Ole’s still at the wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
One manager has won the league for United in the last 52 seasons.

In fairness he won 13 of them.

Yesterday was their worst defeat to Liverpool since they were Newton Heath.

The Ronaldo situation is a political nightmare, there’s no way that Conte would want to start him in every game.

Before anyone gets their tampon in a twist, I’m a huge fan of Ronaldo but there’s no way he can play every week in a Conte team.

The Ronaldo situation is a political nightmare, there’s no way that Conte would want to start him in every game.

Before anyone gets their tampon in a twist, I’m a huge fan of Ronaldo but there’s no way he can play every week in a Conte team.

Watched a United fan forum thing tonight and they are adamant
that - if fit- Marcus Rashford is also undroppable as the execs see his social presence as invaluable to the Utd brand.

Last edited:
He'd be the best rotation player in the history of the game if his ego would allow it.

I'm no fan of Pep but there's absolutely no way the question of Ronaldo would even come up if he'd signed for City. Pep would tell him when he was playing, when he wasn't and wouldn't take any shite about it. He's the boss, that's it. Ole? Not so much.

And that for me is why he ended up at United,nothing to do with loyalty or a phone call from fergie,all to do with him being almost guaranteed a start

Not according to the interviewed fans after the game or RedCafe.

Neville is completely out of touch with the supporters.
Neville’s reputation will not recover from humiliating himself on Sky yesterday. To have Liverpool Legends like Souness and Carragher laugh openly at him was the end for Neville as a serious pundit. Japp Stam was correct about him and his weasel of a brother all those years ago.

Zidane is the obvious choice. Weird nobody seems to be talking about him. He'd be ideal, worked with Varane and Ronaldo extensively. Also isn't afraid to play Youth players if he feels they are good enough Vinicius Jr, Asensio, Valverde and Rodrygo are all good examples of it.

Zidane is the obvious choice. Weird nobody seems to be talking about him. He'd be ideal, worked with Varane and Ronaldo extensively. Also isn't afraid to play Youth players if he feels they are good enough Vinicius Jr, Asensio, Valverde and Rodrygo are all good examples of it.

Does he speak English?

United Stand saying his English is poor, wouldn’t be surprised if he can speak English but just doesn’t advertise it to minimise questions from foreign journos.

Probably more of a function of his age than anything else. I know it sounds bloody obvious but United need a manager who signs players to fit a particular system and way of playing rather than just signing them for the prestige, which is what Ole appears to be doing.

Ronaldo is a massive asset to United when he’s got the right players playing around him in the right system and right now Ole isn’t doing that. The priority for them in Summer should have been a World Class centre midfielder.

Probably more of a function of his age than anything else. I know it sounds bloody obvious but United need a manager who signs players to fit a particular system and way of playing rather than just signing them for the prestige, which is what Ole appears to be doing.

Ronaldo is a massive asset to United when he’s got the right players playing around him in the right system and right now Ole isn’t doing that. The priority for them in Summer should have been a World Class centre midfielder.
I don’t think you can compete in 2021 with a 36/37 year old forward who doesn’t offer an all round game any more or be able to take part in the high pressure game that the best sides play.

There’s no way Man Utd can cover for the focal point of their attack not putting in the yards.

United’s market cap rose by just unde 6% when they signed Ronaldo, that’ll do for Joel & Avram.

Had a look at Liverpool's last 9 away games...insane!

Burnley 3-0 Firmino, Phillips, Oxlade-Chamberlain
Norwich 3-0 Jota, Firmino, Salah
Leeds U 3-0 Salah, Fabinho, Mane
Norwich 3-0 Minamino(2) Origi
Brentford 3-3 Jota, Salah, Jones
Porto 5-1 Salah(2) Mane, Firmino(2)
Watford 5-0 Mane, Firmino(3) Salah
Atletico Madrid 3-2 Salah(2) Keita
Man Utd 5-0 Keita, Jota, Salah(3)

33 goals in just 9.

Does he speak English?

