Northern Ireland Women

Article here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59536154

Northern Ireland women's captain Marissa Callaghan admits she doesn't get the experience of "standing tall and singing the anthem as loud as I can" when representing her country.

Callaghan, a Catholic, will lead NI women's team to a first-ever major tournament at Euro 2022 next summer.
'God Save the Queen' is the national anthem of Northern Ireland.

"It's quite sad, I think, in terms of...Northern Ireland don't really have their own identity," said Callaghan.

Callaghan, 36, referenced there only being "one anthem" when Northern Ireland faced England at Wembley in October, as the hosts also used 'God Save the Queen'.

The Cliftonville midfielder told UTV's 'A Game of Two Halves': "As a Catholic player, unfortunately I don't get that experience of standing tall and singing the anthem as loud as I can but it doesn't take away the pride and the passion and what it means to pull on the green shirt.

"It will take someone to think outside the box and be brave enough to move it forward."

Callaghan added she grew up supporting Celtic and the Republic of Ireland, and would travel to watch Celtic at Parkhead with her father, however she now supports NI's men's team as well as captaining the history-making women's side.

"We all feel welcome coming here and there is no better place than Windsor Park," added Callaghan.

"I am a massive supporter of the men's [team] and what they done at Euro 2016, I think they inspired a nation and inspired a nation of new supporters."

These sorts really are toxic.

Also, the NI team plays in Green, has shamrocks on the badge, is the ONLY team on the island that develops players from all communities in Northern Ireland. If you don’t want to sing it, don’t sing it, I see plenty of England players do the same, but hard not to feel that some won’t be happy until and vestige of Unionism is away from NI.

Kyle laffertys agent saying they could play both the queen and some rebel tune,would be interesting at Windsor

Here’s the deal. There’s Protestants make a choice to play for Ireland in the Rugby. Each to their own, it wouldn’t be my idea. Despite what they claim though, they still have the Anthem as the Soldier’s Song. There is a section of their crowd who actively hate they singing Ireland’s Call as well at home games only as a “concession” and think the Prods should like it or lump it.

Can’t have it both ways. Like it or lump it, play for us or don’t. If you can’t have the respect to at least stand there for the duration and stare into space if that’s your thing, just don’t.

And M O’N needs a good boot in the hoop too. He knew what he was doing.

The idea that a GSTQ-less Norn Iron would have these bigots flocking to play or watch us is farcical anyways. They either want to or get stuffed, you wouldn’t be missed.

Yet another attack on Unionist culture and history in Northern Ireland, they’re incessant.

She could always kneel and get a big cheer

It will take someone to think outside the box and be brave enough to move it forward.
This is a Rapinoe-tier quote. Those types love the words "brave" and "powerful".
Callaghan added she grew up supporting Celtic and the Republic of Ireland, and would travel to watch Celtic at Parkhead with her father, however she now supports NI's men's team as well as captaining the history-making women's side.

"We all feel welcome coming here and there is no better place than Windsor Park," added Callaghan.

"I am a massive supporter of the men's [team] and what they done at Euro 2016, I think they inspired a nation and inspired a nation of new supporters."
She also just admits that she's a bandwagon jumper. Wow!

Last edited:
44220-EC5-2925-4-BAF-9-FF8-677869-B027-CF.jpg
I’ve just seen this posted on social media. Just to prove that it’s all one way traffic, heaven forbid the GAA would be asked the same…..

Anyone complains is a Bigot ! If they stopped playing GSTQ they will be looking to change the Ulster flag next ! You never hear any of the prods that play for Ireland at the rugby complain they have to stand for the Irish anthem ,. As I've always said the only bigots out there is the Catholics as they will never be happy

Rugby's a different game different people.
If she was a rugby player she would have privately made a complaint to the governing bodies or lived with it.

I’m bemused why a Catholic cannot sing the anthem? I’m not obviously but why can’t they just call her a bigot and let’s be done with skirting around the big boy conversations that need to happen
Exactly .
Most catholics in England don't have a problem singing The National Anthem ; Of course , they don't have the west of Scotland / Irish nationalist grievance culture and bigotry hammered into them from birth ..... Sad really .

