Old Boys of the Brigade

Interesting to see the BB membership cards. I was a member from Junior Section through to Senior Section (151st) and never had one nor knew there was such a thing.

The 252 was a Boys Brigade company based at Netherton St Matthews Church of Scotland - the church closed in the early 1980s having been an outreach extension from Anniesland parish church.

I am very grateful to Derek Barrowman for sending in some old pictures he had of the company - you can get an idea of the date from the fact Ian Discombe has a Life Boys hat on and the rest of us are wearing the new forage style caps.

From the left - Mark Dingwall, unknown, unknown, Ian Discombe, Fred Harrington, Keith McNair, unknown, unknown, Derek Barrowman, David Findlay, Katie Taylor, Tam Moir, Stephen Neave, Scott Marlow, Clifton Mason, Kenny Martin?, Brian Welsh.

From the Stedfast Association -

Dear all
It is with sadness I have to report the death of Douglas Rolland former Captain of the 1st Glasgow Compamy The Boys' Brigade..and a former Vice President of Glasgow Battalion.
Not all of you would have known Douglas but for those who did his funeral will be held at the Glasgow Crematorium at 12.00 o'clock on Tuesday 9th August 2022 followed by a Memorial Service at 1.00 pm in Kelvibgrove Parish Church.
Regards

John.

Wonder how the membership of that great organisation is doing these days ?

I loved it as kid in the 183 in dennistoun , football , marching and all the rest .
Remember being proud as punch each time I got a new badge.

My own boys went for a few years then fell away , and it got that bad with lack of membership they couldn’t even get enough boys to play 11 a side football so they played 7’s

I loved it as kid in the 183 in dennistoun , football , marching and all the rest .

My own boys went for a few years then fell away , and it got that bad with lack of membership they couldn’t even get enough boys to play 11 a side football so they played 7’s
My company had to merge with another and the pictures from their last display seemed to have more officers than boys.

A real shame.

Really enjoyed my time in the BB - gave me a lot in my important formative years, but I do also remember "growing out of it".

It's hard to imagine youngsters these days of the Facebook generation getting as much out of it, which is a pity.

Same as above used to be 2 Cos in my town, now only 1.

Not as good as the 221st though who used to batter the 252 at football. Based at Cleddans school, Katewell avenue, Drumchapel
I'm pretty sure, if memory serves me right and it rarely does, that the mighty 252 pumped all comers. I was born and raised in Kinfauns Road so I am being magnanimous here, but the 252 B team skelped most teams as well.;):p:rolleyes:

I was in the 44th cardonald, last I heard they were struggling to keep it going.

Would be a shame to lose such an institutional organisation, some great memories from those days.

Friday night daftness, Saturday morning football.
44th Cardonald.

Friday nights tended to be spent in the Aldwych Cafe (where there were females!) and then back for the football team news before home. I was never interested in the badges I'm afraid.

Camps to Seahouses/Beadnell did involve an awful lot of "pilfering" from the shops I'm ashamed to say.

Some great days.

I'm pretty sure, if memory serves me right and it rarely does, that the mighty 252 pumped all comers. I was born and raised in Kinfauns Road so I am being magnanimous here, but the 252 B team skelped most teams as well.;):p:rolleyes:
We had a lot of good players in the 221 at all age groups. Some turned pro and yes the 252 had some good teams also but we weren't any mugs either.

Ibrox 163

I can’t remember the full song that started with...
We’re the boys from the 163. Definitely had a line involving evo stick though :))
Bellahouston Church if I recall, which became Ibrox Parish Church when C.o.S. sold the original Parish church on Paisley Road West to the Climbing centre.

The original Bellahouston company was the 103rd, which incorporated the (if I recall) 63rd, Steven Memorial Church, Gower street - demolished for the motorway in the early 70’s - somewhere around 1969.
Two interesting facts about Bellahouston ( now Ibrox ) Church.
1) The Architect was Madeline Smith’s ( the infamous Victorian non proven society girl) father.
2) The Minister during WW1 was the Reverend John Brown; he lost his four sons in the service of our Country.

Sure and Stedfast, former 103rd Bellahouston, Tradeston District.

Last edited:

I was in 5th Kirkintilloch (St Mary's) as a pup. Our football team were poor, mainly due to me. :D.

Anyone know if 5th Kirkintilloch is still going?

What Church did 183 meet?

I really enjoyed my time in the BBs. Football, first aid and trips to interesting places. There was a bit of religion as well.

One of our memorable outings was to the Pavilion Theatre to see a panto with Rikki Fulton and Jack Milroy which must have been in the late 70s. Quite a few football jokes IIRC.

I really enjoyed my time in the BBs. Football, first aid and trips to interesting places. There was a bit of religion as well.

One of our memorable outings was to the Pavilion Theatre to see a panto with Rikki Fulton and Jack Milroy which must have been in the late 70s. Quite a few football jokes IIRC.
I had to get my card signed every Sunday. Despite my family helping to run Sunday school, I found it boring so went to Crusaders instead which sufficed to get the card signed and was better for me.

I am very grateful to Derek Barrowman for sending in some old pictures he had of the company - you can get an idea of the date from the fact Ian Discombe has a Life Boys hat on and the rest of us are wearing the new forage style caps.

From the left - Mark Dingwall, unknown, unknown, Ian Discombe, Fred Harrington, Keith McNair, unknown, unknown, Derek Barrowman, David Findlay, Katie Taylor, Tam Moir, Stephen Neave, Scott Marlow, Clifton Mason, Kenny Martin?, Brian Welsh.
Great picture , I was a member of the 247 around the same time.
I worked with Stevie Neave for over 30 years and played football with Craig Barrowman at knightswood secondary.

