Oldco, HMRC, Wishful thinking and the mystic king. (long OP)

KennowayAli

With another report due any week now from BDO on the state of play with oldco i took a look at the last one from dec 19 and picked up on a few things that might have got lost due to the reports that HMRC had massively grossed up the clubs tax bill, these interesting and complex facts and wishful thinking may become relevant in the months and years ahead so here goes.

HMRC £13m has been admitted this is from the Whytes ruinous stint and gave HMRC power to put oldco in its forced hiatus. £3m admitted this from the wee tax case this was still in dispute upto the last year and why res 12 was doomed to fail.

EBT £50m disputed (held) this has had to date £24m knocked off due too disgusting grossing up of penalties on it with the further £48m still disputed by BDO, reports in dec suggest that another£ 26m will be wiped off the final bill but this could possibly be higher and be as much as 32m. So at this moment in time 16m out of the £94m claim on creditors list is outstanding. BDO have also made a interim £2.7m payment to HMRC.

WISHFUL THINKING
I looked at the interim payment of £420,000 that was made to ticketus i also noticed that lawyers were paid £25,000 for litigation with them, going by this and how they bankrupted whyte in court with a claim of 17.7m costs and damages, looks like BDO have secured a reduction on this down too £11m from £27m its also looks like ticketus have asked that BDO not to mention this in the report as part of the agreement however this might be wishful thinking and i stand
too be corrected.

FACT
It seems like the trade debts have stayed the same and stand at £7m debenture holders however have only made claims of 1.5m down from 7.7m. Football debts were mostly paid off by the club, going by interim payments made and an article on the rangers website this is down too around £400,000 that just leaves the £20m listed thats dave king investment and £10m of ordinary shareholders who wont receive any money at all. This means oldcos whole admitted debt at moment stands at £35m with 50m still in dispute with HMRC and with the reports that another 25m plus might be struck off oldco final bill will lead to a possible high of around £60m and a low of £55m. With the cost of legal fees running at 18m plus so far and rising with £29m plus costs claim in against duff n phelps this will become important as will and £9.5m held in oldcos accounts and with a whyte company (wavetower) being paid off 1.8m to end dispute over assets this complex case is nearing the end game and its looking likely that vast majority of debt will be paid off and would have been if not for the eye watering vile legal bill. I will now move on and leave you with the thoughts of the mystic king himself regarding oldco.

daily record sept 2015 corn beef queef Q&A with dave king

Q: Why is reviving the Oldco important to you?

A: It would be a good thing to do. It would be back to the traditional Rangers. I think the supporters would like it.
It is not economically important but it is something I would like to do.

Q: Is it feasible?

A: It is practically feasible and legally feasible. We just have to get in the position where the liquidators have done everything they can. The club can then be rehabilitated.

But if you have all these claims floating around, where we don’t really know who is claiming assets and what they are, then it will continue for a longer period.

Q: Would this result in the oldco’s creditors being paid back in full?

A: You don’t have to pay 100p in the pound to creditors. If creditors accept a compromise and waive some of the debt it could be 50p or 60p in the pound.

If this is possible ...I totally agree with Dave King.
That last part of course ... about not paying out the full 100% to the pound, although it has now happened to many clubs over the years...will never be forgotten by our many, many adversaries, but I think it's still important that we safe guard our club history, and the 100 plus odd years that came before this, going forward, and that there shall be no doubt that we are still the club that was founded in 1872, and put this to bed...and no slurs or detractions will ever change that.

Leave it where it is. It’s done, we’re over the worst of it now.

Resurrecting the old company will leave us open to charges our enemies wish to level against us but can’t due to our liquidation and the five way agreement. One of the main reasons Res12 was a non starter was the fact the company wasn’t around to punish and furthermore the five way agreement compelled no further punishments.

I get the feeling most of the parties involved wish they could get rid of that agreement if they could and go after us stronger than they did at the time. Absolutely no benefit to us by taking that risk. The only people who could suffer by poking that particular fire is us.

Also it would be like admitting the new club pish was correct, which is wasn’t and isnt.

I think the term to do this is called ‘sisting’.
Only issue I would see is who does the company belong to? Can King get it as a creditor and former shareholder? Or does it go to Murray or even Whyte?
Personally if it could be done I’d like to see us bring it back as a subsidiary type company under The Rangers Football Club ltd.
I think it would be a nice thing for the supporters tbh and don’t really see any harm in it.

Resurrecting the old company will leave us open to charges our enemies wish to level against us but can’t due to our liquidation and the five way agreement. One of the main reasons Res12 was a non starter was the fact the company wasn’t around to punish and furthermore the five way agreement compelled no further punishments.

