No football chat in the office?!

I read this on BBC News yesterday. Some of the comments were good, such as "ban talk about Love Island".

The point of the article was that women do not feel included in these conversations, and that needs to change because they're feeling alienated.

Which completely contradicts the adverts that are being broadcast just now, encouraging women to talk about periods and not making it a 'taboo' subject. I don't know how men can feel included in those conversations!?

WN3Zbv5.gif

All we talk about in the office is football and it's a mix of both men and women. Everyone joins in but I suppose that's because football is the one thing in common we all have.

Umm do women not like football as well
Of course we do. In my last job there were two men and four women in the office. One of the guys hated all sport. Two of us women and the other guy talked football all the time. The other women talked about soaps and reality TV, so I was 'excluded' from those conversations as I watch neither.

Biggest argument about football in a workplace I ever seen was two women. The day after the OF when McCoist and Lennon had the square go. I was shocked how vicious it got. Guys on the most part would have agreed to disagree long before these two did

There is already a thread on this in the lounge mate, if there was a search function you'd have been able to check.

Reactions: VGM
I get some great football chat from some female Rangers fans in work. Their opinions tend to be more level headed than that of the males!

Most of my office are bears but there is 1 tim (he's actually a really good guy apart from the obvious) and he gets me right riled up with the celtic chat

Its coming to the point where the only people not allowed an opinion in this country are - and I am keen to not cause offence, this is just my opinion - white, working class, heterosexual males.

If you are in a "minority" group - then you can shout what you like, as loud as you like to.
If you dare have the cojones to deliberate, debate or disagree then you are infringing on their rights.

What about our rights ?

Sad day that I have so many opinions in common with Pierce Morgan !!!!

Of course we do. In my last job there were two men and four women in the office. One of the guys hated all sport. Two of us women and the other guy talked football all the time. The other women talked about soaps and reality TV, so I was 'excluded' from those conversations as I watch neither.
It's just one if these prehistoric ideas men like football and women don't plus they don't understand it. The world gets madder every day if it's majority of women in a workplace as you have said about soaps does this stop because of the men there

Absolute guff that flies in the face of everything we are having shoved down our throat about inclusion and diversity.

The folk who are at the forefront of overselling these kinds of topics and narratives nowadays are going to tie themselves in knots and continually provide contradictions like these if it keeps up.

I work with a guy who's got 5 kids who he talks about all the time. Should that be banned because I feel excluded? What a load of absolute PC crap.

I read this on BBC News yesterday. Some of the comments were good, such as "ban talk about Love Island".

The point of the article was that women do not feel included in these conversations, and that needs to change because they're feeling alienated.

Which completely contradicts the adverts that are being broadcast just now, encouraging women to talk about periods and not making it a 'taboo' subject. I don't know how men can feel included in those conversations!?
Its genuinely embarrassing to be part of this generation at times. How these people work their way into a position that provides them a voice is beyond me

It's just one if these prehistoric ideas men like football and women don't plus they don't understand it. The world gets madder every day if it's majority of women in a workplace as you have said about soaps does this stop because of the men there
A man with those attitudes wouldn't last in a senior position, yet no one's calling for her sacking

"It's very easy for it to escalate from VAR talk and chat to slapping each other on the back and talking about their conquests at the weekend."

A good metaphor for the journey to the lounge on here

The world is going mad. Imagine someone succeeded in getting football chat stopped in the workplace as it it's inclusive enough.

Is it not sexist to assume that woman don't like football? I work with a girl who talks about the football with all the boys at lunch time. Typical hunk nonsense.

When the womans World Cup was on , we were being told in every media outlet how fantastic it was to see the women's game being promoted and they were pushing the narrative about how inclusive it is and that it's not just a men's game but now........

Haven’t read the article but surely that statement itself is inherently sexist. It presupposes that women have no interest in football and cannot contribute to any conversation on the subject.

Female bosses are murder :rolleyes:
I agree. No way should the head of this organisation be female and try and belittle ",laddish culture" as this is an important part of male bonding and lets us express our feelings in a safe environment.!!!!
However, they should ban talk of children ( so as not to isolate or undermine us single guys), also ban talk of diets, weight watchers, slimming clubs, clothes shopping,period pain, childbirth and c####c as no normal male is interested or can participate in.
Alternatively tell her to fukc off and mind her own business.

Anne Franke. Who names their kid that?

Heard her on LBC yesterday and she's a real dunderhead. Nick Ferrari tore her a new one.

I’ve seen another few mention it now but her view itself is sexist on two fronts, one intentionally and the other unintentionally it seems. As others have said, it is surely sexist towards woman to presume that they will not be included in football chat as they don’t like football.

This is also intentionally sexist towards men by suggesting they aren’t allowed to discuss a topic of interest due to their gender.

Back