Novo signs for Corkerhill over 35s

Davie Weir

Rangers hero Nacho Novo will be pulling on his boots again - after signing for Corkerhill over-35s in Glasgow.

The Spaniard hung up his boots in 2017 after a final season with Glentoran, and has been a regular in the Rangers legends team since.

While playing for the side in a masters tournament in 2018 he suffered a heart attack, and was taken to a Berlin hospital for emergency surgery.

Thankfully the former Dundee striker made a full recovery, and it's now been announced that he's signed for Corkerhill over-35s.

The Central Regions Premier League side announced his signing on Thursday, stating that he'd agreed to join last week but had been unable to play due to other commitments.

Novo featured for the Rangers legends XI in
their defeat to Liverpool on Saturday.

The 40-year-old first came to Scotland in 2001 when he joined Raith Rovers from Spanish side Huesca.

Having scored 22 goals in 38 games, Novo earned a move to Dundee for a reported £100,000.

He spent two seasons on Tayside, scoring 34 times in 87 games before moving to Rangers for £450,000.

At Ibrox Novo won three SPL titles, two League Cups and the Scottish Cup, and was also part of the side which reached the UEFA Cup final in 2008.

It was the Spaniard who scored the winning penalty in the semi-final shootout with Fiorentina to reach the final in Manchester.

I can't understand why he would want to play at that level.
Surely he can't miss the dressing room banter that much?

Why does anyone play amateur football mate? Same thing for everyone no?
Not really, the difference is he's played the game professionally at a very high level, so to go down to this level is a bit baffling.
Like eating filet mignon all your life and then switching to Findus crispy pancakes.
There will be guys who will just boot him to bits.

my mate plays for them. Decent team who knock the ball about. League set up very strict and people play for the love of the game.
TBH I don't expect much abuse on the park just dafties who may come down to watch.

Not really, the difference is he's played the game professionally at a very high level, so to go down to this level is a bit baffling.
Like eating filet mignon all your life and then switching to Findus crispy pancakes.

There is no difference. It's over 35s. There are loads of pros doing it including guys like Ian Maxwell from the SFA. Lots of guys playing amateur have played Pro or high level junior and now just like getting a kick about with their mates- the same as almost every amateur player out there. Why shouldn't Novo get a kickabout just because he used to be better than everyone else on the park?

There is no difference. It's over 35s. There are loads of pros doing it including guys like Ian Maxwell from the SFA. Lots of guys playing amateur have played Pro or high level junior and now just like getting a kick about with their mates- the same as almost every amateur player out there. Why shouldn't Novo get a kickabout just because he used to be better than everyone else on the park?
Will Ian Maxwell get constantly abused by neds from the sidelines?
The whole thing is an accident waiting to happen.

Will Ian Maxwell get constantly abused by neds from the sidelines?
The whole thing is an accident waiting to happen.

It's admiral that you're looking out for him mate but I'm sure Novo knows what his life is like and, at 40, can decide whether the lure of a game of football is worth the potential abuse.

It's not like he stays in the house everyday with no opportunities for anyone to shout at him.

He can't play at the level he once did though. Why do tennis players go on the senior circuit? I don't think it's a good idea but if he fancies it fair enough.

He's 40 years old. He enjoys playing football and doesn't want to give it up while he's still fit enough to take part, but obviously isn't going to continue to play professionally - what is it you suggest he does?

So do other ex-pros, but they play fives in a friendly atmosphere with people they know and trust.
Loads of options out there to play football other than the one he's chosen.

Loads of ex pros still enjoy playing proper 11 a side football mate.

Ally played with Giffnock North old crocks for years, as did Alex O'Hara.

Most players in over age leagues play for the love of the game and aren't interested in kicking lumps out each other.

5s is a poor substitute compared to a decent 11 a side game.

The over 35s set up is excellent. I play on in Division 2A. Last year we played Aitkenhead Thistle in the league and came up agianst Paddy Connolly. The guy didn’t have the legs but you could see the ex-pro in his play. Hopefully get Corkerhill in the cup if we get by St Rochs this Friday night.

I play in the over 35’s. it’s a decent standard and it’s littered with old professionals and juniors. Games are played every 2 weeks usually on a Friday night. It’s played to a very competitive level with no quarter given.Being a centre half i would love to play against him!

I play in the over 35’s. it’s a decent standard and it’s littered with old professionals and juniors. Games are played every 2 weeks usually on a Friday night. It’s played to a very competitive level with no quarter given.Being a centre half i would love to play against him!
Who do you play for mate?

You'll get some 'Celtic da's' thinking they're funny by trying to snap him as soon as he gets near the ball.

Play for Claremont mate. Do you play?
Yes mate, for Park Sports Project, and formerly for Ashvale Vics (now defunct- most of the lads went to Young Boys of Patrick). Presidents Cup game tomorrow night against St Rochs, who won the league below us. Will be a tough one.

Laughed at this more than I should have Haha. Getting some funny looks in work.

So do other ex-pros, but they play fives in a friendly atmosphere with people they know and trust.
Loads of options out there to play football other than the one he's chosen.

At over 35s, Charlie Miller, Bob Malcolm, Jose Quitongo and many other ex-pros were regularly playing not so long ago.

He's 40 years old. He enjoys playing football and doesn't want to give it up while he's still fit enough to take part, but obviously isn't going to continue to play professionally - what is it you suggest he does?

Move back to Spain, go for a swim in the morning, have a Mediterranean lunch, play golf in the afternoon, come home and shag his missus, play fives on the beach with his mates at night, and then go for tapas.
Rinse and repeat.
No hassle and lots of sunshine.

To be honest, after watching that miss after Gerrard played him in on Saturday, it’s clear he needs to work on his finishing if he wants to cut it for the Legends :))

Loads of ex pros still enjoy playing proper 11 a side football mate.

Ally played with Giffnock North old crocks for years, as did Alex O'Hara.

Most players in over age leagues play for the love of the game and aren't interested in kicking lumps out each other.

5s is a poor substitute compared to a decent 11 a side game.
Ally has now let his media career take over from his football career.
Only plays occasionally now.
Chugger Ohara has gracefully retired.

Some very good players never made it to professional; I expect we all know of at least one player in school or who played at amateur level who we were convinced was going to make it but they never did. Many players at that level will be naturally good players. I like idea of football at older level aswell; for fitness and health alone it's a great idea.

Some very good players never made it to professional; I expect we all know of at least one player in school or who played at amateur level who we were convinced was going to make it but they never did. Many players at that level will be naturally good players. I like idea of football at older level aswell; for fitness and health alone it's a great idea.

I know plenty of guys who never made it who are easily better than some I know who did (and are currently playing at a good level).

Back