Norman Hunter v Franny Lee

Anybody remember an Arsenal/Man U game when Ure and Law kicked fcuk out of each other for about 75 min and eventually both got sent off.

The two of them stood looking at the ref as if he was deranged. :D

Never mind the ball, just get on with the game.

They were international roommates at the time. Frannie dived for a penalty and things boiled over from there. I also seem to remember a classic ding dong between Ray Stewart and Brian Kidd in the early 80s?

What about the big man for Derby, was it Roger Davies, who threw such a sweet punch that a boxing promoter tried to persuade him to go professional?

Hunter, like Jack Charlton, was a bully when football was played by men, not the frauds of today. Lee had suffered at the hands ( feet ) of Hunter on many occasions and this was payback time. A full on square go in the middle of a professional football park. Hunter was probably shocked at the ferocity of Lee's attack.

When footballers were real men. My favourite era.
I was there I went with a school friend and his dad we were about 13 and we were put in what was called the kiddie Penn with about 100 other youngsters most of the old baseball ground at that time had standing terraces and it was full to capacity we were behind the goal at I think was the Normanton end it all start because Lee dived and got a penalty and Hunter called him a cheat if carried on brewing into the second half when fists started flying I remember Gordon Guthrie and Dave Mackay running onto the pitch and dragging Led away

Today's stronger and fitter players would be too much for those of bygone days. Hovis like nostalgia clouds the mind.
Plenty of iron men out there.

If something similar happened in the modern game there's a fair chance both would be suspended sine die. If such a punishment still exists. As it was Lee continued playing for another year and Hunter played on well into the 80s.

I think I can remember similar scenes involving Bremner & Keegan. It may have been The Charity Shield at Wembley. Alternatively I've been sober too long

I was there I went with a school friend and his dad we were about 13 and we were put in what was called the kiddie Penn with about 100 other youngsters most of the old baseball ground at that time had standing terraces and it was full to capacity we were behind the goal at I think was the Normanton end it all start because Lee dived and got a penalty and Hunter called him a cheat if carried on brewing into the second half when fists started flying I remember Gordon Guthrie and Dave Mackay running onto the pitch and dragging Led away
And...breathe :))

Ah when men were men and to paraphrase the Magnificent One those sly dago's hadn't infested our game with their diving.

Ah when men were men and to paraphrase the Magnificent One those sly dago's hadn't infested our game with their diving.
Thing is I can remember my father, uncles and grandfather bemoaning namby pamby modern footballers in the 70s just as I do now as an old geezer
In 40 years time Josh Windass and Christiano Ronaldo will be held up as examples of "real men" by that generation'so old geezers

What about the big man for Derby, was it Roger Davies, who threw such a sweet punch that a boxing promoter tried to persuade him to go professional?

Craig Leviens punch was the best I’ve ever seen cannot remember the other guys name but he was out on his arse

You can tell Hunter can't fight sleep and he was supposed to be a hard man. Just a bully.
That’s why all the comment of hard footballers of the time mention Hunter, alongside the Tommy Smiths and the Dave McKay’s, get a grip of yourself you bitter man.

Craig Leviens punch was the best I’ve ever seen cannot remember the other guys name but he was out on his arse
Really? that was during a Hearts pre season friendly, or possible LC game against possibly Arbroath. Team mate Hogg was the victim. Did he go on to fight another bout? :)

I don't think Hunter going down can be called a knockdown, looked more like a slip to me whereas Lee definitely took a standing count in Rd 1. Lee gets points for aggression in Rd 2. A pity the rest of the players started piling in and getting the fight stopped! Halcyon days

Some hardy lads in both those sides back then, always liked Lee as a footballer, didn’t think he could swing punches like that though.

What was the cause for the punch up?I understand it had been brewing but was it a tackle or something off the ball.I think Hunter gave him a cheeky on first and then Lee went for it so fair do’s to him.When football was a mans game.Sad to see those days go to be honest.

There's a funny anecdote of many years later when both were in their fifties, and it's Manchester City v Leeds at Maine Rd. Lee says to Hunter, ''right, you and me outside''.

What was the cause for the punch up?I understand it had been brewing but was it a tackle or something off the ball.I think Hunter gave him a cheeky on first and then Lee went for it so fair do’s to him.When football was a mans game.Sad to see those days go to be honest.

Hunter believed Lee dived earlier in the game to win a PK.

I'm not talking about kicking smaller men about a football pitch. Hunter showed how hard he was in that clip.
You are basing your whole argument on ten seconds of footage where a big guy doesn’t hit a smaller guy, who by the way we’re room mates on England duty, is that what you are telling me?

Remember watching the highlights on Sportscene that night and my old man just keeping on saying “FFS! FFS!” Those were the days! We drew 1-1 with the scum at the piggery that day but according to the Evening Times archive the Scottish match on that night was Hearts v Hibs which ended in crowd trouble after a 92nd minute Pat Stanton equaliser for Hibs in another 1-1 draw. Men were men in the 70’s.

Graeme Hogg was the recipient of Levein's attack. They were arguing about who was to blame for something and as Hogg turned away Levein launched a haymaker. Broke his jaw if I remember correctly.

Back