Old Boys of the Brigade

130th Glasgow. Still involved today.

As has been mentioned above, the number one reason Companies fold is not lack of boys - it's lack of leaders willing to run it.

I was in the 44th cardonald, last I heard they were struggling to keep it going.

Would be a shame to lose such an institutional organisation, some great memories from those days.

Friday night daftness, Saturday morning football.
I am an ex member of the 44 although many moons ago ..But I thought it was still going very strong according to the crowds I see and their great wee junior section football teal

I am an ex member of the 44 although many moons ago ..But I thought it was still going very strong according to the crowds I see and their great wee junior section football teal
Maybe it is now mate but the last I heard they were struggling to get people to run it.

That's good if it's going strong again

4th Irvine Anchor Boys, then 4th Irvine C Section before moving to B Section who had a better football team, then 4th Irvine Company Section. Queen's Man, then discovered birds & booze which made the Friday night BB meeting untenable!

Maybe it is now mate but the last I heard they were struggling to get people to run it.

That's good if it's going strong again
Still got two ex school chums of mine running it and plenty of others .I know one of the officers died at camp this year both of the officers have been involved since I was in the stalwarts and that wasn't yesterday ..Fantastic institution

Still got two ex school chums of mine running it and plenty of others .I know one of the officers died at camp this year both of the officers have been involved since I was in the stalwarts and that wasn't yesterday ..Fantastic institution
Was probably about 30 years ago I was going, if you were there round about then there's a good chance I might know you.

Was the officer that died a long server? Sad to hear whoever it was.

Camp was character building in those days, always mean to drive down to Seahouses to check it out again. That long road back to camp was murder after a bevvy :D

5th Wishy, 1974-80.

My old uniform and lapel badge.

o2NA5hn.jpg

Y8S2UY0.jpg

Annual BB hike.

https://twitter.com/kilbryde_hike/status/908367493789609985

Kilbryde Hike‏ @kilbryde_hike Sep 14
Entries opening soon for next year's hike, so make sure you have the date in your diary!

DJsranDXUAA7QcL.jpg

The BB Scotland, GB Scotland, Scouts Scotland and 7 others
0 replies5 retweets13 likes

I assume that's the successor to the West Lowland Hike?

Used to be brutal - a 30 mile run across the southern uplands with a rucksack & map in a pair of Doc Martens because my parents couldn't afford a pair of hiking boots.

I could hardly run 30 yards now.

It always seemed to be a company from East Kilbride that won it...

1st Cumnock Loyal

Display from Glasgow Battalion display of 1955

BB officers on horseback - article in the Herald 3 Feb 2018

laYwaoM.jpg

79th Newton Mearns.

Still a huge company and I was lucky enough to win the National Cross Country Championships 3 times while I was there.

Happy days.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this nostalgia is nice, but has been stated elsewhere: if you don't want your old company to fold, go and volunteer. Companies are dropping all over Scotland because there are not enough leaders.

101st Glasgow Broomhill

As was I. Junior and Senior Section.

Had a 'healthy' rivalry with the 108 Partick and the 130 further up in Broomhill at football back in the day.

Not sure if you would have known this news, but Derek Miller unfortunately died a few years ago.

Had a 'healthy' rivalry with the 108 Partick and the 130 further up in Broomhill at football back in the day.

Not sure if you would have known this news, but Derek Miller unfortunately died a few years ago.

Yep, sad news.
He was absolutely dedicated to that company and the church. Proper good guy.
He had a stroke a few years after I had left and I never seen him after that.

I believe Colin Murray is captain now. Was Kenny Kelly in my time and a guy called John Cooper for a while after.

Yep, sad news.

I believe Colin Murray is captain now. Was Kenny Kelly in my time and a guy called John Cooper for a while after.

John Copper still involved through the Stedfast Association.

When were you there?

265th Nitshill, Glasgow, loved the football and the summer camps - Arbroath and Jersey. Happy days.

Yep, sad news.

Yeah was a real shame he passed, I only learned from a female leader I met through a friend. I remember Colin Murray and Kelly had a brick firm that we had on the front of our football shirts IIRC. When I first started it was him and Mr McLelland (sp).

Think I was there maybe 86 - 94/95. You?

Last edited:
124 shawlands had great times playing football on Saturday mornings and afternoons cracking teams

Also Davie Wilson’s son was member so Davie was always at displays and we always had big name Stuart McCall and chick dung at them his bird back then was magic

Yeah was a real shame he passed, I only learned from a female leader I met through a friend. I remember Colin Murray and Kelly had a brick firm that we had on the front of our football shirts IIRC. When I first started it was him and Mr McLelland (sp).

Think I was there maybe 89 - 94/95. You?
GBY, Glasgow Brick Yard. Still see him driving around in his private reg Jaguar.

Think I joined about the time you were leaving. Only remember Alan Irvine from the older guys . Think there was another two called Alan also that you probably remember.

GBY, Glasgow Brick Yard. Still see him driving around in his private reg Jaguar.

Think I joined about the time you were leaving. Only remember Alan Irvine from the older guys . Think there was another two called Alan also that you probably remember.

That's the very one, not saw him in years......not to bring the tone down but Kelly's missus was hot, back in the day.

Yep, still see Alan I. around Partick when back over that way to see the folks. I left before him, and one of the other Alan's was likely his cousin.

We used to do 12 hour sponsored stay overs in the church, playing football, big trampoline and going up the stairs into the room at the end of the corridor which had a door into the church. Spooky as %^*&!

We used to have some royal rumble style derby matches versus the 108.

Good times.

Back