I get the feeling most of the parties involved wish they could get rid of that agreement if they could and go after us stronger than they did at the time. Absolutely no benefit to us by taking that risk. The only people who could suffer by poking that particular fire is us.

Also it would be like admitting the new club pish was correct, which is wasn’t and isnt.
So HMRC leak sensitive tax documents Lloyds bank force through a takeover (see whytes trial) HMRC gross up the EBT bill just forget it in case our enemies have something too say.
I think the term to do this is called ‘sisting’.
Only issue I would see is who does the company belong to? Can King get it as a creditor and former shareholder? Or does it go to Murray or even Whyte?
Personally if it could be done I’d like to see us bring it back as a subsidiary type company under The Rangers Football Club ltd.
I think it would be a nice thing for the supporters tbh and don’t really see any harm in it.
Assets claim been settled pal king and ordinary shareholders will be in control that would have been stipulated in the settled claim with whytes old company heres 1.8m to get rid and move it on.

Last edited:
Don’t think it will ever happen but two main thoughts about the situation as a whole.

What was the actual point of HMRC chasing this so vehemently just to get pennies in the pound back? A payment plan spread over a decade or more would have seen a far bigger return for everyone.

We were told they would go after other clubs/companies well I’ve yet to see much of that after 2 and a half years.

Secondly BDO seem to be the only winners out of this not far off 8 years and millions In fees.

So HMRC leak sensitive tax documents Lloyds bank force through a takeover (see whytes trial) HMRC gross up the EBT bill just forget it in case our enemies have something too say.

Assets claim been settled pal king and ordinary shareholders will be in control that would have been stipulated in the settled claim with whytes old company heres 1.8m to get rid and move it on.
Do we know potential timelines? Would be great to have it done for our 150th anniversary.
Would also be great if any guys ITK have any idea if the club are actively still pursuing this or if there’s still an appetite for it.

Don’t think it will ever happen but two main thoughts about the situation as a whole.

What was the actual point of HMRC chasing this so vehemently just to get pennies in the pound back? A payment plan spread over a decade or more would have seen a far bigger return for everyone.

We were told they would go after other clubs/companies well I’ve yet to see much of that after 2 and a half years.

Secondly BDO seem to be the only winners out of this not far off 8 years and millions In fees.

Dr death

Once the EBT is finally sorted out then documents can come under scrutiny also can start asking questions on how they were leaked out in first place and what happened with the police investigation in 2013.

Also Lloyds bank could come into things aswell due to what came out in whytes trial via whistle blowers evidence that the sale was forced through and the players init were on a cut of the debt payment.

I can see King going for this AND pulling it off. It would be a massive fcuk you to the mint as well which I’m sure he would take a lot of pleasure from.

Don,t really care what our enemies think mate .haters got to hater so it dosn,t really matter what they think.

I’m pretty sure Murray offered £10 million in 2008/9 to settle and HMRC knocked it back saying they’d be using us as a test case. However Arsenal were allowed to settle!
Plus I’m pretty sure there were photos kicking about a while back of the people involved in this from HMRC (Dundee United and scum fans) all dressed up as zombies and all celebrating us ‘dying’. They weren’t exactly hiding it as the photos were all over Twitter.

I’m pretty sure Murray offered £10 million in 2008/9 to settle and HMRC knocked it back saying they’d be using us as a test case. However Arsenal were allowed to settle!
Plus I’m pretty sure there were photos kicking about a while back of the people involved in this from HMRC (Dundee United and scum fans) all dressed up as zombies and all celebrating us ‘dying’. They weren’t exactly hiding it as the photos were all over Twitter.
Yeah vangaurd bears had them up on their site named and shamed, this is the question what did the police find out in 2013 when the crown office asked them too investigate the leak does king have the info? Check his comments from Nov 2019 when the grossing up times article story broke.

What's abundantly clear is that the Administrator's are just dragging all this on till the money is all gone and they've taken every penny possible out of the old company.
Yeah if they secure the payout from duff n phelps the money spent on legal fees and the surplus they hold would have paid off all debts with a few million left over.

Yeah vangaurd bears had them up on their site named and shamed, this is the question what did the police find out in 2013 when the crown office asked them too investigate the leak does king have the info? Check his comments from Nov 2019 when the grossing up times article story broke.
What did he say again mate? I can’t remember last week never mind last year.

If theres been any wrong doing and its proven I would be willing to raise a claim against them (HMRC) on behalf of the shareholders.
That's just from memory but accurate.
Wrong doing will have the leak at the heart of it.

