Old Firm games, most important for years

Blue Steel

I had an idea pre season , with the finances of both teams and squads , others would be further behind than any time since say the Advocatt era .

People said last season that it was our dropped points in games versus Motherwell, Aberdeen and Ross County that cost us dearly.

While they did, one single OF defeat turned to a victory would have been enough of a swing to win us the league. Its vital we take at least 6 points from the four games.

I honestly believe it will come down to injuries. Whoever manages to keep the key players for for the longest will win the title this year. We are hopefully starting to get all of ours back now and will hopefully kick on and get stronger as the weeks go by. Goal difference could be a bit factor too. Need to start putting the rest of league to the sword.

Historically, just from memory, OFs even out. It’s dropped pointes to jobbers that cost you.

I don’t see this season being any different. If you %^*& up against jobbers you need to win more OFs.

Will be a season were both hit around 100 points

Goal difference could be vital too

We need to unleash the shackles and play more attack minded midfielders in the league

Could be a rerun of 02/03 where us and Celtic took out the bins out weekly against the jobbers.

We really need to start putting teams to the sword more regularly. I don't think we dish out enough slappings considering the attacking talent we have.

People said last season that it was our dropped points in games versus Motherwell, Aberdeen and Ross County that cost us dearly.

While they did, one single OF defeat turned to a victory would have been enough of a swing to win us the league. Its vital we take at least 6 points from the four games.
The mindset should be we will need to win 3 of the 4.
They aren't dropping points against anyone else. Their early goal difference says it all the other SPL teams don't have an answer

Will be a season were both hit around 100 points

Goal difference could be vital too

We need to unleash the shackles and play more attack minded midfielders in the league
Across all professional leagues in history, goal difference has only been the decider a total of 11 times. It's not something that worries me in the slightest.

Happy to bookmark this and revisit it in May if need be.

What we really need to avoid is not putting games to bed when we get the first goal. We need to be ruthless and go on and get 3 or 4

The OF games will take care of themselves

For me each team is already starting to see ,that dropped points will be very hard to recover from ,both are stable have good squads . And are miles ahead of teams to the extent playing badly could still see a positive result .

Across all professional leagues in history, goal difference has only been the decider a total of 11 times. It's not something that worries me in the slightest.

Happy to bookmark this and revisit it in May if need be.
Rather just blitz these bags of shite and leave nothing to chance

Any points dropped including more than 6 against them is a disaster.

Last season proved that.
It’s a sad league it really is. Virtually no chance of them dropping points against the dross . Gone are the days you’d listen I’m hoping for the other team to drop something. I just ignore them completely now.

We need to win 3 and draw 1 of the four old firms to win it because I think we will slip up more than them against the rest away from home

The mindset should be we will need to win 3 of the 4.
They aren't dropping points against anyone else. Their early goal difference says it all the other SPL teams don't have an answer
Win the 2 at Ibrox and minimum would be a draw at the piggery but 3out of 4 would be 6 point swing

I have said for years - win the old firm games and you pretty much win the league. 24 point swing if you win them all versus losing them all.

It’s a sad league it really is. Virtually no chance of them dropping points against the dross . Gone are the days you’d listen I’m hoping for the other team to drop something. I just ignore them completely now.

We need to win 3 and draw 1 of the four old firms to win it because I think we will slip up more than them against the rest away from home .

That’s my take on it also , but look at England , France , Germany .

The goal difference was fecked in the first week with Colak's goal away to Livingston getting disallowed if it comes down to it with many more onside goals being chopped off to come...

I think play one holding midfielder dictating the game like lundstram done yest against the weaker teams which is everyone bar maybe 2 or 3. We do have goals in us when we're more fluent and open.

The goal difference was fecked in the first week with Colak's goal away to Livingston getting disallowed if it comes down to it.
It shows you the lack of competition in the league when we are taking about goal difference already after just 2 matches of 38.

And the sad thing is you’re right.

We need to win 3 and draw 1 of the four old firms to win it because I think we will slip up more than them against the rest away from home
We also need to give them that feeling. Less of the 2-1s and 2-0s
More 4 and 5 nils, because they are the results that grow momentum and confidence.

It´s quite simple. The years Celtic won the title because we were in the lower leagues cost them in terms of quality. They are recovering from that.

We are reaching a peak too after so many years. Good recruitment and European success are guiding us to that peak.

The rest of the field in Scotland, well, what can we say about them. Not only they are not improving, they are going backwards. It makes you wonder if it will be too long before clubs like Cove Rangers will be in the PL, given the short gap they have to fill from League Two to the top flight.

You can drop two points in the odd draw at Hibs or Aberdeen but doing less than 6 points in the OF matches can only be seen as a dreadful way to give up on the title.

