Non Rangers moments from your youth that made you love football

evo14

Official Ticketer
A bit of light hearted relief after the weekend.

What are your non Rangers related moments from your youth that made football magical for you?

A few stand out for me. I don't think I took much of an interest in football till I was maybe 7 or 8 so everything for me was 1993 or afterwards.

The 1994 World Cup, I literally couldn't sleep for excitement. I think I must have watched every single game in that and seeing all the big names of the time playing in those massive USA stadiums was fantastic. I wanted Brazil to win, and still remember seeing the Republic of Ireland beat Italy who were among the favourites and realising that the better team might not always win. The penalty shootout in the final had me on the edge of my seat.

I also remember following Arsenal in the Cup Winners Cup that year and being excited to watch the games every Thursday night even though the games were dire. I'm probably worng about this but felt like every Arsenal game in that competition seemed to finish with a 1-0 aggregate score.

The Champions League that year was great too, only seen a handful of the games but remember AC Milan winning the final 4-0 and hoping George Weah might be at Rangers the next year! If I recall correctly, we got knocked out by AEK Athens in the 1st round that year, I remember reading the Rangers News article and there was an interview there with Davie Robertson where he was basically calling AEK a bunch of hacking bassas. 1996 was absolute magic too, watching probably the best Juventus team in history steamroller everyone in their path (us included sadly)

Euro 96 stands out too. I remember going to my uncle Jim's for the England-Scotland game. Was one of those magic moments in life of "Go and get yourself a wee beer from the fridge son, just don't tell yer mum". Tasted effing rank but I finished it. Genuinely thought at half time that Scotland would be winning and was gutted when we lost, but that goal from Gazza...sublime. I remember my uncle saying "Andy will biff him when they get back to training after that!".

Genuinely thought England would win it that year, best England team I can remember.

I could be here for a fortnight writing this!

The three major tournaments 94, 96, 98 were excellent. Scotland - Brazil was my 16th Birthday. Watched a huge number of games from France. Tbh I dont really bother with them now.

Holland 74 world cup and west brom in 1978 tennents tournament pre season at Ibrox both teams played sexy football

Gordon McQueen's header against England in the 70's is the only inspiration I had away from Rangers.

Wasn't many games on tv then.

The three major tournaments 94, 96, 98 were excellent. Scotland - Brazil was my 16th Birthday. Watched a huge number of games from France. Tbh I dont really bother with them now.

I rememeber sprinting home from school to watch the Scotland-Brazil game at France 98. Thought we would get scudded, but we held our own. The final was a bit deflating though, France rolled over Brazil in what I thought would have been a much more competitive game.

86 world cup and 88 euro championships.
First big tournaments I remember 82 and 84 I remember bits.

Scotland england games I loved to watch .our neighbours daughter got married all out at half time. To see her go to the church.

'78 World Cup - first one I had wall chart, and sticker book etc
1980 FA Cup Final with Brooking's header - no idea why!
Forest winning EC

For me it has to be watching 2002 World Cup final watching Ronaldo score 2 goals to erase the spectre of France 98.

'And Ronaldo is rampant now!'

Magical.

Greece winning Euro 2004 and watching the CL Final of 2005 were big moments for me as a young lad.

We flew out to Greece on holiday the morning after they won it. Great memories!

Lots of memories from the 70s, the world cup in 74, and 78, Liverpool dominating, Ajax, the emergence of Forest....sticker albums, wallcharts....but best of all Subutteo....the greatest game of all

Early 70’s English football, some great moments which sealed my love of the game Charlie George’s winner for Arsenal in FA cup final v Liverpool , Peter Osgood’s goal in cup final replay at old Trafford v. Leeds, Hereford v Newcastle cup win. Loads of great moments whic stay in the memory

Most of what this guy did in his early years blew my mind and had me desperate to get back outside with my ball, but I remember me and my mates discussing this particular goal at school the next day.

Going round to my mates house to watch Monday night football on sky in the late 90s was brilliant.

Also Man United in the Champions League around the same time and into the early 2000s

Like a few others, WC'78. I would have been 7 going on 8 when it was on. The strips, the Argentinian superstars, the ticker tape in the stadium, Gemmell's goal, the sticker book, the subbuteo teams, the lot. I was a wee guy possessed from that point onwards.

As an aside - interesting how many people have selected WC's in reply... and then you look at the shitfest that international football is these days (not just talking about Scotland). We used to have something wonderful and now it's basically just a business.

Mexico 1970 world cup.
Great Ajax team of the early 1970's.
Holland at the 1974 world cup.
We must be around the same age as I was just coming on to post this!:)
The Brazilian team of that World Cup was incredible.
Holland with Cruyff,Neeskens and Jonny Repp etc.,were also superb.
Can`t really be bothered with international football now,though.

Gerrards last minute goal against West Ham 2005 fa cup final

Watching Paul Scholes live

Arsenals invincibles is up there too

But non compare to anything ive experienced with the Famous

I rememeber sprinting home from school to watch the Scotland-Brazil game at France 98. Thought we would get scudded, but we held our own. The final was a bit deflating though, France rolled over Brazil in what I thought would have been a much more competitive game.

I remember watching the game in my uncles house and was gutted that France battered Brazil.

Ronaldo and Rivaldo were my idols at the time.

Obviously it came out later that Ronaldo nearly died before the game and Nike forced him to play (allegedly).

Still believe R9 is the second best player ever behind Messi.

Archie Gemmel scoring against Holland in 1978

Hard to understate the feeling that the whole of Scotland were up off their seats at that moment.

Compare it with the present day, where most of us wouldn't even change the channel to catch the highlights of the Scotland game.

Vaguely remember Euro 96.

France 98 was brilliant, I also remember that Man United Champions League win in 1999, I'd never seen drama like that in a game of football.

Watching arsenal vs liverpool on a friday evening in may 89 slug it out for the title with my dad.

We were both supporting arsenal and jumped around the living room when thomas scored right at the end.

An amazing finish between the two teams who were gunning for the title and it hasnt been repeated since.

Last edited:
AMZNwG5.png

Watching Rangers beating Bayern Munich & Dynamo Moscow was pretty amazing in 1972. With me forever.

Looking away from us -

1970 Brazil. Greatest football team I’ve ever seen. Hammered a top class Italy 4.1 in the final in Mexico was just inspiring.

1974 Ajax team were incredible but despite losing the final in Germany to a disciplined Home nation.

On a personal level my brothers local boys club at U12 winning the Scottish Cup in 1976.
Pretty special.

Italia 90. I was captivated by it, emotional when Scotland were beaten by Brazil, but aside from that loved the tournament. I makes me sad when it is described as a low scoring bore.

The 78 world cup a 5 yr old kid getting caught up with ally tartan army.. and archies goal v holland... after that as a kid seeing liverpool,forest aston villa all win the european cup..
And strangly enough sitting in england cheering on aberdeen to the cwc win

Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle.

David Beckham's halfway line goal - everyone was trying it in school the following Monday.

Roberto Carlos's free kick against France.

Back