Observer: the case for Mcinnes

....and will we be happy when he signs a load of mediocre Aberdeen players and brings in his back room staff? Ive even seen folk saying they would mind him bringing Ryan Christie with him....
Why would he sign mediocre Aberdeen players and not the multi million pound stars he's only able to take in on loan just now?

Why would you not want Ryan Christie ffs

Which multi million pound loan players are these? Which are you suggesting we sign? I don't agree with signing players from the Tims, that's why I wouldn't want Ryan Christie

Capture.JPG

Next Rangers boss: The case for Derek McInnes

November 2, 2017

By Ally Brown | Guest Contributor

It's not easy to get Rangers fans to agree, but I'm sure we would all unite as one if Walter Smith announced he was bored of crosswords and Countdown and was craving a return to the Ibrox dugout. Sadly we have to accept that's not going to happen, now or in the future, so perhaps we should be asking the question: who is the next Walter Smith?

Hear me out: it might be Derek McInnes. It might not be, but let me make his case.

Whether you think it's important or not that we hire a British manager, or a Rangers man, McInnes ticks those boxes. There is no chance that a man who was born and raised a Bear and who won a league in our shirt would have any misunderstandings about what the club means and what the fans expect. McInnes knows all about the club and the league already. Any new Walter Smith would need to be a Rangers man at heart and - as far as we can tell - McInnes is that.

But so is Ally McCoist and so are me and you and we don't deserve the job. So let's look at the far more important factor of McInnes's record as a manager.

Some fans are downplaying what he's done at Aberdeen, as if it's only natural that they'd be the second best team in the country without us. But Aberdeen had been terrible for 20 years before McInnes came in. In the four seasons before McInnes arrived they finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 8th. And in the four seasons since? 3rd - and a trophy - 2nd, 2nd and 2nd. That's a huge turnaround.

He has turned Aberdeen into a points-winning machine. He's turned them into us, or what we used to be. This season, they're on 26 points from 11 matches - that would usually be called title-winning form. Celtic are on their best run for 100 years, and Aberdeen are one solitary point behind them.

Last year they won 76 points and got to two cup finals, their best season since they won the league in 1984-85 under Fergie. In the summer they lost their two best attackers and their captain, and they brought in five to six new players, and it's been a seamless transition: last year was their best season in 30 years and this year, they're even better.

He's done this with very average players. Are any of their players going to ever play in the EPL? I doubt it. Are any of them ever going to play for Scotland? Maybe a couple will get a handful of caps at most. It's not a dream team. In 1985 they had Alex McLeish and Willie Miller in front of Jim Leighton, players who are among Scotland's all-time greats, never mind Aberdeen's. Now they're relentlessly hoovering up points with Mark Reynolds and Greg Tansey.

We keep saying this is what we need: we need a team that's reliable enough to beat all the other teams every week, rack up the points, and then we'll deal with Celtic one-to-one. That's where Aberdeen are already. And yes, it's true that one-to-one, Aberdeen keep failing against Celtic.

But perhaps that is because Celtic have a massive budget that completely overwhelms Aberdeen's? Celtic have spent more on a one-season loan fee for one player than McInnes has spent on his entire squad. Give McInnes a bigger budget and better players, and of course he'll be able to do better in one-off games against them.

He has moulded an efficient, winning team out of a squad of average players on a budget about a quarter of ours. Wherever he can take Aberdeen, he can take us a lot further. And he's taken Aberdeen as close to Celtic as it's plausible to get for that money.

[/iframe]" data-provider-name="YouTube" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1509610680115_118" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; width: 320px; height: 179.859px;">
Walter Smith had no record as a manager before he became ours. So there is more evidence in favour of McInnes than there was in favour of Smith in 1991. And Walter himself approves. McInnes is a pragmatic boss who can build a relentlessly winning team on a limited budget, and he's also a Rangers man. Why would we look anywhere else?

Tagged: First Team

17 Likes

Older PostPedro Caixinha's reign encapsulated by drab Killie draw
Copyright 2017 • The Rangers Observer
Very good article indeed. I'm beginning to become more intrigued in the appointment of DM and feel like he's the man for the job.

....and will we be happy when he signs a load of mediocre Aberdeen players and brings in his back room staff? Ive even seen folk saying they would mind him bringing Ryan Christie with him....

You've got absolutely no idea who he'll sign, have you?

Just want a wee whinge, don't you?

Obviously not Rangers supporters then.

You've got absolutely no idea who he'll sign, have you?

Just want a wee whinge, don't you?

No, but I can speculate just like everyone else mate. Presumably there isn't a FF party line which one must observe now, so if it's ok with you I will post opinion on a discussion board.

