Northern Ireland fans' 'we hate Catholics' song condemned by IFA

We also need to drop this song,idiots in Blackpool after Legends game in nightclub getting DJ to play it so they can sing along,dragging Rangers name into the gutter well done idiots

March 25 2019
The Irish Football Association has condemned a video containing Northern Ireland fans singing "we hate Catholics".

It comes after the video circulated on social media on Monday evening.
The video shows a number of people dressed in Northern Ireland replica shirts singing "we hate Catholics, we hate Roman Catholics" to the tune of Tiffany's 'I Think We're Alone Now'.
It is unclear when exactly the footage is from.
The official Northern Ireland teams account responded to a posting of the video on Twitter saying "this is utterly wrong and we condemn sectarianism in any form".
Belfast Telegraph Digital

Anybody else see this?

I attended both games on Thursday and Sunday with some Catholic friends.

I know for a fact that this does not represent those that actually go to Windsor and can bet you anything the pricks in the video never even went to the game.

Trying to undo all the good work we as a country have done over the last 15 years or so regarding a cross community National team.

A few drunken cretins in the Royal are not representative of our fan base. Stupid shit like like this brings us back 20 years.

Utterly embarrassing. Wish they'd GTF.

However the IFA can GTF too.

I'll take no moral guidance from an organisation who's Chief Executive sings songs in support of ira murderes and who operate a sectarian policy of stealing RC players from Northern Irleand.
Your confusing the IFA and FAI mate.

The Irish Football Association govern NI. The guy your referring to is John Delaney, who stood down as head of the Football Association of Ireland last week over corruption charges.

I attended both games on Thursday and Sunday with some Catholic friends.

Maybe they couldn't get to Gibraltar ?

There’s a guy in the video who works in the office where I work and I’d say he’s starting to panic. Everyone has seen it and it’s all over the news.

Utterly embarrassing. Wish they'd GTF.

However the IFA can GTF too.

I'll take no moral guidance from an organisation who's Chief Executive sings songs in support of ira murderes and who operate a sectarian policy of stealing RC players from Northern Irleand.

The IFA are Northern Irelands governing body, I think they are well within their right to offer moral guidance to fans of theirs singing this pish

It's an extremely crass song and one that will embarrass the good people of the Protestant and Loyalist community but what is even worse is the faux outrage from the very same hypocrites that were happily defending the U* T*E *A chants recently.

The only difference between this in The Sandy Row and a republican night elsewhere is they are not thick enough to video it.

Fucking smarten up, drop the song and drop the fucking recording.

It’s a song , it might not be a very nice song but that’s all it is

People need to get a grip and stop getting offended by some clown signing a song

Ban this song, ban that song, where does it end?

I hate the religion but the people that practice it don’t bother me per say

Oh yeah, I think catholosism as a whole is pretty evil, and I don't really think any religion makes sense. Cant blame people for following the religion they were told to follow as a child. Some keep at it, some see that it is questionable.

Nonsense. Imagine it was a group of Celtic fans having a party singing we hate proddies. They'd be called a whole lot worse. There is no difference - it's just reveling in hatred and bigotry, and that is the past time of a scumbag
They’re in their own company doing it, anyone that gets offended by a song has a shit life and needs to have a look at themselves imo

Tiffany's was a cover version , the original was by Tommy James & The Shondells , however this latest 'version' needs binned right now.

Also covered by Lena Lovich and the Rubinoos (my personal favourite)

Agree on the rest of the post. Moronic

They’re in their own company doing it, anyone that gets offended by a song has a shit life and needs to have a look at themselves imo

I'm not offended by the song, but I do hate it, it offers absolutely nothing. Don't get me started on the absolute arseholes who record and forward on these videos or upload them to social media for a few likes. Absolutely no thoughts about the folk they are videoing and how it may affect their lives. There will be decent folk lose their jobs over this, I don't think they should but they will.

It's 2019, is this the kind of thing I want my son growing up with? No, absolutely not.

I generally head to the toilets if this wank comes on in the bar as its just not worth the hassle

Nonsense. Imagine it was a group of Celtic fans having a party singing we hate proddies. They'd be called a whole lot worse. There is no difference - it's just reveling in hatred and bigotry, and that is the past time of a scumbag

Have a day off mate.

The people who were doing monkey noises at the England players in Montenegro last night are scum. A group of pissed up people having a sing song in a boozer (that some idiot decided to plaster all over social media) are daft but not scum.

I find it utterly hilarious that I'm the one who has to grow up when the topic of discussion is grown men singing a cheesy 80s love song and changing the words to "we hate catholics"

well you are moaning quiet a lot about it, you would think your losing money every time we or others sing it .

well you are moaning quiet a lot about it, you would think your losing money every time we or others sing it .

Nope, just losing respect for anyone who "partakes". Again, find it very odd I'm the one getting pelters here when a guy on this very thread said there are times it is "lovely".

And it's not just the song in isolation is it? It's not some off the cuff thing, it stems from a legitimate searing hatred of catholics. Again, if this was a group of ROI fans singing we hate Proddies, there would be far, far worse said on here than I'm saying.

Nope, just losing respect for anyone who "partakes". Again, find it very odd I'm the one getting pelters here when a guy on this very thread said there are times it is "lovely".

And it's not just the song in isolation is it? It's not some off the cuff thing, it stems from a legitimate searing hatred of catholics. Again, if this was a group of ROI fans singing we hate Proddies, there would be far, far worse said on here than I'm saying.
well.......they probably do hate proddies or British imperialists as they think of us.
But am not one to really fall over about it .

Here’s a crazy f@cked up idea not everyone will agree on but here goes... the club has repeatedly asked us all REPEATEDLY to behave like we are ambassadors for the club we are supposed to love so that’s a big clue as to how to conduct oneself and the other example that comes to mind was a man called Walter Smith, he was a guy just an ordinary bloke from a wee place in the east end of Glasgow called Carmyle who grew up a Rangers fan and actually went on to manage the club, anyway turns out he used to sing the songs , aye even the naughty ones but came to the conclusion times had moved on and singing a lot of Shyte isn’t in the BEST interests of Rangers so pleaded with the support to stop it...how weird is that?

I used to indulge in all of the songs. Not particularly proud of it as I reflect on it as an older and wiser man, but I dont consider I was “ pond life “ as some are being labelled on here, so i refrain from labelling the ones doing it now as such. Naive yes. The club can only reinforce its position on this stuff and hope the message lands.

For those unwilling to stop, they need to be fully aware the consequences of being charged for indulging in these songs could be life changing.

Back