being the case with hospitality sales etc for these games factored in? If it is maybe the impact isn’t as bad as it seems on face value but I can’t see it tbh.
The cost of 2 tickets to hospitality can equate to somebodys season for a full season.
There s only so much you can eat and drink.
The profit will be massive with regards to hospitality.

The Rangers fans not bothering about getting beat on Thursday will be the same Rangers fans calling the team and manager bottlers on Thursday night.
We need to be in the Europa if we want to be back were we belong.
no we need to win the league if we want to be back where we belong europe has always been a bonus

But no

Police costs
Staff costs
Maintenance costs

It's an extra 7 European games at Ibrox, sold out, plus more if we make the knockout stages. Also gonna be missing our share of 5, 6, 7 cup games, plus gate income from cup semi and finals if were to make them. It's a massive hit for a club where matchday income is our biggest revenue stream and we were already making ten million pound of a loss before.

What, collapsing mid-season due to fatigue again?
I want Rangers to win on Thursday then beat Gala,i want to be in the Europa League.
There is no guarantee we'll win the league because we're not there,we still have to get by the diabolical refereeing.

I think we will be down massively, we might still have all the season ticket money but we had 9 additional home games in Europe mostly sold out, plus the 2 domestic cups potentially getting home draws.

I wonder what the cost is for the club to do away games in Europe due to covid19 I would expect it to be high .

We need to take one game at a time but hopefully the step up in Quality in each round in Europa should be good preparation for the group stages if all goes to plan.

“Group stage participation earns teams a base fee of €2,920,000 (£2.5m/$3.5m), while each win in the group pays €570,000 (£515k/$680k) and a draw €190,000 (£170k/$230k.”

In a nutshell we need to offset the lack of Europa league ticket sales by winning as many games as possible as you get £345k more.

After Sunday's result I think it's worth taking the hit to focus on the league. Nothing else comes close to being as important this season.

We had one day to prepare for that game, a light training session on Saturday.

Had Motherwell not had a game in Israel I would have agreed. However I would Now argue that with both Of us playing we will win this one . Players love Europe . it breaks up the boredom of playing each other 4 times a season . Our prestige and reputation is enhanced by European football. We have time to add a player or two before the break and our squad will be good enough to win the title.

Back