Offside rule & not blowing the whistle

Encourages players to play to the whistle, it may work in our favour.

I’ve seen it work where whole teams (and the linesman) think an attacker is offside, he puts the ball in the net but VAR give it.

I understand the injury concerns etc though.

Loads of favourites in there ties going out tonight Hoffenheim Leicester Leverkusen and Napoli all heading out tournament could really open up with a decent draw

It's totally bizarre, if the player is blatantly offside the flag should go up.

If they are going to keep it this way they should bring in a time keeper to accurately add on the time wasted by it.

I thought it was only when it was not clear and obvious and the first time the ball is touched after the offside move. This linesman was just miles out tonight - not even sure the rules were the problem with him.

Someone please tell me the linesman was telling the ref in his ear that he had an off-side to flag. Surely he can’t just let it go until play stops! Although technically play didn’t stop once shagger had it.

I was going nuts. What’s the point in carrying on when it was so clear?

Someone is going to get injured.

I dont understand it. The black guy was 3 yards offside. No flag.

Giroud on Tuesday the flag was straight up yet he was onside.

No consistency
The flag only when straight up with Giroud as the ball went straight into the net so no need to play on.

Ridiculous change. It does absolutely nothing but put players at risk. The guy will miles offside yet they let him run in on goal and force our players to engage in the play when it was always going to be pulled up.

If it is because of VAR then that will only cause confusion for everyone as VAR is not used in every comp.

Someone is going to get injured.

I dont understand it. The black guy was 3 yards offside. No flag.

Giroud on Tuesday the flag was straight up yet he was onside.

No consistency
It's a sham. Its changing the game to suit var. I wish they'd get var to f**k but they won't as it will come in handy for fitting an ad or 2 whilst everybody sits about waiting to celebrate or not.

I'll never change my opinion on it, worst thing ever introduced to football.

bX8O3MY.gif

That's a nightmare to watch as a football fan. The one in the second half where you think he is clearly off yet the linesman has a flag down. He then is striaght through and you assume it is a goal for them . All the time the linesman knew he was offside . It makes no sense.

The rule from ten years ago was straight forward, this is madness.

Agreed, the one when the guy ended up 1-1 with McGregor is a joke. If he thinks he needs to stop him he might injure himself and it's not even a chance.
Exact this, it’s going to happen that a player will get injured when the game should have been stopped, it’s a pathetic rule, particularly when it’s as obvious as tonight.

What’s the point in a linesman being there if he is just letting the game run, ref would be as well just checking var every time. Stupid when it’s a clear decision.

If it’s clearly offside and the linesman knows 100% it was then just stick the flag up. If he’s not sure then ok let it play out. Tonight’s in the 2nd half was 100% offside which he would have seen but chose to let it play out which could have resulted in injury.

It is a shit approach now for Assistant Referees as that is what they are told to do.

My issue with it is this:

If the player that is offside is the ONLY player that can become active in the play then the flag should go up. If there are two players that might become active then I am fine with the flag staying down and letting things play out.

To lose a key player to an injury or collision due to this stupid law is ridiculous and could derail a team's season.

Agreed, the one when the guy ended up 1-1 with McGregor is a joke. If he thinks he needs to stop him he might injure himself and it's not even a chance.
Plus the fact I nearly had a heart attack when I seen the player in so much space in front of goal!

It does make sense with VAR because if the linesman flagged offside but the player was onside, it's a cock up.

However when a player is 10 yards offside just blow the fucking whistle!

If the linesman is to wait untill play is over incase var checks it you may aswell do away with the linesman and have var do it all.

Its turning into a bit of a farce. Play going on for a good while when guys about 5 yards offside.

If it's a close call and needs VAR to clarify then it works OK but when it's yards offside and obvious there is absolutely no need for it.

Probably going to take somebody getting seriously injured for them to change it though.

Back