Ob la di Ob la da - Beatles

Methilbear

A dearly parted pal of mine used to sing a song to this tune which ended “Rangers are The Champions”.
Can anyone mind the words ? I assume it was mid 70’s

Don't remember that one OP but it was very common back then for the "choir" to adapt pop songs from the charts back then.

Amazing Grace(yeh I know it was a hymn first) being the most obvious.

A dearly parted pal of mine used to sing a song to this tune which ended “Rangers are The Champions”.
Can anyone mind the words ? I assume it was mid 70’s
Don't remember that song at our games , if it was more likely to be late sixties/ early 70s.

It was just the Chorus that was sung 'Rangers are the Champions'
It was Marmalade that had it out as a single
Hi Robert
the guy I refer to sang a whole song referencing the pope, bishop etc.
I met him in Fife and having grown up in Paisley had never heard it. Maybe it was just his song

Beatles wrote loads of songs that they allowed other people to sing
i.e. With a little help from my friends, Michelle, there are loads of examples
Best Band Ever
There are loads of Beatles songs written for others but ob la di bla da was a Beatles single, just wasnt released in this country (or America I think)

Reactions: LD5
There are loads of Beatles songs written for others but ob la di bla da was a Beatles single, just wasnt released in this country (or America I think)
That makes it a Marmalade song in the UK
Long and winding Road was there best selling single ever, never released by them in Britain as a single by The Beatles

Correct. 'Those Were the Days'.
Originally a Russian folk song.
Now, I could have this a wee bit wrong, but wasn’t there a song after the 4-2 at Parkheed in 1968, “Those were the days Jock Stein,
you had the greatest team,
until we beat you, 4-2 at Parkhead.
You lived the life you choose,
you thought you couldny lose,
Die, die, die, die ya hun, die, die, die die ya hun...”

Now, I could have this a wee bit wrong, but wasn’t there a song after the 4-2 at Parkheed in 1968, “Those were the days Jock Stein,
Very slightly different and the Obla-di-obla da lyrics I remember from the supporters bus as a kid and would never be allowed to to post here.

Their songs mocking the Ibrox disaster let to a no-holds-barred back and forth. The world has thankfully changed and we all agree that human life is more precious.

They somehow/sometime turned Hun towards us, when i have no clue, but "Go home ya huns" was chanted plenty at them as they were streaming out the ground before full time when we were ahead.

If anyone can explain why we are now in their eyes the "Huns" i am all ears.

If anyone can explain why we are now in their eyes the "Huns" i am all ears.

To us older Bears it is quite astonishing. They were always the huns but I think the Scotland fans were called it at Wembley and somehow it stuck with us. Ridiculously inappropriate!

A lot of them ended up back of the bus type songs.
My particular favorite was”I’d like to teach the world to sing the sash my father wore”:cool:
That was one of my favourites also from the early 1970s (New Seekers) but I can’t remember the words, can you or anyone else?

All I remember is, “I’d like to teach the world to sing the sash my father wore, no surrender, dolly’s braes ...”

That was one of my favourites also from the early 1970s (New Seekers) but I can’t remember the words, can you or anyone else?

All I remember is, “I’d like to teach the world to sing the sash my father wore, no surrender, dolly’s braes ...”

I recall my brother singing, and it's stuck with me to this day,
I'd like to teach the world to sing
The sash my father wore
I'd like to hang the pope
From an orange rope
Outside a Chapel door

Couldn't say if these were the words sang on the terraces or just his version

Rangers supporters always made good use of pop tunes.
One of my favourites was when the mentally challengeds used to start throwing bottles or having some tim on tim action on the terracing.

3 points for the poster who gets the band for "hoolie hoolie hooligans".

I recall my brother singing, and it's stuck with me to this day,
I'd like to teach the world to sing
The sash my father wore
I'd like to hang the pope
From an orange rope
Outside a Chapel door

Couldn't say if these were the words sang on the terraces or just his version
Obviously loads of variants of these songs

I remember

I'd like to teach the world to sing, The Sash in Harmony
I'd like to guard old Derrys Walls, and help to keep them free
I'd like to sing God Save the Queen on the 12th day of July
And sing it to, The Orangemen, as they go marching by

“He’s Got The Whole World In His Hands”, became “We’ve Got The Best Team In The Land”. We’ve got Norrie Martin number one etc right through to Orjan Persson number 11.
“Gin Gan Goolie” by The Scaffold became “Wullie Wullie Wullie Johnston On The Wing”.
“Give Peace A Chance” became “Give Us A Goal”.
“Jesus Christ Superstar” became “UDA All The Way, Fuk The Pope and The IRA”.
“Wandrin Star” “I Was Born Under A Union Jack”.
The support were very innovative back in the day.

Back