Ojo today

So your happy to discount his work at the 4th goal to make a point that is utterly ripped apart by his work at the 4th goal?

Seems fair. :rolleyes:
It is fair when he demonstrates he is capable why shouldn't he apply himself in other moments?

It is fair when he demonstrates he is capable why should he apply himself in other moments?
You've said all you saw yesterday was him not being gutsy enough.
This in spite of you admitting he was at the 4th goal.

You don't think he's good enough, fine.
Try to lay off just making things up though.

Some of the opinions on this thread are absolutely howling.

Ojo is the best we have in that position for the style we played for the first three quarters of the game. Stewart suited the style we played the last quarter.

The people who find it acceptable to abuse our players are actively harming our chances to win the league and have been warned off doing it by our management staff. This makes them utter clowns.

Ojo suited the style? You do realise he came off the bench?

I’d love to know how Ojo suits any style we play as so far he’s been a poor signing that has rarely contributed.

We badly need Jones to step up in that position or we need a new right winger. Ojo won’t do

You've said all you saw yesterday was him not being gutsy enough.
This in spite of you admitting he was at the 4th goal.

You don't think he's good enough, fine.
Try to lay off just making things up though.
I've not made anything up.
My opinion of him is he is far too inconsistent. Lacks good decision making and gets pinged off the ball too easily.
If you go back to other threads you'll find my opinion has been this way for a long time.

Truth is, he has been poor for us

Not taking anything away from his goal against Feyenoord but that was another poor performance from him aside from the goal.

He’s just not giving us enough.

A goal every four games for someone who isn't a regular starter and has begun less than half of our games this year as well as a 1 in 3 assist return suggests he's better than poor. He's been alright and has numbers that Kent could only dream of in December last year (and I was a big fan of Kent from the off)

You can't talk down a match winning goal just to suit an agenda.

How about

"Despite not being at his best, he still won Rangers the match with a great strike and played his role in the Gaffers plan for the game"

instead of

"Aye, he scored a goal but %^*& sake, he didn't score two. Bloody primadonna on tens of thousands a week thinks he's made it already"

No one is saying he's a World beater but people look at actively want him to fail at this stage to back their point up and will do anything to deny his achievements. It's pathetic.

Egil Ostenstaad was poor for Rangers. A guy scoring winning goals in EL group games for us and playing a part in a team joint top of both that group and the league is a fair step up from poor as far as I see it.

The frustration with Ojo is his distinct lack of passion, commitment, dig! He’s a big strong physical specimen with pace to burn, but seems to do everything as if he is merely going through the motions.

it almost suggests that he thinks he’s doing us a favour being at the club and that his career will thrive whether he cuts it with us or not. I think the manager requires to have word with him about his attitude and application, if not I suspect he will continue in the same vane.

Yes Kent took time, but he was running through brick walls for the jersey and always looked as if it was a privilege to wear it! Ojo does not give that impression if I am being honest and that’s why I think he gets more of his share of derision from our support.

I've not made anything up.
My opinion of him is he is far too inconsistent. Lacks good decision making and gets pinged off the ball too easily.
If you go back to other threads you'll find my opinion has been this way for a long time.
Let's try and make this easy.
You said all you saw yesterday was him not being gutsy enough, correct?

Is that the case for his contribution to the 4th goal?
A simple yes or no will suffice.

I’d love to know how Ojo suits any style we play as so far he’s been a poor signing that has rarely contributed.

We badly need Jones to step up in that position or we need a new right winger. Ojo won’t do

Even in context most have now seen what shite, not good enough and poor looks like.

It is Seb Faure, it is David Templeton, it is Ian Black.

What we are seeing this season, the makeup of the squad and the results the squad are putting together isn't shite, there is little poor about what is being built this season and the manager who has built that has seen and decided the contribution of Ojo IS a part of that.

The new right winger we need is quite feasibly out of our budget if we wish to retain Morelos and turn down bids of 20 million, or buy CB like Hellander

There has rarely, if ever, been a time we had a squad of 20 players chipping in with solid contributions every week.

The last league we won we had players the ilk of Hutton, Foster and Gregg Wylde playing - Ojo is putting in a better season than any of the 3 did

Last edited:
Let's try and make this easy.
You said all you saw yesterday was him not being gutsy enough, correct?