United Stand saying his English is poor, wouldn’t be surprised if he can speak English but just doesn’t advertise it to minimise questions from foreign journos.
His English is basic from what I can gather, likely knows a bit more than he lets on. He speaks Spanish, Italian and French, he'll pick up English fairly quickly. They've got enough French speakers in their squad that it's not a massive issue either. He's the best coach available for that job. Conte doesn't fit this group of players, maybe a few seasons ago he would have, but the Ronaldo dynamic is something that needs to be considered, he's also used to working with people who are competent when it comes to transfers. Conte is brilliant tactician but he's a horrendous people person, is not at all arsed when it comes to the nonsense political side of football. Zidane worked with Perez and the circus that is Real Madrid, he knows how to play the politics side of being a manager well.

Zidane also rates Donny van de Beek highly and the chances of keeping Pogba improve drastically if they get him.

I don’t think you can compete in 2021 with a 36/37 year old forward who doesn’t offer an all round game any more or be able to take part in the high pressure game that the best sides play.

There’s no way Man Utd can cover for the focal point of their attack not putting in the yards.

Even at his age he’s still their best attacking player, especially in goalscoring terms and will guarantee you goals that win games as he has done in 3, arguably more, games this season already.

Had a look at Liverpool's last 9 away games...insane!

Burnley 3-0 Firmino, Phillips, Oxlade-Chamberlain
Norwich 3-0 Jota, Firmino, Salah
Leeds U 3-0 Salah, Fabinho, Mane
Norwich 3-0 Minamino(2) Origi
Brentford 3-3 Jota, Salah, Jones
Porto 5-1 Salah(2) Mane, Firmino(2)
Watford 5-0 Mane, Firmino(3) Salah
Atletico Madrid 3-2 Salah(2) Keita
Man Utd 5-0 Keita, Jota, Salah(3)

33 goals in just 9.
Crazy numbers. Front 4 are excellent.

His English is basic from what I can gather, likely knows a bit more than he lets on. He speaks Spanish, Italian and French, he'll pick up English fairly quickly. They've got enough French speakers in their squad that it's not a massive issue either. He's the best coach available for that job. Conte doesn't fit this group of players, maybe a few seasons ago he would have, but the Ronaldo dynamic is something that needs to be considered, he's also used to working with people who are competent when it comes to transfers. Conte is brilliant tactician but he's a horrendous people person, is not at all arsed when it comes to the nonsense political side of football. Zidane worked with Perez and the circus that is Real Madrid, he knows how to play the politics side of being a manager well.

Zidane also rates Donny van de Beek highly and the chances of keeping Pogba improve drastically if they get him.
I actually love Conte’s lack of people skills, it’s fucking hilarious.

The United job is a poison chalice in any case under their current board. Of course it’ll always be a lucrative gig for any manager out there to take but I wouldn’t be surprised if guys like Conte looked at the mess their in right and decided against it on the basis of the damage it could do to his reputation.

Even at his age he’s still their best attacking player, especially in goalscoring terms and will guarantee you goals that win games as he has done in 3, arguably more, games this season already.
He can be their best player all he wants, but he will literally never ever fit into a Conte system and that’s the club’s big problem. Conte’s not THAT bothered about how good players are, if they don’t fit then that’s that. I think he said “ideas will overcome talent” when he was Italy gaffer, pointing towards just that.

Signing big players and not thinking about tactics is what has got United here, so it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I actually love Conte’s lack of people skills, it’s fucking hilarious.

That's why I think he'd be a mental appointment at a club like United. He just doesn't fit there imo. It would end in a similar way the Mourinho appointment did. Zidane is the appointment to make, he fits the job like a glove imo. Plays the kind of football that United fans expect as well.

Man Utd squad struggled with Mourinho's man management I don't know if Conte is the right fit for that squad at this present moment. I think Zidane may be the one they go for given that Ronaldo rates him highly.

Tuchel would have been ideal for this side but they've pissed about with Ole for far too long now.

Man Utd squad struggled with Mourinho's man management I don't know if Conte is the right fit for that squad at this present moment. I think Zidane may be the one they go for given that Ronaldo rates him highly.

Tuchel would have been ideal for this side but they've pissed about with Ole for far too long now.
Imagine we’re at the point where a 36 year old Ronaldo’s personal feelings are a genuine consideration for the people choosing Manchester United’s next manager.

Wild.

Zidane would be a massive risk as well.

