Not the most pressing issue - Tom Miller and the RTV commentary

Some right belters in this thread having a go at a fellow bear, 99% having probably never met him. Fúck going in the trenches with you lot if that's what you think of one of our own.

Some right belters in this thread having a go at a fellow bear, 99% having probably never met him. Fúck going in the trenches with you lot if that's what you think of one of our own.

Wait, just to clarify. Are you a fellow bear I've never met, having a go at fellow bears you've never met, for having a go at a fellow bear they've never met?

I think it's a vortex we've joined you in not a trench.

Can’t say I mind him really but I only half listen to the commentary anyway so he could be the worlds worst for all I know.

I think some folks need to remember RTV isn’t Sky or BBC. Although the tims get Tom on their Kodi app he isn’t supposed to be there. Maybe don’t cringe because some Celtic fan is poking fun at him with a clip on your Facebook page.

Tom is what every other in house commentator at every club. He is biased towards his own club, picked for the job because he is a fan and is commenting on the game more as a fan than a sports commentator.

I personally think Tom is great, funny, informative, knowledgeable and completely biased towards Rangers

I absolutely despise his commentary and it's got nothing to do with wanting to moan at someone due to our poor form at the moment before anyone starts on me.

Would've had him gone for someone more professional a long time ago if it was down to me. Guys like KT, Little, Stevie Smith are far more enjoyable to listen to whenever they're on RTV.

I'm sure we'd get by without having to resort to "Craigan and Michael Stewart" as some people seem to think is the alternative if we sacked Tom Miller.

It seems you are confusing the roles of the commentator and the summariser mate. Completely different roles.

I think it's already mentioned but why do people keep saying they like him rather than the alternative - a "boring, professional, non-rangers fan with no knowledge of the club" or Crocker etc. Surely there must be an enthusiastic, knowledgeable, professional Rangers fan as an option somewhere?

That’s precisely what Tom is though.:rolleyes:

Reactions: GF7
Ye don’t like Tom Millar? Don’t listen to him.

Away and soak up bile and venom from Crocker, Walker, Sutton, Hartson, Boyd, Craigan etc.

Wi Tom you get what you see - a Rangers supporter.

I really dont understand why stuff like this, or any other commentator, annoys people. Unless your TV or whichever device you are watching on can't be turned down for some reason, then there is a simple solution.

Away and soak up bile and venom from Crocker, Walker, Sutton, Hartson, Boyd, Craigan etc.

seriously mate, do you think that's the choice? Tom or a Rangers hating prick, with nothing in between? You think we can't find someone who doesn't have brutal patter, gets numerous things wrong in most games and supports Rangers?

And as for those saying "just mute him". I'd like to hear the noise of the game. If there was a "crowd noise only" option on RTV, I'd jump at it.

I really dont understand why stuff like this, or any other commentator, annoys people. Unless your TV or whichever device you are watching on can't be turned down for some reason, then there is a simple solution.

I watch at a supporters club and I don't get to control the volume sadly. :(:))

Did you read the thread? Plenty have said that Tom is preferable to the haters you mention, but that doesn't make him good enough.

It doesn't have to be either Tom Miller or a bunch of haters. There are other options. :rolleyes:

Much better since DJ was removed from co commentating. The two of them were really brutal together. I'd never visit the Temple Bar in Jersey just out of principal. But he is rubbish there is no getting away from it. Can't even do the basics of keeping you informed let alone provide any insight into the flow or tactics of the game

You'd think as club commentator he might have a few wee anecdotes from behind the scenes but nothing. Can't help thinking the free mentions of certain bars is his way of ensuring free drinks as well

It seems you are confusing the roles of the commentator and the summariser mate. Completely different roles.

Not confusing them he's just not someone I enjoy listening to one bit.

Don't see why the club can't offer a way to watch with just the stadium & crowd noise as you'd hear if you were at the game. That would be ideal as I still enjoy hearing the atmosphere & don't want to watch on mute. Surely would be a simple thing for them to do.

It’s not embarrassing, he’s a rangers man and does a decent enough job.

I do find some of his phrases get on my tits though. About 3 times a game he says the ball “pitches awkwardly” when it’s just bouncing...

Harsh to the extreme. The guy is anything but an embarrassment. Not many people love Rangers as much as Tom does. He's a fan, a proper Rangers fan.

Some of his patter is a bit mental but I find it part of the charm. I'd rather listen to someone like him with a load of passion for Rangers than someone who is just a regular football commentator.

I also don't mind what ex-players they get on. Some of these people aren't quite made for commentating but they're in most cases true Rangers men that have done masses for our club. Andy Little and Steven Smith are probably the best but I love having Lovenkrands on as well. Durranty can waffle a bit but in all honesty I am on there to watch the game - I'll take in the commentary whoever is doing it.

Tom Miller, the guy is an embarrassment, his commentary on Rangers TV is so difficult to listen to. His co commentators typically are great, Little, Thompson, Smith etc I find are a good listen whereas Tom for me is brutal. His attempts at one liners, quotes, speeches and anecdotes leave us open to criticism and mocking constantly, his speech after the win at their midden in December for example he was singling out their players and talking as thought the league was won - fast forward 2 months and look at us. As I said, by no means the most pressing issue we have at the minute, but for me he cheapens the coverage on RTV, am I alone in this or does anyone else find him pretty insufferable?