No, but I can speculate just like everyone else mate. Presumably there isn't a FF party line which one must observe now, so if it's ok with you I will post opinion on a discussion board.

Absolutely fine with me. Just seems a bit daft to make up a "fact" that he'll sign a load of Aberdeen players then get upset about it.

McInnes signing his own players would have been concern for me too given at Aberdeen his main markets have been the lower English leagues and the Scottish Premiership. However Mark Allen and his team will be heavily involved in player recruitment going forward.

We will all have our own opinions on what we want as a first team coach. I use this terminology as with a DoF in place it is not a Manager we are looking for but a first class coach able to get the best from the players at his disposal. I am however unmoved by this bigging up of McInnes. I have no doubt that he is a Rangers man. My memory suggest that as a player with Morton there was a specific clause in his contract that he would be allowed to go to Rangers at a predetermined price should the call come.

Much is made of the Aberdeen league position in this article but little is said about the environment in which this was achieved. Yes comment is made on us not being there but what about Hearts and Hibs who would have been natural rivals for the second spot in our absence. They had also imploded leaving Aberdeen a fairly clear run with Dundee Hibs also starting to unravel. If I read this correctly we are supposed to look forward in anticipation of appointing a man who has achieved very little other than what was expected by a small city team.

It is also noticeable that there is little specific mention of his coaching ability, players he has brought on and sold bringing loads of cash into the Aberdeen coffers. Much as we might snigger at Dundee Hibs and Jackie MacNamarra there was Club and Coach who for a while identified and benefitted from good player recruitment, coaching and on selling. Does McInnes measure up to this, I don’t think so.

Got to say I would rather pass on this possible appointment and if this is the best case that can be made for him so should the Board.

Absolutely fine with me. Just seems a bit daft to make up a "fact" that he'll sign a load of Aberdeen players then get upset about it.
I didnt claim it was fact. I am not Derek McInnes and given that Derek McInnes is not yet the manager stating anything as fact would be difficult.
What I am 'suggesting' is that 'in my opinion' is that I would be disappointed if he signed a number of players from the Aberdeen squad.
And I include Ryan Christie in that.
Also - I am not upset. I do concede that I would be a little upset if we hire him as manager.

Reactions: TN8
I rarely read anything that makes me say wow re what McIness has done - nothing I wouldn't expect from a manager in his role - nothing has sold me on him and I'm trying to be won over by the idea

The likes of Moyes and McLaren are mocked despite having managed their country, beeen recruited by Man U and taking sides like Everton to top 4 and Boro to a Europa Final - jokes

Yet the guy who takes Aberdeen to a second at a time when most clubs around him didn't just toil but fucken imploded is the one you need to " get football" to buy into- emmm ok

Rise above things for a second...imagine looking at as an outsider - McIness ain't the strongest or even arguably most stable manager we can recruit a better manager would likely bring more stability.

I rarely read anything that makes me say wow re what McIness has done - nothing I wouldn't expect from a manager in his role - nothing has sold me on him and I'm trying to be won over by the idea

The likes of Moyes and McLaren are mocked despite having managed their country, beeen recruited by Man U and taking sides like Everton to top 4 and Boro to a Europa Final - jokes

Yet the guy who takes Aberdeen to a second at a time when most clubs around him didn't just toil but fucken imploded is the one you need to " get football" to buy into- emmm ok

Rise above things for a second...imagine looking at as an outsider - McIness ain't the strongest or even arguably most stable manager we can recruit a better manager would likely bring more stability.

It's not really, because Moyes and McLaren's careers are on downward trajectories and have been for several years

To suggest McIness isn't a "stable" choice is just f*cking madness, mate. He might not be the sexy option, but he is, on paper, the sensible and logical option

The observer needing to take a stance one way or the other they slated him previously now he's the only one who can take us forward.
Covering all the bases there.

Games won by 2nd places

2011/12 - 26

2010/11 - 25

2008/09 - 24

2007/08 - 27

2006/07 - 21

2005/06 - 22

2003/04 - 25

2000/01 - 25

McInnes last season - 24. He is pretty much around where the standard of 2nd place used to be, but with a budget ten times smaller.

His record is fantastic, it really is

Regardless of Aberdeen's budget, it's still f*cking Aberdeen he's been managing. A club utterly steeped in failure who were no different from your average diddy side. He has totally recalibrated the mindset up there and turned them into a points winning machine

For the budget talk, look at the state of Dundee United right now

Regardless of Aberdeen's budget, it's still f*cking Aberdeen he's been managing. A club utterly steeped in failure who were no different from your average diddy side. He has totally recalibrated the mindset up there and turned them into a points winning machine

They sold all there best players to the scum at Dundee Utd it's great to see them paying the price for that.

