No one on the posts

Earl of Leven

Official Ticketer
Is this due to zonal marking, a fashion, related to 'swift transition'?

Just watched Bremen score a long, looping header that just drifted in at far post. This is very common now.

Is there a specific reason?

Probably due to the fact so few goals are scored, statistically speaking, from corners anyway teams think they'll have even less of a chance of conceding if all attacking players or indeed more 'space' within the box is picked up?

What I mean is say the attacking team has a guy that's great in the air, would he have less chance of scoring if two men were on him or there was less space for him to attack the ball?

No idea if that's right btw, I'd generally always have guys on posts too.

Attacking team has one player taking the corner and two players and a goalkeeper outside the box = 7 players in the box.

Defending team has 1 player on halfway line, one on each of the posts = 7 players plus their goalkeeper in the box.

This makes it pretty much man to man.

A lot of defending teams, rightly imo, prefer to obstruct the space in the boxfor attackers to get a run so need to get extra men to do that. It's the same argument as bringing everyone back for a corner. Having so many defenders in there obstructs the space and massively reduces the chances of an attacker getting a run and a clean header.

Additionally, some goalkeepers prefer to defend the goal themselves.

There's merit to all sides of the argument. It's personal choice.

As we’re talking about corners I can not understand why the attacking team does not set up as if taking a short corner. the defending side have to take two players from the goal.

Therefore if ball is then played long the defence is a man short

Putting someone on the post is like admitting defeat, mind you. If your zonal and/or man marking is good enough, you won't need them.

I think it's changed for a few reasons. Firstly, the mix of zonal and man marking needs the players in other areas. If a team leaves a player up the pitch, that makes it even more difficult to put someone on a post.

Teams who bring everyone back do so with the intention of breaking out in a block when they clear the ball. Players on the post can end up too deep and play someone onside if a second ball comes in.

And the percentage of corners that need someone in that area is so low, teams are willing to take the risk to have a player in a more effective area.

Just my take on it. If it was somehow a huge mistake, you wouldn't have as many teams who don't put people on posts as you do.

Is this due to zonal marking, a fashion, related to 'swift transition'?

Just watched Bremen score a long, looping header that just drifted in at far post. This is very common now.

Is there a specific reason?

I hate it - a pal is an ex pro defender at epl level and is certain that it is best not to have defenders on post - I think you should

Instead of having two men out the game they can be in the mix heading the ball clear is the reasoning I've heard.

For me , a man on each post is a must !

Each coach has his own idea. Remember Le Guen v Chesney at Ibrox. One had a defender on front post, nobody on back post, the other complete opposite. Each to their own.

I thought this was in reference to us last night. Don’t know if it happened at all of their corners but we never had anyone on the posts for one of their corners in the first half. Can anyone confirm if we have stopped doing it or if we only do this in Europe?

Back