What a crock of sh!t!

“Admitting the new club p!sh was correct”?o_O

It’s there in black and white from the summer of 2012 in official statements from the administrators,the liquidatiors and HMRC that the ownership of the club was transferred between the 2 companies.All there’s ever been since is tinfoil conspiracy theories from crackpots.

To make us un sellable to anybody other than the spivs that were already lined up to bleed the club and fan dry. The main point was so they could keep us from getting close to them again.

With another report due any week now from BDO on the state of play with oldco i took a look at the last one from dec 19 and picked up on a few things that might have got lost due to the reports that HMRC had massively grossed up the clubs tax bill, these interesting and complex facts and wishful thinking may become relevant in the months and years ahead so here goes.

HMRC £13m has been admitted this is from the Whytes ruinous stint and gave HMRC power to put oldco in its forced hiatus. £3m admitted this from the wee tax case this was still in dispute upto the last year and why res 12 was doomed to fail.

EBT £50m disputed (held) this has had to date £24m knocked off due too disgusting grossing up of penalties on it with the further £48m still disputed by BDO, reports in dec suggest that another£ 26m will be wiped off the final bill but this could possibly be higher and be as much as 32m. So at this moment in time 16m out of the £94m claim on creditors list is outstanding. BDO have also made a interim £2.7m payment to HMRC.

WISHFUL THINKING
I looked at the interim payment of £420,000 that was made to ticketus i also noticed that lawyers were paid £25,000 for litigation with them, going by this and how they bankrupted whyte in court with a claim of 17.7m costs and damages, looks like BDO have secured a reduction on this down too £11m from £27m its also looks like ticketus have asked that BDO not to mention this in the report as part of the agreement however this might be wishful thinking and i stand
too be corrected.

FACT
It seems like the trade debts have stayed the same and stand at £7m debenture holders however have only made claims of 1.5m down from 7.7m. Football debts were mostly paid off by the club, going by interim payments made and an article on the Rangers website this is down too around £400,000 that just leaves the £20m listed thats dave king investment and £10m of ordinary shareholders who wont receive any money at all. This means oldcos whole admitted debt at moment stands at £35m with 50m still in dispute with HMRC and with the reports that another 25m plus might be struck off oldco final bill will lead to a possible high of around £60m and a low of £55m. With the cost of legal fees running at 18m plus so far and rising with £29m plus costs claim in against duff n phelps this will become important as will and £9.5m held in oldcos accounts and with a whyte company (wavetower) being paid off 1.8m to end dispute over assets this complex case is nearing the end game and its looking likely that vast majority of debt will be paid off and would have been if not for the eye watering vile legal bill. I will now move on and leave you with the thoughts of the mystic king himself regarding oldco.

daily record sept 2015 corn beef queef Q&A with dave king

Q: Why is reviving the Oldco important to you?

A: It would be a good thing to do. It would be back to the traditional Rangers. I think the supporters would like it.
It is not economically important but it is something I would like to do.

Q: Is it feasible?

A: It is practically feasible and legally feasible. We just have to get in the position where the liquidators have done everything they can. The club can then be rehabilitated.

But if you have all these claims floating around, where we don’t really know who is claiming assets and what they are, then it will continue for a longer period.

Q: Would this result in the oldco’s creditors being paid back in full?

A: You don’t have to pay 100p in the pound to creditors. If creditors accept a compromise and waive some of the debt it could be 50p or 60p in the pound.

sound mate. Don’t understand much of that at all

What's abundantly clear is that the Administrator's are just dragging all this on till the money is all gone and they've taken every penny possible out of the old company.
Either that or they're trying to claim every penny due to the club. The bigger that figure is the bigger the legal fees but if we subtract the legal fees we'll get a better idea of the true figure we owed. It won't be much.

Named and shamed, what happened about them then?
They probably got a job promotion and a discount on their season tickets at Parkpaed.

D&P were the Administratiors. Liquidation is now BDO, & they did get £24m out of Collier Bristol th at D&P would never have bothered pursuing.

There's more chance of me having a threesome with Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba than the Oldco being rescued by anyone including Dave King and being used to operate the football club again.

This one million times over.
HMRC need to be looked at, the people inside HMRC who drove this need to be scrutinised.
I strongly suspect, but hope I am wrong, that this was driven by individuals who used public interest as a convenient smokescreen to destroy a hated (for them) institution.
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but the evidence of this opening a door to chasing down the thousands of EBT's used so ubiquitously throughout the UK economy, doesn't seem so far to be the so-called reasonable grounds for a witchhunt against Rangers as a test case.

