Nordic football association threatening to leave fifa

I don't agree with the proposal and think the WC should be every four years but the proposal would lead to a reduction in international games overall, which is a good starting point.

The only way it could work though is to get rid of the Euros.

The FIFA banter wagon just rolls on and on.

Give 2022 to a tiny petro-state with an appalling human rights record, no history of football and impossibly hot summers that force a bizarre volte-face into accepting it has to be a winter world cup.

Change the format of the 2026 World Cup to 48 teams and three (three!) team groups, then a round of 32. Also host in three separate countries.

2028 (?) Demand the whole thing become biennial because children aren't watching football and are too distracted by... I don't know, TikTok or something. Just shut up and agree and do what we say.

I suppose you shouldn't be stunned, based on past behaviour.

The world cup every four years was exciting as a kid and as I got older.
still is it makes it special up to the gave it to Qatar and moved it to the winter bloody spoiled the magic now this pish every two years bollocks to that.
I think I am the only one that thinks this will be magic. The World Cup final is the week before Xmas.

A big Xmas night out in the town centered round a world cup final at 7pm sounds class.

I think I am the only one that thinks this will be magic. The World Cup final is the week before Xmas.

A big Xmas night out in the town centered round a world cup final at 7pm sounds class.
Some of my happiest memories come from watching the World Cup/Euros on holiday and taking time off in the summer around them. I don't think it'll be the same when I'm working 9-5 and commuting back home in the rain/wind/snow.

Sadly if the big guns want it and UEFA allow FIFA to trample all over them, then there is nothing that Sweden and Denmark can do about it

Some of my happiest memories come from watching the World Cup/Euros on holiday and taking time off in the summer around them. I don't think it'll be the same when I'm working 9-5 and commuting back home in the rain/wind/snow.
Correct.
Used to do this with my sons ,until Covid scuppered this.
Would go abroad for the last group games ,when it really hyped up.
Three games a day ,take your pick, plenty of beer ,sunshine and banter.
Take this in, Qatar will have hosted the WC as many times as England.
Says it all really.£££££££

Sadly if the big guns want it and UEFA allow FIFA to trample all over them, then there is nothing that Sweden and Denmark can do about it
Well there is something they can do about it, they can leave FIFA like they are threatening to. And fair play to them if they do . I cannot believe that a man like arsene wenger, who i previously had a lot of time for, is driving this pure pish.

Yeah, i reckon you are the only one who thinks itll be good. Apart from the UEFA delegates who got bribed by qatar to award them the thing. Its gonna be shit.

Give 2022 to a tiny petro-state with an appalling human rights record, no history of football and impossibly hot summers that force a bizarre volte-face into accepting it has to be a winter world cup.

Change the format of the 2026 World Cup to 48 teams and three (three!) team groups, then a round of 32. Also host in three separate countries.

2028 (?) Demand the whole thing become biennial because children aren't watching football and are too distracted by... I don't know, TikTok or something. Just shut up and agree and do what we say.

I don't think there's anything else in this current discourse around Super Leagues and biennial World Cups that boils my piss more than the idea kids just don't want to watch football in its current format. Children probably aren't watching football at the elite level in the volumes of the past because it's no longer available on terrestrial tele as it was 10/20 years ago, and instead they have it on 3-5 different channels which all cost an absolute fortune when put together. On top of that, I dare say many are watching regularly, just for free illegally somewhere on the internet - but of course that doesn't count in UEFA and FIFA's world, if you're not paying for the product you don't exist in their mind.

25 and unders are the binge generation, we can and do watch series upon series of Netflix, YouTube or whatever else on a daily basis. If the geniuses at UEFA, FIFA and all the big leagues could find a way to affordably package games on the one platform I don't doubt they'd have lots of youths falling over themselves to watch as many 90 minute games as they could. Of course, there's not as much money in that approach though so we have to abandon that simple solution in pursuit of the absolute nonsense we've seen suggested over the last 18 months. If you didn't laugh you'd cry.

They’ll play in the World Cup every year if they’re told to, their clubs will be self barred from Euro competitions for a start. They are hardly big hitters, it’s not Brazil and Argentina or Germany and England dishing out empty threats. Sentiment and morals are on point but they will do what they’re told
Well there is something they can do about it, they can leave FIFA like they are threatening to. And fair play to them if they do . I cannot believe that a man like arsene wenger, who i previously had a lot of time for, is driving this pure pish.

A World Cup every two years would have its up sides and down sides.

4 years is a bit too long a gap, the best players only go up against each other 3 or 4 times in their career, with a two year gap they would play each 6-8 times in their career.
Give us peace Arsene!!!!

UEFA should aswell tell FIFA to f**k off , all european countries should then all FIFA would have is a shite competition
FIFA/UEFA are two cheeks of the same arse
The only dispute they have is who gets the biggest slice of the pie. UEFA are currently hogging that pie eating contest with the Euros every 4 years and the annual champions and europa leagues

UEFA are equally as corrupt as FIFA if not more so. The two Spanish giants are both over a billions pounds in debt and are currently suspended from European competition whilst they sort that one out ……,,, oh wait….
Yet another EPL club bought by the Saudi fun fund, FFP anyone? Russian oligarchs, Far Eastern betting syndicates American sports conglomerates, nothing to see here move along now folks. The only reason the drug cartels of South America aren’t involved is that they are more interested in the own local football, which I am sure is organised in an above reproach fashion. Makes or own SFA/ SPFA shenigans seem downright homely

I hate international football. Creates all these stupid gaps in the season and interrupts our flow. Duck fifa!

UEFA are equally as corrupt as FIFA if not more so. The two Spanish giants are both over a billions pounds in debt and are currently suspended from European competition whilst they sort that one out ……,,, oh wait….
Yet another EPL club bought by the Saudi fun fund, FFP anyone? Russian oligarchs, Far Eastern betting syndicates American sports conglomerates, nothing to see here move along now folks. The only reason the drug cartels of South America aren’t involved is that they are more interested in the own local football, which I am sure is organised in an above reproach fashion. Makes or own SFA/ SPFA shenigans seem downright homely
Forgot to mention that the vast majority of Eastern European countries appeal to be astonishing racist and have recently demonstrated that that future racist fan base is alive and thriving although UEFA can find no evidence to support that
Football as my generation knew it has gone forever. Who would have thought that the old SFA blazers of the 50s and 60s wpould have been proved right!!!!

A World Cup every two years would have its up sides and down sides.

4 years is a bit too long a gap, the best players only go up against each other 3 or 4 times in their career, with a two year gap they would play each 6-8 times in their career.

The best players play against each others 3 or 4 times a season as it is at club level.

It isn't the 1980s anymore, when you had genuine world class players at the domestic level in South America, and prior to the CL group stages great players might never meet in European competition.

Nations League, Europa Conference League, 2 year World Cups. If it wasn’t for Rangers, I’d be completely finished with football. Something I never thought I’d say.

They’ll play in the World Cup every year if they’re told to, their clubs will be self barred from Euro competitions for a start. They are hardly big hitters, it’s not Brazil and Argentina or Germany and England dishing out empty threats. Sentiment and morals are on point but they will do what they’re told
What itll do is start the ball rolling. If FIFA are serious about this then they will piss off the EPL and thats where the real power in football now is. If the nordic countries take this stance it makes it easier for others to follow. England probably would be forced to follow, they would only be the first, because of the EPL clubs opposition and the whole thing would be a waste of time.

Back