Older Bears - ex-player John Valentine has died.

Mosset Bear

I was reading my local paper (Press & Journal) yesterday and noticed the announcement of the death of a John Valentine (aged 88) at a care home in my home town of Forres. It stated he played for Queens Park, Glasgow Rangers and Buckie Thistle.

I looked him up in my Player by Player book and it says he was signed from Queens Park in 1956 but only played 9 games, one of which was "that" Cup final against the scum in 57. He left us for St Johnstone.

Did any of the older Bears on here ever see him play?

I was reading my local paper (Press & Journal) yesterday and noticed the announcement of the death of a John Valentine (aged 88) at a care home in my home town of Forres. It stated he played for Queens Park, Glasgow Rangers and Buckie Thistle.

I looked him up in my Player by Player book and it says he was signed from Queens Park in 1956 but only played 9 games, one of which was "that" Cup final against the scum in 57. He left us for St Johnstone.

Did any of the older Bears on here ever see him play?
My first Old firm game 57 final.Disaster :(
Young Johnny flung to the wolves.
Don’t think he kicked another ball for us
after that beating.
RIP Johnny.

My dad was at that infamous game.

Condolences to the Valentine family.

I was at that game felt sorry for George, the defence in front of him with the rest of the team just never turned up on that day.
R I P John.

Bit before my time but I remember my old man saying the poor guy carried the can for that infamous day.

Scot Symon didn't wait long in throwing JV under the bus and signing up Willie Telfer, probably saved his job. I think he was the only scapegoat out of 11 other guys.
Hate to think what the reaction would be today!

Back