Is that the case for his contribution to the 4th goal?
A simple yes or no will suffice.
Jesus!
Just because he does it once in one game does not exonerate him from all the rest of my opinion.
Bore off!!!

Jesus!
Just because he does it once in one game does not exonerate him from all the rest of my opinion.
Bore off!!!

"All I saw yesterday"

Why would I discuss any other game?

Do try to keep up with your own posts.

A goal every four games for someone who isn't a regular starter and has begun less than half of our games this year as well as a 1 in 3 assist return suggests he's better than poor. He's been alright and has numbers that Kent could only dream of in December last year (and I was a big fan of Kent from the off)

You can't talk down a match winning goal just to suit an agenda.

How about

"Despite not being at his best, he still won Rangers the match with a great strike and played his role in the Gaffers plan for the game"

instead of

"Aye, he scored a goal but %^*& sake, he didn't score two. Bloody primadonna on tens of thousands a week thinks he's made it already"

No one is saying he's a World beater but people look at actively want him to fail at this stage to back their point up and will do anything to deny his achievements. It's pathetic.

Egil Ostenstaad was poor for Rangers. A guy scoring winning goals in EL group games for us and playing a part in a team joint top of both that group and the league is a fair step up from poor as far as I see it.

Numbers in terms of assists/goals should always be taken with an asterisk next to them

For example, quoting Kent’s last year is ridiculous considering Kent is at the heart of most of our attacking moves. He may not play the final pass for an assist but 8/10 he’ll have been involved in the build up.

You can’t say the same for Ojo as he’s been poor for us let’s not dress it up any other way. He’s been by and large one of our poorer performers this season.

Early in the season we seen the impact Jones was having in games and effort, we’ve seen it from Kent and I hoped we’d see similar levels of quality and effort from Ojo but I don’t.

If he stays beyond January I’ll be shocked

The frustration with Ojo is his distinct lack of passion, commitment, dig! He’s a big strong physical specimen with pace to burn, but seems to do everything as if he is merely going through the motions.

it almost suggests that he thinks he’s doing us a favour being at the club and that his career will thrive whether he cuts it with us or not.
I think the manager requires to have word with him about his attitude and application, if not I suspect he will continue in the same vane.

Yes Kent took time, but he was running through brick walls for the jersey and always looked as if it was a privilege to wear it! Ojo does not give that impression if I am being honest and that’s why I think he gets more of his share of derision from our support.

He dug in and flattened one of their players yesterday and got an assist for the 4th goal.

People just want to ignore it and continue to post the same things they've thought since their initial impressions were planted.

Bloody body language experts.

Here's an idea. Why dont we get rid of steven Gerrard as theres plenty jobs going in the EPL and that will save the club a fortune.
The club can then ask members of this forum who seem to know better and offer them the job. Everything sorted,league in the bag,possibly winning the EC
And ojo told to head back down south with gerrard.
To give a player a hard time even when hes just on the park is poor. Not everyone is thick skinned and all I can say is thank feck ally mccoist was,because the abuse he took,when the crowd was singing for him to get to feck was shameful.
As I said earlier,ojos getting it now,but if he leaves someone will take his place as scapegoat.
Having just seen ojo at goal,to say he pushed him away is a bit of an exaggeration. Looking for something against him that wasn't there.

Lads no got the minerals for us. He is very similar to Grezda, in that they’re both pish.

He dug in and flattened one of their players yesterday and got an assist for the 4th goal.

People just want to ignore it and continue to post the same things they've thought since their initial impressions were planted.

Bloody body language experts.

Thats your opinion! I don’t believe that Ojo gives anything approaching his all for the club, I am not ignoring his contribution, just highlighting that he is not performing close to his true potential and if he was there would be zero negativity toward him!

Numbers in terms of assists/goals should always be taken with an asterisk next to them

For example, quoting Kent’s last year is ridiculous considering Kent is at the heart of most of our attacking moves. He may not play the final pass for an assist but 8/10 he’ll have been involved in the build up.

You can’t say the same for Ojo as he’s been poor for us let’s not dress it up any other way. He’s been by and large one of our poorer performers this season.

Early in the season we seen the impact Jones was having in games and effort, we’ve seen it from Kent and I hoped we’d see similar levels of quality and effort from Ojo but I don’t.

