Norwegian clubs proposing a boycott from 2022 World Cup

HMS.Temple.Garden

Seeing on Twitter at least 2 clubs, and few others quoted, that are raising concerns at their AGMs to present to the Norwegian Football Federation about the human rights in Qatar citing the number of deaths etc.

One club in particular wants the country to withdraw, should they qualify, all together and have issued a statement as such and its gathering support from other clubs.

Be interesting to see if other nations follow. Anyone reckon countries will actually boycott?

FK Bodø / Glimt is confident that the Norwegian Football Association will set up a process that will contribute to Norwegian football getting a clear and distinct voice for what the Norwegian football family thinks about human rights violations in different parts of the world .

The strategy per now has been dialogue and to criticize Qatar. The Norwegian Football Association has itself chosen to follow this strategy. A tool we in Tromsø IL believe in!

But the criticism and dialogue has led to nothing. The Guardian recently published a report showing an alarming number of deaths connected to the contruction of WC arenas. The numbers are tragic! The dialogue strategy has not been giving necessary results and we feel it is time to move on to the next step; a boycott.

We love that so many people love football and that many want to invest in our sport. Money has become and will always be a part of our sport. However, this does not mean, that we at the same time, accept corruption, life-threatening working conditions and look the other way when atrocities take place.

Tromsø IL believes it is time for football to stop and take a few steps back. We should think about what the idea of football is and why so many people love our sport. The fact that corruption, modern slavery and a high number of deaths are the foundation of the most important thing we have, the World Cup, is not acceptable at all. 

Seeing on Twitter at least 2 clubs, and few others quoted, that are raising concerns at their AGMs to present to the Norwegian Football Federation about the human rights in Qatar citing the number of deaths etc.

One club in particular wants the country to withdraw, should they qualify, all together and have issued a statement as such and its gathering support from other clubs.

Be interesting to see if other nations follow. Anyone reckon countries will actually boycott?
Fair play. Would be nice if other countries followed suit.

I recall a report stating that more people would die building the stadiums than would play in them. It was from a few years ago.

This will disappear quickly IMO.

Smaller countries may voice a concern but unless it one of the big five it’ll pretty much vanish.

NFF will have to do something or respond to it, they have a project and goals for the national team, qualifying for the World Cup is one of them!

With all the equality screaming & certain other politics that get flung around our countries, it would be very hypocritical for anyone playing this tournament. But we all know alot will be covered up & it will be paraded as the best world cup ever to keep the wealthy pigs happy.

NFF will have to do something or respond to it, they have a project and goals for the national team, qualifying for the World Cup is one of them!

In an ideal world they would pull out.

However, it depends on whether the NFF listens to it clubs - I'm cynical due to where I live but can't see any national association taking on FIFA due to their Clubs taking a moral stand.

Football's corrupt and has been fuucked for decades - it's not going to change because Rosenberg or whoever has a conscience.

As the western elites continue to beat themselves (or rather us) up over slavery, an evil institution we violently stamped out in the free world over a century and a half ago. Remember that those very same wealthy elites who bleat the most, will attend, fawn over and, most vile of all, profit from, a competition whose venues have been built by that exact evil in the present. And on a scale of bloodshed rarely seen when that institution was at its height in the west.
Remember the next time the likes of Gates, Bezos, Dorsey or any of the woke tech billionaires hector the likes of you or me over evil acts that ancestors we have little awareness of, probably never did, that they are more than happy to make money on their platforms covering this competition literally on the corpses of thousands of brown skinned slave labourers.

In an ideal world they would pull out.

However, it depends on whether the NFF listens to it clubs - I'm cynical due to where I live but can't see any national association taking on FIFA due to their Clubs taking a moral stand.

Football's corrupt and has been fuucked for decades - it's not going to change because Rosenberg or whoever has a conscience.

So they shouldn't at least try?

After the goings on of the last year, this should be higlighted more than ever!

I'm out there just now, looking out hotel window can see another 6 hotels getting built.

Buses and buses of workers everyday get brought in.

Stadium along the road getting built from containers.

Good on them.

I’d like to see some of the bigger nations do the same but I won’t hold my breath.

Good on them.

I’d like to see some of the bigger nations do the same but I won’t hold my breath.
If only the big clubs and Uefa could have used the whole Qatar farce as an opportunity to stage a coup against FIFA and wtest control of world football from them.
But I think that chance has long passed and it would have been a classic case of out of the frying pan and into the fire anyway.

So they shouldn't at least try?

After the goings on of the last year, this should be higlighted more than ever!
Of course they should - others should go with them.

Unfortunately, if any choose to do so, it'll be smaller insignificant nations who do - and they'll be blanked if FIFA's history is anything to go by.

In the current pishstorm of virtue signaling & fake compassion there are some justifiables, Qatar bought this world cup fifa corruption is rotten. Kudos to the vikings - possibly a few surviving scrotums (scrotum (plural scrotums or scrota)) over there.

Agree wit this totally. Surprised there isn't more support for it. But then again money and nationalism is a rancid combination, the root of all evil

Also, where are the Palestine supporting lot in this? Not a word.

Honestly, it's too late. The slavery and deaths building the stadium has already happened. Suddenly deciding that was for nothing seems almost worse.

But promoting this country on a World stage isn't ideal either.

A good stance to take but we’ve known it’s being played there for about a decade now. Any serious resistance to it has had plenty of opportunity to be organised by now, and doing it a month before World Cup qualifying starts screams of too little too late.

Would like to think other countries would support this if anything comes of it, but realistically think any chance of standing up to FIFA regarding this went long ago.

If any of the "smaller" countries pull out, after qualifying, FIFA will bring disrepute charges. Even though they're the amongst the biggest culprits in bringing disrepute to the sport. They are hypocrites.

Too late. Arab money flows through almost every major European league. You reap what you sow, these scumbags own a big slice of the pie.

It’s amazing how many woke people that were outspoken about BLM/Trump are silent over Qatar, Saudi, China, Yemen, UAE etc

The World Cup should never have been given to Qatar but all Fifa care about is £

Too late to do anything about it.
The brown envelopes have already been banked.
Some have probably been spent.

Celtic might see an opening here.

Awarding the World Cup to some autocratic environmentally unsustainable Islamist shithole in the Middle East is peak hubris and corruption from FIFA.

I hope this WC is never held and FIFA itself collapses. Would be best for football if this did happen

As the western elites continue to beat themselves (or rather us) up over slavery, an evil institution we violently stamped out in the free world over a century and a half ago. Remember that those very same wealthy elites who bleat the most, will attend, fawn over and, most vile of all, profit from, a competition whose venues have been built by that exact evil in the present. And on a scale of bloodshed rarely seen when that institution was at its height in the west.
Remember the next time the likes of Gates, Bezos, Dorsey or any of the woke tech billionaires hector the likes of you or me over evil acts that ancestors we have little awareness of, probably never did, that they are more than happy to make money on their platforms covering this competition literally on the corpses of thousands of brown skinned slave labourers.
Excellent post mate. Out of principle, I will not watch any of it. I know it will mean nothing to anyone, but I’ll feel better about it. Corrupt, vile bastards.

What a shitey world cup this will be

imagine being a fan going over there no drink or %^*& all sounds like great fun
I live in Qatar mate, what makes you say there’s no drink?

I was with 30 of the Qatar Loyal at the bar where we meet on Thursday past - steaming and Rangers tunes blasting.

Last edited:
I recall a report stating that more people would die building the stadiums than would play in them. It was from a few years ago.
On the radio last week they quoted over 6000 fatalities.

A fatality is an accident 6000 is a lot of accidents.

Back