Imagine we’re at the point where a 36 year old Ronaldo’s personal feelings are a genuine consideration for the people choosing Manchester United’s next manager.

Wild.

Zidane would be a massive risk as well.
Madness but me and many others are loving the downfall of this lot.

I keep saying it won't last forever but they stumble from 1 mess to the next.

That’s why I don’t think there was ever a chance he was going to City anyway and probably why they never actually made any offer. Strong managers won’t weaken their over all unit just to service his ego and improve his personal stats to please some marketing goons who’re more interested in shirt sales and merchandise.

He’s lucky he’s got the profile he has otherwise he’d probably be sitting the next few games out through suspension anyway. I wouldn’t cry any tears for him working under Solskjaer either, he’s probably chosen to do so because a stronger manager wouldn’t be so weak as to start him in a game against Liverpool where the team would have to suffer for his inclusion. I did say a few weeks ago I reckon Ronaldo could be the thing that finally gets Ole the boot and I think that’s still likely to happen.

Saying he got ‘x’ amount of goals at Juve completely misses the main point in that tailoring the entire side to improve his goals tally comes at the expense of the rest of the side, as demonstrated by the fact they got weaker and won less and less upon his arrival; and that’s been particularly evident with guys like Dybala. And further evidenced by Juventus and their fanbase complete lack of disappointment at his departure.
I think you and I were 2 of the few not jizzing over Ronaldo's return. Well maybe we were but only because we knew it wouldn't work. Ha.

Completely agree about the Pep stuff. Sir Alex wouldn't have even took him back if he was manager. He knew better than anybody there can be only one ego and its the gaffer's.

I am a fan of Ronnie boy though, don't get me wrong, but a blind man could see this wasn't a good fit and, like you say, his Juve days are proof a past it Ronaldo being the main man is a terrible idea.

Madness but me and many others are loving the downfall of this lot.

I keep saying it won't last forever but they stumble from 1 mess to the next.
If they don’t appoint a manager who will go into that dressing room and be prepared to mentally, verbally and probably physically assault a few of them (that’s Antonio Conte), I reckon we’ll see this continue for a while.

If they choose a wet wipe that’s worried about the players feelings, I can see it going just like Ole’s last few years.

Neville’s reputation will not recover from humiliating himself on Sky yesterday. To have Liverpool Legends like Souness and Carragher laugh openly at him was the end for Neville as a serious pundit. Japp Stam was correct about him and his weasel of a brother all those years ago.
What was he said again? Busy bodies or something similar.

If they don’t appoint a manager who will go into that dressing room and be prepared to mentally, verbally and probably physically assault a few of them (that’s Antonio Conte), I reckon we’ll see this continue for a while.

If they choose a wet wipe that’s worried about the players feelings, I can see it going just like Ole’s last few years.
Wasn't that Mourinho to a tee though? Never worked out well for him.

Wasn't that Mourinho to a tee though? Never worked out well for him.
You do wonder if Mourinho’s still got it tactically though, while that’s not too much of a concern with Conte. I also wonder if Mourinho is still genuinely scary, he falls out with a lot of players for no reason.

I think Conte takes no shit, but can back it up with results

You do wonder if Mourinho’s still got it tactically though, while that’s not too much of a concern with Conte. I also wonder if Mourinho is still genuinely scary, he falls out with a lot of players for no reason.

I think Conte takes no shit, but can back it up with results
Yeah it would be an interesting one for sure. Conte certainly has the track record but keeping a squad with about 7-8 forwards happy is tough going for any coach.

I think you and I were 2 of the few not jizzing over Ronaldo's return. Well maybe we were but only because we knew it wouldn't work. Ha.

Completely agree about the Pep stuff. Sir Alex wouldn't have even took him back if he was manager. He knew better than anybody there can be only one ego and its the gaffer's.

I am a fan of Ronnie boy though, don't get me wrong, but a blind man could see this wasn't a good fit and, like you say, his Juve days are proof a past it Ronaldo being the main man is a terrible idea.
I think because I have a well known dislike for him people think that’s what every negative opinion I have on the guy is based on. But it’s really not, it’s just what you said and what Wilson said in his article; it becomes Ronaldo FC and everyone has to play for the betterment of his stats, which is to the detriment of the team.

