Oleg Salenko

Retired pretty young.

Holds the record (I think) of being a player to finish top scorer at an international tournament, with the least amount of games.

Strange player, but I remember his role in the 2-0 OF game where Gazza scores the deft touch - his replacement was also a bit of a strange player at us.

A brilliant finisher but very unfit and as you say, didn't really seem to fancy it here for whatever reason.
Possibly due to the cultural differences.

I’m sure a few players from the Iron curtain who had got a new sense of freedom in the 90s due to the collapse of Yugoslavia - lost interest in the actual football part.

Retired pretty young.

Holds the record (I think) of being a player to finish top scorer at an international tournament, with the least amount of games.

Strange player, but I remember his role in the 2-0 OF game where Gazza scores the deft touch - his replacement was also a bit of a strange player at us.

1994 mate.

He scored 5 in one game.

Good player, got the impression lads like him and van vossen etc wouldn’t fit in, in that dressing room at the time

We chased a pacey striker all summer in Florin Raducioiu then signed one of the slowest strikers I’ve ever seen. Scored a few goals but just didn’t fit our league or style of play.
90s/early 00s Rangers.

“Just sign someone, anyone that’s cool”

Before we moved into the “just sign anyone” stage with Marcus Gayle and Paul Ritchie appearing.

Last edited:
Waste of space, I always remember him diving for penalties a lot when I'd be easier to score.

Swapped after about 6 months for Peter Van Vossen so it worked out in the end, oh wait maybe not

Might be a controversial opinion but van vossen was a decent player. Didn’t really happen for him here though.

Celtic miss aside he did okay. Thought he may have flourished under Advocaat but didn’t happen. He went on to be more than decent for Feyenoord after us.

I liked him - I thought he was miles ahead of a lot of our team in terms of where he wanted the ball played into, and where he was making his run to. Laudrup & Gascoigne got it but not many others.

Bit of an odd run of him, Van Vossen and Erik Bo - 3 players who were all talented but were just never going to establish themselves as key players in that squad.

Might be a controversial opinion but van vossen was a decent player. Didn’t really happen for him here though.

Celtic miss aside he did okay. Thought he may have flourished under Advocaat but didn’t happen. He went on to be more than decent for Feyenoord after us.
9 goals in 31 appearances for Holland is surprisingly good.

These videos always remind me of how honking the defending was. Hearts players basically stood back and waited for us to attack.

Always seemed slow and had a poor workrate too. Although, I remember one game at Hampen v Aberdeen we were beaten 2-1 unfortunately.

He scored a cracker but spent a lot of the game gesturing to his team mates that they weren't moving.

Last edited:
Always seemed slow and had a poor workrate too. Although, I remember one game at Hampen v Aberdeen we were beaten 2-1 unfortunately, he scored a cracker but spent a lot of the game gesturing to his team mates that they weren't moving.

He'd have been right. The positional awareness of our players at times was way behind other Europeans which is why we were studded in Europe so often.

He was a technically excellent player.

He was just slow and looked ever slower. So was Amato though.

He had a decent return of goals.

Advocaat went ballistic when he found out he was used as the makeweight for Gio. Murray never told him that was how he was getting the deal done with Feyenoord.

It's a bit bizarre looking back that in the 10 season a Champions League winner was cutting about Bathgate playing reserve team football for us!

Two stories that did the rounds about him was that he insisted we paid him in cash and he kept it in a box in his house because he didn't trust banks and that him and Gazza used to hit Loch Lomond on the jet skis and have a flare gun fight with each other

IIIRC Sir Walter wanted the Romanian Florin Răducioiu but he opted to go to West Ham instead and on the back of his 5 goals WC game Walter targeted Salenko. Swapped for Peter Van Vossen eventually which i suppose says it all..

Weirdly, I was thinking about starting a thread on this very player just before the sad news about Sir Walter broke.

I was quite buzzing when we signed him, thought he'd be a fantastic business for the circa 2.2 million we paid.

Talent was not in question, but his effort, commitment, bravery and interest most certainly were.

Two stories that did the rounds about him was that he insisted we paid him in cash and he kept it in a box in his house because he didn't trust banks and that him and Gazza used to hit Loch Lomond on the jet skis and have a flare gun fight with each other

Can believe the first one. Andre Arshavin didnt know how to use a cashline when he came to Arsenal, said in Russia its just all cash.

Laziest player I have ever seen in a Rangers jersey. Great player that Mikhailichenko was he did not like expending too much energy and I always thought Miko was a bit on the lazy side. By comparison, however, Salenko made Miko look like the Road Runner!

Back