It's not really, because Moyes and McLaren's careers are on downward trajectories and have been for several years

To suggest McIness isn't a "stable" choice is just f*cking madness, mate. He might not be the sexy option, but he is, on paper, the sensible and logical option

I would say a better manager makes more sense - i can't be sold on the idea is stable either as he has worked in such fortunate circumstance - he has rarely had to steer his side in stormy waters or been tested - it is oft said he shouldn't have been expected to compete with Deilas Celtic under that same premise the other sides in Scotland were not competing with Aberdeen

Indeed.

Would you sign Ravel Morrison just because he's played for some top clubs in his time and his CV is great without taking into account how much of a downward spiral his career has been going in during recent years? Of course not.

Every manager can have a difficult gig, but it's multiple gigs over a number of years now which Moyes and McLaren have failed in. All roles with different expectations etc.

He is also the easy option he offers stability and the chance to finish second place I can see why the board are going for him if they are indeed going for him as they have made really poor choices since coming in and need the stability Derek McInnes will give them.
Supporters want more than that though which may happen under McInnes with more money, the board will see him as a safer bet he knows the league well and knows the club well.

McInnes may not even be first option but he may be a clever smokescreen for someone else.

During the times of their 2nd 2nd etc, we have seen the demise of Hibs, Hearts, Scumdee utd Rangers etc All were decent competition. Aberdeen have really been fighting it out against the thistles, hsmiltons of this world with a much bigger budget
The very teams, or calibre of teams, that we have been consistently dropping points to, last season and this.

The RO piece is very convincing on McInnes, I just feel that there are other things going on,as in a curved ball coming our way as ID10 said last evening.

I would see how Murty does next two games and if he wins them I would give him the job till the end of the season with Walter Smith giving him guidance

A very good article and gives a reasoned and logical reasoning behind appointing McInnes. For what its worth, I think he would be a good choice and would do well, for exactly the reasons highlighted in the article. Every appointment is a risk but this one appears less risky than the alternatives and I think that this will sway the Board who will be looking for a safe pair of hands after getting their fingers well and truly burnt with Caixinha.

A very good article and gives a reasoned and logical reasoning behind appointing McInnes. For what its worth, I think he would be a good choice and would do well, for exactly the reasons highlighted in the article. Every appointment is a risk but this one appears less risky than the alternatives and I think that this will sway the Board who will be looking for a safe pair of hands after getting their fingers well and truly burnt with Caixinha.

Every time I read the RO piece it becomes more and more a damned with feint praise article of a small time Manager with small time Club doing quite well at somethings. I really do hope our Board aspire to better than this.

Is Moodyblue banned by the way? Or has he burst his scrotum with his constant tugging at it while whimpering that he doesn't want McInnes? Don't think I've seen him post all day.

Didn't realise they had finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 8th before he took over. They really were shit weren't they.

The name of f*ck are you on about man.
Don,t think its to hard to understand .aberdeen were second due to rangers being poor .if we had better managers who bought better players then we may have been second .the mcleish point is that he came in and took over advocaat,s team.which was a descent team.

Most who have read the Observer know that their info must come from board sources that's why this seems odd after the last article.

I know mate but this ISN'T an article BY the Rangers Observer (planted or otherwise), it is stated quite clearly as being by a guest contributor. It's an opinion piece, as they've done in the past. Who knows, we might get Mr Grumpy doing a blog for them supporting Michel Preud'homme.:D

I think you are reading too much into it.

I know mate but this ISN'T an article BY the Rangers Observer (planted or otherwise), it is stated quite clearly as being by a guest contributor. It's an opinion piece, as they've done in the past. Who knows, we might get Mr Grumpy doing a blog for them supporting Michel Preud'homme.:D

I think you are reading too much into it.

I'm starting to think it may not even be McInness now with the interview process being held in London
as some state on here we may be in for a Surprise pick and none of the names mentioned.

I'm starting to think it may not even be McInness now with the interview process being held in London
as some state on here we may be in for a Surprise pick and none of the names mentioned.

Judging by the comments on here, whoever they pick is going to be greeted with dismay LOL.

Very difficult to argue with that. I’ve always wanted him but that article backs that view with facts. Interesting that those who don’t want him are increasingly not dissecting his record but are attacking his backroom staff

McInnes isn't good enough in my mind, he hasn't achieved any big deal by finishing 2nd in a 1 horse piss poor league.

I'd rather we get a foreigner in who knows how to inspire his players and win matches rather than a guy that 'knows' the Scottish game.