Opposite for me mate.

I love coming back from a game we've won and then re-watching the game on RTV and hearing how Tom describes it.

His commentary from the piggery 29th December and his account of the last half hour from the Braga game were brilliant.

When I left Parkhead after that game, I felt exactly the same as Tom.

He's a true Gers man with extensive knowledge of our history, with a wee bit of patter thrown in, so he's anything but an embarrassment for me.

What is embarrassing is the amount of clueless dykes getting shoehorned into positions on BBC and Sky to keep the meek little PC brigade happy.

Be careful what you wish for, I suggest.

So Celtic fans mock the RTV presenter & we’ve to be concerned & calhim an embarrassment to the club?

What an absolute bullshit thread.

If the players hadn’t shat the bed since coming back to work in January this thread wouldn’t exist.

What the %^*& could some West of Scotland papish basturd mock anyone about?

They are the dregs of society and scum of the earth.

I appreciate Tom’s a diehard Rangers man but his patter is absolutely honkin. A player gets hit in the lower abdomen and “he’s taken one in the bread basket “ or lunch basket. He comes away with something like that. It’s cringeworthy, I’ve never heard that expression before.

I appreciate Tom’s a diehard Rangers man but his patter is absolutely honkin. A player gets hit in the lower abdomen and “he’s taken one in the bread basket “ or lunch basket. He comes away with something like that. It’s cringeworthy, I’ve never heard that expression before.

Really? I must admit when I saw your post I assumed you were a youngster but I find it surprising someone in their 40s has never heard that phrase. Maybe says more about you than Tom.

Has the most tenuous facts. Love when he comes out with the "the first hatrick scored against Hibs on a tuesday since 1957" stuff.

Tom Miller, the guy is an embarrassment, his commentary on Rangers TV is so difficult to listen to. His co commentators typically are great, Little, Thompson, Smith etc I find are a good listen whereas Tom for me is brutal. His attempts at one liners, quotes, speeches and anecdotes leave us open to criticism and mocking constantly, his speech after the win at their midden in December for example he was singling out their players and talking as thought the league was won - fast forward 2 months and look at us. As I said, by no means the most pressing issue we have at the minute, but for me he cheapens the coverage on RTV, am I alone in this or does anyone else find him pretty insufferable?
Don't blame it on Tom that our players then went on to make are arse of things. They made a fool out of him not himself.

Shocking criticism. Tom keeps everyone all over the world up to date with what's happening with Rangers. Overseas supporters love the patter. He's not just there to commentate on the game. If you dont like it, just turn over and listen to the Rangers haters.

Tom has gotten considerably better over the last 3-4 years.

A club TV channel isn't going to get an outstanding broadcaster and I think Tom is certainly good enough for the role.

The addition of guys like KT and Little has made the product much better too.

No complaints from me.

Opposite for me mate.

I love coming back from a game we've won and then re-watching the game on RTV and hearing how Tom describes it.

His commentary from the piggery 29th December and his account of the last half hour from the Braga game were brilliant.

When I left Parkhead after that game, I felt exactly the same as Tom.

He's a true Gers man with extensive knowledge of our history, with a wee bit of patter thrown in, so he's anything but an embarrassment for me.

What is embarrassing is the amount of clueless dykes getting shoehorned into positions on BBC and Sky to keep the meek little PC brigade happy.

Be careful what you wish for, I suggest.
All about opinions mate, I’d just prefer some of our past players, managers, staff given a run - Tom’s just not my cup of tea and talking with other people it seems he does divide opinion, must be better options in the “Rangers Family” as (for me) his commentary is amateur at a push and typically very poor.

What a lot of people don’t realise is it’s not a case of Tom or Sutton, there must be better options is the point I’ve been trying to make

All about opinions mate, I’d just prefer some of our past players, managers, staff given a run - Tom’s just not my cup of tea and talking with other people it seems he does divide opinion, must be better options in the “Rangers Family” as (for me) his commentary is amateur at a push and typically very poor.

What a lot of people don’t realise is it’s not a case of Tom or Sutton, there must be better options is the point I’ve been trying to make

As you say mate, opinions.

Tom’s not the best, but it’s club TV and you get what you pay for and who is available to cover the gig. Wouldn’t mind a wee cameo from Archie now and again.

I think he's fine, tells it like it is with the right amount of bias. I think Andy Little is an excellent pundit.

Again mate, you are confusing commentating with summarising. Loads of former players and managers do the latter but I can't think of a single one that is a commentator. Its an entirely different skillset and not as easy as some on here seem to think.

I rarely watch the channel now, as that wee guy drives me nuts, and of late Andy Little is getting as bad, with his negative comments.
Were better sticking with Stevie Smith or Ian Ferguson They at least know what there talking about.Give it a rest Tam, and concentrate on the game more, instead of gibbering o lot of nonsense.

Again mate, you are confusing commentating with summarising. Loads of former players and managers do the latter but I can't think of a single one that is a commentator. Its an entirely different skillset and not as easy as some on here seem to think.
You could be right about the skill set being different, I’m not a commentator and I don’t doubt that it takes some skill, but from a fans point of view and a subscriber to RTV it does feel as though it’s lacking in quality, there’s clearly a place for Tom at the club because he’s a likeable guy according to some, just my opinion or point of view that there’s room for improvement

Back