Now is the time for Rangers and their fans to rekindle their Scotland relationship

As a former Scotland fan went to Wembley many times it’s not me that’s moved away from Scotland it’s Scotland that has moved from me. I’m British first a unionist and I despise secessionists the new Scotland support is polluted with rabid nationalists and Rangers haters and that’s before we look at the current manager and the football authorities. Definitely not interested personally and I cannot wish them well.
no surrender

But it’s not a country Scottish government website states it clearly , world atlas states it clearly you can’t get much clearer than that
I’ve just shown you the definition of each which you’ve chosen to ignore.

https://www.gov.scot/about/what-the-government-does/

“The Scottish Government runs the country in relation to matters that are devolved from Westminster”

Look mate, acknowledging that Scotland is a country (but not a sovereign state) doesn’t make you any less of a Unionist, but whatever helps you sleep at night mucker.

The last time I really cared was Walter's short spell as the national coach. I do want to see our country on the big stage but like many others, I cannot get behind Steve Clarke, cheer a team with Leigh Griffiths and wouldn't attend a game with some of the absolute rockets that turn up. Such a shame because I still remember the 90s and enjoyed (mostly) watching us at Italia 90, Euro 96 and France 98.

Anyway, the author is right on one count. When Rangers win 55, it will eclipse any supporter reaction the Scotland team could ever get.

I’ve just shown you the definition of each which you’ve chosen to ignore.

https://www.gov.scot/about/what-the-government-does/

“The Scottish Government runs the country in relation to matters that are devolved from Westminster”

Look mate, acknowledging that Scotland is a country (but not a sovereign state) doesn’t make you any less of a Unionist, but whatever helps you sleep at night mucker.
Do a quick Google search - is Scotland a country the first thing you will see is a Scot gov artical - Scotland a nation - Scotland is a nation in the new state of United kingdom or sometving along those line clear its a NATION , also the 2nd article you will see is world atlas , so the actual world atlas witch defines countries ,telling you that Scotland only meats 2 out of 8 thing neededto be classed as a country

I think people should be free to choose to support Scotland or not and I respect their decision.

However,I don’t understand people who say they can’t support Scotland because Steve Clarke said ‘bye Rangers’ at his final game at Rugby Park - of course he’s going to say that as Kilmarnock manager as he was playing to the crowd! He would’ve said it regardless of who they were playing. This seems like a very convenient excuse for some imo!

Just look at what Ryan Jack has said about Clarke’s man management and approach and you’ll see that him playing International football makes him an even better player for Rangers. Same as Rangers’ players playing top teams in the Europa and hopefully the Champions League.

Personally, I support Rangers and Scotland and can’t wait for the Euros next summer.

Reactions: RTB
Do a quick Google search - is Scotland a country the first thing you will see is a Scot gov artical - Scotland a nation - Scotland is a nation in the new state of United kingdom or sometving along those line clear its a NATION , also the 2nd article you will see is world atlas , so the actual world atlas witch defines countries ,telling you that Scotland only meats 2 out of 8 thing neededto be classed as a country

You’re having a mare here mate :))

The link you’ve helpfully provided states it can fall on either side of the argument and that it only meets 2 of the 8 criteria of an INDEPENDENT nation.

Time to throw in the towel my man.

They can f.uck right off. I hate everything about them. From their organisation figureheads, to their management team, to their fanbase, to their nationalist propaganda.

It's a no from me.

They can f.uck right off. I hate everything about them. From their organisation figureheads, to their management team, to their fanbase, to their nationalist propaganda.

It's a no from me.
Do you watch any International games? What about the Euros next year even if it’s for the Rangers players?

Likely Borna up against Jack at Hampden

If the SFA are serious about it they will change our ghastly national anthem. FoS only encourages yesser loon balls.
I feel absolutely nothing for Scotland, and I couldn't say what it would take to rekindle any positive feelings towards them.
This 100%.

