Old Guy In The Main Stand

jimmyg1977

Was sitting in my friends seat yesterday and the old boy in the seat next to me took a wee turn. Firstly it looked like a heart attack or a stroke he lay for 25 mins before any medical staff or police came. Thankfully some fans came to help which looked like doctor/ nurses who gave him COPR was wondering if amyone knew if he was ok.

There was a thread on this last night not sure of the outcome though, hopefully all ok with him.

There was a thread on this last night not sure of the outcome though, hopefully all ok with him.
Aw was their mate a never seen it was horrible was on the seat next to me. Thought he was gone at one point but looked better after some fans helped him.

What section of the stand was this in?
It was in Main Stand Front near the Copeland Road End it maybe be MFF? I was there since I had to swap my usual seat with one of my sons mates.

It was beyond belief how long it took for the the guy to get help.

The stewards are clearly not trained to deal with this.........I have sadly come to the conclusion that, of the current crop, few employees at Ibrox are particularly competent especially the so called Football Department.

Correct. This happens frequently around the stadium even with some minor slips, trips and falls. Stewards just stand and watch the fans help people to their feet etc.

Clearly a huge training gap here.
Following recent incidents with players attacked on the pitch you can see by state of stewards they are not fit for purpose.
Needs to become a licenced job similar to bouncers. I.e. fit trained in security and first aid. Stewards turn up at a game put on their hi viz and walk up and down stairs. Very poor in the modern game

Following recent incidents with players attacked on the pitch you can see by state of stewards they are not fit for purpose.
Needs to become a licenced job similar to bouncers. I.e. fit trained in security and first aid. Stewards turn up at a game put on their hi viz and walk up and down stairs. Very poor in the modern game
And then block the exit at full time by standing on the top stairs causing the fans to back up and start pushing

They need fitness training as well, did you see the state of the fat twat that tried to get a hold of Tavs attacker? Couldn't even stretch over the barrier. But 25 minutes for medical assistance is horrendous, there has obviously been a communication breakdown otherwise the paramedics would have been there immediately.

Only one I can remember is a Boxing day or New years old firm game and guy taking no well in the Copland front, there were polis there in minutes, I remember the Sgt sliding on his arse getting to the guy. Somethings definitely went wrong somewhere.

They need fitness training as well, did you see the state of the fat twat that tried to get a hold of Tavs attacker? Couldn't even stretch over the barrier. But 25 minutes for medical assistance is horrendous, there has obviously been a communication breakdown otherwise the paramedics would have been there immediately.
Totally agree.

There should be one steward in each stand who has had First Aid training.

There were stewards/first aiders standing at the corner of the Copland/Main Stand. People were screaming at them to get up and help. Eventually one or two first aiders ambled into the Stand but never appeared at the guy for ages. The fat bastard head steward standing about pointing whilst drinking his coffee was a f ucking disgrace. The Club need to sort it out.

There will be. It will come under a health and safety issue, usually first thing on agenda these days at any company meeting

Unfortunately, the guys in charge of safety are all friends with the ex cops. That's how they all got the jobs. The whole thing is based on cronyism. Not safety.

Let's just hope the old guy is okay.

Ibrox usually has 15/20 St Andrews first aid volunteers at every match located around the stadium and respond to any emergencies as soon as notified through the control room. Alongside various Scottish Ambulance service crews and 1 doctor based in the main first aid room the medical assistance is usually very good. Must have been a breakdown in communication somewhere.

There were stewards/first aiders standing at the corner of the Copland/Main Stand. People were screaming at them to get up and help. Eventually one or two first aiders ambled into the Stand but never appeared at the guy for ages. The fat bastard head steward standing about pointing whilst drinking his coffee was a f ucking disgrace. The Club need to sort it out.

Hopefully the SLO will be reading that post.

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing he should be tasked with tackling.

Hopefully the SLO will be reading that post.

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing he should be tasked with tackling.
I emailed the Greg Marshall yesterday about this incident.

The lack of stewards and the time it took to get help was disgraceful. I had just came up the stairs from the concourse to get back to me seat that's next to where he had collapsed, seen the crowd around him and that he seemed to be having a seizure. There were no stewards at the exit, a few of us went down to the concourse area and none there, I checked the toilets and the turnstiles and no stewards there either, someone even asked the kids at the pie stall to call for help as there was no one else around. Eventually someone got a steward to come over from the next section and he casually saunters over and takes a look and walk away again as if he hasn't a care in the world.

The poor guy was laying on the steps for about 15 minutes before any help showed up. I know he was conscious when he was taken so hopefully he is on the mend.

I emailed the Greg Marshall yesterday about this incident.

The lack of stewards and the time it took to get help was disgraceful. I had just came up the stairs from the concourse to get back to me seat that's next to where he had collapsed, seen the crowd around him and that he seemed to be having a seizure. There were no stewards at the exit, a few of us went down to the concourse area and none there, I checked the toilets and the turnstiles and no stewards there either, someone even asked the kids at the pie stall to call for help as there was no one else around. Eventually someone got a steward to come over from the next section and he casually saunters over and takes a look and walk away again as if he hasn't a care in the world.

