Old Cigarette packets from East Germany featuring Rangers players

Crispy Bacon

Official Ticketer
Found these earlier, 100 staunch points to anyone who has one

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

Great find from the op. I was around from the early 50's and although just about every adult I knew smoked, I never saw a cigarette card during that time, never mind any from East Germany with our players on them. Down through the years since I've seen plenty in antique shops and they've usually always been pictures of famous English sportsmen. If somebody does have a collection of those East German cards of our players they must be worth a few bob,

I wonder who the top ten were? Obviously we know 10, 9 and 6.
Also I like the look on Waddles face, as if to say “this is a doddle.” Casually smiling as he strolls away from the poet.

Great find from the op. I was around from the early 50's and although just about every adult I knew smoked, I never saw a cigarette card during that time, never mind any from East Germany with our players on them. Down through the years since I've seen plenty in antique shops and they've usually always been pictures of famous English sportsmen. If somebody does have a collection of those East German cards of our players they must be worth a few bob,
Truth be told, not 100% sure they are East German, when you put Turf into internet East German company comes up. Pretty sure they are British.

The McPhail is a sinclair tobacco. Gutted to find out I need the Waddell :) Pm me. If you want to sell ;-) Or perhaps a swop of cards from same era?

This is a fucking cracker of a thread! Props to the OP.

Willie Woodbine is a pun we should have seen before, though.

My grandfather told me about these when I was a wee boy. He never collected any though. If anybody owned them now in good condition I bet they'd be worth a small fortune!

I want them.

Born in the late 50's these were the players my old man and my uncles all raved about.

Reactions: o7o
Truth be told, not 100% sure they are East German, when you put Turf into internet East German company comes up. Pretty sure they are British.
They are definitely not British

Turf was a cigarette brand which was produced during the 1950s in the German Democratic Republic. Turf was sold in 20, 10 and 5-packs. She produced by the traditional "Zigarettenfabrik Jasmatzi", later "VEB Jasmatzi Dresden", which in 1959 merged into the "Vereinigten Zigarettenfabriken Dresden"in Dresden.

They are definitely not British

Turf was a cigarette brand which was produced during the 1950s in the German Democratic Republic. Turf was sold in 20, 10 and 5-packs. She produced by the traditional "Zigarettenfabrik Jasmatzi", later "VEB Jasmatzi Dresden", which in 1959 merged into the "Vereinigten Zigarettenfabriken Dresden"in Dresden.
I saw that mate, however i'm pretty certain they are Carreras https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carreras_Tobacco_Company
Turf being a brand of theirs.
Check out the Carreras "turf" 48's in this link
last link is an Australian website showing a bunch of different Carreras.
For those of you who don't know Tobacco cards were the first sports cards ever made.
The card was put in paper packet to protect cigarettes.
Later versions were printed on the inside of carboard shell around cigarettes.
I have several Alan Morton's from the 20's but there are "Rangers" cards from the turn of the century available.
If you are going to start collecting, NOW is the time as they are not going down in value.

For those of you who don't know Tobacco cards were the first sports cards ever made.
The card was put in paper packet to protect cigarettes.
Later versions were printed on the inside of carboard shell around cigarettes.
I have several Alan Morton's from the 20's but there are "Rangers" cards from the turn of the century available.
If you are going to start collecting, NOW is the time as they are not going down in value.
I always thought they were cards. Here's one which you describe.

GN25.png

Some 'Three Nun's Tobacco' cards. Bears Immaculately dressed.

gn26.png

Got 3 "cut" versions of the Young. Those three Nuns were out my price range 15 years ago. I would spend hours on ebay waiting for some grannie to put up cards she found in a drawer. Did very well many times.

Back