Flower of Scotland never has been and never will be our anthem. Scotland the Brace was always a rousing anthem back in the day and it should be restored before games.

I despise FoS.

I still wouldn’t support the team but it would make the atmosphere less toxic.

Admittedly I was pleased when they qualified last week and it’s hard to completely let go of supporting Scotland.

when I was at that age of say 6-14 where I couldnt get enough football via playing or watching it through Rangers or the national team, heroes of mine like Richard Gough and Super Ally etc were playing for the national team, we were also qualifying for major tournaments.

nowadays I don’t feel the connection there was in the past but I’ll support them and particularly Ryan Jack and John McLaughlin when they are involved.

Scotland isn’t a country. Wow, just wow. :)) :)) :)) o_Oo_Oo_O
It’s a nation in the country of the United Kingdom my country is the U.K.
You’re having a mare here mate :))

The link you’ve helpfully provided states it can fall on either side of the argument and that it only meets 2 of the 8 criteria of an INDEPENDENT nation.

Time to throw in the towel my man.
Did you miss the part it has to fill all 8 to be classed as a country And we only fill 2 , you just missed that part out

There are eight accepted criteria that form the basis of whether a region is an independent nation or not. A country needs to fulfill all

Do you watch any International games? What about the Euros next year even if it’s for the Rangers players?

Likely Borna up against Jack at Hampden
I watched the 1st half of England v Iceland the other night then switched over to I'm a celebrity at half time. These Nations League / glorified friendlies / qualifiers do nothing for me. It's even worse now with no fans. I very rarely watch any of them no matter who's playing.

Strangely though I do love the big competitions when they come round and tend to watch most games. I still get a buzz for the Euros / World Cups but that's the football fan in me. I have no love whatsoever for any international team though, and especially not Scotland.

Its kinda like the golf where i only watch the majors, or tennis where i only ever watch Wimbledon. I like the big events and tend to get sucked in but I'm not interested enough to watch outside of these.

Did you miss the part it has to fill all 8 to be classed as a country And we only fill 2 , you just missed that part out

There are eight accepted criteria that form the basis of whether a region is an independent nation or not. A country needs to fulfill all
Also so if it Scotland is a country what is the U.K. ??

yeah good point about feeling unwelcome. there has been many times at Scotland games when chatting with fans and explaining who i support you get grief. I don't go for the fans though I go to support the Scotland team. The fans just make that difficult and sometimes unpleasant.

Lets be honest about it mate, many started to turn against us when we began bringing in half the England team in the eighties.
Very true mate. That would be the beginning of it. I think it peaked when big Dunc got jailed and went downhill fast after that.

I'm only saying this because I remember our pub, which was a rangers one, was still getting behind scotland at the wc in 1990, especially remember the sat night game against sweden.

Last edited:
Article in the Herald. Says it like it is really.

THE relationship between Rangers - or more specifically Rangers supporters - and the Scotland national team is a complex yet fascinating one.

It encompasses every aspect of life on and off the park as political opinions and club loyalties shape views and define behaviours when it comes to the support, or not, of the side that represent the country on the world stage.

At times it feels as though sections of the Rangers fanbase have never been more disillusioned or out of touch with Scotland and in many ways that disconnect is completely understandable. But, in a purely football and sporting sense, Scotland are good for Rangers and Rangers must be good for Scotland.

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his desire to see Scotland improve and succeed, and also of his delight at his players earning international recognition in recent times. The likes of Borna Barisic and Glen Kamara will be at the Euros next summer. That will raise their profile, but also that of Rangers and having players operating at the highest level can only further enhance the club's reputation. Gerrard has done so much on that front in a European sense and the more internationalists Rangers have the better. It is a shame, though, that there are not more players within Gerrard's ranks that can stake a claim to feature for Steve Clarke.

