Old Boys of the Brigade

5th Airdrie with my proudest memory of being in Bangor, Northern Ireland the night that Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. A great place for a Summer Camp.
Note our football kit was blue socks, blue shorts and orange top.
It is sad to see the decline of all organisations.

57 Glasgow, Laurieston Renwick Church Cumberland Street Gorbals Glasgow. Was disbanded when I was there and as other poster said, women and drink took over.

57 Glasgow, Laurieston Renwick Church Cumberland Street Gorbals Glasgow. Was disbanded when I was there and as other poster said, women and drink took over.
Forgot to add that I sing in a Male voice choir and we had the honour to sing for the Glasgow Steadfast last year at Clincarthill Parish Church.

1st New Monkland.
One of the boys in work said his oldest was playing regularly for his company over in Motherwell. Had some brilliant memories of my time in the BB. Anyway, another walloper in the work pokes his head through the door obviously having been listening and says ‘ah the mini masons!’ Nice to know their paranoia extends to the BB.

4th Irvine Anchor Boys, then 4th Irvine C Section before moving to B Section who had a better football team, then 4th Irvine Company Section. Queen's Man, then discovered birds & booze which made the Friday night BB meeting untenable!

I was in 4th Irvine B at St Andrews church 1990ish seems so long ago now.

Really only went for the game of football on the sat morning at qaurry Road :)

3rd Glasgow - Battlefield Church, vaguely remember the juniors were called the Spiders in honour of the local team. Also have memories of competing in a competition in Glasgow, at the BB 'headquarters' which seemed to involve marching, memory tests (a tray with items, covered up then items removed) and the bible. Many evenings of practice in the run up to that one.

164th copland rd Govan , st kiaran's dean park church with the Rev Robert Fenton , & the BB was a miss McNabb & Mr Robert warender, great memories

Drove by Hamilton West on Friday night and was happy to see that all the lights were on on the church hall, hopefully the 2nd Hamilton are still going strong.
I was in the 2nd Hamilton too. Tug, our captain was a legend. Joined the Lifeboys about age 8 in the sixties and was there till near 18. Happy days indeed.

1st Greenock BB from Anchor Boys through Junior Section and Company Section. Left at 18 and gave a couple years back as an officer. Prob didnt give enough back as Brigade gave many happy memories (apart from early morning kick offs at windswept and freezing Battery Park with a Mitre Mouldmaster :p )

Sorry, for some reason I have been unable to copy and paste this. It's about the 16th Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry (which was comprised mostly of serving and ex-serving members of the BB in Glasgow), and concentrates on a renowned incident in the Frankfurt Trench during the Battle of the Somme. Being ex-army, and before that ex-118 Kings Park Parish Church, I find this a particularly interesting read!

32nd Glasgow.

Just read the last few pages and see quite a few references to us. I'm going to try and find a few old pics to post. I was in the brass band. Played the Euphonium.

My old man was in the 112 which run from St Andrew’s Methodist Church at Liddesdale Sq. Apparently they had quite a good football team in the late 60s.

http://www.glasgowstedfastassociation.org.uk/

Reading the latest issue of my parish newsletter I came across an article describing the Glasgow Stedfast Association which is an organisation for former members of the Boys Brigade.

The Stedfast Assocaition was formed so that ex-BB boys can continue to lend their support to the Brigade. I then did a search on the Internet and found some background on the Glasgow Assocaiton in the news section of the Glasgow Battalion website - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/news.asp

You can download a membership form here - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/Stedfast_Membership_Leaflet.pdf - membership costs just £10 a year.

Anyone got picture of the old BB displays/meetings at Ibrox?

100th Anniversary of The Life Boys.

0Evlq54.jpg

Sorry I can't help you out with the information, but I'd love the club to seek out such organisations. Whilst seeking out a stake or an official link might be taking it too far, there is something to be gained for the BBs, loyal orders and other British inclined organisations using our premises for events.

Instead of pandering to the media and acceptnig the prevailing narrative that we should be ashamed of our rich, cultural heritage, we should embrace it, promote it and play up to our base in the strongest possible way.

I also used to love "Sure and Stedfast" otherwise known as the Anchor Song.

The chorus in it was a belter -

“Sure and Stedfast” - The Brigade Boys’ motto clear!
That’s our watch-word when trouble and trials are near!

Verse 1:
There’s an emblem fair that is known to all,
A sign to help us through,
It stands for strength and it stands for right,
An Anchor tried and true.
The emblem of The Boys’ Brigade
It helps us on our way,
Our father’s knew in days gone by
This sign we know to-day.

Chorus:
“Sure and Stedfast”
The Brigade Boys’ motto clear
That’s our watch-word
when trouble and trials are near.
“Sure and Stedfast”
to the flag that flies above
In all that we do we’ll try to be true
To the Anchor that we love

Verse 2:
With gallant heart and gallant soul,
On life’s broad sea we’ll sail,
What-e’er storms of life may bring,
Our Anchor must prevail,
Although the clouds may cross the sun,
And skies grow dark and grey,
We’ll face the foe until we’ve won,
A glorious victory.

This isn't the best version but gives you an idea of the tune.

2nd Blairgowrie St Andrews Church. Good times never forgotten at camps, football and indoor sports. Always the best marchers at Remembrance Day parades, put the Scouts, ACF, ATC and everybody else to shame.

Yoker 198.

To earn one of our badges we had to learn the verse word for word printed in the front of the newsletter on the op. I note some slight differences.

We learned -

Luke 2: Chapter 52
And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and in favour with God and man.

Newsletter has -

Luke Chapter 2 Version 40
Jesus increased in wisdom and stature and in favour with God and man.

I know that we would not have got that badge if we missed out 'And'.

I want answers. Lol.

25th springburn. Remember the BB band walking round the park at the old firhill, with a big bedsheet to collect "donations". at a thistle v rangers game early 70,s, feck me half the money thrown from the back, hit most of the wee boys sitting on the wall at the front, whoever authorized that must have been mad. Was like a scramble after the band passed by. Made a few Bob , and a feckin sore heed !!!

I also used to love "Sure and Stedfast" otherwise known as the Anchor Song.

The chorus in it was a belter -

“Sure and Stedfast” - The Brigade Boys’ motto clear!
That’s our watch-word when trouble and trials are near!

Verse 1:
There’s an emblem fair that is known to all,
A sign to help us through,
It stands for strength and it stands for right,
An Anchor tried and true.
The emblem of The Boys’ Brigade
It helps us on our way,
Our father’s knew in days gone by
This sign we know to-day.

Chorus:
“Sure and Stedfast”
The Brigade Boys’ motto clear
That’s our watch-word
when trouble and trials are near.
“Sure and Stedfast”
to the flag that flies above
In all that we do we’ll try to be true
To the Anchor that we love

Verse 2:
With gallant heart and gallant soul,
On life’s broad sea we’ll sail,
What-e’er storms of life may bring,
Our Anchor must prevail,
Although the clouds may cross the sun,
And skies grow dark and grey,
We’ll face the foe until we’ve won,
A glorious victory.

This isn't the best version but gives you an idea of the tune.

My dad had this on a 78.

Someone at the BBC converted it onto a cd fro him. No idea what happened to it.

Back