Now You Know

Players from the Scottish League.

Yes but all must be Scots , I think.

I was just wondering if there could be a competition where the only requirement regardless of nationality is that you played in a particular league.

Would be a good thread. Name your EPL team.

I remember phoning up the sports desk at the paper from the pub at the weekend to settle arguments. Sometimes they would take the number of the pub and phone us back. I don’t think Bob was ever one of the team on shift :)):))

I remember having to do that as well, one was where was Gough born and where was he brought up

Crampsey was a very intelligent and articulate commentator on the Scottish game, of that there is no doubt. But, if memory serves, he also wrote a biography of Big Jock wihich doesn’t mention child abuse. So he must have known but chose not to write about it. Rather tarnishes his legacy in my opinion.

I was just wondering if there could be a competition where the only requirement regardless of nationality is that you played in a particular league.

When the Scottish League XI played the Italian League XI in 1961, Denis Law (and John Charles) played for the Italians.
The Scottish League XI had 5 Rangers in it, Caldow, Baxter, Scott, Brand and Wilson.
1-1, Att 67,996.

Any player playing in the league was eligible.

When the Scottish League XI played the Italian League XI in 1961, Denis Law (and John Charles) played for the Italians.
The Scottish League XI had 5 Rangers in it, Caldow, Baxter, Scott, Brand and Wilson.
1-1, Att 67,996.
...and some guy called Gerry Hitchen played for the Italians.

...and some guy called Gerry Hitchen played for the Italians.

Gerry Hitchens was an England International.
He scored after only 90 seconds on his England debut.
Two weeks later he scored twice in Rome as England defeated Italy 3-2.
This brought him to the attention of Inter Milan who signed him in the summer of 1961 for £85,000. Hitchens was Inter's top scorer with 16 goals in his first season.
He played for England in the 1962 World Cup in Chile, and won a total of seven caps, scoring five goals. When chosen to appear for England in the World Cup, Hitchens became the first Englishman to represent his country while on the books of a foreign club
However, when Alf Ramsey took over as England manager, Hitchens' international spell came to a halt, Ramsey preferring to pick home-based players.

Hitchens died playing in 1983 during a charity football match for a Mold-based firm of solicitors at Castell Alun sports ground in Hope. Seconds after heading a cross over the bar, Hitchens collapsed and was taken to Wrexham General Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.
He was 48 years old..

I'm sure was the author of a book on Scottish football which I read back in the day, buggered if I can remember the name of it...it was a smallish paperback.

Anyway the only points I can remember from it are that at the time of writing (70's) he thought that in any poll for Scotland's greatest player Jim Baxter would probably win it.
He also ventured the opinion that never again would we see aggregate attendances of over 1m for the season as we had at Ibrox in the late 40's and early 50's. He was wrong.

Incidentally average attendances quoted for season 1956-57 were used in one paragraph and were as follows :-

Rangers 36,000
Hearts 24,500
Hibs 18,000
Celtic 18,000

Useless information Loyal.
Think the book you are referring to was The Scots Book of Football.I had it when I was a kid.The cover was Alex Ferguson and Billy McNeill jumping for a high ball at Hampben.

Players who played in the Scottish League as Alex Venters said.

For instance in the late 50s/early 60s, Hibs had a centre forward called Joe Baker who was English, who I'm very, very sure played for the Scottish League against the English.

Back in the day it would draw fair crowds.

If newspapers still employed journalists like Bob their circulations would be a lot better than they are now. I honestly couldn't have told you what team he supported.

A bit off topic but can anyone remember Showbiz Sam? I think it was in a Daily Record on a Saturday.

Bob could always sum up a dull game in an entertaining way. I remember one very dull 0-0 draw where there were very few shots at goal or chances created when he used an Oscar Wilde quote to describe the game - 'Always suggestive but never vulgar'.

Nope it could be any nationality. Think Joe Baker got a league cap.

Players who played in the Scottish League as Alex Venters said.

For instance in the late 50s/early 60s, Hibs had a centre forward called Joe Baker who was English, who I'm very, very sure played for the Scottish League against the English.

Back in the day it would draw fair crowds.

Best me:)

Where is Craig Dargo now? Playing or coaching or out the game altogether?
Football coach at Drummond High School and in charge of Ayr United Academy.Or he was up until a few months ago.Not sure if anything changes with Ian McCall leaving Ayr.

Back