If he stays beyond January I’ll be shocked

Agreed, stats aren't everthing.

However, Kent is NOW at the heart of everything. In his first five months, he most certainly wasn't. He looked an exciting player, certainly, but he injured twice in the opening period of the season and didn't fully arrive until the Ryan Jack winning game against Celtic at Ibrox and then he was flying for the rest of the season.

People expect Ojo to be at that level immediately and conveniently ignore the time it took the likes of Kent and Barisic and Jack to get to the levels they're now at.

Agreed, stats aren't everthing.

However, Kent is NOW at the heart of everything. In his first five months, he most certainly wasn't. He looked an exciting player, certainly, but he injured twice in the opening period of the season and didn't fully arrive until the Ryan Jack winning game against Celtic at Ibrox and then he was flying for the rest of the season.

People expect Ojo to be at that level immediately and conveniently ignore the time it took the likes of Kent and Barisic and Jack to get to the levels they're now at.

As I previously wrote, Kent was not as effective as he became but gave the impression he’d run through brick walls for the jersey...Ojo does not give that impression, I don’t think he gets the enormity of the club in the manner that Kent did.

Last edited:
Or if you break down the stats it shows that he's done a lot of that against part timers in the Europa League or he's contributed in league games where the game is already done.

Anyone saying he's been anything other than poor hasn't got a clue.

He scored a goal in each of the ties against St Joseph's.

Other than that he's scored two against Mitjedlland and Feyenoord and got two assists in that first of those two in the home win. He was involved in all three goals that night with a goal and two assists to kill what everyone has said was a tricky tie and a great win.

No game we've been involved in has been "already done" this season.

We're chasing goals and the two after 60 minutes yesterday are hugely important for us in terms of keeping us within touching distance of Celtic.

Seems strange that Greg Stewart hasn't been criticised for "only scoring goals in games which are done" - He's very much the epitomy of someone was has "proven his worth for a start" according to many. Ojo does the same and "the game was done"

That's a bit of a contradiction to your point about when Ojo has scored his goals and their value.

Ojo 25 games 5 goals and 7 asissts
Jones 10 games 0 goals and 1 assist
Stewart 14 games 3 goals and 4 assists
Kent 10 games 2 goals and 1 assist
Barker 8 games 1 goal and 0 assists
Arfield 26 games 2 goals and 3 assists

He's not been poor. He's just not been Kent levels of excellent but he's still our top scoring wide player and you can't write off the importance of the numbers he's added to us this season compared to Candieas last year for example (and I was a big Candyman fan)

How long ago was that? It's basically all he's done for us.

Obviously not...but people using Ojo's stats to somehow prove that he's did well for us is misleading. He's like a man down at times and if he's the man we're going to stick with all season we'll be in trouble.

Look across the city. They have Forrest, Elyounoussi, Sinclair, Christie, Johnston and probably a few others. I'd take every one of them over Ojo at this moment in time and he's usually a starter for us.

Or fans can see that we've 'achieved' all of that despite carrying a passenger or two along the way.

If Ojo is struggling for confidence (which he clearly is) then maybe Gerrard should take him out the firing line if he can't cope.

He's not been starting every game recently though. His form has dipped the last couple of months but he's been in and out the team.

Kent and Jones being injured along with Arfield going through a terrible patch of form has seen Ojo get a lot of game time whether it's starts or sub appearances.

It's not as of Gerrard is starting him every single game irrespective of form or who's available. He's getting a lot of game time simply due to circumstances.

If we end up hounding him out of the club as well after the way our fans turned on Ejaria too what do you think our reputation is going to be like with Liverpools fringe players and the Liverpool hierarchy as well? Maybe something for the idiots who hurl the mindless abuse to bear in mind.

Pains me to say it as we all have
There's the rub mate.We were raving about him,he does have the ability but he needs to buck up on his attitude at times and I think that's the reason some supporters get frustrated.
Absolutely accept that bud but if he's not showing the required desire in games then the manager shouldn't be playing him, i wouldn't play him just now until i could see his confidence coming back, our home support are a tough crowd at times but they're not helping the boy by howling at him after his first mistake.

Are you one of these ancient ‘angry’ types?