If I had a Tommy Gun................................................

There's more chance of me having a threesome with Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba than the Oldco being rescued by anyone including Dave King and being used to operate the football club again.
So was Dave King lying then? He’s said it’s the eventual plan to do.

So was Dave King lying then? He’s said it’s the eventual plan to do.

Well, King used the conjunctive ...

Could the wiping of any tax debt associated with the oldco make this sort of move possible?

“We have a vision going forward where I would like to see us taking oldco out of liquidation and putting assets back into Oldco – putting Rangers back into the old company,” said Dave King.
“We can’t do it while all this stuff is being sorted out.
“It would be a good thing to do. It would be back to the traditional Rangers.

“I think the supporters would like it. It is not economically important but it is something I would like to do. It would provide a sense of closure.

“You can never rewind what has happened but in 100 years’ time, you might look back and say there was a blip of four or five years in Rangers’ history when this all happened and it was resolved to the norm again.
“It is practically feasible and legally feasible. We just have to get in the position where the liquidators have done everything they can. The club can then be rehabilitated.”

The possibility is there, whether he or someone else takes it up remains to be seen. At this moment in time, the process as such needs to concluded, yet the company not fully liquidated.

Funny how 2 active members are bringing all this up, one posting it, the other liking everything they post.
Got too start posting at some point david also by going by the big story tha broke about HMRC in dec this coming report could contain more news to with it so its relevant too
A.what king said in 2015
B. The end of the begining ETB dispute and the documentation oh why they have done what they have done and possibly start of getting answers on the leak.
C. Striking off of vast sums of monies owed football debt 3m ticketus 16m debenture holders 6.2m HMRC 26m so far.
D. The 30m claim in against duff and phelps for under selling assets.
E. The massive legal bill that stands at 18m.

Funny how 2 active members are bringing all this up, one posting it, the other liking everything they post.
Maybe we are genuinely interested and care about this; no?
For me personally it would mean a lot as 2012 is something I’ll never forget. However winning 55 and possibly bringing the oldco back would give me and a lot of other bears some closure.

@KennowayAli I've only had a very brief look at the December report so excuse me if I've missed anything obvious.

One of the reason the Liquidators costs are so high is because the case against CollyerBristow, which netted them £25m, was on a no win-no fee basis. That costs money. In this case the legal firm engaged got 10% - a cool £2.5m. Its also a much more complicated Liquidation that normal. As I've said earlier, the Leeds United liquidation took 12 years - we may have a long way to go yet.

You've also chosen to present the rosiest of pictures. Yes, there is a huge claim in against Duff and Phelps. I don't think there is even any indication of it going to Court yet. I suspect it will be either abandoned or settled out of Court for comparative peanuts. Similarly, the debt of £48m to HMRC is indeed in dispute and will, almost certainly, reduce further. However, it won't disappear altogether and will remain substantial.

To put things into perspective. Currently, by my calculation - and I am a Creditor myself - we've received 6.9p in the pound.

This is quite simply never going to happen, and I really don't see the point anyway. The limited company operates the football club. The football club is now operated by a different limited company. So what.

Re HMRC, when will people get this. The Supreme Court ruling has basically destroyed the disguised remuneration world, and people failing to pay hundreds of millions in tax they owe. HMRC are in the process of collecting huge historic debts and will save an absolute fortune, billions, going forward.

That's what this was about and the reason Rangers were used was because of the way it was operated, and the evidence available, which was apparently found by the Police when searching for something else.

@KennowayAli I've only had a very brief look at the December report so excuse me if I've missed anything obvious.

One of the reason the Liquidators costs are so high is because the case against CollyerBristow, which netted them £25m, was on a no win-no fee basis. That costs money. In this case the legal firm engaged got 10% - a cool £2.5m. Its also a much more complicated Liquidation that normal. As I've said earlier, the Leeds United liquidation took 12 years - we may have a long way to go yet.

You've also chosen to present the rosiest of pictures. Yes, there is a huge claim in against Duff and Phelps. I don't think there is even any indication of it going to Court yet. I suspect it will be either abandoned or settled out of Court for comparative peanuts. Similarly, the debt of £48m to HMRC is indeed in dispute and will, almost certainly, reduce further. However, it won't disappear altogether and will remain substantial.

