Not bad for going backwards under SG

Qualification for the last 16 is a fantastic achievement and Braga the other night was fantastic. And I’m glad it’s healed a lot of people’s wounds, but me? Personally I’m still disgusted at the way we’ve thrown the league away and it’ll take something really special for me to get past that before the seasons out.

Qualification for the last 16 is a fantastic achievement and Braga the other night was fantastic. And I’m glad it’s healed a lot of people’s wounds, but me? Personally I’m still disgusted at the way we’ve thrown the league away and it’ll take something really special for me to get past that before the seasons out.

Seems to be a rule that you can't be both concerned about Gerrard's domestic record and delighted with his progress in Europe.

Seems to be a rule that you can't be both concerned about Gerrard's domestic record and delighted with his progress in Europe.

Honesty, it’s further increased my frustration over the whole thing. From a technical point of view, we’re clearly every bit as good as them and if not better, but this weird mental block our squad has with SPL dross and expectation to win, coupled with the gaffer’s stubbornness with his preferred system and some of his preferred players has seen us blow a really brilliant opportunity to sink them.

Immensely proud of the team’s Europeans exploits, but it doesn’t even nearly make up for the farce that has been the last 6 or 7 weeks domestic form, in handing them another comfortable title win.

Would love to hear from all the people giving him abuse over the past few days and see their thoughts now

Firstly I have never abused him but I've been very critical.. domestically.

He has worked wonders in europe, no doubt about it however we're on the verge of finishing trophyless again domestically.

I've already stated if Gerrard can find another formation domestically that can break teams down then I'll back him.. but I cant get behind a manager who's too stubborn to change a failing system.

Another negative result on Saturday and this place will flip on its head regardless of European success.

we were robbed of the league cup and our league position is being made worse than it is by the mentally challengeds incredible run.

we are making progress and Gerrard will win us the league.

It’s been made worse by pathetic performances against Hearts, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone over the course of a month and a half. I.e, a monumental collapse right when we were in a fantastic position to go into the business end of the season and really see what they’re made of. Saying anything else is dressing it up to make the situation appear better than it actually is.

I don't think we will win the EL.

But it's something to enjoy on a game by game basis and saves the rest of the season from feeling like a chore.

It certainly doesn't make up for the way the league has panned out.

I thought there were deep problems after the St J game.

I'm very glad to have been wrong.

I think you need to chill out pal. Whether you like it or not, Lennon has Celtic in fine form domestically and we've been subjected to some horrendous decisions that has cost us 6 points at least.

Celtic's form is unsustainable, whether that run fizzles out before the end of the season remains to be seen.

I'm delighted with our progress and will not be blinded by a tainted 10IAR.

And we have bagged 100% of the prize money given to nations in the last 16 - nobody to share it with.....£11M in the back hipper

*EDIT: Ignore me on this!! Talking garbage - misinterpretation

Last edited:
Think we’re all disappointed with the league form mate because we were so close till the break. But we will get more respect in Europe than for any SPL win, even at the start of the draw today SG was the first player mentioned by Haman who was making the draw.
The league is our bread and butter and obviously we are desperate to win it again sooner rather than later. And I believe we will but for now let’s do a Manchester.

Reactions: ao2
I think you need to chill out pal. Whether you like it or not, Lennon has Celtic in fine form domestically and we've been subjected to some horrendous decisions that has cost us 6 points at least.

Celtic's form is unsustainable, whether that run fizzles out before the end of the season remains to be seen.

You do that mate. I’ll chill when we’re able to stay in the title race beyond January. Until then I’ll stay highly critical of our team.

Think we’re all disappointed with the league form mate because we were so close till the break. But we will get more respect in Europe than for any SPL win, even at the start of the draw today SG was the first player mentioned by Haman who was making the draw.
The league is our bread and butter and obviously we are desperate to win it again sooner rather than later. And I believe we will but for now let’s do a Manchester.

With all due respect mate, I’m not interested in gaining respect, what are we Celtic now where we need to loved and adored?

I’m interested in domestic success and breaking their domination, that’s it, so the reality is we’ve blown it the same way we blew it last season. That’s just the reality, it’s better face up to it than massage it or polish it up to look like something better than what it is.

I genuinely can’t believe where we are now from what we’ve seen in recent years. Last 16 against Leverkusen and I’m actually feeling a tad bit confident about it. :)):)):)):))

It’s been made worse by pathetic performances against Hearts, Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone over the course of a month and a half. I.e, a monumental collapse right when we were in a fantastic position to go into the business end of the season and really see what they’re made of. Saying anything else is dressing it up to make the situation appear better than it actually is.
You're catastrophising and doing Gerrard a huge disservice.

