Now You Know

I loved that as a boy, shows the difference between what used to be worth reading and what the papers churn out now. Times change i suppose

Also used to like the 'on this day' stuff a poster used to post here on the old board (was it Sam English?) good content!

Bob Crampsy in general was always good value on the radio too while i remember, used to know everything. A real football enthusiast

Last edited:
I remember phoning up the sports desk at the paper from the pub at the weekend to settle arguments. Sometimes they would take the number of the pub and phone us back. I don’t think Bob was ever one of the team on shift :)):))

Crampsey was a previous " Brain of Britain ", a competition that was pre-mastermind.

He was extremely knowledgable in other stuff besides sport but made football his hobby. I have an old Scotsport annual somewhere in the attic from 65-66 and he is in it with Arthur Montford and Alex Cameron.

I saw Bob Crampsey at a sportsman's dinner at Gleddoch golf club many years ago and to my complete surprise he was one of the funniest I've ever heard. he had this dry droll sense of humour with perfect timing. I would have loved to have had a chance to see him again, but alas it was not to be.

It was in that newspaper column that I first read of the Piggery closure enforced during WW2 due to violence and pro-Nazi gestures.

Used to love the old column done by Bob Crampsey!

I used to love that too as he was a wealth of knowledge and a real nice guy. However, the ‘Now You Know’ section of the paper ran for years prior to Bob Crampsey taking over but I can’t remember the journalist’s name.

Does anyone know?

He wrote a book about his childhood in Glasgow during the war years called, 'The Young Civilian'. I read it years ago and thought it was a very good read. He was always a very fair commentator and I laid a great deal of store in what he said regarding Scottish football.

Always a cracking read especially The Saturday Night Evening Times for the NYK section.

As said he was engaging on The Radio,TV as he was in The written media.

How times have changed at Radio Scotland & The Evening Times in terms of quality content from people in the know like Crampsey where it was entirely about the Football with no agenda driven crap.

I always enjoyed Bob's wit when reporting on dull games. One game was so dull with few goal attempts and Bob used an Oscar Wilde quote to describe it - 'the game was always suggestive but never vulgar'! Clever.

I've got an old book of Bob Crampsey's that's a collection of Now You Know questions and answers relating to us and the tims lying about somewhere. Think it's called something along the lines of 'Now You Know the Old Firm'.

I'm sure was the author of a book on Scottish football which I read back in the day, buggered if I can remember the name of it...it was a smallish paperback.

Anyway the only points I can remember from it are that at the time of writing (70's) he thought that in any poll for Scotland's greatest player Jim Baxter would probably win it.
He also ventured the opinion that never again would we see aggregate attendances of over 1m for the season as we had at Ibrox in the late 40's and early 50's. He was wrong.

Incidentally average attendances quoted for season 1956-57 were used in one paragraph and were as follows :-

Rangers 36,000
Hearts 24,500
Hibs 18,000
Celtic 18,000

Useless information Loyal.

I'm sure was the author of a book on Scottish football which I read back in the day, buggered if I can remember the name of it...it was a smallish paperback.

Anyway the only points I can remember from it are that at the time of writing (70's) he thought that in any poll for Scotland's greatest player Jim Baxter would probably win it.
He also ventured the opinion that never again would we see aggregate attendances of over 1m for the season as we had at Ibrox in the late 40's and early 50's. He was wrong.

Incidentally average attendances quoted for season 1956-57 were used in one paragraph and were as follows :-

Rangers 36,000
Hearts 24,500
Hibs 18,000
Celtic 18,000

Useless information Loyal.

You look at the total of attendances for seven Rangers Scottish Cup ties in 1947/48. Just shy of 600,000 in total. That is a record that surely will never have been recorded before or since.

I loved that as a boy, shows the difference between what used to be worth reading and what the papers churn out now. Times change i suppose

Also used to like the 'on this day' stuff a poster used to post here on the old board (was it Sam English?) good content!

Bob Crampsy in general was always good value on the radio too while i remember, used to know everything. A real football enthusiast

Bob Crampsey was a proper broadcaster and journalist. In His latest years it was ever more obvious just how frustrated and fed-up he was listening to the utter tripe and dimwittery around him on BBC Sportsound. He is sadly missed

Bob Crampsey once sent me off whilst playing for my school, for blootering Charlie Nic's wee brother (Steph) up in the air. Poor lad passed away quite young a couple of years back from what I remember (and unrelated to me blootering him).

Cool story bro, etc.

I saw Bob Crampsey at a sportsman's dinner at Gleddoch golf club many years ago and to my complete surprise he was one of the funniest I've ever heard. he had this dry droll sense of humour with perfect timing. I would have loved to have had a chance to see him again, but alas it was not to be.

I'm sure that in one match report, he described the spectacle of a particularly dire, uneventful game as 'akin to watching coastal erosion!'.

Back