Noticeable by it’s absence

On all discussions by Celtic fans there is virtually no reference to Rangers superior coaching and the difference that has made on the park.

When we beat them at Parkhead recently i was struck by the difference in size and quality of back room staff.

Being honest in nearly 50 years of watching Rangers I have only ever seen two periods of style that was not all about the individuals that were part of the team. The first was the immensely costly but brilliant Advocaat era and the second is this period under Gerrard.

It has taken time but it is clear that there has been a consistent training regime over these last few years in which the coaching staff themselves have gone through a learning curve with regards to Scottish football. The output is on the park for all to see and enjoy.

We could have had our “Ross County” moment when Hamilton turned us over at Ibrox last year when all hope was lost of lifting the title but we as fans didn’t. We certainly moaned and were upset but we recognised the progress under Gerrard and that extra bit of patience from us and quality from the Board and coaching team is being repaid on the park.

I find it interesting that there is so little mention or comparisons made between coaching teams when it is obvious to a blind man that is where the issues lie at Celtic.

I'm going to get jumped on here but the absolute majority of Rangers fans on here and the ones I knew in real life thought Gerrard should of been gone after Hamilton. We were absolutely shocking for a large period. Whilst you're correct if your point is we would never behave like animals after such a bad result, I think the Board is lucky they didn't have to make the decision due to the circumstances with COVID as he was almost certainly approaching the end if that form continued any longer than it did, in my opinion.

I'm now of the opinion I wouldn't get rid of Gerrard even if we won nothing this season, as it does seem like it's just a matter of time until this team achieves something great, whereas the second half of last season he looked fed up and out of ideas and the team was regressing; to come out of that is a testament to the man himself and the coaching staff.

I just need to look at our Captain to see what coaching can do.
They also have to use the desire and commitment obviously

I don't get the sudden need for praise from the mentally challengeds or anyone in the media who is celtic minded.

I've seen quite a few posters now who seem to be irritated by the lack credit we're getting from their bitter fans.

As far as I'm concerned the longer they ignore the improvements we've made and will continue to make the better.
I think we’ve had plenty credit from media. As far as mentally challengeds go it’s the mental gymnastics to avoid saying they’re raging we have a good system. They’re suddenly raging that Liewell hasn’t installed a manager with data analysis system and his own back room team. Proper recruitment system etc. This wasn’t a problem for them in August. Where have they seen this system work so well that they suddenly want it? It’s not at Rangers. No way.

Let them believe it’s all down to Lennon and his tactics. The facts are they’ve only lost one and drawn 2. If they win their games in hand they‘re 5 behind. They actually aren’t doing to bad points wise.
They have completely forgot about that team in Blue who look miles ahead of them in all areas of the pitch.

We keep going and doing our thing and they need to beat us, the way we’re playing they’re doesn’t look like many teams will score far less take points of us.
Completely agree with this. They are so inward looking they refuse to believe we could be overtaking them in terms of quality and strength. I think it’s a combination of denial about us and hope they can still win the league. Long may their short sightedness continue, and we keep doing what we have been.

Unbeaten against all European opposition in inaugural champions league appearance, including home and away victories against the champions of England - we seemed pretty well coached that season!
Of course we have had many highs in the last 50 years but that is different to the type of structured well drilled regime we are watching now.
I am not knocking any of our teams of the past for instance one of my favourite periods was Walter galvanising a small group of players to bring us 3 titles in a row.

Celtic fans just think they're going through a bad patch and that we are shite. Not only that, but some of them genuinely believe we're going into administration again in the near future - some actually think this season.

It’s hard at the moment not to feel that we are running away with the league even this early on but so many points and games yet to be won so a word of caution that they have the ability (albeit very unlikely with their form at the moment) to go on a winning run of games in the league against the dross and the annual reaming of the sheep. I think only ourselves and the spoonburners genuinely look to win games against them which is bizarre this season as their defence is possibly the worst they have had in a long long time.

We are in fantastic form and just need to match them points wise until our next game against them. If we win that Lennon will be gone, we’ll be well clear and odds on favourites to lift 55 !

Our form in Jan/Feb will be key!

They are gradually being forced into accepting our coaching set up is better and that our tactical structure or training is superior. Results against them and in Europe bear that out. They've been able to pretend it's irrelevant until recently because we've always bottled it when it mattered.

They are still very reluctant to accept that our squad is better. Or even improved in any sense for that matter. I can kind of understand that, it's pure unbridled tribalism. We trump them in quite a few areas comparatively now. Yet they don't want to acknowledge it and would rather pretend our players are pish. They still have a very good group of players, but the penny hasn't dropped that the best ones for them, all wanted to leave them in the summer.

I hope that they persist with this mindset. A lot of their support and a fair chunk of the press are still living in 2016 - 2017. To be honest a lot of their domestic opponents until recently have acted that way as well. It's why they've been able to cleansweep their way to the cusp of a quadruple treble. All empires fall eventually, they've sleepwalked into this mess and are baffled by it. It's going to make 55 all the sweeter for me.

If it has been an empire it has been built on illegal gains and embargoes against us. it has been built upon the collective weakness and will of other clubs to challenge them off the park, far less on it.

If it has been an empire it has been based on corruption.

You look at this recent farce between the 'empire' and Hibs and this rescheduled league match next month.

The filth want a scheduled match rescheduled? You've got it.

When do these clubs wake up to the fact they are here to make up the numbers and nothing more?

On all discussions by Celtic fans there is virtually no reference to Rangers superior coaching and the difference that has made on the park.

When we beat them at Parkhead recently i was struck by the difference in size and quality of back room staff.