Pedro did not fail because he didn't know Scottish football, it was simply because he was a poor manager who lost the dressing room very quickly.

Aberdeen beat Rangers twice last season, one was with a last minute free kick that should never have been awarded, the other against a Pedro side which had been decimated by apathy and injury.

Whoever the Board choose will receive my full support though.

There speaks…… the voice of reason………

Makes perfect sense and wanted Deek before Pedro….

Anyway can we now get him in and start funding and supporting him properly and give him the chance to do what he has been threatening to do for almost 5 years!

Challenge the Eastenders!

Welcome back Deek!

Capture.JPG

Next Rangers boss: The case for Derek McInnes

November 2, 2017

By Ally Brown | Guest Contributor

It's not easy to get Rangers fans to agree, but I'm sure we would all unite as one if Walter Smith announced he was bored of crosswords and Countdown and was craving a return to the Ibrox dugout. Sadly we have to accept that's not going to happen, now or in the future, so perhaps we should be asking the question: who is the next Walter Smith?

Hear me out: it might be Derek McInnes. It might not be, but let me make his case.

Whether you think it's important or not that we hire a British manager, or a Rangers man, McInnes ticks those boxes. There is no chance that a man who was born and raised a Bear and who won a league in our shirt would have any misunderstandings about what the club means and what the fans expect. McInnes knows all about the club and the league already. Any new Walter Smith would need to be a Rangers man at heart and - as far as we can tell - McInnes is that.

But so is Ally McCoist and so are me and you and we don't deserve the job. So let's look at the far more important factor of McInnes's record as a manager.

Some fans are downplaying what he's done at Aberdeen, as if it's only natural that they'd be the second best team in the country without us. But Aberdeen had been terrible for 20 years before McInnes came in. In the four seasons before McInnes arrived they finished 9th, 9th, 9th and 8th. And in the four seasons since? 3rd - and a trophy - 2nd, 2nd and 2nd. That's a huge turnaround.

He has turned Aberdeen into a points-winning machine. He's turned them into us, or what we used to be. This season, they're on 26 points from 11 matches - that would usually be called title-winning form. Celtic are on their best run for 100 years, and Aberdeen are one solitary point behind them.

Last year they won 76 points and got to two cup finals, their best season since they won the league in 1984-85 under Fergie. In the summer they lost their two best attackers and their captain, and they brought in five to six new players, and it's been a seamless transition: last year was their best season in 30 years and this year, they're even better.

He's done this with very average players. Are any of their players going to ever play in the EPL? I doubt it. Are any of them ever going to play for Scotland? Maybe a couple will get a handful of caps at most. It's not a dream team. In 1985 they had Alex McLeish and Willie Miller in front of Jim Leighton, players who are among Scotland's all-time greats, never mind Aberdeen's. Now they're relentlessly hoovering up points with Mark Reynolds and Greg Tansey.

We keep saying this is what we need: we need a team that's reliable enough to beat all the other teams every week, rack up the points, and then we'll deal with Celtic one-to-one. That's where Aberdeen are already. And yes, it's true that one-to-one, Aberdeen keep failing against Celtic.

But perhaps that is because Celtic have a massive budget that completely overwhelms Aberdeen's? Celtic have spent more on a one-season loan fee for one player than McInnes has spent on his entire squad. Give McInnes a bigger budget and better players, and of course he'll be able to do better in one-off games against them.

He has moulded an efficient, winning team out of a squad of average players on a budget about a quarter of ours. Wherever he can take Aberdeen, he can take us a lot further. And he's taken Aberdeen as close to Celtic as it's plausible to get for that money.

[/iframe]" data-provider-name="YouTube" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1509610680115_118" style="position: absolute; top: 0px; left: 0px; width: 320px; height: 179.859px;">
Walter Smith had no record as a manager before he became ours. So there is more evidence in favour of McInnes than there was in favour of Smith in 1991. And Walter himself approves. McInnes is a pragmatic boss who can build a relentlessly winning team on a limited budget, and he's also a Rangers man. Why would we look anywhere else?

Tagged: First Team

17 Likes

Older PostPedro Caixinha's reign encapsulated by drab Killie draw
Copyright 2017 • The Rangers Observer

Is Moodyblue banned by the way? Or has he burst his scrotum with his constant tugging at it while whimpering that he doesn't want McInnes? Don't think I've seen him post all day.
How come nae body missed me when I was banned over the weekend.?
Bobby Shearer went quiet too.Havent seen the boogie man for ages.

Ok. One more time: cut and paste poet-infested broadsheets. Rangers friendly sites give them the hits guys. come on.

I gave up reading that where it said he had turned Aberdeen into us.
Rangers don't do second to Celtic. End of.

Back