To put things into perspective. Currently, by my calculation - and I am a Creditor myself - we've received 6.9p in the pound.
BDO paid paid out an first interim of 0.039 pence in the pound they have also held back (ring fenced 2m for claims must be for HMRC and duff n phelps litigation the latters being held up due to duff and phelp refusal too hand over documents and also police and court papers that were reasled after whytes trial this case will be pivotal too what king aludes too in his 2015 Q&A as a payout would mean creditors could be offered around 0.70p in the pound and you could argue they could have recived full amounts had it not be for the high costs of the legal issues and claims.

BDO paid paid out an first interim of 0.039 pence in the pound they have also held back (ring fenced 2m for claims must be for HMRC and duff n phelps litigation the latters being held up due to duff and phelp refusal too hand over documents and also police and court papers that were reasled after whytes trial this case will be pivotal too what king aludes too in his 2015 Q&A as a payout would mean creditors could be offered around 0.70p in the pound and you could argue they could have recived full amounts had it not be for the high costs of the legal issues and claims.

The first dividend paid out was 3.91 pence in the pound followed by a second dividend of 3p in the pound (para 6 of the December Report).

I'm struggling with your posts here due to the complete lack of punctuation mate, which is making them a bit difficult to follow. That's not intended as a dig, it is simply stating a matter of fact. So, I'm struggling to follow your argument on getting from under 7p in the pound to 70p in the pound. As I said earlier, you are presenting an unduly 'rosy' picture for which there seems little basis. As your thread title says there's a lot of 'wishful thinking' in there.

FWIW, I don't think King has any intention of bringing the Oldco out of Liquidation and nor does he need to. We'd be better focussed looking at WHY it was necessary for the Oldco to go into liquidation at all and the events surrounding that. The involvement of HMRC and their aggressive manner in pursuing the case and the actions of the Administrators and other personalities around the case are far more worthy of our time.

Last edited:
The first dividend paid out was 3.91 pence in the pound followed by a second dividend of 3p in the pound (para 6 of the December Report).

I'm struggling with your posts here due to the complete lack of punctuation mate, which is making them a bit difficult to follow. So, I'm struggling to follow your argument on getting from under 7p in the pound to 70p in the pound. As I said earlier, you are presenting an unduly 'rosy' picture for which there seems little basis.

FWIW, I don't think King has any intention of bringing the Oldco out of Liquidation and nor does he need to. We'd be better focussed looking at WHY it was necessary for the Oldco to go into liquidation at all and the events surrounding that. The involvement of HMRC and their aggressive manner in pursuing the case and the actions of the Administrators and other personalities around the case are far more worthy of our time.

The reason for the liquidation was simple, HMRC refused the CVA, and were always going to. Anyone saying otherwise was misleading the support.

It is HMRC's policy with regards football clubs, they feel the football creditors rule (which doesn't apply in Scotland) is totally unfair and always reject CVAs for football clubs.

The reason for the liquidation was simple, HMRC refused the CVA, and were always going to. Anyone saying otherwise was misleading the support.

It is HMRC's policy with regards football clubs, they feel the football creditors rule (which doesn't apply in Scotland) is totally unfair and always reject CVAs for football clubs.

Oh I'm aware of that @Greebo what I'm getting at is the fact that the supposed debt to HMRC wasn't anywhere near much as the horrific figures portrayed at the time and, had they been assessed correctly, may well have been 'manageable'.

Oh I'm aware of that @Greebo what I'm getting at is the fact that the supposed debt to HMRC wasn't anywhere near much as the horrific figures portrayed at the time and, had they been assessed correctly, may well have been 'manageable'.

The Craig Whyte debt and small tax case were both accepted as debts by the club. So it was an established debt, acknowledged by the administrator.

As soon as Whyte put the club into administration the game was over. The options were pay the debts back in full, CVA or liquidation. With the CVA off the table.

If shedding the debt via a CVA was his plan he miscalculated it horrendously. Or someone told him they could organise a deal, and it didn't work.

The Craig Whyte debt and small tax case were both accepted as debts by the club. So it was an established debt, acknowledged by the administrator.

As soon as Whyte put the club into administration the game was over. The options were pay the debts back in full, CVA or liquidation. With the CVA off the table.

If shedding the debt via a CVA was his plan he miscalculated it horrendously. Or someone told him they could organise a deal, and it didn't work.

Under £20m combined. The problem was HMRC and that ludicrous figure that eventually crystallised at £94m - only for that to subsequently be shown as a fantasy figure as well.

And yes, I am aware, that in every case where HMRC were in a position to veto a CVA as they had over 25% of the debt then they inevitably do so. I guess the point I'm making is that had HMRC come to the Club with a realistic figure then a deal could actually have been done. There just wasn't the will to do so.

Back