Now is the time for Rangers and their fans to rekindle their Scotland relationship

I’m emotionless to international football, not arsed who wins or loses.

I think as a whole we could all be less petty on things which would lead to less angst and division. Don’t need to troll everything on social media about the national team.

‘If you’ve nothing good to say, don’t say it’ for me going forward.

In the 20th Century I loved Scotland. In the 21st Century I hate what it has become.

I still love the hills and glens, support our regiments, still support the rugby team and even right down to folk from Scotland competing on quiz shows!

However, I hate the fact that a rabble of Nationalists have been governing a Unionist country, and it has rubbed off big time in the footballing world.

I feel like a minority in my own nation now, something my parents and grandparents never were. The creep towards the precipice of separation seems inevitable but if it happens I will never allow myself or my family to be separate. We will remain British.

I will never hate England, and I love the way Northern Ireland have been an example to us. I do want Scotland to win but then that good feeling is tempered by the feeling that it could be stoking the flames of Separatism.

We need to either integrate back into support of Scotland or separate ourselves into an influential bloc. I believe in one Football Association for the UK and one league system, with the SFA for amateur football.

Who are we governed by the U.K. government ?? 1 of 8 reasons we are not a country

you sure your a unionist ? Next Palestine and Catalan will countries because they have they govern themselves
:)) There’s no fucking way you’re a 34 year old man, I’m embarrassed for you

Congratulations to the SNP ! as they have managed to divide Scotland in two with their hatred towards all things Protestant and all things Rangers . They turn a blind eye to to bringing justice for people who were sexually abused as children . They enjoy support from groups with leanings towards Irish republicanism and turn a blind eye to groups such as IRPWA and Saoradh activists who collect funds for terrorist prisoners in Irish and Scottish Prisons and their families regularly at the CFC stadium in buckets and the police look the other way . The west of Scotland is becoming a terrorist supporting haven intent on splitting the United Kingdom to achieve their own ends and the SNP are only too happy to put the blinkers on as long as they can get the Anti - English vote . The sooner Scotland wakes up to what's really going on here the better , the kilts and claymore days are long gone and the sooner they realise a United Kingdom is the way forward the better for us all . Oh ! and Humza , your beloved football team are not doing too well either at the moment . :))

Who are we governed by the U.K. government ?? 1 of 8 reasons we are not a country

you sure your a unionist ? Next Palestine and Catalan will countries because they have they govern themselves
We do, however, have a Scottish Government. You yourself directed everyone to one of their publications.

That publication, which you claim supports your arguement, does not in anyway compare the two terms it merely chooses to use the word Nation as opposed to Country but, as noted by others, the two terms are synonymous.

The 8 requirements you then directed people to were not requirements for somewhere to be classified a Country but were, in fact, the requirements to be classed an Independent "Nation".

We are not Independent but are, by all possible definitions, a Country and/or a Nation and to claim otherwise is ludicrous.

We do, however, have a Scottish Government. You yourself directed everyone to one of their publications.

That publication, which you claim supports your arguement, does not in anyway compare the two terms it merely chooses to use the word Nation as opposed to Country but, as noted by others, the two terms are synonymous.

The 8 requirements you then directed people to were not requirements for somewhere to be classified a Country but were, in fact, the requirements to be classed an Independent "Nation".

We are not Independent but are, by all possible definitions, a Country and/or a Nation and to claim otherwise is ludicrous.
James has it in his head that acknowledging that Scotland is a country is conceding something to the separatist cause. It’s the kind of petty semantical argument I’d expect from that lot - same goes for the childish accusations.

Bottom line I’m not Scottish my passport birth lines drivers license al states my country as British , so I’m British that’s my country of birth

Bottom line I’m not Scottish my passport birth lines drivers license al states my country as British , so I’m British that’s my country of birth
Whereabouts in this glorious United Kingdom of ours were you born?

Is that a provisional license or did someone else sit the theory test for you?

Is there anyone of those 8,000 questioned on here?

