O'Higgins FC of Chile

Yes mate. Youre 100% right. Theres a big statue of him in Valparaso at his tomb that over looks the ocean. Its visited by millions of tourists every year.
My wifes cousin is the Navys highest ranked submarine officer in Chile.

There’s also a Chilean flag flying in the middle of Culross in Fife, along with a bust of the man himself.

O'Higgins strip for today's match against Huachipato:

DznelC8XcAARVH5.jpg:large

highlighter pen pink, incase the floodlights go out.

Before I arrived here I spent 10 years in Liverpool, 3 years in Sanfransisco, 1.5 years in Australia, and 1.5 years in Spain.
No family here until i got married and our son was born. Ive a very active life here, I ski in the winter and surf in the summer. The weather is superb. Its 38 here today.
No bad for a wee boy who went to the wee school facing the main stand.
I always find your contributions interesting mate.
Whenever Chile gets mentioned I always think about you.
A Bear in Chile. :D

Reactions: jtc
This was the man that the hero of Captain and Commander was reputed to be based upon.
Cochrane was the real deal as the commander of a ship and reputed to have won all of his sea battles during the Napoleonic wars.
Yes, the famous sea captain was another Jock.

John Paul Jones of Kirkbean Dumfriesshire was one of the original US Navy commanders he was also ex Royal Navy and IIRC was in the Russian Navy also. Read his book years ago what a character!

John Paul Jones of Kirkbean Dumfriesshire was one of the original US Navy commanders he was also ex Royal Navy and IIRC was in the Russian Navy also. Read his book years ago what a character!
Yes, there have been some very influential sailors who came out of Scotland.

This was the man that the hero of Captain and Commander was reputed to be based upon.
Cochrane was the real deal as the commander of a ship and reputed to have won all of his sea battles during the Napoleonic wars.
As was John Paul Jones founder of the US Navy amazing for such a small nation

Pal from Chile sends me some stuff about Chilean fitba and Rangers de Talca, follow them on Twitter and Facebook too

I always find your contributions interesting mate.
Whenever Chile gets mentioned I always think about you.
A Bear in Chile. :D
Thanks BB for your fine words.I do enjoy helping out on here when Alfie needs a translator. Ill miss that when he leaves:(

Pal from Chile sends me some stuff about Chilean fitba and Rangers de Talca, follow them on Twitter and Facebook too
Is said pal Chilean or Scottish? If hes Scottish ýou might not see him for a while as hes just got a Chilean burd up the duff.

Thanks BB for your fine words.I do enjoy helping out on here when Alfie needs a translator. Ill miss that when he leaves:(

Is said pal Chilean or Scottish? If hes Scottish ýou might not see him for a while as hes just got a Chilean burd up the duff.
She is una Shilena so no getting any burds up the duff!!!

Been talking to her online for more than 13 year noo since i started learning Spanish and have quite a few books that she has sent me fae Chile and loads of the Condorito comics
Good stuff mate. If you like Conderito ask her about Papelucho. Its another Chilean comic/story.

Before I arrived here I spent 10 years in Liverpool, 3 years in Sanfransisco, 1.5 years in Australia, and 1.5 years in Spain.
No family here until i got married and our son was born. Ive a very active life here, I ski in the winter and surf in the summer. The weather is superb. Its 38 here today.
No bad for a wee boy who went to the wee school facing the main stand.
But most importantly,you never forgot the Rangers.we truly are,the people

Yes mate. Youre 100% right. Theres a big statue of him in Valparaso at his tomb that over looks the ocean. Its visited by millions of tourists every year.
We as a small nation have contributed so much to the rest of the world both military and engineering wise.

Bilkobear, you are absolutely correct,Jack Aubrey is based on Cochrane and a few other captains.The final novel "Blue at the Mizzen" recreates the founding of the Chilean Navy substituting Aubrey for Cochrane it is a wonderful read. Chilebear would love it.

We as a small nation have contributed so much to the rest of the world both military and engineering wise.
Yes we have. Britain helps the Chilean army a lot. They do a lot of training together in the north of Chile. Pinochet formed a great relationship with us.

Yes we have. Britain helps the Chilean army a lot. They do a lot of training together in the north of Chile. Pinochet formed a great relationship with us.
It was from Chile that the SAS were going to cross the border into Argentina to monitor their aircraft movements and cause general mischief, during the Falklands War.

...or Jack, as the case may be :)

It was from Chile that the SAS were going to cross the border into Argentina to monitor their aircraft movements and cause general mischief, during the Falklands War.
Yes, and Pinochet let us park some aircraft here Incase we needed to attack Argentina from the west.

Yes, and Pinochet let us park some aircraft here Incase we needed to attack Argentina from the west.

If you don’t mind me asking mate what is it you do for work? Would you say in comparison to most native Chileans you are ‘wealthy’.

Fascinating life choice mate, I am very jealous.

Right c'mon for the next game against the unwashed we want a photo of the statue with a Rangers scarf on

My cousin was out in Chile teaching in Antofagasta I think it was called. She married a local and they moved back home to Devon and he won the World Cornish Pasty making championship making a empanada.
True story

Last edited:
I was there around 74-82 I think.
Fans talk about their first trip to see the Rangers.
For me Rangers was growing up seeing our stadium everyday, and watching it change through the years.
Standing in Ibrox Primary school, looking through the fence on the wall at players coming in and out of Ibrox everyday was amazing.
Getting lifts over the turnstyle for every game. Having a kick about with some of the players in the Edmiston house car park with some players when they were heading out of Ibrox.
Great times for a local lad.

Did you end up at Bellahouston? I went to Craigton primary and on to Penilee for 2 years then Bellahouston. I was in 3rd and 4th year 87 and 88 I think.

How do you get a name like Bernardo O’Higgins?

Sonds like his old man got about a bit.:oops:

Last edited:
Back