Old Football Stadiums - Photos

Goodison Park 1964 (Goodison Road Main Stand & Terrace). This was unfortunately replaced with a triple-decker stand/paddock in 1970 although Leitch's Bullens Road & Gwladys Street Stands remain to this day -

goodison-snow-and-floodlights-early-1960s.jpg
Looks like Mr Leitch had varied the classic balcony trademark by doubling up on the X in each segment.

Rangers end doesn't look as big as the other end. Suppose it would be pay at the gate in those days and Rangers fans would just wrap further round the stadium.
I've never really seen it adequately explained why the Rangers End at the Piggery was the eastern terrace, the same at Ibrox, but was the western terrace at Hampden.

Does anyone have any historical insight?

I've never really seen it adequately explained why the Rangers End at the Piggery was the eastern terrace, the same at Ibrox, but was the western terrace at Hampden.

Does anyone have any historical insight?
No insight just geographic speculation. In the old bowl stadiums the majority of the home crowd would arrive from the city centre and mostly enter and congregate at the nearest end. So the far ends became the away ends.
At neutral Hampden could it be as simple as W end is nearest Ibrox and E nearer to Parkhead?

No insight just geographic speculation. In the old bowl stadiums the majority of the home crowd would arrive from the city centre and mostly enter and congregate at the nearest end. So the far ends became the away ends.
At neutral Hampden could it be as simple as W end is nearest Ibrox and E nearer to Parkhead?
Yep, sounds a plausible explanation.

Size of the open terracing is much like Charltons old Valley.
I only went to Leeds Road twice in the early 70s because HT plummeted down the Leagues pretty sharpish thereafter. It certainly was a big terracing along the side but it might have been covered by the time I went there (long time ago so I can't remember for certain)?

The open terracing along the side reminds me a little bit of the old Easter Road.

I only went to Leeds Road twice in the early 70s because HT plummeted down the Leagues pretty sharpish thereafter. It certainly was a big terracing along the side but it might have been covered by the time I went there (long time ago so I can't remember for certain)?

The open terracing along the side reminds me a little bit of the old Easter Road.
I went to Leeds Rd for an FA cup tie against Chelsea in 1982 and the terracing was much smaller and covered by that stage

The old Municipal Stadium alongside Lake Erie. Fantastic old stadium with easily the best NFL fanbase. Stood on the old Dawg Pound terracing for a fateful game in January 1987 and I've hated John Elway ever since.
I’m jealous of you there mate. The Browns were my team in part after seeing their fans with the bulldog masks on in the old dilapidated stadium (albeit with character) going nuts.

Would love to take in an NFL game some time.

I’m jealous of you there mate. The Browns were my team in part after seeing their fans with the bulldog masks on in the old dilapidated stadium (albeit with character) going nuts.

Would love to take in an NFL game some time.
Of all the NFL stadia, the Municipal was definitely the closest to a British football ground atmosphere. Used to get 80,000+ every game with pretty much everyone well oiled so the noise was incredible. The new stadium is really good as well, albeit with a slightly smaller capacity. I remember a game around Christmas 2001 against the Jaguars when the Browns fans (justifiably imo) had a near riot inside and outside the new ground as a result of dubious refereeing. Brilliant atmosphere once again though!

I've done all the NFL stadia now apart from the new Raiders stadium in Vegas and the new Rams/Chargers stadium in LA, both of which I hope to visit next year, post-Covid.

If you really want huge crowds though, go to one of the College Football stadia where the capacities can be as much as 30-40,000 higher than the NFL stadia.

Safe travels if you do make it across the pond.

Dongdaemun Stadium in Seoul. Really historic, shame they demolished it. Actually hard to find decent pictures online.

Built in 1925 during Japanese Occupation, it was basically two stadiums beside each other. One for football and athletics, the other for baseball. It was eventually demolished in 2000, but by that time the football ground had already been turned into a carpark and a local wet market.

It hosted an Olympic QF in 1988, and Korea's first ever professional football match in 1980.

1cd5e778524e25280928a656185a582d.jpg

In all its glory.

punctum_287885_50[628488].jpg

The two stadiums together

IMQ3U66D6F7MLYV62Q7BROB73Q.jpg

After being turned into a carpark.

%C3%B6%B0%C51.jpg

Demolished

dongdaemun-design-plaza-aerial-view-seoul-south-korea-ddp-x-95905472.jpg

Today - Dongdaemun Design Plaza.

Last edited:
Not a football stadium but looks like the old Murrayfield held quite a few.

Hard to believe that a crowd of 104,000 were crammed into Murrayfield for a Scotland v Wales game before the east stand was built, it looks nothing near the size of pre-redevelopment Hampden, Ibrox or even The Piggery.

Hillsborough, Sheffield

The large covered stand to the left is where Rangers were housed in the second of the two friendlies a few years ago, and was the first Cantilever Stand in the country to run the full length of the pitch. The South Stand opposite was actually moved brick by brick from the old stadium site in 1899 and features a clock designed by Archibald Leitch.

OIP.gXbIrjKYA6fpElicv5xfkwHaGZ

R.80d9d72ccd906fe17e2ec8c813519406

OIP.5LNjAKC1NB1ZBxOtrzmPMQHaE9

OIP.zvCZWfOCPXcHknMWASEQNAHaE_

I feel that way about most grounds. I much preferred the old stadiums, and I think a lot of atmosphere went with them. It also feels like the old working class fan culture was ditched with them to pay for the new state-of-the-art grounds
Couldn't agree more no soul in new stadium's all look and feel the same

sU1_zZpSktnFbTzKndhwZSik3DbCkQXb1sf7F0ZXqyG3OxBj3L2LusXwnGbYK0dB_2GWwwV27Ih7Q-OIevI2maXpgUw2owR57S1gM0gq1w
0_DPR_ECH_160715SportsGrounds_33.jpg
I loved the brutalist architecture of Cardiff Arms Park. It looked so modern when I first saw it in 1990 when Scotland played rugby there. I don’t know why they demolished it, although the new stadium is great.

Back