Ob la di Ob la da - Beatles

Thought Dean Ford was from Coatbridge and Junior Campbell was from Springboig.
Dean Ford died a couple of years ago on NY eve/day and Pat Fairley died in August this year.
Loved this little ditty.
Not a typical Marmalade pop song.

Pat Fairley used to live in LA.The Valley.
I always remember he was one of the few that got a message through from LA to family in Glasgow, after the massive Northridge earthquake in ‘94?
Is Junior still with us?
I remember Blue in 77 as well.Ex Marmalade guys.

I recall my brother singing, and it's stuck with me to this day,
I'd like to teach the world to sing
The sash my father wore
I'd like to hang the pope
From an orange rope
Outside a Chapel door

Couldn't say if these were the words sang on the terraces or just his version
That is the version I used to sing. I think my big brother taught me it. There was many a good song mimicked on the terraces. There was another song he used to sing that went “ they were shagging all the nuns
When they heard King Billy’s guns,
and the dirty 19th Century Terrorist bastards ran away,
They ran away, they ran away
Aye the dirty 19th Century Terrorist bastards ran away.”

That is the version I used to sing. I think my big brother taught me it. There was many a good song mimicked on the terraces. There was another song he used to sing that went “ they were shagging all the nuns
When they heard King Billy’s guns,
and the dirty 19th Century Terrorist bastards ran away,
They ran away, they ran away
Aye the dirty 19th Century Terrorist bastards ran away.”
One of forfar true blues favourite songs,the lyrics on that one were
“Just by Bridgeton cross when the Pope fell of his horse and the eagles on his banner flew away.
He was shaging all his nuns when he heard the orange guns and the dirty 19th Century Terrorist bastard ran away”

• Love
Reactions: TQ3
Marmalade, which was originally known as The Gaylords. :))
Later Dean Ford & The Gaylords, mate.
Here's an anecdote:
Marmalade had just gone to number 1 in the charts
and Junior Campbell was asked in an interview if he
didn't think the song was a bit childish for a rock band.

He replied, "If somebody had told me it would get to
Number 1, I would sing bee-baw-babbity. :))

One of forfar true blues favourite songs,the lyrics on that one were
“Just by Bridgeton cross when the Pope fell of his horse and the eagles on his banner flew away.
He was shaging all his nuns when he heard the orange guns and the dirty 19th Century Terrorist bastard ran away”
That’s it. I knew as soon as I seen the first line. Thank you @dublinbluenose

Thought Dean Ford was from Coatbridge and Junior Campbell was from Springboig.
Dean Ford died a couple of years ago on NY eve/day and Pat Fairley died in August this year.
Have not read through the thread :

Pat owned the Scotland Yard pub in Canoga Park, Los Angeles. Our football team played out of there many years ago. He was a very nice man.

A dearly parted pal of mine used to sing a song to this tune which ended “Rangers are The Champions”.
Can anyone mind the words ? I assume it was mid 70’
A dearly parted pal of mine used to sing a song to this tune which ended “Rangers are The Champions”.
Can anyone mind the words ? I assume it was mid 70’s
My dad sung it but it was Glasgow rangers champions at the end

Can anyone mind the words ? I assume it was mid 70’s
Stevie g Stevie g fifty five oohoh Glasgow rangers champions. Should be the new one

Another bus song was soulful rendition of the first verse of Nobody's Child followed by a rousing chorus of The cry was No Surrender.

To us older Bears it is quite astonishing. They were always the huns but I think the Scotland fans were called it at Wembley and somehow it stuck with us. Ridiculously inappropriate!

"" If I had a Tommy gun I'd shoot every 19th Century Terrorist hun just for walking on the Queens Highway " . ......

Another bus song was soulful rendition of the first verse of Nobody's Child followed by a rousing chorus of The cry was No Surrender.
As I was slowly passing an orange hall one day
I stopped there for a moment to hear the flute band play
Alone a boy was standing and when I asked him why
He raised the banner high aloft and he began to cry

And his cry was no surrender........

One of them in Marmalade went to the Albert School in Springburn pretty sure my mate knew him well, will give him a call tomorrow to find out which one.

Back