Old Football Stadiums - Photos

Pacaembu Stadium in São Paolo. Corinthians’ former home. Still occasionally used for games and hosts a brilliant football museum. An Art Deco masterpiece. Bench seating. Was briefly the biggest stadium in South America until the aforementioned Maracana was built.
Pacaembu.jpg

aye my old man took me up there when we played ayr in the cup semi final early 70s, we won 2-0 , a dark and dingy place it was

That was my first evey game at Hampden. Was in the Celtic End. A Parlane double in front of 56000.

My pal and I sneeked of to the game without telling anyone and got on the wrong bus home, didn't get home till after midnight so got a rollicking - we were only 11 at the time.

Going to be doing a theme now by posting old stadiums that the Bears have played in.

Today its the old home of Juventus, known as Stadio Delle Alpi.
It was built for Italia '90 and then demolished in 2009, to make way for the new Juventus Satdium (as seen on picture 5).

Rangers played Juventus there on 18th October 1995, where we were battered 4-1.

From what I've heard from some of the fans who were there that night, including my old man, the stadium was an absolute s*%& hole, considering it had only been 5 years old then. Was also told that the surrounding area was an even bigger s*%& hole and not the most welcoming of areas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be doing a theme now by posting old stadiums that the Bears have played in.

Today its the old home of Juventus known as Stadio Delle Alpi that was built for Italia '90 and then demolished in 2009 to make way for the new Juventus Satdium (as seen on picture 5).

Rangers played Juventus there on 18th October 1995 where we were battered 4-1.

From what I've heard from some of the fans who were there that night including my old man, the stadium was an absolute s*%& hole considering it had only been 5 years old then. Was also told that the surrounding area was an even bigger s*%& hole and not the most welcoming of areas!

On the golazzo podcast they said the architect of the delle alpi had never been to a game of football.

Ken Eadie's testimonial. Friday night game week before 96 cup final. I remember Gascoigne and Laudrup trying to outdo each other all night.
I’m sure the last competitive game at Kilbowie before the Ken Eadie testimonial, it was something like 10 pence at the gate to get in. Remember going as a teenager for something to do as don’t think Rangers were playing that day, couldn’t remember who it was against but googled it there, Hamilton beat Clydebank 3-1. Pitch invasion at full time and seen a few folk taking there seats home as souvenirs.

It was built for Italia '90 and then demolished in 2009, to make way for the new Juventus Satdium (as seen on picture 5).

From what I've heard from some of the fans who were there that night, including my old man, the stadium was an absolute s*%& hole, considering it had only been 5 years old then. Was also told that the surrounding area was an even bigger s*%& hole and not the most welcoming of areas!

That was only built for Italia 90? Thought it was ancient.
Juve fans hated it, they used to onmu get crowds of less than 10k for big games in the end.

I was probably crushed against one of those crush barriers in Jan 78 when we beat Thistle 2-1in front of the biggest crowd at the ground for over 25 years, 30000. All I can say is the ground was bursting at the seams.
Was that the 2-0 game?
I was working on the turnstyles that game and there were no queues outside - just a mass of people. Still pouring in 30 mins into the game eventually slowed at 40 mins. Fans were in brilliant spirit that day. 80p at the gate, got loads of "keep the change" tips (20p was not to be sniffed at in those days, especially when they were numerous).
Went to see the second half and all you could see were faces, no shoulders, no gangways. The place was absolutely jammed.

The entire footprint of the old stadium stands are outside the new ground - just shows how far from the pitch the fans were, even those in the front rows.

Your old man was spot on. Vowed I would never go to Italy again to watch Rangers. Couple of weeks later went to Dortmund and the reception we got was completely different. The Germans couldnt do enough for us. The Italians treated us like dirt.
Absolutely Baltic in Dortmund, never been so cold in my life lol.

Was that the 2-0 game?
I was working on the turnstyles that game and there were no queues outside - just a mass of people. Still pouring in 30 mins into the game eventually slowed at 40 mins. Fans were in brilliant spirit that day. 80p at the gate, got loads of "keep the change" tips (20p was not to be sniffed at in those days, especially when they were numerous).
Went to see the second half and all you could see were faces, no shoulders, no gangways. The place was absolutely jammed.
I was at that game as well. Loved it at the time, but looking back on it, it was a disaster waiting to happen, especially everyone trying to get out via one small gate at the end.