Or even know of anyone who was?
I did, I'm sure it was either through twitter or an email, to be honest I cant remember. My views are along with the higher percentages mentioned. I do still want Scotland to win, I grew up going to Hampden for the home internationals etc and yes the majority there were bears. I don't think however I could ever go and see them again though, not only because the majority of the current fan base are tossers and I couldn't trust myself among them but going to Hamdump is a nightmare and I would only put myself through that for one team, also the football on display is absolutely dire. I could put the win over Serbia on a level with us beating the mankies on penalties under Warburton a few years back, papering over the cracks.

I did, I'm sure it was either through twitter or an email, to be honest I cant remember. My views are along with the higher percentages mentioned. I do still want Scotland to win, I grew up going to Hampden for the home internationals etc and yes the majority there were bears. I don't think however I could ever go and see them again though, not only because the majority of the current fan base are tossers and I couldn't trust myself among them but going to Hamdump is a nightmare and I would only put myself through that for one team, also the football on display is absolutely dire. I could put the win over Serbia on a level with us beating the mankies on penalties under Warburton a few years back, papering over the cracks.
I could be wrong but i thought there was a link to it posted on here at some point.

I certainly completed it and was somewhat pleased to see that my answers, like yours, seemed to align with the majority of our support. It's bad enough feeling like an outsider in your own Country - imagine finding out you were also an outsider amongst your own clubs support :eek:

I could be wrong but i thought there was a link to it posted on here at some point.

I certainly completed it and was somewhat pleased to see that my answers, like yours, seemed to align with the majority of our support. It's bad enough feeling like an outsider in your own Country - imagine finding out you were also an outsider amongst your own clubs support :eek:
I think the backing of the national team is an age thing, I'm mid 50's and most of my mates are the same as me, want them to do well but no chance of going to see them. The younger generation I think are more against them since 2012 and everything that went on, maybe even earlier than that. Not being at a major tourney doesn't help either. The one thing I think we all agree on is no way could I stand at a ground and cheer on thum heid or stand amongst so called supporters who would boo a player simply because he plays for (or supports) our team. All IMO of course.;)

I think the backing of the national team is an age thing, I'm mid 50's and most of my mates are the same as me, want them to do well but no chance of going to see them. The younger generation I think are more against them since 2012 and everything that went on, maybe even earlier than that. Not being at a major tourney doesn't help either. The one thing I think we all agree on is no way could I stand at a ground and cheer on thum heid or stand amongst so called supporters who would boo a player simply because he plays for (or supports) our team. All IMO of course.;)
Yep - I think most of our generation who have fond memories of following Scotland 70's/80's are of a similar mind.

I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for continuing to support them but it's just not for me any more.

And, as you suggest, the younger generation, who have only ever known a Scotland team who failed repeatedly to qualify and who have witnessed nothing but hatred from our governing bodies towards our club, are likely to be more hardline and a generation lost to the National team. Can't blame or criticise them for that either.

It was essentially the so-called Tartan Army that put our club down and in so doing the bar stewards in their misfitting kilts strangled my love of the game. That is not coming back in a hurry. I can't even be bothered with the Champions League that I once loved to watch. Even at club level, there are only one and a half clubs in existence: Rangers and their opposition.
That said, I appreciate what the journalist was saying and the tone of the article. It is a lot better than some of the bilge to which we have become accustomed.

My take aways on this article are

1) SFA screwed us over but it was our fault
2) We should apologize and move on
3) No harm done - nothing to see
4) Rangers players are needed for serfdom at the SFA and that is more important than club
5) SFA needs Rangers fans money, so hand it over
6) Its ok for most Scotland fans to hate Rangers players and fans but no reciprocal is allowed.

It typifies the arrogance of the press and the SFA apologists that cannot accept their complicity in the reprehensible treatment of Rangers and do not want to understand why there is resentment.

I don’t remember an article in a similar vein when the RoI were playing Scotland in a Euro qualifier in the late 80’s at Hampden when half the Gallogate and East end where in the opposition end
That is a great post. Most of the Mhanks I know used to follow the Republic and their children used to wear ROI Strips now they are all Scotland Supporters.