Hearts - we were pish but two goals from a slip and deflection (bad luck) cost us.
Aberdeen - tremendous 45 followed by a disappointing 30 mins and a horrendous refereeing decision when we should have had a penalty to make it 3-2 (probably have missed it though)
Kilmarnock - good start, they scored a goal that shouldn't have stood, we should have had a pen at 1-1 and Alfie's legitimate goal getting chopped off.
St Johnstone - again two defensive errors has cost us a win.

It's not as bad as you think. Fk their 9IAR - won 6 without us in the league and subjected to a 15 point deduction.

I genuinely can’t believe where we are now from what we’ve seen in recent years. Last 16 against Leverkusen and I’m actually feeling a tad bit confident about it. :)):)):)):))
Steady on mate, they're 5th in the Bundesliga, 6 points behind Bayern and just destroyed Porto 5-1 on aggregate.

This is a top outfit and the best side we'll have played in about 10 years.

You do that mate. I’ll chill when we’re able to stay in the title race beyond January. Until then I’ll stay highly critical of our team.
This is all about building blocks, its all about progress, its all about learning from mistakes and moving forward. Of course we are all frustrated/angry about what's happened since the winter break but rip it up and start again? not for the majority of us. The rational amongst us can see the direction we are heading

Last edited:

Good read mate and agree 100%, specially the last two lines.

You're catastrophising and doing Gerrard a huge disservice.

Hearts - we were pish but two goals from a slip and deflection (bad luck) cost us.
Aberdeen - tremndous 45 followed by a disappointing 30 mins and a horrendous refereeing decision when we should have had a penatly to make it 3-2 (probably have missed it though)
Kilmarnock - good start, they scored a goal that shouldn't have stood, we should have had a pen at 1-1 and Alfie's legitimate goal getting chopped off.
St Johnstone - again two defensive errors has cost us a win.

It's not as bad as you think. Fk their 9IAR - won 6 without us in the league and subjected to a 15 point deduction.

Bad mistakes and defensive errors, you say that like it isn’t part and parcel of football and like it isn’t the manager’s problem? Take St Johnstone, he leaves Katic on the park when he’s having one of the worst individual performances we’ve seen in a long time, that’s on Gerrard, the buck stops with him bud.

It’s a strange situation doing so well in Europe and having moments of immense pride mixed in with moments of real disgust, but the bottom line is one doesn’t cancel out the other for me personally. I realise thats not the case for everyone and for some a good run in Europe makes up for handing them another cushy title, but I don’t think you can blame anyone for not feeling that way.

As long as the poets and the media are calling for Gerrard to go, you know we are on the right track.

There will be bumps, but we are undoubtedly headed in the right direction.

This is all about building blocks, its all about progress, its all about learning from mistakes and moving forward. Of course we are all frustrated/angry about what's happened since the winter break but rip it up and start again? not for the majority of us. The rationale amongst us can see the direction we are heading

I agree with you. Now let’s look at it, 2 consecutive seasons neck and neck with Celtic at new year, two consecutive January/Feb capitulations resulting in us being over 10 points behind. Where’s the progress there?

Steady on mate, they're 5th in the Bundesliga, 6 points behind Bayern and just destroyed Porto 5-1 on aggregate.

This is a top outfit and the best side we'll have played in about 10 years.
What about the “ invincibles”??lol

Bad mistakes and defensive errors, you say that like it isn’t part and parcel of football and like it isn’t the manager’s problem? Take St Johnstone, he leaves Katic on the park when he’s having one of the worst individual performances we’ve seen in a long time, that’s on Gerrard, the buck stops with him bud.

It’s a strange situation doing so well in Europe and having moments of immense pride mixed in with moments of real disgust, but the bottom line is one doesn’t cancel out the other for me personally. I realise thats not the case for everyone and for some a good run in Europe makes up for handing them another cushy title, but I don’t think you can blame anyone for not feeling that way.
I just think you should relax a bit.

You can see we are making huge strides from 2018.

The evidence is all there in front of us. We are massively better than last season, problem is that Celtic have improved too but Lennon's 81% win rate is unsustainable (I hope) they are due a blip and hope we can capitalise.

I think if we've improved this much season to season, then think where we can be in 12-24 months.

I just think you should relax a bit.

You can see we are making huge strides from 2018.

The evidence is all there in front of us. We are massively better than last season, problem is that Celtic have improved too but Lennon's 81% win rate is unsustainable (I hope) they are due a blip and hope we can capitalise.

I think if we've improved this much season to season, then think where we can be in 12-24 months.