Looks like it was rushed, seems like some trek.

Your old man was spot on. Vowed I would never go to Italy again to watch Rangers. Couple of weeks later went to Dortmund and the reception we got was completely different. The Germans couldnt do enough for us. The Italians treated us like dirt.
Absolutely Baltic in Dortmund, never been so cold in my life lol.
Was that the 2-2 game via Dortmund? Coldest I've ever been, it didn't help I flew over for one night and it was fine when I left home so didn't bother with a jacket. Not my brightest moment.

As you said a great reception from the Germans.

Was that the 2-2 game via Dortmund? Coldest I've ever been, it didn't help I flew over for one night and it was fine when I left home so didn't bother with a jacket. Not my brightest moment.

As you said a great reception from the Germans.
aye certainly the coldest ive ever been at the match, ive told this on here before, but 3 or 4 guys not far from us had their tops off during the match ,f@cking absolute madness, the guys were pale blue, but not a care in the world, i assume the bevvy they had obviously consumed was keeping them warm (in their own minds anyway)

Was that the 2-0 game?

Just to be sure I checked Wikipedia for the correct score and it was 2-1 to Rangers. If I remember correctly there was some debate about our winner, whether the ball had crossed the line before being cleared by Thistle defender.

Used to love going to watch Rangers at Firhill, I lived in Springburn so an easy 30 minute walk.

Just to be sure I checked Wikipedia for the correct score and it was 2-1 to Rangers. If I remember correctly there was some debate about our winner, whether the ball had crossed the line before being cleared by Thistle defender.

Used to love going to watch Rangers at Firhill, I lived in Springburn so an easy 30 minute walk.
Yeah I remember that game, Dec 77 or New Year 78. Queen’s We are The Chsmpions regularly belted our under the Shed - one the earlier renditions of it.

East End Park, Dunfermline in the 60s before it became - like all too many grounds - the soulless Barr Constructed ground it is now. The old floodlights at that ground were awesome, and I was brought up literally 500 yards from the place.

Think Health and Safety / G4S might have something to say about some of the viewing positions !
That was taken the week after Dunfermline won the 1968 SCF.

I stand corrected (it was a long time ago!). however I think we are all talking about the same match.
Before working there or Ibrox (used to be an agreement with the Scottish League that they didn't play at home on the same day) I would sometimes go to a Thistle home game with a couple of mates (Firhill was local). Would never contemplate that now.

Was that the 2-0 game?
Was the chant at the time the Queen song "We are the champions, no time for Celtic"? I remember this being belted out on Sportscene for a Thistle came round about then

I was probably crushed against one of those crush barriers in Jan 78 when we beat Thistle 2-1in front of the biggest crowd at the ground for over 25 years, 30000. All I can say is the ground was bursting at the seams.
Was that a New Year’s Day game mate ? If so that was my first ever away game, thankfully I was in the stand with my Dad, my Grandpa never got in, it was absolutely mobbed.

Today’s ground is barely mentioned at all in our history but still played host to one of the biggest games in the club’s history.

The Städtisches Stadion (now known as Max Morlock Stadium) in Nuremburg played host to the 1967 European Cup Winners Cup Final where we were unfortunately beaten by 1-0 Bayern Munich AET with an attendance of 69,480.

The ground has undergone various overhauls ever since it was built in 1928.

However, the stadium’s early history and origins are infamous as it was one of a series of facilities built as part of the Nazi Party’s Rally Grounds which in layman’s terms, was pretty much a Nazi’s equivalent of an Olympic Park that hosted multiple political and sporting events and the stadium was used as a marching area by the Hitler Youth.

The stadium hosted a series of games in 2006 World Cup and is home to FC Nurnberg but to this day still neighbours the infamous Zeppelinfeld (still moderately preserved as a reminder of those dark days) that played host to Hitler’s mass political rallies in the 1930’s which I’m sure all of you who know their WW2 history will recognise.