Years ago never missed a Scotland game , cancelled my wedding in 1978 & tanned the lot going to Argentina
Four years later travelled from South Africa to Europe for Spain 82.
Was all set to go to Mexico in 1986 via greyhound bus through the USA & then found out my girlfriend ( now wife ) was pregnant.
Still went to most of the games at Hampden but gradually I felt a bit of animosity from the " trannies" when they realised myself & mates were bluenose,s.
Stopped going around 15 years ago & although I want them to qualify for a major tournament, it's no big deal for me if they don't
Just before I retired I was watching the Auld enemy game in the recreation room offshore when thumbheid scored his free kicks ,I must have been the only Jock who didn't jump to his feet.
However when England scored the last minute equaliser I had to leave the room for a quiet chuckle, should be ashamed but I'm not.
I had a son born in the middle of a Scotland v England game 3.25 PM on a Saturday afternoon 1988, ironically his initials are R.F.C.

Mate I am proud to be British too. All of my loyalties are for Britain, and I just happen to be a Scot. I'm British first and foremost, so I'm quite staunch. Still not as staunch as you mind you. However, I'd never want to discourage your strong British identity. The UK is indeed our sovereign state, and if you don't recognize Scotland as a country then fill your boots sir. We are British, and there's no disagreement about that :))

Personally, I dont give a monkeys about the national team. Apart from Griffiths (and Brown when he was playing) I have nothing against the players, just the SFA and their treatment of us... has left me cold. I cant switch my affection on and off like the Herald seems to think. Football supporting just doesnt work that way.

I was happy enough for Scotland last week, now that the real football is back I'll likely not give them a second thought till the Euro's start.

I'd rather Rangers beat Falkirk next week than Scotland win the whole Euro's.

Scotland do not come anywhere near my support for Rangers.
Congratulations to the SNP ! as they have managed to divide Scotland in two with their hatred towards all things Protestant and all things Rangers . They turn a blind eye to to bringing justice for people who were sexually abused as children . They enjoy support from groups with leanings towards Irish republicanism and turn a blind eye to groups such as IRPWA and Saoradh activists who collect funds for terrorist prisoners in Irish and Scottish Prisons and their families regularly at the CFC stadium in buckets and the police look the other way . The west of Scotland is becoming a terrorist supporting haven intent on splitting the United Kingdom to achieve their own ends and the SNP are only too happy to put the blinkers on as long as they can get the Anti - English vote . The sooner Scotland wakes up to what's really going on here the better , the kilts and claymore days are long gone and the sooner they realise a United Kingdom is the way forward the better for us all . Oh ! and Humza , your beloved football team are not doing too well either at the moment . :))
Sinn Fein Lite will bring this poxed, wee hole to Civil War.

In one way it might be a good thing as there will only be one winner.

Seeing Scotland win, all good. But I'll never be going back to games as a supporter, because there's too many people who are determined to give our players grief. Why spend time and money to stand, on a pissing cold midweek night, next to these cvnts giving pelters to Ryan Jack?

They have ruined any good that I felt for the SFA run team, what that lot done to my club means I can never go back to seeing them play, again.

Not a fuckin chance national team has been hijacked by nationalists fuckin despise the tartan twats

Of course it is. Couple of weeks after our manager gets pulled on a nonsensical charge and then our players get dealt with double the suspension of others that did the same thing.

C’mon the Scotland :rolleyes:

Yeah nah. That ship has sailed long ago. Any of our lot playing for them, I just want to see them come back fit.

I’ll never forget.

What a conundrum...wear a Rangers top at a Scotland game and get grief. Wear one at an England game and not a dicky bird.

What strange hate filled minds these fuckers have.

I have noticed some in the media recently trying to get bears back on side, don’t know how genuine some of those people are but I doubt there will be a significant number of Rangers fans interested in actively supporting something run by the SFA, then you have stands awash with Rangers haters and a horrible c@nt like Griffiths wearing the dark blue.

After a few decades of driving the wedge between bears and the national team NOTHING has changed in the country for the majority of bears to even contemplate a renewed interest in the Scotland team and if people think qualification for a tournament is a game changer they must still be drunk from the previous week’s celebrating.

The question the article should be asking is why would any Rangers fan in their right mind want to be involved? Back in the day we all felt a part of it, we were all in it together, nowadays we’re a million miles away from that scenario, the thrill is long gone and it won’t be rekindled any time soon, if at all.

Article in the Herald. Says it like it is really.

THE relationship between Rangers - or more specifically Rangers supporters - and the Scotland national team is a complex yet fascinating one.