Being honest in nearly 50 years of watching Rangers I have only ever seen two periods of style that was not all about the individuals that were part of the team. The first was the immensely costly but brilliant Advocaat era and the second is this period under Gerrard.

It has taken time but it is clear that there has been a consistent training regime over these last few years in which the coaching staff themselves have gone through a learning curve with regards to Scottish football. The output is on the park for all to see and enjoy.

We could have had our “Ross County” moment when Hamilton turned us over at Ibrox last year when all hope was lost of lifting the title but we as fans didn’t. We certainly moaned and were upset but we recognised the progress under Gerrard and that extra bit of patience from us and quality from the Board and coaching team is being repaid on the park.

I find it interesting that there is so little mention or comparisons made between coaching teams when it is obvious to a blind man that is where the issues lie at Celtic.
All hope was lost for the title? I'll have what you're having. They knew we were coming that's why they were so desperate to call it.

I'm going to get jumped on here but the absolute majority of Rangers fans on here and the ones I knew in real life thought Gerrard should of been gone after Hamilton. We were absolutely shocking for a large period. Whilst you're correct if your point is we would never behave like animals after such a bad result, I think the Board is lucky they didn't have to make the decision due to the circumstances with COVID as he was almost certainly approaching the end if that form continued any longer than it did, in my opinion.

I'm now of the opinion I wouldn't get rid of Gerrard even if we won nothing this season, as it does seem like it's just a matter of time until this team achieves something great, whereas the second half of last season he looked fed up and out of ideas and the team was regressing; to come out of that is a testament to the man himself and the coaching staff.
I never actually wanted the Board to remove him but I thought the night we lost at Tynecastle that it was done. He seemed fed up and it was then obvious we weren’t going to win a trophy again. We were in a rut but a combination of COVID and the passage of time has changed our fortunes. I’m so glad that the Board didn’t make a rash decision in March as we would almost definitely be worse off now having paid off the management team and appointed a new one in the COVID era

They can't seem to admit that they have had to downsize to stay financially viable.

The reason they are sh!t at the back is because they have sold Tierney and lustig, and not replaced them with quality, same with the keeper, they can keep changing formations but they just dont have a strong squad. We have been slowly but surely building.

There only realistic hope for them is blowing the bank in January, but I don't think they will as they can't see the real problem.. it's great!

Let them believe it’s all down to Lennon and his tactics. The facts are they’ve only lost one and drawn 2. If they win their games in hand they‘re 5 behind. They actually aren’t doing to bad points wise.
They have completely forgot about that team in Blue who look miles ahead of them in all areas of the pitch.

We keep going and doing our thing and they need to beat us, the way we’re playing they’re doesn’t look like many teams will score far less take points of us.
Unless St Johnstone pump them at the weekend :)

The manager, coaching staff and players deserve huge credit. They've identified clear development points in the team and worked hard to address them. This also stymies the idea that an upturn in how referees treat us has been the reason for our improvement.

Unbeaten against all European opposition in inaugural champions league appearance, including home and away victories against the champions of England - we seemed pretty well coached that season!

Add in the fact we were hamstrung by only being able to field 3 non Scots and it makes it even more impressive.

Said to one of the Tims in work yesterday that I saw on STV news a clip of them "Training" around August time. It was amateurish to say the least. You would have thought they were at Barrowfield in the 90's.

I am proud that we have Auchenhowie and that at long last with Dave King's vision and Steven Gerrard and his staff maximising it to the full potential.

A previous poster stated it and I agree. I've been following Rangers since 1967 and to be quite honest only Advocaat and Gerrard had/have well coached sides. Davie White may have come into that category given time.
It's no coincidence that our best European performances have come under Dick and SG, that's the arena where good coaching and tactical awareness are vital, simply because you face well coached sides there, whereas in Scotland there is a paucity of good coaches.

Coaching in Scotland seems to consist of 10 men behind the ball and hope for the best.
I will never forget Graeme Souness frustration after a bad result in Europe. He basically said, "You need to have 2 teams in Scotland. One to play in Europe and the other in the league".

He found out that the style in Scottish Football hinders decent progress in Europe.

McLaughlin

Patterson
Balogun
Katic
Bassey

Hagi
Barker
Zungu
Davis
Itten

Defoe

You could debate some of the names, but that's what I'd say is our second XI.

I don't think the filth would beat that team.

Its Stevie G, end off. He can spot a fraud before he gets his boots laced. He did the same as Liverpool capt. He insisted the potential signings trained with them for a couple of days then gave the management a yes or no as to whether they were there for the pay or the Jersey. He and his training staff have hardly put a foot wrong since they came in. They've cleared out the hangers-on and set a standard for all the rest to achieve.

Walter Smith’s most recent spell was about as far detached from ‘all about individuals’ as you could possibly imagine.

Last edited:
As someone posted a few days ago. We don’t pretend to be a big forward thinking club anymore. We act like one now

Praise from that shower, no thanks, we just carry on doing what we are doing and let them think we are above them because of a loss of form on their part.

Said to one of the Tims in work yesterday that I saw on STV news a clip of them "Training" around August time. It was amateurish to say the least. You would have thought they were at Barrowfield in the 90's.

I am proud that we have Auchenhowie and that at long last with Dave King's vision and Steven Gerrard and his staff maximising it to the full potential.

Their current situation genuinely reminds me of when we were in the lower leagues and you'd hear stories about the training just being a bit of a carry on and quite unprofessional.

Even their performances remind me of us under Warburton & Pedro. Possession without having the quality to break teams down. Then looking totally bereft of confidence when the other team scores.

Back