dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
34 years ago today.

The Cooper free kick.
The Trevor Francis penalty.
Durrant magnificence.

Rangers without the suspended Woods and Butcher were suspect at the back, but played some outstanding football middle to front. And deserved the win, even if Bob Valentine did his best to stop it.

Has there been a more exciting Cup final?

The old adage of "a great game for the neutral" has never been so evident. A terrific game of football with two very good sides.

Durrant's goal is often overlooked, understandably given THAT free kick, but it was a thing of beauty.

Still remember having panic attacks when Francis stood ready to take his penalty!

34 years ago today.

The Cooper free kick.
Durrant magnificence.

Rangers without the suspended Woods and Butcher were suspect at the back, but played some outstanding football middle to front. And deserved the win, even if Bob Valentine did his best to stop it.

A wonderful match and deserved victory

Only final to beat it is the SCF 2002 with Lovenkrands goal in injury time

The old adage of "a great game for the neutral" has never been so evident. A terrific game of football with two very good sides.

Durrant's goal is often overlooked, understandably given THAT free kick, but it was a thing of beauty.

Still remember having panic attacks when Francis stood ready to take his penalty!
Was in the Rangers end behind the goal that day.
I could have posted this word for word mate.

Best cup final I've ever attended. First 20 minutes was all Aberdeen, Rangers took over for the next hour, they scored a couple late on and appeared to have won it, then we equalised and should have won before the penalties. It wasn't just the drama, the standard of play from both sides was first class. Cooper's and Durrant's goals were the icing on the cake. Great memories!

34 years ago today.

The Cooper free kick.
Durrant magnificence.

Fantastic game of football.

Reactions: ao2
My first cup final a few days before my 13th birthday.
Honestly feared the worst when Falconer scored to put them up 3-2.
The cup final the following year against them was a good one as well, I think we played them 3 years in a row in the league Cup final with them winning the 3rd one

When this game comes up my Dad always talks about one thing.

The Cooper freekick? Woods's saves? Francis's cool penalty?

No. When Durrant scored the winner, a black Rangers fan next to my Dad kissed and hugged him. He never fails to mention it. I'm certain it's given him a complex.

Brilliant game of football, can still hear the net getting hit at that free kick ,take note all of you that have been slating Alfie lately with his missing the target, super, yes old Ally missed a couple of good chances in that game, just as well the internet wasn’t about when Ally was playing, he’d be crucified most games

A lump in my throat watching the majestic displays of Cooper and Durrant. As an adult, my two favourite players (as a boy Colin Stein and Dave Smith).

34 years ago today.

The Cooper free kick.
Durrant magnificence.

My favourite cup final ever

I was in the family section behind the goal with both sets of supporters mixing. You wouldn’t get that now.

The stress and excitement during that game was through the roof,I had to to the top of the Rangers end to calm down for 5 minutes before re entering the pressure cooker of an atmosphere.

My first cup final a few days before my 13th birthday.
Honestly feared the worst when Falconer scored to put them up 3-2.
The cup final the following year against them was a good one as well, I think we played them 3 years in a row in the league Cup final with them winning the 3rd one
They were a decent side back then to be fair

My first cup final. Had just turned 11 and my old Grandpa took me. Section M in what is now the North Stand. Great game of football looking back but I just remember being really nervous all game.

34 years ago today.

The Cooper free kick.
Durrant magnificence.

Mt first Hampden visit - what a baptism! Durrant was absolute class that day

It was recognised at the time as being a great match but as the years have passed and games with such excitement, quality of football and the momentum swinging from one side to the other have become so few & far between then I’m so grateful to have actually been at this match.

We were in the Family Section - just up around the corner of the terrace behind where Cooper’s free kick went in. I had a great view of that, and Durrant’s goal.
Shite view of the penalties mind you but you could see the Rangers end erupt as they went in.

Fantastic cup final wee Durrant ran the show,the thug Faulkner could have ended his career with his assault on him unfortunately his rhat faced team mate Simpson achieved soon after,I alway wondered on how far Ian would have went in football if that monster hadn’t finished him.

What I’d give to have a player like Durrant in the current side, bursting forward and linking with the front players, ghosting into the box from midfield. 15 goals a season from a midfielder would be nice. Fk knows how much he’d be worth today pre injury. Remember watching this in the house as me and my old man couldn’t get a ticket. Some good games in those days for about 5 or 6 years against the sheep, late 80’s/early 90’s.

Always remember my legs being like jelly come penalties due to the excitement of a truly great game
The Fleck Durrant Super combination to waltz through a great Aberdeen defence is a thing of beauty
Was glad to see Nichols miss his spot kick as he was the sheeps big signing and im sure he had a bit of previous with Souness

Watched that game at a workmate sheep supporter's house. Drank almost a whole slab of Becks that day during the game, drank the 24th bottle on the way home to my parents' gaff.

Remember the day well, if not the actual match. Only remember two things from the game itself. Firstly, Cooper's goal and, secondly, Joe the dip aiming a sectarian slur at the Rangers bench. Funny what sticks in your mind.

I remember that game well, watching it from the Rangers end. Terrific atmosphere.

And despite Aberdeen taking the lead twice during the game, I distinctly recall not being in the least worried about the eventual outcome. Aberdeen had the better goalkeeper that day, but we just had too many gifted outfield players for them.

Great days.

I played across the road at the Toryglen pitches that morning, up the road to get changed and then back over to Hampden for the game. And what a game.

If anyone is in any doubt about the talent that was Ian Durrant, get that game on and see an absolute masterclass. He was magnificent in that game.

I was in the Rangers end that day and can still hear the 'thwack' as Coop's rocket hit the net.

The crowd wass in suspended animation before we realised it was a goal.

As for Durrant's goal. That is as sublime a team goal, and how fast it happened as I'm ever likely to see. It was quicksilver.

Back