The manager and Beale have come out asking the howling to stop but you don’t give a %^*& about that do you?

He's already said he pays his money so he'll do what he wants despite, as you say, SG & Beale appealing for a bit of patience.

I'm not naive enough to think every player is going to be loved by all but the screams of abuse at Ojo etc. are way ott and basically pointless/counterproductive. Do those doing it think screaming & swearing at him after a misplaced pass will make his next attempt Messi-esque?

He's not the best but the flak he is getting is clearly getting to him.

At the moment he is one of our own and we need to back him.

Yeah he clearly suits space to run in as opposed to playing through packed areas. Saying Ojo doesn't suit any style and that he's 'rarely contributed' shows the level of discussion you're capable of.

I mean, look at the raging hard on you've had all the way through the thread, trying your best to prove to people why we should also be tadgers and moan and groan at the boy.

You give your opinion as it's fact but it's not respected by any of our management team who have asked for a bit of patience, and have been refused from people who think they know better but clearly don't.

To be clear, I also think we need better for a right winger, but while hes the best we've got I'm going to do my best to keep off his back.

He scored a goal in each of the ties against St Joseph's.

Other than that he's scored two against Mitjedlland and Feyenoord and got two assists in that first of those two in the home win. He was involved in all three goals that night with a goal and two assists to kill what everyone has said was a tricky tie and a great win.

No game we've been involved in has been "already done" this season.

We're chasing goals and the two after 60 minutes yesterday are hugely important for us in terms of keeping us within touching distance of Celtic.

Seems strange that Greg Stewart hasn't been criticised for "only scoring goals in games which are done" - He's very much the epitomy of someone was has "proven his worth for a start" according to many. Ojo does the same and "the game was done"

That's a bit of a contradiction to your point about when Ojo has scored his goals and their value.

Ojo 25 games 5 goals and 7 asissts
Jones 10 games 0 goals and 1 assist
Stewart 14 games 3 goals and 4 assists
Kent 10 games 2 goals and 1 assist
Barker 8 games 1 goal and 0 assists
Arfield 26 games 2 goals and 3 assists

He's not been poor. He's just not been Kent levels of excellent but he's still our top scoring wide player and you can't write off the importance of the numbers he's added to us this season compared to Candieas last year for example (and I was a big Candyman fan)

If you just want to boil football down to stats such as goals and assists then it would appear that Ojo is better than Kent. In reality there's absolute light years between them.

Some of the opinions on this thread are absolutely howling.

Ojo is the best we have in that position for the style we played for the first three quarters of the game. Stewart suited the style we played the last quarter.

The people who find it acceptable to abuse our players are actively harming our chances to win the league and have been warned off doing it by our management staff. This makes them utter clowns.

When is the last time Ojo had a good game? He scored a screamer against Feyenoord but apart from that he was like a man down in that game. Jogging back towards the later stages and not tracking his man etc.

If we end up hounding him out of the club as well after the way our fans turned on Ejaria too what do you think our reputation is going to be like with Liverpools fringe players and the Liverpool hierarchy as well? Maybe something for the idiots who hurl the mindless abuse to bear in mind.

Not really what happened though is it? He simply couldn't handle the pressure of playing for a big club. Tough. If anything we did Liverpool a favour by showing them that.

Is it just me or was Ojo's reaction after the last 2 goals (particularly the 4th) one of a man who is unhappy?

He did really well to win the ball back, arguable should have squared it the first place but had a wee pop at goal which we can't complain at I guess, but he was practically pushing Stewart off him when he went to thank/celebrate with him.

Personally not a fan of that reaction and i'd prefer to see any of Stewart, Arfield or Aribo on that right hand side slot if that's his attitude given that he isn't setting the heather alight.
Exactly what I took from it he’s unhappy,doesn’t want to be here. Imo he’s not good enough to be here anyway.

Treatment of him yesterday was shocking and some of the comments on this thread even worse. At least the reaction to his 1 bad pass at the game yesterday was in heat of the moment. I’m not surprised the guy feels low and doesn’t feel like celebrating.

Achieves square root of f*ck all getting on his back.

Worst of the groans yesterday was for 1 poor pass, when we were 3-0 up! Not even prepared to get behind him and try and help his confidence when in comfortable lead

Unfortunately it will always be there and he’ll need to play through it to be a success here.