Guardiola wouldn’t tolerate Etoo’s ego mere months after helping Barca to a treble, so there’s no danger Ronaldo was ever ending up at City, he just won’t put up with players like that. He’ll finish the season with a good tally, but it’ll come at a price. I know a lot of people are quite passionate about Ronaldo and have strong feelings for him but I can’t grasp how people can’t see that the adjustments that have to be made to accommodate him, weaken the side.

Souness, Carragher and several others know it, even a lot of United fans are realising it. Christ even Neville himself mentioned that whatever plans the club had for the likes of Sancho probably went out the window the minute they resigned Ronaldo and had to reshuffle and tailor everything to his needs instead.

Last edited:
He has still been the most successful manager post Ferguson though
Not hard to be any better than the rest to be fair. Spending over a billion since SAF left the club was always going to result in some trophies being added to the cabinet although the haven't been close to adding a real major honour.

Think Zidane, aswell as he's done would be a massive gamble! Still a better option than Ole but Conte surely is a no brainer?!
Conte will be number one choice and has been an absolute no brainier from the moment he left Inter Milan. Would’ve been much easier if United parted ways with Ole in the summer and brought Conte in and would’ve made it a much less difficult job imo.

Zidane is also a top manager though who often seems to be overlooked when talking about the best managers in the world. Maybe because he’s only done it with Real Madrid? Or maybe simply as winning with Real Madrid is easier than working his way up from the bottom but I think he’s a very good tactician who gets the best out of his players. His trophy haul speaks for its self.

Anyway it’s clear that either of these 2 would be an incredible upgrade on Ole and could have United winning trophies again.

Yeah it would be an interesting one for sure. Conte certainly has the track record but keeping a squad with about 7-8 forwards happy is tough going for any coach.
Not really, Rashford is over rated and never a starter, same with Greenwood, Cavani should or could just be released.

U build the team around Pogba and Fernandes, Sancho and unbelievably a striker they don’t have.

Fred and Mctomonay aren’t good enough, matic is done, they need a right back and when you break it you can see clearly that it’s a myth that they have one of the best squads in world football.

How can you when u need 4/5 players ffs

Conte will be number one choice and has been an absolute no brainier from the moment he left Inter Milan. Would’ve been much easier if United parted ways with Ole in the summer and brought Conte in and would’ve made it a much less difficult job imo.

Zidane is also a top manager though who often seems to be overlooked when talking about the best managers in the world. Maybe because he’s only done it with Real Madrid? Or maybe simply as winning with Real Madrid is easier than working his way up from the bottom but I think he’s a very good tactician who gets the best out of his players. His trophy haul speaks for its self.

Anyway it’s clear that either of these 2 would be an incredible upgrade on Ole and could have United winning trophies again.
Mick McCarthy would be an upgrade on Ole

Not really, Rashford is over rated and never a starter, same with Greenwood, Cavani should or could just be released.

U build the team around Pogba and Fernandes, Sancho and unbelievably a striker they don’t have.

Fred and Mctomonay aren’t good enough, matic is done, they need a right back and when you break it you can see clearly that it’s a myth that they have one of the best squads in world football.

Cavani’s still got a lot to offer, and they were actually a better and more balanced side with him because he works his bollocks off.

Rashford and Greenworld are world class potential keeping them out the team for any sort of spell they will be off.

Pogba should be one of the first out the door if they want to seriously change the mindset lf that football club.

Central midfield is definitely an area they need to strengthen. Why they persisted buying Sancho and ronaldo over a proper Central midfielder I'll never know.

Rashford and Greenworld are world class potential keeping them out the team for any sort of spell they will be off.

Pogba should be one of the first out the door if they want to seriously change the mindset lf that football club.

Central midfield is definitely an area they need to strengthen. Why they persisted buying Sancho and ronaldo over a proper Central midfielder I'll never know.
Rashford has a great PR team if anybody still thinks he has the potential to be world class.

Rashford has a great PR team if anybody still thinks he has the potential to be world class.
Not Messi/Ronaldo level but certainly in the bracket below if he is coached properly. Imagine him under a Pep/Klopp. All the attributes to be an excellent player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back