Norman Hunter: Leeds United legend in hospital with coronavirus

Craigie

I suppose if someone of "an age" is going to kick the shit of of this it's a fair chance to be Norman Hunter! Good luck sir.

Ex-England defender Norman Hunter is being treated in hospital after testing positive for coronavirus, his former club Leeds United have confirmed.

Hunter, 76, played 726 games in 15 years at Elland Road, won two league titles and played in the 1975 European Cup final defeat by Bayern Munich.

He was also part of Sir Alf Ramsey's England squad for the 1966 World Cup and went on to win 28 caps in total.

"Keep battling Norman, we are all with you," a Leeds statement said.

"We would like to take this opportunity to remind the public and the media to respect the wishes of Norman and his family and to give them the space they need during this difficult time."

Hunter's reputation as a fearsome tackler was borne out by his nickname 'Bites yer legs'.

He formed a strong partnership with Jack Charlton at the back for Leeds, also adding European silverware in the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, an FA Cup and a League Cup to his and the club's haul.

Only three Leeds players - Charlton, Billy Bremner and Paul Reaney - have made more appearances for the club.

Hunter also played for Bristol City and Barnsley, and then managed the Tykes along with Rotherham United.

I always thought his hard-man reputation wasn't deserved. He sh't himself when wee Franny Lee started windmilling punches at him.

Although to be fair it also meant he didn't get the credit he deserved as a player. A bit like Dave Mackay - a brilliant player who's only remembered nowadays for that picture of him lifting Billy Bremner off his feet by the scruff of the neck.

Was it him that made the mistake that lead to Poland scoring the goal at Wembley that knocked England out the world cup qualifiers for the 1974 tournament?

When we played Leeds at Ibrox around ‘68, Alex Ferguson received a pass in their box, at the Copeland Rd end. He took a touch and decided to run towards goal. Within about a millisecond Norman Hunter steamed in, tackled him and the chance was gone.

A beast of a player.

Was it him that made the mistake that lead to Poland scoring the goal at Wembley that knocked England out the world cup qualifiers for the 1974 tournament?
Not sure about that but I'd lay the blame squarely at the hands of Shilton for letting it slip through him.

Last edited:
Good luck Norman hope you're still as hard as nails and that you pull through this, I don't think many people associate him with the England 1966 squad , at the time it was customary that only the 11 players on the pitch at full time received winners medals, however, they did had a ceremony at Downing Street in 2009 and the squad players and backroom staff all received medals from a Scotsman, as Gordon Brown was PM at the time.

I wasn't a fan but Leeds were a top team under Don Reive when I was a kid and the thing that sticks in my mind is that they pretty much played the same team every week for years, off the top of my head

Sprake
Reaney
Charlton
Hunter
Cooper
Bremner
Giles
Lorimer
Jones
Gray
Clarke

Subs Madeley , who could play anywhere then Yorath , I remember they had another guy who only played the odd games, Bates I think.

Shows how much times change with the massive squads and the rotation that the teams have now and I doubt I could name the Liverpool or Man City first 11 just now, let alone in 40 years time !

Cool story alert!
He was way before my time, I had never heard of him but randomly had a facetime with him and Reaney who was mentioned there when my missus met them at some conference last year. Really nice guy, spoke away for ages about Leeds and the experience of being in that squad in 66. Basically he's my mate!
Get well soon Sir, smash this b@stard of a virus!!

Sorry to hear this, a stalwart in that Leeds team, nickname was "bite yer legs", remember that square go with Frannie Lee! Get well soon Norman

Think you`re right dh.... boy out on the Polish left wing nutmegged him by the halfway line (iirc).
Think that was also the night Clough called Tomaszewski a clown.

He was an after dinner speaker at an event I was at - told some superb stories. Hope he gets well and beats the virus...

Good luck Norman hope you're still as hard as nails and that you pull through this, I don't think many people associate him with the England 1966 squad , at the time it was customary that only the 11 players on the pitch at full time received winners medals, however, they did had a ceremony at Downing Street in 2009 and the squad players and backroom staff all received medals from a Scotsman, as Gordon Brown was PM at the time.

I wasn't a fan but Leeds were a top team under Don Reive when I was a kid and the thing that sticks in my mind is that they pretty much played the same team every week for years, off the top of my head

Sprake
Reaney
Charlton
Hunter
Cooper
Bremner
Giles
Lorimer
Jones
Gray
Clarke

Subs Madeley , who could play anywhere then Yorath , I remember they had another guy who only played the odd games, Bates I think.

Shows how much times change with the massive squads and the rotation that the teams have now and I doubt I could name the Liverpool or Man City first 11 just now, let alone in 40 years time !

Replace Reaney for Madeley and that team absolutely dismantled Man Utd at Elland Road in 1972......Best and Charlton on the receiving end.

I just about remember an article some years ago (maybe in 4-4-2 magazine or something like that) called, English Football's Toughest Defenders (or Players) of All-Time.

Players from the 1960's/early 70's featured largely. Of course Norman Hunter of Leeds United was in there, Ron Harris of Chelsea, Tommy Smith of Liverpool, Dave Mackay of Spurs, Peter Storey of Arsenal and Nobby Stiles of Man Utd to name a few.

It was a different game back then in terms of fouling and tackling. There were many punches thrown and fights between several players and kick boxing looked as if it was part of the game. The faces of some of those mentioned above wouldn't look out of place on a group wanted poster.

Last edited:
Back