Non Rangers moments from your youth that made you love football

Gary McAllister missing a penalty and immediately Gazza went up the other end, chipped the ball over Colin Hendry and volleyed home. My parents weren't really interested in football but we watched that game that moment of magic was essentially the catalyst for me becoming a Rangers fan.

giphy.gif

Anytime watching Pelé with Brazil, Baxter's keepy-uppy at Wembley, the Peru free-kick in 1970 WC, Ernie Hunt's free-kick for Coventry (also 1970), the first time I saw Cruyff's turn . . . too many things to mention really.

World Cup 1998 is probably one of my best moments. We were at youth camp when Holland - Brazil played and being Belgians obviously rooted for the Brazilians ;)

The amount of world class players on show that day was incredible and it was such a great game too.
Apart from that it's probably mostly stuff from my local club Antwerp.

The Banks save and Brazil, in the 1970 World Cup

Cruyff and Holland in the 1974 World Cup

Ajax

All the Home International matches. I used to love games v England in particular. It really was special in those days when the old Hampden was absolutely packed and the entire nation was united, unlike the divided SNP Scotland these days.

Grandstand tickertape on a Saturday afternoon and MoTD

Last edited:
Brazil v Italy 1982 World Cup in Spain. Fantastic game of football.
Scotland beating England at Wembley in 1977 followed by a joyous pitch invasion.

For some reason Ireland beating Italy in USA '94 always stands out for me.

my cousin born in govan but lived in Rio/|Florida and Singapore his whole life.In 94 my grandpa died so came over for the funeral but my dad was able to get two extra tickets about an hour before kick off at the new years day 4-2 horsing of the mentally challenged at the piggery, his first ever soccer game.

That summer in the states, he gets tickets for the italy/ireland match and goes in his naivety in his rangers top. Not one person was brave enough to tell him it was a bit foolish so instead he was spat on but hundreds of mentally challengeds, no punches, no chat, no one willing to man up face to face with him just dirty mentally challenged grog.

was 13/14 when liverpool won the european cup against AC , started off wanting AC to win that night as i didn't really like liverpool but by the end of the night i was wanting them to win. sensational 6 mins from 3-0 to 3-3

Cameroon and Roger Milla in 1990.

Then Romania and Hagi in 1994.
Nearly exactly what I was gonna post. Except was just really Italia 90 in general (I was only 9). I got right into the whole Romania thing. Loved that team. Especially Hagi.

I don’t really remember much vividly before the 1998 World Cup - bits and pieces of Rangers and Scotland games. I remember crying in 1999 when Man U won the Champions league - they’d put out two Italian teams and I was Football Italia daft at the time. I remember the play off game between Man City and Gillingham - my gran is a City fan so I wanted them to do well. Nicky Weaver the hero in the shootout after they equalised in injury time.
I would have been 11/12 at the time but Rivaldo’s overhead kick to complete his hat trick and secure CL football for Barcelona against Valencia on the final day of the season is still arguably the best moment of football I’ve seen outwith a Rangers or Scotland related moment. Only thing that comes close was Aguero’s title winner, but I was 22 when that happened:p

1974 World Cup, Cruyff, Poland
1976 going to Tynecastle with my mates to watch Hearts in europe
1978 Argentina, Hungary wearing a local strip, long range shooting

Moments: Ronaldinho vs Seaman
Beckham vs Greece
Zidane Volley
Istanbul

Teams: Arsenal Invincibles
Mourinho Chelsea

Players: Fat Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Henry
Maldini
Kaka
Barthez (I was a keeper and I just really liked him)

Back