Observer: the case for Mcinnes

Brian Clough and Peter Taylor were a great partnership. One did the mind games, the other spotted players. Once they broke up, Clough was never the same (albeit he had other issues). No idea the chemistry between McInnes and Docherty, but if for any reason the partnership was to be broken, it might be a concern.

I'll support whoever gets the job 100% but his body language and lack of being able to change things around during a game worry me. The Mhanks rag dolled them last week and he had no response from his players in a home tie.

During the times of their 2nd 2nd etc, we have seen the demise of Hibs, Hearts, Scumdee utd Rangers etc All were decent competition. Aberdeen have really been fighting it out against the thistles, hsmiltons of this world with a much bigger budget

Why is that?
Oh, because McInnes took them from the brink of said demise to the second best in the country.
Aberdeens budget has been no bigger than that of those you mention, either in the league or those who dropped out.

I've said before I think DM will be our version of tommy burns . He will give us a team that's hard to beat and consistent but ultimately unable to win the league .

In the long run that would be no bad thing. You have to walk before you run, Burns took Celtic from a joke outfit that couldn't even finish 2nd to a team that pushed us all the way within 2 years and laid the foundations for Jansen's title winning season and ultimately for Martin O'Neill's reign.

Disappointed in the article. I thought it was going to be a review of the suitcase he was packing to go to Sunderland

Agree with a lot of this article. We all know where we want to go but I think its important to remember where we are. Last season we finished 39 points off top and are not even currently the team deemed most likely to challenge. Unfortunately that isn't going to change overnight. We need to progress to that point. If we continually look to Celtic and sack every manager who doesn't win the league at the first time of asking then we'll forever be in their shadow.

One of the main arguments I've read against McInnes is that he'll be 'our Tommy Burns'. The implication being that he'll form a solid, consistent team but will never topple Rodgers and Celtic. In reality, Tommy Burns took Celtic from a team finishing 4th in the Premier League to a team who were finishing second having lost 1 match all season. You could argue he laid the foundations for Jansen coming in and stopping 10 in a row. Would it be such a bad thing if McInnes done a similar job?
Exactly. People here are too obsessed with the idea of Celtic doing 10 in a row. Who cares what they do?

All I care about is progressing towards number 55. I'm realistic enough to realise that it'll take a miracle for us to win the league within the next 3 seasons when we finished 39 points behind last season.

We'll still be 39 points behind them if we continue to make mistakes with managerial appointments. At this stage I'd be delighted with a manager who manages to do for us what Burns did for Celtic in the 1990s.

Back