John Greig and Davie Provan during the match

My first Euro away trip. At least we scored over there, it was 0-4 at Ibrox.

The ground itself was a dump. Remember you could choose your tier as you walked towards the stadium. No seats, just concrete steps. I love old grounds but this one was soulless and grim.

Juventus fans swapping scarfs etc before the game, then an almighty hail of missiles, incl fireworks, as the teams came out. Guy let a fire extinguisher off in the concourse after the game, sending everyone scurrying back to the terracing for air.

I love this thread but I can't help feeling that a part of the spirit of a club must die when it moves to a shiny new stadium in a different location. Maybe we are spoiled because of our main stand that is part of our soul and is still so magnificent at nearly a hundred years old. I have driven or walked towards it hundreds of times over the years and still burst with pride and love of the place, surely walking towards a glass or steel beamed spaceship can't be the same.

I love this thread but I can't help feeling that a part of the spirit of a club must die when it moves to a shiny new stadium in a different location. Maybe we are spoiled because of our main stand that is part of our soul and is still so magnificent at nearly a hundred years old. I have driven or walked towards it hundreds of times over the years and still burst with pride and love of the place, surely walking towards a glass or steel beamed spaceship can't be the same.

Totally agree with this. I am like a 3 year old every time I do the Ibrox tour and reach the dressing rooms, the managers office, the trophy room but especially the Blue Room. I am not ashamed to say I get so excited, proud and emotional.

I have done the tours of the Etihad and Emirates and both were so sterile and soulless. Especially Man City, just like a 5 star hotel. Pitch side, the stadium is good with excellent views of the match but 10 years does not make a history or an aura.

Totally agree with this. I am like a 3 year old every time I do the Ibrox tour and reach the dressing rooms, the managers office, the trophy room but especially the Blue Room. I am not ashamed to say I get so excited, proud and emotional.

I have done the tours of the Etihad and Emirates and both were so sterile and soulless. Especially Man City, just like a 5 star hotel. Pitch side, the stadium is good with excellent views of the match but 10 years does not make a history or an aura.
I wonder if the ground being on the same site makes a difference? Like Spurs did.
Anyone been on a tour of their new gaff?
I don't think it would but at least fans would feel as if theyre home, sort of.

I wonder if the ground being on the same site makes a difference? Like Spurs did.
I'm sure it must be better than a new location, at least there is sense of being in the same space. It just shows the foresight and stature of our club that the people who had the vision for our main stand built a structure almost 100 years ago that was big enough to still be able to be incorporated into a modern refurbishment of 50000. I'm struggling to think of a big club anywhere that hasn't had to knock down their old main stand to enable reconstruction.
I always like watching visiting foreign fans looking in awe at it as they walk past.

I haven't done a tour of the stadium but I did go to a game there in 2019 with the ground full of fans. It's a wonderful stadium, head and shoulders above anything else in the EPL. If Rangers do get around to redeveloping Ibrox, they might want to take a look at the single-tier Spurs end which is really impressive.

Any of the older bears ever experience the old north stand at Hampden? Looks well ropey!

']
E5-BE7-BCD-A632-45-A8-9-E48-2-BCB43-A9-F1-BD.jpg
[/URL]
Sat in the old north stand for my first game at hampden.A replay against Patrick Thistle in the scottish cup.We won 1-0 and I was 8 years old.Mind my dad wasn’t to happy all game as he kept shouting and bawling.

I was at that game as well. Absolutely mobbed as you say. Was that the game when Gordon Smith smashed a shot which bounced back down and just crossed the line? The Thistle players stating that it hadn’t crossed the line, when the ref went to consult his linesman I noticed that Brian Whittaker (remember him? I sure that he has passed away), anyway he had the ball in his hand talking to Alan Rough, so it would have been a penalty to Rangers...anyway it didn’t matter as the goal was given.

I much prefer football grounds in the heart of a community, instead of those in the middle of nowhere. Would like to go to Bramhall Lane one day; once saw a photo of it, floodlit, and these houses surrounding it. Football has a certain "magic" about it that is about community and relationship, it's not on the margins of life, but the heart of it, and those type of grounds reflect that better than anything else.

Back