He’s definitely got positive attributes. His performances have been poor and his confidence is now shot to bits. Gerrard and his team rate him, that’s enough for me to get behind the guy.

He just is not consistent enough. However, that doesn't merit abuse if that's what he is getting.
The pressure of playing for us, especially this year, is tough. Sadly, if he can't handle it then he needs to be benched. As many have said we simply can't afford any luxury players at the minute. Every game feels like a cup final as we know that any dropped points could be fatal. That's just the position we are in.

Yeah but I’ve never called him a fraud/imposter/or a waste of space so you don’t really have any point to make there do you?

You did say when he starts it’s like starting with a man down, could be likened to a waste of space.

Again, the irony of you having a go at some for their treatment of Ojo, when you have been the cheerleader for the constant slating of Arfield.

It’s nice to see you have retreated in your criticism after Gerrards statement though. You know what they say about karma, eh?

You did say when he starts it’s like starting with a man down, could be likened to a waste of space.

Again, the irony of you having a go at some for their treatment of Ojo, when you have been the cheerleader for the constant slating of Arfield.

It’s nice to see you have retreated in your criticism after Gerrards statement though. You know what they say about karma, eh?

“Could be likened”, yeah maybe if you’re a simpleton it could, but the fact remains I didn’t say that pal.

There is no irony because I haven’t launched a tirade of venomous abuse or unnecessarily nasty comments at Arfield, a player who I have always stated that I admired. And yeah I said his lack of form would be forgivable if he’s had personal issues, why wouldn’t I say that? It’s what any decent person would do.

I’m really not sure where karma comes into it though, seeing as I’ve experienced no bad karma. The main take away from this back and forth is that you seem to have a real issues with reading and interpreting basic English. Why don’t you give it up before you make it even worse for yourself.

“Could be likened”, yeah maybe if you’re a simpleton it could, but the fact remains I didn’t say that pal.

There is no irony because I haven’t launched a tirade of venomous abuse or unnecessarily nasty comments at Arfield, a player who I have always stated that I admired. And yeah I said his lack of form would be forgivable if he’s had personal issues, why wouldn’t I say that? It’s what any decent person would do.

I’m really not sure where karma comes into it though, seeing as I’ve experienced no bad karma. The main take away from this back and forth is that you seem to have a real issues with reading and interpreting basic English. Why don’t you give it up before you make it even worse for yourself.

Sorry about my bad English, can you confirm if your last sentence is a question or not?

There are potential longer term repercussion of abusing players, especially loan players.

Just now, Ejaria is seen as a 1 off. However, if Ojo goes back as well complaining about the support & how it's not a conducive environment for young guys to learn in, then this potentially hurts us longer term for getting loans in, especially from Liverpool, or potentially signing some youngsters permanently.

If they want a loan placement where they can come/go through the emotions, take part in games regardless of results and learn - then they can fück off to Aberdeen.

If they want to maximise the opportunity and make the most of the stage they are given to show the world (and their own clubs) what they believe they really can do on the pitch - then welcome to the party!

Our demands are high. Very high! They need to be. Success is the only thing that matters.

If you just want to boil football down to stats such as goals and assists then it would appear that Ojo is better than Kent. In reality there's absolute light years between them.

When is the last time Ojo had a good game? He scored a screamer against Feyenoord but apart from that he was like a man down in that game. Jogging back towards the later stages and not tracking his man etc.

Not really what happened though is it? He simply couldn't handle the pressure of playing for a big club. Tough. If anything we did Liverpool a favour by showing them that.

Ojo was 7-8/10 at Hampden against Hearts. He shows something of quality in most games he plays, but I accept that its mixed in with some poor decisions, slack passes, and lapses in concentration.

The people who are adamant that he contributes nothing are actual clowns.

I don’t think the manager is helping this situation when continually playing a guy who we can see clearly has not deserved as many chances. The crowd (any crowd) will eventually turn on the player in this situation.

There are several players in our squad who have played better than Ojo when getting a chance but don’t get the second chances he has. The crowd can see all this and are getting frustrated. I don’t think it’s particularly unique to our crowd. It’s not as if he was getting this from the beginning - it’s the culmination of many poor performances.

Latest posts

Back