Ojo - what does he offer?

Someone behind me shouted that McGregor was "fucking shite" during the first half...

With Ojo, I, like many, can't see what he brings to the team. Last night we were under the cosh for the whole of the second half and to see Ojo come on was very disheartening. To see him make an arse of that first pass didn't help matters. Even when he was running about like a madman, it was usually because he had made a mistake just before. Gerrard has done wonders man managing some people, and not so well with others. I think he needs to take Ojo out of the picture for a while to give both him and the fans a break.

What makes that even more absurd is that I can’t remember McGregor having anything to do in the first half and I thought we played really well. It was the 2nd half we tired badly.

What makes that even more absurd is that I can’t remember McGregor having anything to do in the first half and I thought we played really well. It was the 2nd half we tired badly.
There were a few wayward passes and punts early on, but certainly didn't merit the reaction. Ibrox has always been bad for a bit of madness. With some players though it's merited.

In a game like last night where they're throwing everything at us, surely we need calm heads to slow the game down and keep possession (ie. Stewart).

I'd definitely like to see Murphy involved a bit more as well, especially if Jones is likely out for another while.

In a game like last night where they're throwing everything at us, surely we need calm heads to slow the game down and keep possession (ie. Stewart).

I'd definitely like to see Murphy involved a bit more as well, especially if Jones is likely out for another while.

Much as I'm a huge fan of Jamie Murphy I've slowly resigned myself to the fact that he's not going to feature for us at a decent level again. I think we will see Jones back in blue in the next week or so - if not Sunday at Fir Park then at Easter Road. From the bench obviously.

He seems to have the physical attributes, whether it's confidence or application that's missing I don't know

Shouldn't the calm heads also extend to the stands though? We're seeing threads after every match looking to have a go at any player for any mistakes in the game regardless of the result.

We even had one dick on here last week almost celebrating that Helander had picked up an injury because it meant Katic was likely to feature again.

I'm not saying that fans shouldn't discuss when a player isn't playing well, but surely the job of the crowd is to support the team, not give them pelters from the stands? We all know that Ibrox becomes a very different place to play if the opponent can get to half time without scoring, or play a scrappy sort of game. It's too easy to get the crowd to start berating our own.

How can you still not understand (bearing in mind he's the 3rd loanee from Liverpool) how these loan arrangements work?
I know exactly how they work. We've got players out all over the place, none of them are guaranteed a game every week. Considering how ineffective Ojo has been, why is he playing every week? Above players we promise will see a pathway to the first team.

Shouldn't the calm heads also extend to the stands though? We're seeing threads after every match looking to have a go at any player for any mistakes in the game regardless of the result.

We even had one dick on here last week almost celebrating that Helander had picked up an injury because it meant Katic was likely to feature again.

I'm not saying that fans shouldn't discuss when a player isn't playing well, but surely the job of the crowd is to support the team, not give them pelters from the stands? We all know that Ibrox becomes a very different place to play if the opponent can get to half time without scoring, or play a scrappy sort of game. It's too easy to get the crowd to start berating our own.

I agree with this wholeheartedly, as I've indicated earlier in the thread. We are a fantastic support but can, at times, be a helluva crowd to play for - especially if you're a youngster trying to break through. They get a handful of games where they get all the support they need - then we throw them to the wolves.

I know exactly how they work. We've got players out all over the place, none of them are guaranteed a game every week. Considering how ineffective Ojo has been, why is he playing every week? Above players we promise will see a pathway to the first team.

The answer is surely obvious. The Manager, who is supposed to know a wee bit about these things, sees him as the best option. Some may disagree, many do, but the management clearly think differently. Shout at Stevie G - not the player?

I do almost feel sorry for him because when you see him getting ready to come on you just know it's not a good sign.

Honestly have no idea how he's on a long term deal with Liverpool and played at international level with England though tbh.

Firstly, I’m not defending arsehole-ism of any description but we need to include recent context, surely. The team is terrific for maybe half a game then just ‘goes’, the support see it happening and, certainly around me in GF6, the groans start but it’s not initially negative, more along the lines of ‘get to them, push onto them, push up’ when we start to fall back. I think that’s just excitement, involvement. The team really need to find a way to stabilise when the wobbles start not retreat.

Firstly, I’m not defending arsehole-ism of any description but we need to include recent context, surely. The team is terrific for maybe half a game then just ‘goes’, the support see it happening and, certainly around me in GF6, the groans start but it’s not initially negative, more along the lines of ‘get to them, push onto them, push up’ when we start to fall back. I think that’s just excitement, involvement. The team really need to find a way to stabilise when the wobbles start not retreat.
But to me, that's when the support need to stay behind the team. It's that old adage of 'sing when you're winning' - anybody can do that. We're brilliant at showing up, but not brilliant at lifting the team when it's going against us.

On his arrival on the park last night, he played several heavy passes, lost his man several times, didn’t track runners, couldn’t hold a ball up, couldn’t shoot effectively and gave away a stupid foul when we had 9 other men behind the ball. A foul that ultimately led to the goal. Better not voice our displeasure that he rarely contributes anything for fear of hurting his wee feelings though eh.

Ojo is a very frustrating player, it’s clear to see he has a lot of talent in him. He’s just very raw and lacking high level first team football/experience. I think if he’s managed correctly then we’ll benefit in the long run.

