Not the most pressing issue - Tom Miller and the RTV commentary

You could be right about the skill set being different, I’m not a commentator and I don’t doubt that it takes some skill, but from a fans point of view and a subscriber to RTV it does feel as though it’s lacking in quality, there’s clearly a place for Tom at the club because he’s a likeable guy according to some, just my opinion or point of view that there’s room for improvement

As I've said, personally I don't mind Tom at all but he's clearly not everyone's cup of tea (this is FF after all, NOBODY is going to meet with overall approval - we just don't do that sort of thing). If we can replace him with 'better' - and we'd all have different definitions of what represents 'better' - then all good and well. However, every name you've put forward over a number of posts is an ex-player or manager. Those guys are summarisers, not commentators. That's all I'm pointing out.

I've heard at least two guys stand in for Tom on RangersTV. Neither was 'bad' in my eyes, they were competent enough, but it was bland and uninspiring in comparison.

Again mate, you are confusing commentating with summarising. Loads of former players and managers do the latter but I can't think of a single one that is a commentator. Its an entirely different skillset and not as easy as some on here seem to think.

To me TM is undoubtedly an 'oldtime' radio commentator who can't get out of that groove. One fact we might be missing too is the simultaneous RTV radio broadcast now offered to bears as an alternative to video.
A little more of the play by play and less flannel & leaving the technical summaries to Little, Thomson & Lovenkrands would suit most in my opinion.
( forgot Ian Ferguson)

Imagine Rangers TV being particularly pro Rangers.
To me TM is undoubtedly an 'oldtime' radio commentator who can't get out of that groove. One fact we might be missing too is the simultaneous RTV radio broadcast now offered to bears as an alternative to video.
A little more of the play by play and less flannel & leaving the technical summaries to Little, Thomson & Lovenkrands would suit most in my opinion.
( forgot Ian Ferguson)

Its TV. The commentator doesn't need to be describing exactly what is happening on the screen in front of you.

Sure he’s a good guy is Tom but it’s truly awful listening to him. Luckily it’s not often i watch the games live on RTV

Imagine Rangers TV being particularly pro Rangers.

Its TV. The commentator doesn't need to be describing exactly what is happening on the screen in front of you.

I think the point being made was that the commentary on TV doubles as the audio only commentary. The 'air' needs to be filled with words for those choosing that option.

... and what about his radio audience ;)
Aren't those only a handful of games such as the EL and other games RTV don't have the rights to broadcast live?

I would expect (and could be wrong here) that all they are doing for those games are publishing the audio feed as Tom records the commentary which will be used over the as-live TV broadcast.

I think the point being made was that the commentary on TV doubles as the audio-only commentary. The 'air' needs to be filled with words for those choosing that option.

The audio-only (afaik) is only the EL games and will be repurposing the commentary being recorded for the as live TV broadcast.

No, the audio only option is available for ALL games and is simply the same commentary as the video commentary mate.

Well there's your answer. They wont record two sets of commentary and the bulk of those viewing will be using the TV feed (eithe live or later) rather than the audio-only. Tailor it to suit the majority rather than the minority.

TV comms walking you through every pass only serves to insult the audience's intelligence and treats them as though that are so stupid they can't comprehend the pictures in front of them.

like Tom - he is clearly one of us. Granted he sometimes get away from himself when somehting happens but any fan commentating on a game probabaly would aswell

Tom Miller, the guy is an embarrassment, his commentary on Rangers TV is so difficult to listen to. His co commentators typically are great, Little, Thompson, Smith etc I find are a good listen whereas Tom for me is brutal. His attempts at one liners, quotes, speeches and anecdotes leave us open to criticism and mocking constantly, his speech after the win at their midden in December for example he was singling out their players and talking as thought the league was won - fast forward 2 months and look at us. As I said, by no means the most pressing issue we have at the minute, but for me he cheapens the coverage on RTV, am I alone in this or does anyone else find him pretty insufferable?
It’s you ! Tom is great , knowledgeable and obviously a fan with a mike. Love the guy

I'm not stopping him. My point is that he does it too often, and it disrupts the commentary.
In what way does it 'disrupt' the commentary? Does he cut away from moments to wish folk happy birthday? Does he interrupt the co-comms to burst in with it? It's just a bit of fluff to keep the punters engaged.

In what way does it 'disrupt' the commentary? Does he cut away from moments to wish folk happy birthday? Does he interrupt the co-comms to burst in with it? It's just a bit of fluff to keep the punters engaged.
There is a limit to the amount of fluff which I find tolerable.

I like Tom,and he is quite funny,but finding myself muting the games for long stretches.Nice guy Little bores me to tears,always mute when he is on.

I appreciate Tom’s a diehard Rangers man but his patter is absolutely honkin. A player gets hit in the lower abdomen and “he’s taken one in the bread basket “ or lunch basket. He comes away with something like that. It’s cringeworthy, I’ve never heard that expression before.

It's only been in use for around 300 years.