Last edited:
My old Captain in the 30th Glasgow, Mr Campbell, was a fine fellow.

A bit of a disciplinarian but a totally upstanding gentleman.

And the 30th was a proper BB, not a front for a football team.

228 in Bridgeton

I dont think its going any more. It stopped then made a brief comeback but I dont think it lasted too long

You can join the Glasgow Stedfast Association using these forms:-

vQUHsHR.jpg

GJbL3dx.jpg

67sk8Pr.jpg
5th Glasgow
St Johns Renfield

49th Dundee mid 80's we had a great football team
Did you win the Stedfast trophy? I did. 227 Yorkhill./ Kelvingrove.
2+2 and add a seven
No the answers's not eleven,
It all adds up to 227
The 227 BB.

Winners of the British Stedfast 5-a-side Trophy. After many rounds in Scotland we went on to play rounds in England with the final in Stoke. We played a team from Glasgow Finneston in the final who had beaten us in the first round. We went through as 2nd. They were mostly a year older, as some of their players were a year ahead of us at Woodside Senior Secondary school in Glasgow. While one man doesn't make a team, and I was also a reasonable player, we had a player called Jim Kelly. As a schoolboy Jim was invited to every top team in Britain including Rangers, Celtic, Manu, Liverpool etc. There is a full page newspaper report on him somewhere. He had played at every schoolboy level for Scotland. He chose to go to Partick Thistle where Bertie Auld, his uncle, was manager. Speaking to his dad, I heard had a fall-out with Bertie and Jim chucked football. Billy McNeill offered Jim a trial and training at Aberdeen with the view to a professional contract. He knocked them back. Jim was my best mate, but we had lost contact by that time A few years ago, I came across the name Jim Kelly at Ross County FC. He was then head of their Academy. I contacted him via e-mail, and it was indeed him. I will say Jim Kelly is the biggest waste of talent that I have ever known. He should have played for a top team and had a number of Scottish caps. I have never seen anyone who could hit a ball as hard as Jim. I will put him in the Ronald Koeman Peter Lorimer level.
wGMwwnq.jpg
Jim is on the left-hand side and I will repeat the biggest waste of football talent ever.

49th Dundee mid 80's we had a great football team
2+2 and add a seven
It all adds up to 227
The 227 BB.

Winners of the British Stedfast 5-a-side Trophy. After many rounds in Scotland we went on to play rounds in England with the final in Stoke. We played a team from Glasgow Finneston in the final who had beaten us in the first round. We went through as 2nd. They were mostly a year older, as some of their players were a year ahead of us at Woodside Senior Secondary school in Glasgow. While one man doesn't make a team, and I was also a reasonable player, we had a player called Jim Kelly. As a schoolboy Jim was invited to every top team in Britain including Rangers, Celtic, Manu, Liverpool etc. There is a full page newspaper report on him somewhere. He had played at every schoolboy level for Scotland. He chose to go to Partick Thistle where Bertie Auld, his uncle, was manager. Speaking to his dad, I heard had a fall-out with Bertie and Jim chucked football. Billy McNeill offered Jim a trial and training at Aberdeen with the view to a professional contract. He knocked them back. Jim was my best mate, but we had lost contact by that time A few years ago, I came across the name Jim Kelly at Ross County FC. He was then head of their Academy. I contacted him via e-mail, and it was indeed him. I will say Jim Kelly is the biggest waste of talent that I have ever known. He should have played for a top team and had a number of Scottish caps. I have never seen anyone who could hit a ball as hard as Jim. I will put him in the Ronald Koeman Peter Lorimer level.
wGMwwnq.jpg
Jim is on the left-hand side and I will repeat the biggest waste of football talent ever.

2+2 and add a seven
It all adds up to 227
The 227 BB.

wGMwwnq.jpg
Never played for that we won the Dundee league then beat the Angus champions in a one off game for a cup

7th Greenock spent 15 years in the BB some of the best memories I have growing up absolutely loved it and would encourage any young lad to join up.

Great picture , I was a member of the 247 around the same time.
I worked with Stevie Neave for over 30 years and played football with Craig Barrowman at knightswood secondary.
I can see Neavo’s old house from my front window and sent him that picture on Facebook but he doesn’t seem to use that account anymore.

Derek Barrowman I keep in touch with on Facebook and occasionally bump into him at Ibrox.

Last edited:
Was in the 203rd Glasgow (St Christopher’s Church, Pollok) junior and senior section back in the day.
My uncle was captain at one point but before I was involved.
Always remember getting a doing in practically every football game we played especially against the 44 from Govan. We had an absolutely honking team.

The church is long since gone and I think the 203 merged with the 208 at St James before the church closed.

I can see Neavo’s old house from my front window and sent him that picture on Facebook but he doesn’t seem to use that account anymore.

Derek Barrowman I keep in touch with on Facebook and occasionally bump into him at Ibrox.
Neavo still up in Hillfoot area of Bearsden as far as I know.

From the Stedfast Association -

Dear all
It is with sadness I have to report the death of Douglas Rolland former Captain of the 1st Glasgow Compamy The Boys' Brigade..and a former Vice President of Glasgow Battalion.
Not all of you would have known Douglas but for those who did his funeral will be held at the Glasgow Crematorium at 12.00 o'clock on Tuesday 9th August 2022 followed by a Memorial Service at 1.00 pm in Kelvibgrove Parish Church.
Regards

John.

I knew Douglas well and have sent a condolence message to Niall, his son.

Back