Plain and simple already, we need 100+ points to win the league this season, of which 2 wins and a draw need to come from Old Firm games. Anything less will be hard to win from. Probably 32-33 wins and no more than 2 defeats. Whatever we think of Postecoglou, he has built a team that swats all the other teams aside in Scotland far too easily. We don’t yet, although yesterday was more promising.

Only we are playing midweek europe and weekend spfl right now. Whoever manages that workload best and keep key players fit will win the league. Despite all the noise about aberdeen having a great summer etc the rest look miles off it this year. More than even last year.

You always need to beat that shower at Ibrox and take a point at the peado dome

It shows you the lack of competition in the league when we are taking about goal difference already after just 2 matches of 38.

And the sad thing is you’re right.

Goal Difference in Scottish Football is massive Bluebeard. Seen it before where it can make or break the league title. We just have to score more than Celtic. Currently we should be one goal behind them in the table, not two.

I watched highlights of spl yesterday and a bit today. The defending and keeping were atrocious , outside the top two and maybe hearts, it is a farmers league. Personally I’m not looking forward to league games nearly as much as I should. HIV away you can guarantee porteous making more shocking tackles, Boyle diving and high balls galore. Utter dung shit.

Old firm games are always crucial and they will be the deciding factor again, when we won the league 2 seasons ago, our victory at Parkhead in the first old firm was absolutely crucial, it set us on our way, likewise last season, their victory against us at Parkhead was the catalyst for them going on a long run and winning the league.

The remit of any Rangers manager is to beat Them ,do that and you win leagues.
As been mentioned above a single defeat turned into a victory and we would have be champions ,it's that fine of margins.

The financial gulf between us/them and the rest is insurmountable at the moment and if we qualify for the CL Group Stages there is just no way any team in Scotland can compete. Which means 34 games of low block, anti football home and away.

I really wish we could just join the EPL.

Hearts at this moment in terms of finishing place last season are the 3rd force in Scotland. They have spent 500k. Aberdeen who have taken in £10m in fees roughly have spent £1m.

The SPL is a busted flush with no sign of improvement in sight.

In reality I would expect us and them not to lose any game to another team in the SPL unless one of us gets a player sent off early.

They will only focus on the league. The league is the only thing that matters to the fat mess manager.
We must be ahead in the league come the WC break. They will see that as their HT break. Theyll go flat out then rest during the WC

Unless we do a post Xmas collapse I think it will come down to the OF games.

I don't think Celtic are pish but they are not hard to figure out so the management have no excuse if we don't come out on top head to head.

Goal Difference in Scottish Football is massive Bluebeard. Seen it before where it can make or break the league title. We just have to score more than Celtic. Currently we should be one goal behind them in the table, not two.
It isn't massive at all.

It's only decided things 11 times across every professional league ever, yet every year we hear the same pish.

The big thing this year is the world cup break. They'll be going all out from now until November 20th, we need to as well.

The second half of the season is longer so they will be trying to get it done before the split before the hamstrings go and the injuries kick in.

Winning two games v them at Ibrox and one at the east end crime scene will win us the league this season. Both us and them will beat the jobbers in the league more often than not with relative ease.

You have got to factor in Scottish weather/heavy pitches plus the fact that we will both be knocking our pans in during midweek European games.

Points will be dropped as always - probably be the strongest squad that wins it this season so hopefully we add a bit more quality in midfield as that is the area we are lacking something different.

I actually think with the pace we have in our team now we can do them some damage at their shithole as they will be attacking and we can hit them on the counter

The financial gulf between us/them and the rest is insurmountable at the moment and if we qualify for the CL Group Stages there is just no way any team in Scotland can compete. Which means 34 games of low block, anti football home and away.

I really wish we could just join the EPL.

Hearts at this moment in terms of finishing place last season are the 3rd force in Scotland. They have spent 500k. Aberdeen who have taken in £10m in fees roughly have spent £1m.

The SPL is a busted flush with no sign of improvement in sight.

In reality I would expect us and them not to lose any game to another team in the SPL unless one of us gets a player sent off early.
If actually love to have the situation we had in the 80’s when there was real competition and quite a few clubs could realistically win the league and non old firm clubs were making European finals .
But obviously we were in a dreadful state on and off the park which helped the rest and football finance is totally different nowadays .
But is was exciting as there were so many different winners and real challengers for the domestic competitions

We might not have hit top form in terms of performances so far - it's still very early days - but I'm pretty confident about reclaiming our place as the Champions of Scotland this season.

That confidence will go through the roof if we qualify for the CL, so here's hoping!

It isn't massive at all.

It's only decided things 11 times across every professional league ever, yet every year we hear the same pish.
It’s more than just the actual goal difference though

It leaves you in the position of effectively being an extra point behind and leading you into needing to push for results

I think it played a part in that 2-2 with Motherwell last season

Back