Old Boys of the Brigade

mdingwall

Administrator
http://www.glasgowstedfastassociation.org.uk/

Reading the latest issue of my parish newsletter I came across an article describing the Glasgow Stedfast Association which is an organisation for former members of the Boys Brigade.

The Stedfast Assocaition was formed so that ex-BB boys can continue to lend their support to the Brigade. I then did a search on the Internet and found some background on the Glasgow Assocaiton in the news section of the Glasgow Battalion website - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/news.asp

You can download a membership form here - http://www.bbglasgow.org.uk/news/Stedfast_Membership_Leaflet.pdf - membership costs just £10 a year.

Anyone got picture of the old BB displays/meetings at Ibrox?

100th Anniversary of The Life Boys.

0Evlq54.jpg

"We're the boys of the 252!"

252nd Company of the Glasgow Battalion of the Boys Brigade.

Netherton St Matthew's Parish, Church of Scotland.

"The advancement of Christ's kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness."

SURE AND STEADFAST!

228 in Bridgeton

I dont think its going any more. It stopped then made a brief comeback but I dont think it lasted too long

"We're the boys of the 252!"

252nd Company of the Glasgow Battalion of the Boys Brigade.

Netherton St Matthew's Parish, Church of Scotland.

"The advancement of Christ's kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness."

SURE AND STEADFAST!
I can't believe that it's just you and I from the 252nd.

79th Mearns then 42nd Juniper Green. I know the latter has folded, but I had some great times at the 79th, hope it's still going.

147th Lifies in the Church Hall across the road from Langside Hill Church now known as the 'Church on the Hill'. BB and Sunday School in the Church.

Our groups in the Lifies(is that what they were called?) were the "Hood", "Rodney" and ......... the "Ark Royal"? Think there was one more.
One of the less pleasant memories were the amount of bloody skelfs you'd get in those long socks and your shorts too from sitting on the old wooden floors.
1965- 69, I think.
Edit - think the dates were 1960 - 66, we moved from Langside in 66 so the first dates above are wrong.

Last edited:
76th drumchapel ii enjoyed it but chucked it too early. Especially when I discovered wine women amd song. :)

1st chapelhall. Pioneers, junior then senior section. Kept at it until I was 15, numbers had fallen away.
Got my boy to go to the anchor boys a year and half ago. They ere meant to start back this week but have now been wound down. No juniors or senior section now either. :(
Yet the girls brigade is going strong.

148th Junior section in Sighthill church before moving to Springburn Parish, then the 25th company section. Served as an officer for a few years before shiftwork put an end to it, well tbh that and the captain at the time being an arsehole about it.

95th Glasgow Junior Section - Cathcart Old Parish
83rd Glasgow Company Section - Mount Florida Parish

79th Mearns then 42nd Juniper Green. I know the latter has folded, but I had some great times at the 79th, hope it's still going.

Still a huge Company mate and goes from strength to strength.

Used to have the 138th Company as well in the Mearns, it ran out of Mearnskirk.

Sadly it folded, not because of lack of numbers from the boys, as it was a big Company, but because of a shortage of officers to run it.

It's bad enough when a Company folds because of lack of boys, but it's tragic to hear of a thriving Company disappearing due to a lack of officers.

265 Glasgow, met at Levern school, Nitshill. Good football team in the early 70s. Summer camp in Jersey. Happy days.

Still a huge Company mate and goes from strength to strength.

Used to have the 138th Company as well in the Mearns, it ran out of Mearnskirk.

Sadly it folded, not because of lack of numbers from the boys, as it was a big Company, but because of a shortage of officers to run it.

It's bad enough when a Company folds because of lack of boys, but it's tragic to hear of a thriving Company disappearing due to a lack of officers.

Great to hear it's still going, thanks for posting that.

Back