Going forward, and as the Ibrox squad evolves, that should be a consideration for Rangers and a club that has given so much to the national side over the years must once again be able to provide the backbone of the Scotland setup. Ryan Jack has become a mainstay of the side under Clarke in recent fixtures, but some Gers fans will only tune in to see if he plays well and emerges unscathed for his return to domestic and European duty.

The pride that Jack has in playing for his country is clear to see and it should be hoped that rubs off on those who dismiss Scotland duty. Rangers could certainly do with more like him and goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin. The lack of Rangers representation in the national squad over recent years may explain the apathy that some sections of the support have towards Scotland these days.

But more wide-ranging issues - such as the treatment their club received in 2012 and the Independence Referendum two years later - almost certainly have a significant part to play in the seeming shift away from the traditional backing that Gers fans once provided to the national side.

Last month, The Athletic carried out a survey of more than 8000 supporters to attempt to paint a picture of the relationship between Rangers fans and Scotland. There is no definitive answer to such a convoluted question, but it did at least offer an insight when it comes to the club versus country debate.

From a football viewpoint, it was no surprise to see that 68 per cent stated that their support for the national team had decreased since 2012. The feelings of anger and resentment from the fall-out of Rangers' financial collapse clearly still lingers in the minds of many and there is no desire to share a terrace or emotional connection with fans of clubs who wished them nothing but ill will eight years ago.

Indeed, 87 per cent of those that responded to The Athletic believed they would receive a negative reaction if they identified as a Rangers fan at a Scotland match. It is hard to conclude that figure would be as high for any other support in the country and while Rangers punters may dismiss it with the 'no-one likes us, we don't care' attitude, it is sad that fans feel they would be unwelcome at an event that is supposed to unite in the backing of a common, national cause.

While fans across the country revelled in Rangers' fight for survival and subsequent plights on their journey back, the Ibrox crowd remained admirably loyal and devoted to their club and their cause. Having come through what they have, the bond between fan and club is stronger than ever.

Many will have taken heart and pleasure from seeing Scotland end their wait to return to a major finals with victory over Serbia last week. But it will be nothing compared to the emotions when Rangers win their 55th league title. Scotland matters, but just not as much as Rangers, or as much as it does to fans of other clubs.

The team on the park is only part of the problem, though, and many will simply find it unpalatable to support Scotland for reasons other than football. When Scotland is divided politically, it is no surprise that the makeup of the fanbase is as well. While 55 per cent of those in the poll didn't think that being a Unionist was an important part of a Rangers fan's identity, 75 per cent believed that Nationalism was synonymous with the Scotland support.

It is too simplistic to say that the dual identity of being Scottish and British doesn't fit amongst the national support but views on Government and the Union will come into the thinking for some. Figures for ideology and voting preference in a referendum were broadly similar at around 65 per cent Unionist, 10 per cent Nationalist and a quarter neither.

In decades gone by, the Rangers support made up a huge percentage of the Tartan Army home and away and it would be healthy if the numbers were to swell once again. Scotland is as much theirs as it is anyone else's. But if it doesn't happen in the build-up to the European Championships, then it is hard to see how and when there will be a reconnection between Light and Dark Blue going forward.

Now is the time for Rangers to become prominent and lead the way for Scotland, both on and off the park, once again.
The manager was playing in Liverpool in 2012.

I was living in Glasgow.

The manager, any assistants, and every director on each and every board from here on in better get the message.

Fc_uk Scottish football and fc_uk the SFA.

Any Rangers player injured playing for this shower of rhats, should not be paid by the club.
When they start respecting rangers maybe but now no

Who gives a flying f**k about this on this post? I mean how is that strand of conversation really relevant to the OP?

Who gives a flying f**k about this on this post? I mean how is that strand of conversation really relevant to the OP?
Is it not what the full post is about how the independent referendum disconnected some fans from the national team and how I find it sad that 10 % of fans support the SNP?? Or are you reading a different thread to me

Jesus Christ this is like talking to a 4 year old.