See my previous post about consecutive January capitulations after being neck and neck at the midway point

0cea5417-e0f8-405c-f3f1-08216346cbe7.png

I agree with you. Now let’s look at it, 2 consecutive seasons neck and neck with Celtic at new year, two consecutive January/Feb capitulations resulting in us being over 10 points behind. Where’s the progress there?
what round of Europa did we go out in last season? what round of league cup? Did we win at parkhead last season? I get your frustration and we wall want to get back to trophy winning ways yesterday but we need to be patient and recognise we are moving forward

See my previous post about consecutive January capitulations after being neck and neck at the midway point

You're flapping and ignoring all the previous points made about bad luck, refereeing decisions and the progress that's been made.

You're obvious just a torn-faced git so I will bid you farewell and hope you enjoy your high blood-pressure.

'twas a pleasure conversing with you.

what round of Europa did we go out in last season? what round of league cup? Did we win at parkhead last season? I get your frustration and we wall want to get back to trophy winning ways yesterday but we need to be patient and recognise we are moving forward

We’ve done better in the Europa, im not questioning that, and really what we’ve done in that competition is absolutely fantastic. As for the league cup, going out to Aberdeen last year was an outright embarrassment and a monumental cock up from the management team so I’m not going to give them too much credit for getting us past a weak and faltering Hearts team in this years semi, albeit it is progress, it’s really no less than we should expect.

The piggery win was brilliant and another step forward, but then that’s part of the issue isn’t it? We can go there and win yet we still threw it all away in such a short space of time because we can’t handle the expectation of needing to beat the lesser sides in the league (one of our own players just admitted this on live television). There’s overall progress, but it’s obviously not as much as many want to believe in terms of our domestic situation, at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is we shat our collective pants at the exact same time we did it last season, overcoming that particular hurdle was the big one, and they failed. Harsh reality.

You're flapping and ignoring all the previous points made about bad luck, refereeing decisions and the progress that's been made.

You're obvious just a torn-faced git so I will bid you farewell and hope you enjoy your high blood-pressure.

'twas a pleasure conversing with you.

And you’ve decided to gloss over the most important issue where we fall apart at the midway point again. We’ve been conned with some horrendous refereeing no doubt, but “bad luck and individual mistakes”. Head in the sand crap.

Happy wanking over second place. How standards have fallen.

How many of these repetitive threads do attention-seekers need?
Is it just it just to get their post-count up?

We’ve done better in the Europa, im not questioning that, and really what we’ve done in that competition is absolutely fantastic. As for the league cup, going out to Aberdeen last year was an outright embarrassment and a monumental cock up from the management team so I’m not going to give them too much credit for getting us past a weak and faltering Hearts team in this years semi, albeit it is progress, it’s really no less than we should expect.

The piggery win was brilliant and another step forward, but then that’s part of the issue isn’t it? We can go there and win yet we still threw it all away in such a short space of time because we can’t handle the expectation of needing to beat the lesser sides in the league (one of our own players just admitted this on live television). There’s overall progress, but it’s obviously not as much as many want to believe in terms of our domestic situation, at the end of the day the only thing that really matters is we shat our collective pants at the exact same time we did it last season, overcoming that particular hurdle was the big one, and they failed. Harsh reality.

Keep the faith mate, I too would have liked the progress to have come much quicker but remember where we have been and who was in charge of the club(Crooks, con-men, chancers and asset strippers) and the team before Stevie Gerrard came in. Just think after Pedro left we might have had McInnes o_O

W.A.T.P.

We are in the last 16 of a major European competition where many big names have already exited. We are a few players short of winning our own league and I for what it’s worth firmly believe in our Gaffer to rectify that.

Sorry but Europe has never been the issue in terms of SG, it is the fact that we have a team more than capable of beating and becoming the best in the country but due to SG’s entrenched adherence to 4-3-3 we are failing in the most important competition.

When we deploy that system against teams who come to play a reasonably open game we look an excellent side in the 4-3-3 set up. But it is clear that the diddy teams and their managers have worked out that if they sit deep, brutalise us, break the game up with bitty fouls and take their limited chances they can frustrate the hell out of us.

We really should just be going all out in such games, show zero respect and attack them with much greater speed and penetration. The slow, laborious, make the ball a prisoner approach is killing us! Our players are more than capable of changing this dynamic if the manager makes the requisite tweak to the system.

Keep the faith mate, I too would have liked the progress to have come much quicker but remember where we have been and who was in charge of the club and the team before Stevie Gerrard came in. Just think after Pedro left we might have had McInnes o_O

W.A.T.P.