Exactly .
Most catholics in England don't have a problem singing The National Anthem ; Of course , they don't have the west of Scotland / Irish nationalist grievance culture and bigotry hammered into them from birth ..... Sad really .
As I said. It's nothing to do with the religion in itself. It's politics.

They are not the same fkn thing, no matter how much they want it to be.

44220-EC5-2925-4-BAF-9-FF8-677869-B027-CF.jpg
I’ve just seen this posted on social media. Just to prove that it’s all one way traffic, heaven forbid the GAA would be asked the same…..
Don't think anyone is asking anybody to do the same. She is wrong in what she's saying and the way shes saying it. The NI team, irish rugby, and the gaa all have their own identities and messing with that would be dangerous I think

Kyle Lafferty's agent is a Sinn Fein supporting scumbag, surprised he got involved with such a low life, Gerry Carlisle is his name, a real shit stirrer.

When are the ifa going to address this issue? Open the doors, have an open and honest conversation about what football in Northern Ireland is about and means to people and see what comes of it. If nothing else - it will help understand what it is or isn’t to be ‘Northern Irish.’ I’m not scared of this, others might be.

Don't think anyone is asking anybody to do the same. She is wrong in what she's saying and the way shes saying it. The NI team, irish rugby, and the gaa all have their own identities and messing with that would be dangerous I think
The point being, when someone on the GAA forum asked that question they were shot down big time.

1. Nobody in the media pushes the agenda to the GAA about their IRA naming or anthem
2. Clearly we know the answer if they did, not that there was ever any doubt anyways

But as per usual, “being offended” in NI is a one way street.

"It will take someone to think outside the box and be brave enough to move it forward”

maybe you should then you bigoted cow, what is it you are fighting against.

She can %^*& off to the republic then! Same as the mens team of any bigot that doesn’t want to play for us!

I can see the queen being binned for NI matches. The day and hour that happens I’m finished with international football

Article here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59536154

Northern Ireland women's captain Marissa Callaghan admits she doesn't get the experience of "standing tall and singing the anthem as loud as I can" when representing her country.

Callaghan, a Catholic, will lead NI women's team to a first-ever major tournament at Euro 2022 next summer.
'God Save the Queen' is the national anthem of Northern Ireland.

"It's quite sad, I think, in terms of...Northern Ireland don't really have their own identity," said Callaghan.

Callaghan, 36, referenced there only being "one anthem" when Northern Ireland faced England at Wembley in October, as the hosts also used 'God Save the Queen'.

The Cliftonville midfielder told UTV's 'A Game of Two Halves': "As a Catholic player, unfortunately I don't get that experience of standing tall and singing the anthem as loud as I can but it doesn't take away the pride and the passion and what it means to pull on the green shirt.

"It will take someone to think outside the box and be brave enough to move it forward."

These sorts really are toxic.
It would be enlightening to find out why it is she feels she can’t sing the National anthem.

If you lived in Norn iron you'd know they've been at this for decades.. the simple fact is the ifa have bent over backwards for these bastards for years and quite simply no matter what they fold on next, the grass at Windsor would never be green enough for 90% of these rebels.

Here’s the deal. There’s Protestants make a choice to play for Ireland in the Rugby. Each to their own, it wouldn’t be my idea. Despite what they claim though, they still have the Anthem as the Soldier’s Song. There is a section of their crowd who actively hate they singing Ireland’s Call as well at home games only as a “concession” and think the Prods should like it or lump it.

Can’t have it both ways. Like it or lump it, play for us or don’t. If you can’t have the respect to at least stand there for the duration and stare into space if that’s your thing, just don’t.

And M O’N needs a good boot in the hoop too. He knew what he was doing.

The idea that a GSTQ-less Norn Iron would have these bigots flocking to play or watch us is farcical anyways. They either want to or get stuffed, you wouldn’t be missed.

Yet another attack on Unionist culture and history in Northern Ireland, they’re incessant.

They don't want a GSTQ-less NI, they are using it as another concession to their agenda, they'll see it that if they get what they want and the removal of our national anthem or adding something else it will split the support, reduce the crowds and another way to chip away at unionists on their mission to a united Ireland.

Back