It says a country needs to fulfil all 8 to be recognised as an independent nation. No one is arguing that Scotland is independent.

I note that you’ve dropped the argument about the ScotGov website since that was also nonsense.

You’re making an arse of yourself.

Just trying to make sure the bold James gets his facts straight. Don’t want to see a fellow Unionist make a fit of themselves if he was arguing his nonsense point with a separatist further down the line.

Jesus Christ this is like talking to a 4 year old.

It says a country needs to fulfil all 8 to be recognised as an independent nation. No one is arguing that Scotland is independent.

I note that you’ve dropped the argument about the ScotGov website since that was also nonsense.

You’re making an arse of yourself.
I told you to a quick Google search is Scotland a country and what come up ?? Scotland the nation ?? You never answered it you dropped it t, do it and come back and tell me what you get ? If you get nation do you then knows there a difference between a country and a nation

I told you to a quick Google search is Scotland a country and what come up ?? Scotland the nation ?? You never answered it you dropped it t, do it and come back and tell me what you get ? If you get nation do you then knows there a difference between a country and a nation
You do realise that the terms country and nation aren’t mutually exclusive? Look up the definition of the word country before you keep making a fool of yourself.

You do realise that the terms country and nation aren’t mutually exclusive? Look up the definition of the word country before you keep making a fool of yourself.
This is painful.

I do admire your persistence in your endeavours to educate fellow supporters.

:D

Weird headline and article. Kind of makes a statement that we should do something, then gives a whole article-worth of reasons why we don't and not really any depth of justification for why it should change other than "just because"...

It certainly hasn't made me feel any change of heart in my apathy for the whole thing.

a country is a group of people governed by a government, which is the final authority over those people. ... A nation refers to a group of people bound together by common language, identity, ethnicity, history etc

Explains it perfectly the United Kingdom country governs Scotland the nation

I’ve been to 2 Scotland games in my life, once against Lithuania when I was about 10 and it was £1 to get in and once against Belgium because I fancied seeing some of the Belgian team in action. Despite that I will still support them and won’t be be made feel uncomfortable doing so by tartan army wanks and nationalists. %^*& them.

The UK is sovereign state consisting of 4 countries. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
You are arguing semantics of international law. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland aren't sovereign countries in International law, but they are still countries. FFS man.

giphy.gif

a country is a group of people governed by a government, which is the final authority over those people. ... A nation refers to a group of people bound together by common language, identity, ethnicity, history etc

Explains it perfectly the United Kingdom country governs Scotland the nation
Just shut up and stop digging mate

The UK is sovereign state consisting of 4 countries. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
You are arguing semantics of international law. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland aren't sovereign countries in International law, but they are still countries. FFS man.
Yes but is the UK a country or do we need to wait until Brexit is fully concluded before we can regain that title?

Surely up to that point we are merely a Nation - which is, as we all know, totally different from the term Country ;)

Very true mate. That would be the beginning of it. I think it peaked when big Dunc got jailed and went downhill fast after that.

I'm only saying this because I remember our pub, which was a Rangers one, was still getting behind scotland at the wc in the 1990, especially remember the sat night game against sweden.

I was still a kid back then when these guys came in, but I remember the 'English Rangers' shite that used to get put about. Mainly from the filth mind you, who had a fecking cheek.

No sir, I can’t boogie.

Not for me I am afraid.

Many Scotland fans don’t appear to take too kindly to our players turning out for the national team, so they can do one, as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:
country
/ˈkʌntri/
noun
  1. 1.
    a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory
Who are we governed by the U.K. government ?? 1 of 8 reasons we are not a country

you sure your a unionist ? Next Palestine and Catalan will countries because they have they govern themselves

Last edited:
I was happy enough for Scotland last week, now that the real football is back I'll likely not give them a second thought till the Euro's start.

I'd rather Rangers beat Falkirk next week than Scotland win the whole Euro's.

Scotland do not come anywhere near my support for Rangers.

Back