I get what you’re saying bud but we’re way past the point of using “look at where we’ve come from” as a coping mechanism. We’ve invested a lot in this squad now. Of course I’m going to trust Gerrard and co will finally resolve this next season, I have to really and surely to feck they’ve got to get it right eventually. But for now, I find it really difficult not to be frustrated knowing we can beat them and sides much better than them, but just can’t show the correct mentality when put up against dross managed by the likes of Derek McInnes and Tommy Wright.

And you’ve decided to gloss over the most important issue where we fall apart at the midway point again. We’ve been conned with some horrendous refereeing no doubt, but “bad luck and individual mistakes”. Head in the sand crap.

Happy wanking over second place. How standards have fallen.
The most important issue is that we're going forward and getting better year on year and considering how far we were behind then, being logical and rational, means that the tables will turn sooner rather than later.

You need to chill out, Bro.

I don't think any one has ever said we have gone backwards under Gerrard this season - have they?

There was an interesting comment made by MearnsUnionist the other day in regards to the league and domestic football being our bread and butter - well, so far in 5/6 competitions, we haven't delivered (still in the Scottish Cup) and are trophy less. That's a concern.

Over the last two months we've seen a collapse, just like last season. Gerrard, Kent and Jack have all said it has simply not been good enough or acceptable for a club of our stature. It's February, we've been out a title race for weeks and find ourselves 12 points behind in the league.

Europe has never been a concern. It's been an excellent journey over two seasons where the manager and players have delivered what no one could have ever predicted. They have been praised and rightly so.

Some can't see criticism of Gerrard in any shape of form.

We've got a tough Last 16 agaisnt Bayer Leverkusen. Make a good account of ourselves and every one will be delighted, even if we don't progress. We've got to go on a winning run in the league and win the majority of our matches. The last realistic trophy of the season must be won - the Scottish Cup.

Trophy less for a second season under Gerrard whilst watching the bheggars lift a quadruple treble and questions will rightfully be asked.

I think it’s just a bit of desperation and denial over the opportunity we’ve thrown away in recent weeks.
I think we all feel the same; elated over Europe but totally scunnered over domestic capitulation.
So, why are threads started aimed at causing friction between bears? There must have been half a dozen, at least, this latest poster joined less than a week ago and has 60 posts to his name but he feels so strongly about criticism it he just has to stir the pot - again.
Stinks to me.

Last edited:
With all due respect mate, I’m not interested in gaining respect, what are we Celtic now where we need to loved and adored?

I’m interested in domestic success and breaking their domination, that’s it, so the reality is we’ve blown it the same way we blew it last season. That’s just the reality, it’s better face up to it than massage it or polish it up to look like something better than what it is.
Pretty sure we all crave domestic success and pretty confident it will come.
If the last 16 of a major competition is the alternative in the meantime I’ll take it all day long.
Also remember when we won our 9 titles we were told it was because of the cash we spent to achieve it and it wasn’t the same as when Celtic won it.
FFS we haven’t been in the top league for most of their run and they have had zero competition. When we first came back to the top league it was embarrassing some of the scores they ran up against us.
We are getting spoken about and recognition across Europe now because of our form and because we have a football icon as our manager.

I get what you’re saying bud but we’re way past the point of using “look at where we’ve come from” as a coping mechanism. We’ve invested a lot in this squad now. Of course I’m going to trust Gerrard and co will finally resolve this next season, I have to really and surely to feck they’ve got to get it right eventually. But for now, I find it really difficult not to be frustrated knowing we can beat them and sides much better than them, but just can’t show the correct mentality when put up against dross managed by the likes of Derek McInnes and Tommy Wright.

Don't misunderstand me mate, I am just as frustrated as you but I think that I'm most likely a good bit older than you and have experienced these frustrations a few times before and have learned not to let them drown me. We have had to battle the media, the authorities, and officials and given that then I can curb my impatience as when success returns it will be all the sweeter for that.

W.A.T.P.

I think we all feel the same; elated over Europe but totally scunnered over domestic capitulation.
So, why are threads started aimed at causing friction between bears? There must have been half a dozen, at least, this latest poster joined less than a week ago and has 60 posts to his name but he feels so strongly about criticisim it he just has to stir the pot - again.
Stinks to me.
Do you mean me mate?

This!

Only going all the way and winning the europa league tops winning #55 this year!

As it happens though, I’d swap everything right now to be 12pts clear in the league.

we were robbed of the league cup and our league position is being made worse than it is by the mentally challengeds incredible run.

we are making progress and Gerrard will win us the league.

The yahoos incredible run really does not wash with me.

If we had beaten the diddy teams instead of losing or drawing against them we would still be in pole position for the league.

Back