No yanks in Russia

I go to MLS games and hope it goes from strength to strength.
I was hoping for a US win tonight.......fucked it up though. Everything to play for, against a team with nothing to play for.

FIFA will be kicking themselves. They made it virtually impossible for the US to fail to qualify and they've only gone and done it. All those lovely US dollars missed out on.

Gutted by this,imagine a World Cup without the super illustrious chanting of USA,USA,USA o_O

I am never quite sure if that is done as a show of national pride and support for their own team or simply to piss off anybody that comes up against them ... certainly does my coupon in listening to it.:mad:

Some big teams out.

USA
Chile
Netherlands
Scotland ;)

Can potentially add Italy to that if they don’t go through play offs.

I'm not sure this is good news for the growth of football in the US. The World Cup was a big part of that.

Agreed. Just what I was going to post myself. It has been the USA’s world cup campaigns that really fuelled the interest in [real] football. I wonder if Adidas will be concered given they have just commited $700m in a deal with the MLS.

Agreed. Just what I was going to post myself. It has been the USA’s world cup campaigns that really fuelled the interest in [real] football. I wonder if Adidas will be concered given they have just commited $700m in a deal with the MLS.
True but the Adidas brand and marketing machine will be a key ally in continuing to grow the game over there.

Now that is an absolute shocker. Just as well the game isn’t taken that seriously in the US or there would have been riots!

Seriously though how could this happen? Don’t get me wrong I love an underdog story as much as the next person but this has to be one of the biggest shocks in International Football in recent times.

Keep hearing this over the years about growing football in the US... Who really cares?
It’s good for the reach of the game and it’s a real positive that the Americans are staunchly against the corruption in the game.

Players like Beesley, Reyna and Bocanegra have all done well for Rangers.

It’s good for the reach of the game and it’s a real positive that the Americans are staunchly against the corruption in the game.

Players like Beesley, Reyna and Bocanegra have all done well for Rangers.

So because we have had American players I should give a shit about America qualifying?

Football is the biggest game on the planet without it being big in America, I couldn't care less if they made it to a WC or not, just don't get the clamour for it...

Keep hearing this over the years about growing football in the US... Who really cares?

I t doesn't exist that's why, the vast majority don't give a shit about football, I have 4 good mates from Rhode Island, granted it's hardly the population of the country but what they said to me when they were over just last week was, "you realise NFL/College football has things sown up,without even factoring in Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey, even Lacrosse is somewhat bigger"

So aye, they don't care :D

I t doesn't exist that's why, the vast majority don't give a shit about football, I have 4 good mates from Rhode Island, granted it's hardly the population of the country but what they said to me when they were over just last week was, "you realise NFL/College football has things sown up,without even factoring in Baseball, Basketball, Ice Hockey, even Lacrosse is somewhat bigger"

Nonsense. The ever growing Hispanic community is mostly football nuts. The American population in general definitely care about the World Cup. Just check out the TVs ratings for the 2014 finals and the fact that more match tickets were bought in the US than any other country.

True. I'm not sure I could jave stomached a Trump/Putin love-in.
I know - it could have been an eye opener...:eek:
3ZonrsK.jpg

So because we have had American players I should give a shit about America qualifying?

Football is the biggest game on the planet without it being big in America, I couldn't care less if they made it to a WC or not, just don't get the clamour for it...
Too true - There's probably a few on here who don't give two shits if Northern Ireland qualify. ;)

Lacrosse?

Football doesn't need to break the main sports, it can co-exist and do extremely well. There's this odd narrative - usually from those outside the US - that is soccer isn't bigger than baseball/basketball/ice hockey then it isn't a success.

Perhaps your friends should have a closer look at the growth of the MLS, the attendances and the size of the sponsorship and television deals - it would suggest they're simply ignorant rather than representative.

Coz I go to the states for ma holidays it would have been great to see the USA there.

Was there in 2014 when it was a German/ Argie final and the eatery we watched game in was electric. Even better when Germany won.

Lacrosse? There isn't even a major league for that sport so that comment in nonsense.

Sports in the US are extremely regional with the exception of the NFL. If there is a major league team in any sport then the local ratings are good otherwise they are nothing special. The US men and women's world cup ratings are as high as NBA and MLB playoff and finals games.

Proper football is getting as popular as NBA/NHL/MLB across the west coast and in other locations across the country, not getting to the world cup is a big blow to the game here.

Back