The poor guy was laying on the steps for about 15 minutes before any help showed up. I know he was conscious when he was taken so hopefully he is on the mend.

That is quite simply shocking, and I'd really hope that the idlers involved get their jotters.

Well done on contacting the SLO.
It would be good if he kept us all informed of what comes about.

I'm at the front of that section and we were shouting at the stewards in front of the EE for a good minute solid and they were just fucking staring at us drinking their coffee.

To make things worse some arsehole a few seats along started having a go at people for shouting at the stewards and it threatened to turn nasty.

Really hope the guy is ok, if not then he's been badly let down by the staff.

Was sitting in my friends seat yesterday and the old boy in the seat next to me took a wee turn. Firstly it looked like a heart attack or a stroke he lay for 25 mins before any medical staff or police came. Thankfully some fans came to help which looked like doctor/ nurses who gave him COPR was wondering if amyone knew if he was ok.
Hi Jimmy
I come over to help the gentleman he was breathing when I got there put him in recovery he had took a wee turn I am a trained first aider it was a joke how long it took
The gentleman name was John. Hope he is well

Stewards are minimum wage contractors who have probably done Friday night on doors, building sites etc, etc and came straight to this job, just to try and make a wage. They have pretty much zero training and for the main, are not the brightest (apologies to any in here). Hope the gent is ok, but it's a problem at all stadiums. If it was 25 minutes then there has been a serious breakdown in communication from all involved.

It was in Main Stand Front near the Copeland Road End it maybe be MFF? I was there since I had to swap my usual seat with one of my sons mates.

It was beyond belief how long it took for the the guy to get help.

The stewards are clearly not trained to deal with this.........I have sadly come to the conclusion that, of the current crop, few employees at Ibrox are particularly competent especially the so called Football Department.
The competence of some within the club will come under further scrutiny this week or next.

I'll leave it there for now as unrelated to this.

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of paramedics not exactly being deployed swiftly to respond to those in need of them. I remember on one occasion seeing them ambling around the pitch when someone was in urgent need of assistance.

This example sounds like more of the same, how someone can be waiting for 15 min for medical assistance inside Ibrox stadium beggars belief. Doesn’t sound like a good place to take turn for the worst in at all.

I'm at the front of that section and we were shouting at the stewards in front of the EE for a good minute solid and they were just fucking staring at us drinking their coffee.

To make things worse some arsehole a few seats along started having a go at people for shouting at the stewards and it threatened to turn nasty.

Really hope the guy is ok, if not then he's been badly let down by the staff.
I don’t get the folk that started shouting at fans who were trying to get a steward they just made a crap situation worse . There was no sign of anyone coming to help the man and those stewards/first aiders standing in front of Copland just seemed to look at us shouting like something they had stood on . Anyway hope the man is ok

Hi Jimmy
I come over to help the gentleman he was breathing when I got there put him in recovery he had took a wee turn I am a trained first aider it was a joke how long it took
The gentleman name was John. Hope he is well
I mist have seen you as the guy who took the turn was on the seat next to me well done for helping

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard of paramedics not exactly being deployed swiftly to respond to those in need of them. I remember on one occasion seeing them ambling around the pitch when someone was in urgent need of assistance.

This example sounds like more of the same, how someone can be waiting for 15 min for medical assistance inside Ibrox stadium beggars belief. Doesn’t sound like a good place to take turn for the worst in at all.
Its was more like 25 mins till he got help

There should be one steward in each stand who has had First Aid training.
It should take no more than two minutes to get expert medical attention to anyone in the stadium.

We should have someone positioned in each of the rear stands and one person covering the lower stands.

There simply is no excuse for not having that type of coverage.

Terrible to think that the very people who are meant to be there to look after the people are not interested. Perhaps if someone had sung the Billy Boys you would have gained their attention a lot quicker. Obviously I jest with that remark but its probably close to the truth.

Hope the old boy is ok.

Minimum wage, poorly trained stewards in place of well trained cops is becoming an issue in several areas now.

Just a wee update following on from my email to the SLO I've just had a phone call from David Martin I think it was, just to say the club are taking it very seriously the stewards seemingly all went on a break at the same time obviously that should never have happened and he assured me there will be steps taken to make sure that never happens again.

He confirmed the gentleman has made a full recovery and is fine now which is the main thing.

I didn't expect to hear anything back from the club after the SLOs initial email reply so I thought it was a nice touch from the club to call.

Just a wee update following on from my email to the SLO I've just had a phone call from David Martin I think it was, just to say the club are taking it very seriously the stewards seemingly all went on a break at the same time obviously that should never have happened and he assured me there will be steps taken to make sure that never happens again.

He confirmed the gentleman has made a full recovery and is fine now which is the main thing.

I didn't expect to hear anything back from the club after the SLOs initial email reply so I thought it was a nice touch from the club to call.

Good to hear the club are going to take action, and that the guy has made a full recovery.

On another day, a 25min wait could prove fatal.

I've just had a phone call from David Martin I think it was, just to say the club are taking it very seriously the stewards seemingly all went on a break at the same time obviously that should never have happened and he assured me there will be steps taken to make sure that never happens again.

Is that really the best he could come up with?.

He should be ashamed.

Back