But to me, that's when the support need to stay behind the team. It's that old adage of 'sing when you're winning' - anybody can do that. We're brilliant at showing up, but not brilliant at lifting the team when it's going against us.
They/we are with the team at the start but when you’ve seen this picture several times before it stays somewhere in the back of your mind and then we watch as it unfolds again. I defy anyone to feel no frustration at what is seen as lack of focus if not self-destruction. More than a few can’t handle it, I agree but have you ever seen us so Jekyll & Hyde?

I don’t understand why Liverpool keep such a player. However you rate the guy, he’s as much chance of getting near their first team as me.

They/we are with the team at the start but when you’ve seen this picture several times before it stays somewhere in the back of your mind and then we watch as it unfolds again. I defy anyone to feel no frustration at what is seen as lack of focus if not self-destruction. More than a few can’t handle it, I agree but have you ever seen us so Jekyll & Hyde?
That's literally the antithesis of supporting the team though. That's giving up when it's not going our way. You've 'seen this picture several times before' - maybe if instead of getting on at the team you actually backed them, there'd be a different result.

But it's OK, we can tell the team we've seen it before with howls of derision and 'get him tae fućk he's a useless cünt'... That'll encourage them to try harder.

That's literally the antithesis of supporting the team though. That's giving up when it's not going our way. You've 'seen this picture several times before' - maybe if instead of getting on at the team you actually backed them, there'd be a different result.

But it's OK, we can tell the team we've seen it before with howls of derision and 'get him tae fućk he's a useless cünt'... That'll encourage them to try harder.
First para, you’re living in a fantasy world if you expect fans with a powerful emotional investment not to respond emotionally.
Second para, can you see the irony in you losing your shit in a previously placid exchange whilst preaching rationality to others in a high-pressure situation?

First para, you’re living in a fantasy world if you expect fans with a powerful emotional investment not to respond emotionally.
Second para, can you see the irony in you losing your shit in a previously placid exchange whilst preaching rationality to others in a high-pressure situation?
I'm not losing my shit though, I'm giving actual quotes from the game last night, as per earlier in the thread and questioning just how people think that it will encourage the team to try harder.
As for the first paragraph - I manage to channel my emotions into something that might actually help the team. Why can't others?

Last edited:
Finally, what is the high pressure situation for the support? The team are in the pressure situation, the support - not so much. Unless singing about the team and the players for 90 mins plus stoppage time is too much?

Finally, what is the high pressure situation for the support? The team are in the pressure situation, the support - not so much. Unless singing about the team and the players for 90 mins plus stoppage time is too much?
Not being arsey TR, do you go to the games? Perhaps we're seeing things from different perspectives.

Nothing Just Nothing
O J O
Apart from the very important winner against Feyernoord and a few assists.

I don’t understand why Liverpool keep such a player. However you rate the guy, he’s as much chance of getting near their first team as me.

It's quite simple really. Someone in the England Championship will spend millions on him.

They sold FF golden child Solanke for £20m and he's scored 1 goal in English football.

I do almost feel sorry for him because when you see him getting ready to come on you just know it's not a good sign.

Honestly have no idea how he's on a long term deal with Liverpool and played at international level with England though tbh.

Like I said to the guy beside me who made a similar comment to you in your OP.

"How come your sitting here and he's on the pitch?"

At the stage now I think he must have a clause in his contract that he has to play a certain amount of games.
I agree. Its the only explanation for how much game time he gets, given his poor showings. My main problem with him is that he always plays an easy pass, rather than try and make something happen. Not using his pace and power. Needs to step up now or his chance will be gone.
When will JJ be ready?

Yeah I do. Not so often now due to distance and family circumstances, but when I can. Was a ST holder prior to moving and had the same attitude then.
So you must be aware that most, I concede not all, turn up for a good time, raring to watch a winning and entertaining team? We are desperate for it to go right, For me it's frustration, not enmity.
I'll also lump in one of my hobby horses here, I'd like to see the club engaging with the fans more. That's genuine engagement, not marketing questionaires.

So you must be aware that most, I concede not all, turn up for a good time, raring to watch a winning and entertaining team? We are desperate for it to go right, For me it's frustration, not enmity.
I'll also lump in one of my hobby horses here, I'd like to see the club engaging with the fans more. That's genuine engagement, not marketing questionaires.
Not even a concession, of course that's what the majority turn up for, but you surely would acknowledge that the team performs at its best when the crowd stick with them and support. We do have a sizeable element who have the attitude of 'here we are, now entertain us' without any cognizance that the opposition aren't just there to make up the numbers. It's well known that every domestic team sees us as the biggest scalp they can take, so try their hardest through whatever means they have to do that.

Sadly, one of their best weapons is to play spoiling football - lots of niggly fouls, 2 banks of 4 in their own half - cause when we haven't broken that down by 30mins at the earliest, Ibrox starts to turn. It might be nerves, it might be frustration, it doesn't matter the cause, its not in any way helpful to the team, and becomes a self fulfilling prophecy - you said yourself you'd seen that sort of performance before, it's a pattern, but people mump and moan rather than try and roar the team through it, which in turn makes the players fearful of making errors so don't try things as often.

Total agreement on fan engagement BTW.

Back