It encompasses every aspect of life on and off the park as political opinions and club loyalties shape views and define behaviours when it comes to the support, or not, of the side that represent the country on the world stage.

At times it feels as though sections of the Rangers fanbase have never been more disillusioned or out of touch with Scotland and in many ways that disconnect is completely understandable. But, in a purely football and sporting sense, Scotland are good for Rangers and Rangers must be good for Scotland.

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his desire to see Scotland improve and succeed, and also of his delight at his players earning international recognition in recent times. The likes of Borna Barisic and Glen Kamara will be at the Euros next summer. That will raise their profile, but also that of Rangers and having players operating at the highest level can only further enhance the club's reputation. Gerrard has done so much on that front in a European sense and the more internationalists Rangers have the better. It is a shame, though, that there are not more players within Gerrard's ranks that can stake a claim to feature for Steve Clarke.

Going forward, and as the Ibrox squad evolves, that should be a consideration for Rangers and a club that has given so much to the national side over the years must once again be able to provide the backbone of the Scotland setup. Ryan Jack has become a mainstay of the side under Clarke in recent fixtures, but some Gers fans will only tune in to see if he plays well and emerges unscathed for his return to domestic and European duty.

The pride that Jack has in playing for his country is clear to see and it should be hoped that rubs off on those who dismiss Scotland duty. Rangers could certainly do with more like him and goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin. The lack of Rangers representation in the national squad over recent years may explain the apathy that some sections of the support have towards Scotland these days.

But more wide-ranging issues - such as the treatment their club received in 2012 and the Independence Referendum two years later - almost certainly have a significant part to play in the seeming shift away from the traditional backing that Gers fans once provided to the national side.

Last month, The Athletic carried out a survey of more than 8000 supporters to attempt to paint a picture of the relationship between Rangers fans and Scotland. There is no definitive answer to such a convoluted question, but it did at least offer an insight when it comes to the club versus country debate.

From a football viewpoint, it was no surprise to see that 68 per cent stated that their support for the national team had decreased since 2012. The feelings of anger and resentment from the fall-out of Rangers' financial collapse clearly still lingers in the minds of many and there is no desire to share a terrace or emotional connection with fans of clubs who wished them nothing but ill will eight years ago.

Indeed, 87 per cent of those that responded to The Athletic believed they would receive a negative reaction if they identified as a Rangers fan at a Scotland match. It is hard to conclude that figure would be as high for any other support in the country and while Rangers punters may dismiss it with the 'no-one likes us, we don't care' attitude, it is sad that fans feel they would be unwelcome at an event that is supposed to unite in the backing of a common, national cause.

While fans across the country revelled in Rangers' fight for survival and subsequent plights on their journey back, the Ibrox crowd remained admirably loyal and devoted to their club and their cause. Having come through what they have, the bond between fan and club is stronger than ever.

Many will have taken heart and pleasure from seeing Scotland end their wait to return to a major finals with victory over Serbia last week. But it will be nothing compared to the emotions when Rangers win their 55th league title. Scotland matters, but just not as much as Rangers, or as much as it does to fans of other clubs.

The team on the park is only part of the problem, though, and many will simply find it unpalatable to support Scotland for reasons other than football. When Scotland is divided politically, it is no surprise that the makeup of the fanbase is as well. While 55 per cent of those in the poll didn't think that being a Unionist was an important part of a Rangers fan's identity, 75 per cent believed that Nationalism was synonymous with the Scotland support.

It is too simplistic to say that the dual identity of being Scottish and British doesn't fit amongst the national support but views on Government and the Union will come into the thinking for some. Figures for ideology and voting preference in a referendum were broadly similar at around 65 per cent Unionist, 10 per cent Nationalist and a quarter neither.

In decades gone by, the Rangers support made up a huge percentage of the Tartan Army home and away and it would be healthy if the numbers were to swell once again. Scotland is as much theirs as it is anyone else's. But if it doesn't happen in the build-up to the European Championships, then it is hard to see how and when there will be a reconnection between Light and Dark Blue going forward.

Now is the time for Rangers to become prominent and lead the way for Scotland, both on and off the park, once again.

Latest posts

Back