Shocking criticism. Tom keeps everyone all over the world up to date with what's happening with Rangers. Overseas supporters love the patter. He's not just there to commentate on the game. If you dont like it, just turn over and listen to the Rangers haters.

Not all do.

Any why, again, does it have to be either Tom or the Rangers haters?

Why can't we have a diehard Rangers man who's also a good commentator?

I enjoy his commentary. Fans TV - for the fans, by the fans.

Plenty disagree and I can live with that. When Tom’s away we’ve had other commentators take the mic and they sound bland and dispassionate in comparison.

But it goes wider than that, which is what makes him even more cringeworthy.
Have a listen to any EPL club channel commentators - aren't theirs "for the fans"?. They actually sound professional and wouldn't be out of place in the mainstream - which is as it should be if you are a professionally run outfit.

Tom Miller, the guy is an embarrassment, his commentary on Rangers TV is so difficult to listen to. His co commentators typically are great, Little, Thompson, Smith etc I find are a good listen whereas Tom for me is brutal. His attempts at one liners, quotes, speeches and anecdotes leave us open to criticism and mocking constantly, his speech after the win at their midden in December for example he was singling out their players and talking as thought the league was won - fast forward 2 months and look at us. As I said, by no means the most pressing issue we have at the minute, but for me he cheapens the coverage on RTV, am I alone in this or does anyone else find him pretty insufferable?

When Rangers are playing on BT Sports I have a choice, watch on there or watch on Rangers TV. Rangers TV is the choice every single time.

Have a listen to any EPL club channel commentators - aren't theirs "for the fans"?. They actually sound professional and wouldn't be out of place in the mainstream - which is as it should be if you are a professionally run outfit.
and have lots of cash to spare...

Also worthwhile bearing in mind that the live service is meant for folk from abroad, for whom it's likely to be less annoying. I'm one of those folk, and don't mind when I hear the bagatelle patter and so on. I get to watch my team live whilst living in another country and the guests are usually pretty good.

Last edited:

Here's Liverpool TV.
Professional as %^*& continually referring to 'us', 'we' and joining in with the songs.

Okay own up, Who has been dishing out the grumpy pills? Get some of these into you.
bqzY7Wd.jpg

When Rangers are playing on BT Sports I have a choice, watch on there or watch on Rangers TV. Rangers TV is the choice every single time.
As it should be, doesn’t mean that the product RTV are putting out is fitting for a club of our size. As I’ve stated more than once now, it doesn’t have to be listening to Rangers haters or having to listen to Tom bloody Miller, there must be a better option out there has remained my point because the guy (for me) is brutal to listen to 90% of the time

seriously mate, do you think that's the choice? Tom or a Rangers hating prick, with nothing in between? You think we can't find someone who doesn't have brutal patter, gets numerous things wrong in most games and supports Rangers?

And as for those saying "just mute him". I'd like to hear the noise of the game. If there was a "crowd noise only" option on RTV, I'd jump at it.

I’m not trying to tell you that Tom Millar is the greatest commentator the world has seen but he’s not trying to be anything but what you see. A Bluenose.

Theres certainly no need to go around calling him an embarrassment or any other name calling.

He’s one of us.

Have to say I’ve never heard any of the EPL ones so you’ve got me there. I’ve heard the Dhims, Aberdeen and Motherwell. Tom is on a par with John Motson in comparison to them.

All about opinions mate, I’d just prefer some of our past players, managers, staff given a run - Tom’s just not my cup of tea and talking with other people it seems he does divide opinion, must be better options in the “Rangers Family” as (for me) his commentary is amateur at a push and typically very poor.

What a lot of people don’t realise is it’s not a case of Tom or Sutton, there must be better options is the point I’ve been trying to make
So you want to see a past player, manager or staff member actually commentate on the game ie replace Tom?

You keep saying there are better alternatives available but so far you haven’t named one

and have lots of cash to spare...

Also worthwhile bearing in mind that the live service is meant for folk from abroad, for whom it's likely to be less annoying. I'm one of those folk, and don't mind when I hear the bagatelle patter and so on. I get to watch my team live whilst living in another country and the guests are usually pretty good.

As am I, and I do.

Seems we’ve run out of threads slating the Manager, the Coaches and the Players. We even have a thread in the Groundstaff. Now we are on to Tom the Commentator. Who’s next? I’m sure I saw a scuff mark on the shoes of the Concierge at the Ibrox front door when I watched the Inside Ibrox from the Braga game. Someone needs to have a word with him.

the players aren’t clean shaven, sackable if you ask me

So you want to see a past player, manager or staff member actually commentate on the game ie replace Tom?

You keep saying there are better alternatives available but so far you haven’t named one
I’ve said “there must be” better alternatives, not claiming to have a knowledge of Rangers leaning commentators

My problem with rtv is the awful sound, stereo only and the crowd noise muted. Why this is done I don't know, flick over to the same game on bbc, sky, bt, Premier and its dolby digital with crowd noise at full

I don’t think there’s any club based commentators that are actually good. If they had even a reasonable amount of talent; they’d be off working for an actual broadcaster.

Back